Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    I have no problems with my pre (actually quite like it for the most part) but I do have an xbox and zune pass so I would have gone to whatever wm7 was had it only done xbox and zune integration. I really didn't expect them to go that far out on a limb with the interface but I can respect them not "copying" apple like everybody else did. After viewing their interface I really do see webos, blackberry and android as "iphone enhanced" (where they made some things better... webos multitasking/synergy, google with the openness, but the core interface is still grids of icons). There are still a mountain of questions but its already shown me enough to switch.

Now my switch will be contingent on a good phone coming to sprint (because I'm not leaving my plan+discount) and I want a high end phone (HTC HD2 like) so I might be waiting a while.

Personally I think the biggest advantage it might have is xbox live integration.... gaming is a big deal on every phone and some of best ones atm seem to be the turn by turn multiplayer games. One huge issue is the friend system on these games where they all generally work separately. xbox live potentially fixes that problem and unifies everything which might make it the "premiere" gaming platform for multiplayer games.
    Last edited by jagowar; 02/24/2010 at 03:32 PM.
    I still like webos layout better, there is no wall of apps for me as I always use universal search to open anything not in the quick launch bar. And the multitasking setup is genius. I still might switch to w7s though because of zune+xbox, and webos' ridiculously slow app load time(that is a huge negative).
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    IMO I've used every mobile OS, except WinPho 7 of course, and I have to say WebOS can not be touched in terms of it's layout and overall UI, it still has some polishing to do and Palm still has a lot of potential to squeeze out... but I really hope they make it to do just that because this OS is only going to get better and better. I've had my phone since launch and there are still times I am blown away at what the phone can do and also some of the great home brew apps out there/amazing looking themes (Buuf!)
    they did mention there would be multiple devices over time and one would be a more treo like phone. All in due time. The rage is the big *ss screen candybar form. N1 and iPhone are the big targets. Multitasking was more of a saved state type thing I thought I read which is probably enough for most people. And why so many f'n questions negative nellie? It's just a freakin' first release. The Pre announcement everyone here is all ooooo and ahhhhh. Everyone just assumed it would all be amazing. Yeah, right... a competitor comes out with something new and everyone is quick to point out negatives when they know nothin'. More and more will leak out over the coming months to paint a more complete picture. I'll reserve judgement till I have more info. I just ditched my zune since I stream a lot more via Pandora and Slacker and have a 32gb Zen with SD slot. Wouldn't mind having a 32gb win7 treo like phone with a 32gb microSD card in it though. If it could do music tracks one at a time like my zen, I'd retire it real quick and just keep extra batteries around.

Would also imagine the PIM will CRUSH (safe to say?) those of Android and webOS. So people that worry about notifications, multi tasking and all the other blah blah blah can have them. I'll take the better PIM any day of the week since that's far more important for my daily use. But since the treo form factor probably isn't in the first wave, I'm sure I'll have a go around with a 2nd gen webOS device or possibly an Android device if they produce something a bit sleeker with a keyboard than anything that's out there now, but I doubt that.

Still exciting to see MS get back in the game and take advantage of the Zune interface. Maybe we'll see an outlook/zune combo desktop solution in the future too. Could be slick for the local syncers, like Palm Desktop on steroids.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
    Microsoft sure showed something new, but was it really that amazing? Where is the multitasking capabilities? Where are the notifications? How is a businessperson going to use an (all touchscreen) phone to work on business documents?

In terms of the UI, it is different. I really don't know how the public will feel about it. It seems simple yet cluttered, distinct yet meshed. Perhaps there is much more to see...

Regardless, we won't see any of these phones out until the end of the year. WebOS will be at version 2.x with (possibly) new hardware. iPhone OS will be at 4.0 with (possibly) new hardware. Android will be at 2.x/3.0 with new hardware. I don't see how this WP7 will be special 8-10 months from now.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    MS could well have shot themselves in the foot with this WP7 pre-publicity. Who's going to buy a WM phone now, when most of the indications are you won't be able to upgrade to 7 (I can't upgrade my 6.1 phone to 6.5 for example), and software developers are dropping/not delivering on 6.x (Skype, Adobe Flash) to concentrate on 7?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    because if you buy a phone now you'll be three months into the release of a win7 phone and can see how it's shaking out before taking the plunge. We buy phones for a year and move on. It's no big thing. At least in the states it works that way. Okay, in the states and on Sprint.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Eh, it's going to take a lot from Microsoft to ever make me consider Windows Mobile again. I had a Palm Treo Pro, my dad has the HTC Touch Pro and my mom has a Palm 800w.

I can honestly say Windows is my least favorite mobile OS.
    comparing winMob to Win7 is like comparing an apple to a tire iron. Play around with a zune a little bit to remotely get an idea.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Eh, it's going to take a lot from Microsoft to ever make me consider Windows Mobile again. I had a Palm Treo Pro, my dad has the HTC Touch Pro and my mom has a Palm 800w.

