Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    it is revolutionary in the sense that it ditches the idea of individual apps, rather, its designed to allow users to "complete tasks". I think this is a fundamental changes, obviously it also bare significant risks if executed poorly.

It is kinda "synergy" but more extensive throughout the system.

The UI is unique and very artsy. Big icons with big bold fonts (whose edge is constantly cut off), zune like, but far beyond.

It is risky, because the idea of "apps" has been planted in people's mind very solid, although windows 7m is not anti-apps, its core operation is not app-friendly neither.

what palm should do? I think palm need to improve on synergy, greatly enhance universal search, and offer options of widgets.

windows 7m is so different from other rigid 4x4, 3,n launcher style OS, but i like the idea alot.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alijahg34 View Post
    mobileman where did you get your info from, I think microsoft just threaten your mobile phone maybe thats why your mad. maybe this can make you more mad.
    Windows Phone 7 Series hands-on and impressions (updated with video) -- Engadget
    I think so too... Palm had a great opportunity to change the game, and they let it slip by by releasing a half done OS. With the other major players about to hit back hard this year its hard to see Palm upping their mind share with major improvements headed down the pipe for the other platforms.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Definitely looks awesome. IMO Palm is going to really have to improve the Pre to get me to stay with WebOS. All I know right now is that when I'm eligible for an upgrade in June, I'm holding off until the WM7 phones drop. I love my ZuneHD and its interface, and to have my entire phone share a similar interface (and FINALLY replace my mp3 player overall, unlike the Pre's slow-*** music player) would be heavenly.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    I like the UI, looks nice to me. I could use that with no problems and enjoy it. As others pointed out though, lots of questions to be answered and M$ has been clear they will be giving some answers as time goes on, MIX next month for example. I must say it is an option for me down the road when I didn't really have one outside of webOS. People can rip M$ for being M$, but in the end certain essential things just work and then you add in the bonus things and it's a nice package. Wish I could watch their stupid video though, I'm in Ubuntu though so I am guessing their dumb video uses Silverlight and that is why it won't show up for me.

Love the email interface. Wish the Pre email wasn't so plain and boring (aka, straight-forward, what you expect from email).
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    I think so too... Palm had a great opportunity to change the game, and they let it slip by by releasing a half done OS. With the other major players about to hit back hard this year its hard to see Palm upping their mind share with major improvements headed down the pipe for the other platforms.
    I am really glad they just didn't copy everyone else. I real standout job
    no, i disagree, i do think windows 7m is a revolutionary OS, but that doesn't mean all other app based OS will die. Not to mention, WebOS is in the middle of the two approach, universal search and synergy is the same core ideas of windows 7m. Palm just need to keep improve it. and multitasking is still great on webOS.

if anything, I think the future of smartphone is between WebOS and windows 7m. all others are apps centric, and 2001 model at best.

WebOS is elegant, rounded and open, its a replacement of computers, while windows 7m is edgy, fashion, artsy, its a gadget on its own that bear no relationship with a computer (in case you wonder, all other phones are a complimentary peripheral of a computer), I have to say right now I love both. But i can see myself picking up a windows 7m phone, if it is executed well.
    I just finished watching the 22 minute walkthrough and I am impressed. Microsoft is offering Synergy! They are also integrating Windows Live (which I miss on my Palm Pre) and the Zune experience is also great (in comparison to WebOS - much better).
    I still believe that WebOS is a bit better but Microsoft's interface is slick and I could be easily be tempted to buy a Windows Phone device.
    One thing that I noticed is that transitions and app openings are very well thought out. Opening an app in webOS makes you wait with no indication of activity for a second or two whereas WP7 uses nice transition effects (the folding away and zooming into the selected app) to seem like it's all part of the experience and there's no lag. I really think that is a great idea and something that Palm needs to take a bit more serious.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    no, i disagree, i do think windows 7m is a revolutionary OS, but that doesn't mean all other app based OS will die. Not to mention, WebOS is in the middle of the two approach, universal search and synergy is the same core ideas of windows 7m. Palm just need to keep improve it. and multitasking is still great on webOS.

if anything, I think the future of smartphone is between WebOS and windows 7m. all others are apps centric, and 2001 model at best.

