Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    OK. This is going to be hard to deal with. I love my Palm Pre and I love my Zune. I have a Zune80 and had the Zune30. I was planning on getting a ZuneHD. The interface is pretty much amazing and easy to use. The animation is smooth and beautiful. The desktop Zune software is amazing. This leads me to a few things I need to think about:

WebOS - Palm Pre
    -------------------------
    - No hint on new devices coming out to replace the original Pre.
    - Love my Pre, but the software is slow at times. I hate clicking the dialer for instance and waiting for it to load. Then pressing previous calls and waiting for it to load. This happens all over the OS.
    - I am on my second Pre, the touchscreen on the first one failed while the whole device sounded like it was going to break when used. The new Pre is starting the Oreo affect pretty badly. The slider mechanism isn't working very well either.
    - Let's face it, the build quality on the Pre is garbage (and this is from someone that loves the Pre). People may say the Droid is an ugly piece of crap, but my wife never has any of the hardware issues I do.
    - Love the way the calendar and email work in WebOS.
    - Like the simplicity.
    - The Pre has a tendency to freeze occasionally when answering a call, the battery instantly drains, and then I need to leave the battery out for about an hour to get the thing to boot.
    - Bluetooth just sucks on the Pre. I get static with everything I pair it with, that includes headsets and my car.
    - Anyone know if build quality is a LOT better on the Pixi or Pre Plus? That would at least provide some hope.

Windows Phone 7
    ------------------------------
    - It has Zune built in! Love the Zune UI and if the phone is similar it would be a big win.
    - I have an XBox Live account, I now have integration.
    - Facebook looks integrated a LOT better on WP7 than it is on WebOS.
    - I use Google services for almost everything. Does WP7 support these services (Gmail, Calendar)?
    - I run about 7 email accounts (two MS Exchange) on the Pre, if the WP7 can't do that, I can't go to WP7.
    - If the update cycle and design will be locked like that of the Zune, I can expect ongoing support from Microsoft and accessory compatibility across all devices which is huge.
    - I worry about fragmentation like what has happened with Android devices. Even though 2.1 is available 1.5, 1.6, and 2.0 devices are still being released. Some will get upgrades, some will not. I don't want to deal with that.

Other Considerations
    ---------------------------
    - I am a Sprint Premier customer and due a new phone in June. I could get the "Next Gen" WebOS device (if it gets released or announced) and wait a year for a polished WP7 phone in Jun 2011. Similar to the way a polished Motorola Droid was released and blew away all other Android phones before it.
    - The 1.4 update (and probably more) of WebOS is on the horizon. Hopefully it will fix the problems I mentioned above. Who knows what the updates will work like on WP7.
    - I have Ford's Microsoft Sync in my car. I am assuming that WP7 will have full integration with Sync. I haven't had any problems with the Pre (other than static on Bluetooth) but who knows what updates may affect my Sync system for further integration with WP7.
    - I like the underdog in Palm, but the market is getting really crowded. With 1.5 zillion different Droid phones (all with different interfaces and versions, and crappy Exchange support), iPhones, Blackberry's, and soon to be about 1.5 zillion WP7 devices where does Palm go?
    - I feel like Steve Ballmer inadvertently signaled the death of Palm today.

Thoughts all?
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Let me get this straight, your upset Im expressing my negative opinion about a windows phone, on a palm website. Sorry, you don't set the rules.
    No let's get this straight:

A) Not upset. Could care less. A phone is a phone

B) The fact that your name comes up repeatedly shooting down peoples' likes about the phone and finding different things you don't like about the phone to say over and over again. We get it. You don't like the phone. Are you trying to make yourself like it?