I can honestly say Windows is my least favorite mobile OS.
    It's not going to win any beauty contests, it can be infuriatingly non-intuitive, but it is incredibly powerful, and as iPhone users say, generally "there's an app for that", whatever the requirement. It might not "just work" but almost always is can be made to work on WM 6.x.

WP7 is (at least an attempt; who knows until it's out?) to make a huge move towards user friendliness. What goes out with the bathwater is the issue.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    MS could well have shot themselves in the foot with this WP7 pre-publicity. Who's going to buy a WM phone now, when most of the indications are you won't be able to upgrade to 7 (I can't upgrade my 6.1 phone to 6.5 for example), and software developers are dropping/not delivering on 6.x (Skype, Adobe Flash) to concentrate on 7?
    Nobody in their right mind.... MS knew their current marketshare would suffer by announcing this early but I see alot of people now waiting to see what wp7 becomes vs going to droid or iphone now.

They really wanted every app/service developer to move to 7 now so they are ready to go on launch (the pre is a good example of what happens when you launch w/o the basic apps) and it looks like it may be working..... Adobe taking a pass on Flash 10.1 for WinMo 6.5, will go straight to 7 -- Engadget
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    How do you shoot yourself in the foot when you already sawed off both of your legs?

Both Microsoft and Palm pioneered the whole SmartPhone business and in the end they failed miserably in keeping up with the industry. Palm ($140Million) survived their reboot and you're worrying that Microsoft ($251Billion) is hurting themselves?

I won't overyhype 7Series because who knows if it will be good or not. But the big miracle performed here is that many people who swore of WinMo forever are suddenly interested in switching back. I thought my TouchPro was the last WinMo device I'd ever use, but even as a Mac user then I'm very impressed with what they're up to over there (unfortunately Mac support doesn't look likely...yet)
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    How do you shoot yourself in the foot when you already sawed off both of your legs?

Both Microsoft and Palm pioneered the whole SmartPhone business and in the end they failed miserably in keeping up with the industry.
    One of my fears is that the SmartPhone is dumbing down. All of them. And whilst they are becoming easier to use, there will be increasing numbers of things they won't (and the manufacturer won't allow it to) do, because there aren't enough people who want it.
    I've been mentioning that since the Pre came out along with the Hero and Moment. Thank Google for the dumbing down of the smartphone along with Palm for jumping into bed with them. I doubt MS will take that root with Outlook under their belt. Palm takes it a step further by not allowing developers to access PIM info which further restricts the development of programs that could access it and smarten it back up.

And there's enough people that want it. They're just not using either OS and MS could pick them up real quick. When they make a treo style phone, I'll be in line to give it a whirl. As I said when I returned my Pre early on, I have zero loyalty to Palm. Once Palm Desktop died there was zero reason to have any loyalty to them.
    One of my fears is that the SmartPhone is dumbing down. All of them. And whilst they are becoming easier to use, there will be increasing numbers of things they won't (and the manufacturer won't allow it to) do, because there aren't enough people who want it.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    For those that care:
    If you think 7Series has a good concept, you'll be floored by the latest Courier demos. They say it's built on the same OS running Zune/7Series so if done right then this is a lot more practical direction for travelers/commuters than the iPad and the whole tablet movement.

Engadet - Microsoft Courier "Digital Journal"
    (The picture doesn't do it justice. There's 2 vids to watch to see what its about)

Even though I'm a Mac user, I really like the direction Microsoft is going.
    As someone who has recently connected a WM 6.1 phone for someone at work to the email system, I have no regrets about going to my Pre, but this is a nice break from the older WinMo solutions.

I can't say that I'm a fan of the form factor though. I'll call it about a quarter of the way down the page there are a couple of pics with a girl holding the phone and it appears "blocky" to me. My guess is that it is the width of an external hard drive (not thumb drive, actual hard drive) and just how the girl is holding it wedged between her thumb and middle finger of one hand while it looks like navigating with the other just doesn't appear to have have the ergonomic feel of using and navigating the Pre from just one hand. Just my 2 cents.
    I'm not a fan of full screen bricks either, but there was mention of other form factors planned including a treo style phone. A little Palm and BB competition is always good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    For those that care:
    If you think 7Series has a good concept, you'll be floored by the latest Courier demos. They say it's built on the same OS running Zune/7Series so if done right then this is a lot more practical direction for travelers/commuters than the iPad and the whole tablet movement.

Engadet - Microsoft Courier "Digital Journal"
    (The picture doesn't do it justice. There's 2 vids to watch to see what its about)

Even though I'm a Mac user, I really like the direction Microsoft is going.
    Yeah, I've been very interested in Courier in a while. I don't really think it's an evolution of Windows Phone 7 though. I mean, yes, it's built on the same Windows CE core, but that means almost nothing in the scheme of things.

This is more an evolution of the Tablet PC than it is an evolution of Windows Phone 7, in my opinion.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011