WebOS is elegant, rounded and open, its a replacement of computers, while windows 7m is edgy, fashion, artsy, its a gadget on its own that bear no relationship with a computer (in case you wonder, all other phones are a complimentary peripheral of a computer), I have to say right now I love both. But i can see myself picking up a windows 7m phone, if it is executed well.
    Nor do I, don't get me wrong I love webOS. Palm made all the other's wake up and now palm has to keep up, which they are trying. But over the last year Palm has done nothing but add feature most dumb phones already have.

It hard to sell someone on a platform that lacks what a $30 prepaid phone from 7 eleven can do. Not to mention big improvements coming down from all the other major platforms keeping palm a few step behind. Other than card view multitasking what does webos offer over say android? not much... And it seems ever month there's more added to what other platforms are getting and what palm still has to add.

It hard to sell someone on a platform that lacks what a $30 prepaid phone from 7 eleven can do. Not to mention big improvements coming down from all the other major platforms keeping palm a few step behind. Other than card view multitasking what does webos offer over say android? not much... And it seems ever month there's more added to what other platforms are getting and what palm still has to add.
    every new OS need a process, iPhone needs time to add copy and paste as well, Im sure windows 7, will need time to mature as well.

Palm does have a disadvantage of being small and resource limited, thats something Im willing to give them time. at least for now. mainly because there is no other better platform. This sure will change once windows 7m hits the retaile market. I would read more reviews at that time and make judgment at that time.

just to add, the over concentration on social networking is a bit worrisome. we will have to wait and see.
    watch and stop spreading FUD

Sorry, but my opinion clearly differs than yours. I think the new Windows Mobile phone looks crazy bad. It has 3 hardware buttons and one of them is a dedicated Bing button. The homescreen has a huge black bar of nothingness. The email, calendar, and especially SMS look terrible. I am an adult, I don't care about xbox achievements (why does anybody?). Lets face it, the whole zune platform is far from a raging success.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Sorry, but my opinion clearly differs than yours. I think the new Windows Mobile phone looks crazy bad. It has 3 hardware buttons and one of them is a dedicated Bing button. The homescreen has a huge black bar of nothingness. The email, calendar, and especially SMS look terrible. I am an adult, I don't care about xbox achievements (why does anybody?). Lets face it, the whole zune platform is far from a raging success.
    i can see the windows 7m has a different target audience. its very heavy on social networking, and edgy, fashion, artsy type. It may be just not your cup of tea. Thats perfectly reasonable.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    every new OS need a process, iPhone needs time to add copy and paste as well, Im sure windows 7, will need time to mature as well.
    Yes and no back when the iphone hit, the smart phone market was limited to geeks/nerds/business type users. After the iphone a smart phone is becoming the cool thing to own and releasing a phone half done is not the way bring in new customers when their current phone minus card style multitasking does everything and more.

I'm sure MS will release WP7 in a manner where it up to par with every other platform in terms of features and will improve as it goes. Unlike WebOS which released with minus features and is still adding them while other platforms are improving.

So as Palm works on the feature left out, the other platforms are adding and improving hard to see where Palm will catch up with this type of cycle going on considering their limited resources.
    There are plenty of adults who are very much into Xbox and Xbox achievements. I know several, granted they are all men, but still adults. A dedicated bing button is no different than a dedicated google button and I think everyone likes quick access to the search engine. I personally would like this option since I always use bing when I'm shopping online.