C) And you're trying to make it seem like folks that like the phone are beneath you. Get over it and out of the discussion if you don't like the phone. If I don't like something, I'll make one appearance
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Shhh, don't you know this thread is only for people who love this phone.
    LMAO and then you pretend like this isn't your 20th post in the same topic with 10 of them being you expressing your dislike about the phone, Mr. Adult
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Impressive stuff. I particularly liked the content-specific tile aggregation. That's really smart stuff. I thought it was funny how you had to keep typing the search button to start searching. I kept thinking there's no search button in WebOS b/c when you start typing it knows you're searching. Oh, and when he said, "Active-Sync" I felt my stomach twist into a knot.

I also wonder how nifty those tiles are going to seem if they get lost in a sea of apps that don't aggregate anything. Right now I have 57 apps on one page on my pre. it might get cumbersome with big tiles...

It DOES make me wanna get a Zune HD though...
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Let me get this straight, your upset Im expressing my negative opinion about a windows phone, on a palm website. Sorry, you don't set the rules.
    I know I'm responding to a message you intended for someone else, but I think the real headscratcher here is more about how strongly you feel about a product you have no interest in ever purchasing. There's obviously question marks all over 7Series but this is a preview that parallels the Palm Pre announcement at last years CES. It's a product in development that is revamping a dying product and now offering solid competition to the current market. So why not give it a chance?

[Note: I say all this as a person who owns a Macbook Pro, iPhone, PS3 and swore that my HTC phone was the last winmo phone I'd EVER use]

And speaking of Microsoft, I think it can't be ignored what a fine job they are doing in completely overhauling their tainted image. Vista, WinMo, MSN, BrownZune. Microsoft has been beaten up pretty badly in the last few years (and rightfully so in many cases) but their turnaround is pretty impressive:

Win7 - A solid OS that is no longer a punchline
    XBOX360 - Releasing early was a gamble that paid off nicely
    ZuneHD - Poor sales but a promising mobile platform
    7Series - Not only a WinMo reboot, a future-forward competition ready platform

You clearly have a chip on your shoulder restricting you from appreciating anything MS is doing with their phones, but not everyone is as closed minded. I'm not saying you shouldn't be negative, I'm just saying that maybe you should reign it in a bit. After all, you're never going to buy one of these anyway so why get so emotionally involved?
    Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    LMAO and then you pretend like this isn't your 20th post in the same topic with 10 of them being you expressing your dislike about the phone, Mr. Adult
    sweet, I have a virtual stalker.
    and i guess windows phone 7 has a stalker also
    Quote Originally Posted by alijahg34 View Post
    and i guess windows phone 7 has a stalker also
    I guess we should all just hold hands and sing the praises of the great windows mobile 7.

You could always start your own message boards and allow only posts you agree with.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    As a former WinMo user all I can say is this: nothing has changed with WinMo. It is still a clutter.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    i look at the windows 7m and i like it actually but i want to wait and see before i make any conclusions as to leaving my pre however what i am interested in is the gaming what type of gaming do you think it will bring to the table and it has a nice big screen also Microsoft has all the resources and the have a lot of money that can back this phone up. Is it a Iphone killer i don't think so but i think it could be a big competitor but it has potential just as the pre does
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I don't know if this has been mentioned before (I haven't had time to read the entire thread) but, if a manufacturer came out with a WinPhone7 with a physical keyboard (and a keyboard IS optional), it would actually be a viable alternative to Blackberry. MS has more money than RIM; they will not back down.
    • MS has Exchange nailed down (they invented it).
    • Multimedia (Zune)
    • Entertainment (Xbox Live)
    • Multitouch
    • Improved Browser (better than IE, which was just as bad a Blackberry's)

The only real advantage (or feature) that Blackberry OS5 would have is BBM. MS could tout Windows Live Messenger, but not really.

All that being said, much can change over the course of a year; but at the rate that RIM makes changes to Blackberry OS, I can say IMO that RIM will lose even more market share.

