1.    #1  
    Hi Guys!

Haha, it's taken me sometime, but I've finally settled down to a main PDA. After using PalmOS for 2 years, and going through a lot of changes, I've decided to go for the Rex 6000. The main reason, is because of money, I want to get an IBM z50 as a mini-laptop for school, and I couldn't afford much. However, the Rex 6000 has done better than I expected. I haven't quite got all my contacts and schedule into it yet, but I will soon.

The Rex 6000 is TINY!!! I love the size to death. It's so small, I stick it in my wallet and carry it with me. The screen is sharp and very readable. Input via the on-screen keyboard is faster than graffiti. It can hold my valuabe information a tiny package! However, it has its limitations. The OS is not so intuitive, and the PIM apps are not all that great. Games are very slow, and hog battery power. Even so, I'm in love with it.

My conclusion, if you can give up the power of the PalmOS or PPC, it's worth it. But if you can't live without all the multitide of PalmOS or PPC apps, don't invest your money in it. It's a great unit if all you need to do is maintain your PIM and play an occasional game. I got mine for $45, so you can beat that!
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
    I've given several of the Rex 6000's as gifts to my less than techie friends and they all love it. However, you know that Intel no longer supports that device and it's time on this earth is limited....as long as you can live with those limitations, enjoy it.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  3.    #3  
    Haha, I'm fully aware of the position of the Rex. However, there is a large community of Rex users still out there, and they're an interesting group.

My concern is never over support, because I've never needed it anyway. If it breaks, replace it with a new unit...haha. That's why I'll also be getting an IBM z50 to complement the Rex. Haha, two out of production units....big risk...I'll see how it goes. I figure, if these can last me through this next year, which I hope they will be, that'll be fine. By then, Sony will have came out with something to entice me, and I'll have enough money to buy it.

I have little money to spend! So I'm investing it in yesterday's technology, and even though they're out of production, I'm taking that risk! Because you know what?!?! These units are JUST as functional now, as they were last year, as they will be in 2 years. If they work for me, why fix it?
    nelson.hsieh
    Of course, you can buy Visors at www.consumerdepot.com for $35...
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are at!
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by Madkins007
    Of course, you can buy Visors at www.consumerdepot.com for $35...
    That's pretty cool, but the Visor is pretty big compared to a Rex, I can't fit it in my wallet I think the Rex is a nice low cost investment, and it's pretty cool too. Cheap show off PDA hehe...
    nelson.hsieh
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD
    That's pretty cool, but the Visor is pretty big compared to a Rex, I can't fit it in my wallet I think the Rex is a nice low cost investment, and it's pretty cool too. Cheap show off PDA hehe...
    Sure you can, but you can only do it once. :-)

Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Originally posted by RSGMOOSE
    Fossil Watch
    Only problem is the $149 price tag - wasn't the reason for switching to the rex PRICE?

Otherwise, neat little device, but I don't need to be THAT organized...
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by RSGMOOSE
    Fossil Watch
    I read about it when it first came out, it's awesome. But yes, much too expensive, I got the Rex because it was cheap, so it could complement my IBM z50. Also, I don't think you can edit entries with the watch...I'd need to add/edit things at school as well...that's why I chose the Rex 6000 over say the Rex 5000.

Last but not least, that thing's ugly...haha, I wouldn't spend $150 to beat my wrist with an ugly stick. I like my Relic Watch that I have now Not too fond of wearing a digital watch to make myself even more geeky...LOL, my screenname is already "AzNCoMpUtaNeRd" so...he he he... Or maybe I outta support the name...
    nelson.hsieh
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by Felipe

Sure you can, but you can only do it once. :-)

Hehe...yeh, though...I can imagine guys that keep their wallet in their back pocket saying the same thing...I never liked it back there anyway, just felt weird...as for people that keep their PDA in their back pocket...what are you thinking?!?! You just invested a few hundred in that thing, don't sit on it! I know you're sitting on "literal money" as in cash, but don't sit on money you spent on a PDA! hehe...
    nelson.hsieh
    Hmmm, they have books, or Avantgo for that Rex?
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    Hmmm, they have books, or Avantgo for that Rex?
    They've got books for the Rex. Also, any text can be transferred to the Rex as an ebook. The main source of those are from the online gutenberg project. They have A LOT of etext there! As for AvantGo, the Rex 6000 used to have a "Web" service provided by Xircom, but now that Intel has taken control, the service ceases to exist. There have been many people who've coded software to do the equivalent. However, I don't sync too much with my PC, and the sync speed is a little slow for my tastes.

The Rex is a nifty little device for what it does...PIM functions. Sometimes I might have down time to play a game, though not much. I like it, and it's doing well for me. Though...I'd never hesitate to go back to Sony, just don't have the money...although I'm not sure I can, haha, I'm so spoiled by the size of the Rex now!
    nelson.hsieh