Saying the email, calendar and SMS look terrible is strictly a personal opinion. I personally don't like the iphone look, but I know there are millions who do.

webos missed the boat on synergy what happened to Hotmail user (the biggest email provider) what happened to syncing with my PC desktop. oh thats right they want a third party app for that, too busy playing with cat and mouse with apple to make there synergy respectable. Look at the two links I provided and you will see synergy down right. They will talk about the app store at MIX 2010. so stay tuned
    I'm sure MS will release WP7 in a manner where it up to par with every other platform in terms of features and will improve as it goes. Unlike WebOS which released with minus features and is still adding them while other platforms are improving.
    According to a few websites there are a few things/features that stop me from saying it's a day one purchase. Which is to bad cause I'm tired of my Iphone.

* Built on top of Zune HD Kernel
    * Fixed Screen size
    * Will show best results on OLED screens
    * Hardware manufactures will develop the phone in accordance with the specs provided by
    * Microsoft, otherwise the door is open for them
    * A Zune HD like UI with a few phone-specific controls
    * A Usual processor, not a speedy one
    * Capacitive multi-touch screen
    * Lacks background processing
    * To use Apple like notification service
    * Built on top of Silvelight and .NET (as we stated previously)
    * No multi-tasking
    * No access to system resource
    * No Process threading
    * Lacks visual voicemail
    * Wont run Windows Mobile 6.x apps

I don't think MS has official commented on the things I bolded so there's still some hope that these sites are wrong.
    I am far from very impressed with the videos i saw using the interface. Don't get me wrong, I love how pretty the UI looks and how everything looks so out of the box. However, in terms of function, it doesn't seem like a well thought out experience. I don't really understand the organizational structure of it nor the navigation. Some people have mentioned before that the iPhone OS and WebOS are champions because of their simplicity. This seems like it is counterintuitive in some ways.

In terms of it being revolutionary... I do not think so. There is no mention of multitasking or notifications therefore it will probably have a terrible set of those options when it releases. The browser seems like its slow as hell (it is IE when you get down to it). I do like the zune music player to an extent though.

At the end of the day, I still think WebOS is the better mobile operating system with the most potential. Again, this is just my opinion, take it for what it is.
    I understand your feelings, I am talking about your facts. like the search button its not a dedicated bing button, its UI based so if you are in contact it will search your contacts. and the hardware are prototypes just to show of the UI did you watch the video I provided
    webos missed the boat on synergy what happened to Hotmail user (the biggest email provider) what happened to syncing with my PC desktop. oh thats right they want a third party app for that, too busy playing with cat and mouse with apple to make there synergy respectable. Look at the two links I provided and you will see synergy down right. They will talk about the app store at MIX 2010. so stay tuned
    i agree synergy (and universal search) needs improvement to be even better, but there are barriers out there we can't ignore. I love the demoed BING search on win 7ms, but thats only because MS own it and they can do it, while palm can't.

at this time, win7ms is only a concept demo, I will have to, and everybody should as well, wait and see the real retail version of handset, before making final conclusions.

So as Palm works on the feature left out, the other platforms are adding and improving hard to see where Palm will catch up with this type of cycle going on considering their limited resources.
    it is only a sad cycle if you choose to ignore the advantages webOS offered from start, which no other platform could do to this day.
    Quote Originally Posted by xythander View Post
    According to a few websites there are a few things/features that stop me from saying it's a day one purchase. Which is to bad cause I'm tired of my Iphone.

* Built on top of Zune HD Kernel
    * Fixed Screen size
    * Will show best results on OLED screens
    * Hardware manufactures will develop the phone in accordance with the specs provided by
    * Microsoft, otherwise the door is open for them
    * A Zune HD like UI with a few phone-specific controls
    * A Usual processor, not a speedy one
    * Capacitive multi-touch screen
    * Lacks background processing
    * To use Apple like notification service
    * Built on top of Silvelight and .NET (as we stated previously)
    * No multi-tasking
    * No access to system resource
    * No Process threading
    * Lacks visual voicemail
    * Wont run Windows Mobile 6.x apps

I don't think MS has official commented on the things I bolded so there's still some hope that these sites are wrong.
    watch the video
    Windows Phone 7 Series – Show and Tell - Windows Phone Blog - The Windows Blog