Personally, I'll stick to WebOS thank you.
    Last edited by RafRol; 02/16/2010 at 01:32 AM.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    That UI seemed cluttered. Sorry Windows 7 Phone series, but WebOS is just...beautiful. I'm keepin' my Pre..!
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Thereeeeeeee backkkkkkkk!!!!!!!! Thank God! The heavens have heard my prayers! I'm setting up my Craigslist and Ebay ads right now! Pre and Curve for sale! Best Offer!
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    As impressive as it does look, if Palm kicks webOS into gear slowly but surely like they have been doing and improve the hardware to be competitive if not better than the competition, I really don't see myself leaving the WebOS experience for this new Windows Phone 7.. sure it is fancy looking but compared to the only shiet WinMo... not to say it doesn't look cool and I'll surely want to play with it.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by digink View Post
    As impressive as it does look, if Palm kicks webOS into gear slowly but surely like they have been doing and improve the hardware to be competitive if not better than the competition, I really don't see myself leaving the WebOS experience for this new Windows Phone 7...
    That's a lot of "if's".

I'm not trying to slam Palm here, but do people really believe Palm is improving their OS at a pace that makes them competitive? We've seen the feature set of the highly anticipated 1.4 and I'm not sure why anyone is making such a big deal out of it.

7series reminds me so much of the hype from when the Pre was first demoed. Both were major players whos egos caused them to lose the market they practically invented. But it takes more than a flashy demo to sustain consumer interest. I'm not sure how Microsoft will do, but once Palm released the Pre then they don't seem to have anything left up their sleeves other than a bunch of user created "if's".
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    That's a lot of "if's".

I'm not trying to slam Palm here, but do people really believe Palm is improving their OS at a pace that makes them competitive? We've seen the feature set of the highly anticipated 1.4 and I'm not sure why anyone is making such a big deal out of it.

7series reminds me so much of the hype from when the Pre was first demoed. Both were major players whos egos caused them to lose the market they practically invented. But it takes more than a flashy demo to sustain consumer interest. I'm not sure how Microsoft will do, but once Palm released the Pre then they don't seem to have anything left up their sleeves other than a bunch of user created "if's".
    A big factor with palm loosing interest was it sat exclusively on sprint for so long. Now when it finally hit verizon, it is old news, they didn't make enough changes to the hardware/software to cause much buzz, and the droid already being out on verizon didn't help either.

Microsoft has the resources to make software improvements faster than palm, palm doesn't even have voice dialing yet, something even many dumb phones have. Since microsoft outsources the hardware, there will be a sea of competition for continually new w7s devices -compared to palms meager 2 devices.

If w7series comes on a front facing qwerty candybar (say a bigger pixi profile), and has universal search, then I will probably make the switch for the zune/xboxlive integration (although I think webos is a better os concept). I don't think I can give up universal search, I had universal contact search on my Q (favorite thing about that phone), and it is just too convenient for phone use to give up.
    I would totally buy this, the HTC Supersonic, or anything else with an OLED and Tegra or Snapdragon if it came to Sprint. The battery life and sluggishness on the Pre phone app is beyond justifiable anymore. Its more or less just a clock on a touchstone now.
    Last edited by likeobama; 02/22/2010 at 08:09 AM.
    After this I became scared for Palm. Before it was always Webos vs iphone and android.. maybe even maemo (meego now) but adding windows in the mix again leaves one to die. And Apple, Google, and Nokia aren't going out.

This phone is the future.
    Music+Video+Third Party together. Pictures+Online Albums. It's a smart way of organizing. This phones doing what synergy should have.

Live home screen that aggregates all your info and informs you of recent happenings.

Sure I can recreate the home screen experience to a point on my pre but the battery life suffers greatly and it's just not as clean an experience.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Palm's hopes of surviving look worse and worse. Nokia was a good contender to buy them up but have now developed yet another of their own OS's. Maybe Palm can get a big hardware manufacturer to buy them to get in the game. But when MS, Apple, and Google have options out there it looks bleak for a company without that integration.
    i'm not really a fan of the new look. It's way way too busy looking for me. i won't be using windows 7 mobile i'd guess.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast