Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    At the end of the presentation, they DID say Holiday of 2010, and the first partners they announced were AT&T and Orange. Meaning Sprint probably wont see WinMo7 until mid to late 2011.
    LG Rumor -> HTC Touch -> Palm Pixi -> Palm Pre+ (if they ever bring it to Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post
    Win 7 Mobile looks fantastic. The idea of making every phone a Zune is a great one. Multi-touch is a winner, of course. No clue about multitasking, that could be a downer for a few folks, but it hasn't held the iPhone back much. The integration and the GUI looks awesome. The PIM integration looks polished and very usable.

That looks like the first WinMo phone I would ever consider. Lucky for Sprint I still have 1.5 years on my contract LOL.

We'll see what things looklike then, but this looks to be a compelling design. If they hold true to minimum specs and don't let the OS get too fragmented they will be a true force in this segment again.

Unfortunately, just what Palm does not need.
    Once again it's about choices. A new phone or OS doesn't mean bad things for Palm. It just means more comp and that is could for everyone no matter your choice of phone.

You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned not letting the OS get too fragmented. I think MS looked at how Google was handling things with Android and the several hundred hardware manufacturers and decided to control the process for a better overall development standpoint.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kirk0625 View Post
    I already have a Zune HD, and with every picture, i had to keep telling myself, "Thats a phone, not my Zune." I'm interested, yes, because I'm already sort of familiar to the layout, and it will be interesting to see where they take this, but i think they could have differentiated it from the Zune a little. Why buy a Zune if you already own a WinMo7, and vice versa, why get a WinMo7 when you already have a perfectly working ZuneHD and WebOS device?

Carrying one device is better than carrying two. The Zune is not a cell phone.

Big one for me webos does not integrate with xbox live or msn. And the messaging plugin for msn sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post
    You would not buy a Zune if you have a WinMo phone, usually. Same foir iPhjone users. Unlikely to get a seperate iPod if you already have a suitable iPhone. On a personal note I never use my iPod since I got my Pre. Run m,y media through that device now. Same for my wife. hasn't really used her iTouch since she got her Pixie.
    My collection easily passes the 8 Gb limit my Pixi has, so two different devices is necessary in my case, but if someone had a smaller collection (or a 32 GB iPhone) i see what you're talking about.
    LG Rumor -> HTC Touch -> Palm Pixi -> Palm Pre+ (if they ever bring it to Sprint)
    My goodness. This looks horrible. How can anyone like this confusing mess? The big thing is that it scrolls vertically, how is that any better than scrolling horizontally?

Did anybody here watch the videos? The OS looks like a confusing mess. In addition, I been seriously burnt by Windows phones in the past. Why should I trust Microsoft now? Just because there is a new UI?
    Microsoft sure showed something new, but was it really that amazing? Where is the multitasking capabilities? Where are the notifications? How is a businessperson going to use an (all touchscreen) phone to work on business documents?

In terms of the UI, it is different. I really don't know how the public will feel about it. It seems simple yet cluttered, distinct yet meshed. Perhaps there is much more to see...

Regardless, we won't see any of these phones out until the end of the year. WebOS will be at version 2.x with (possibly) new hardware. iPhone OS will be at 4.0 with (possibly) new hardware. Android will be at 2.x/3.0 with new hardware. I don't see how this WP7 will be special 8-10 months from now.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Always liked the Zune interface, so I'm definitely interested in this. Looks amazing! Regular icons kinda look dated now..

Just wondering how the regular apps fit in and how it handles multitasking. It doesn't do multitasking like webOS, but do the apps stay open? What about multiple browser windows? Plus, how does it handle notifications?
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Always liked the Zune interface, so I'm definitely interested in this. Looks amazing! Regular icons kinda look dated now..

Just wondering how the regular apps fit in and how it handles multitasking. It doesn't do multitasking like webOS, but do the apps stay open? What about multiple browser windows? Plus, how does it handle notifications?
    well obvoisly there is much more to find out but the phone is not coming out till end of the year so I'm sure we will find out in time.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    For those asking about multi-tasking, I remember an article last weeks on engadget stating Windows Mobile 7 Series would not provide multi-tasking of apps, well at least not live muti-tasking like WebOS - the apps pause themselves when the user moves onto another app.

Here's the link: Rumored Windows Phone 7 details surface ahead of MWC launch: Zune-like UI, no multitasking -- Engadget
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    My goodness. This looks horrible. How can anyone like this confusing mess? The big thing is that it scrolls vertically, how is that any better than scrolling horizontally?

Did anybody here watch the videos? The OS looks like a confusing mess. In addition, I been seriously burnt by Windows phones in the past. Why should I trust Microsoft now? Just because there is a new UI?
    Different strokes for different folks. I think vertical then horizontal scrolling makes the experience feels deeper vs. say an existing Windows Mobile 6.5 device.

Windows Mobile was restarted completely from scratch, so its not just a new UI.

Also, there will be QWERTY (slide out keyboards, etc.) form-factors available. Not just one touchscreen only version, that was made apparent during the presentation.
  11.    #51  
    Hands on, looks like they are impressed.

Windows Phone 7 Series hands-on and impressions -- Engadget
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Well it is a huge departure from Win Mo... and it looks interesting... but lets not all forget... we are looking at a tentative relase date of Holiday 2010 (So says BGR)... thats alot of time for Palm to make webOS even stronger....

p.s. No Flash at launch... FAIL
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    It's really too soon to worry about it. Considering it will be almost a year. WebOS, android, even iphone will change in that time.

I think what's more interesting is the direction MS is going. Multitouch, interactive experience. What's really going to differentiate these phones? Just different takes on UI and services.

I still like Palm's take the best but they've got to get going in the hardware end. But they are missing some services that these others will boast. Windows will have zune marketplace, xbox live, and other MS services (which will make windows 7 phones a real competitor..not to mention all the carrier partners). Android has google. Apple has theirs. Blackberry has corporate.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    The quality of the stream was IMO excellent, unlike the CES stream which was horrible. I know.. Random...
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Another thing I hate.. everybody is saying that Microsoft Launched Windows Mobile 7.. ahem.. no they didn't.. They announced that it may launch in 10 months...
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    p.s. No Flash at launch... FAIL
    NO video at launch...FAIL
    NO desktop sync at launch... FAIL
    NO flash light at launch...FAIL
    Missing huge standard dumb phone features at launch.. FAIL

17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It's really too soon to worry about it. Considering it will be almost a year. WebOS, android, even iphone will change in that time.

I think what's more interesting is the direction MS is going. Multitouch, interactive experience. What's really going to differentiate these phones? Just different takes on UI and services.

I still like Palm's take the best but they've got to get going in the hardware end. But they are missing some services that these others will boast. Windows will have zune marketplace, xbox live, and other MS services (which will make windows 7 phones a real competitor..not to mention all the carrier partners). Android has google. Apple has theirs. Blackberry has corporate.
    Thats true, I can't wait for HTC's announcement tomorrow. I hope they display the Supersonic and announce its availability on sprint.
    I absolutely love my Zune HD. The UI seems confusing at first, but once you get past the learning curve it's very intuitive, extremely fast, and visually appealing in a minimalistic kind of way. The thing is just so smooth. Perfect example is viewing high resolution images on it. I threw on an album with 900+ images at 1680x1050 and I can swipe through them with absolutely no delay.

When I first got my HD I told myself if they would take this, turn it into a phone and add multitasking I would be totally sold. We'll see what they do on the multitasking front.
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post

Well they have not said that none of those things are available at launch its probably just not ready yet and also your talking about stuff WM7 phone doesn't have that a standard dumb phone has. I hope you won a WebOS device so that I don't have to list to you all the things WebOS is missing that a dumb phone has.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post

Um, the Pre didnt launch with any of those either.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast