1.    #1  
    So I have the Palm Pre. It's a great phone. I'm not going to lie. It's amazing. But I don't see myself keeping this phone for a long amount of time. I've been looking to upgrade my phone in June to the Samsung Moment with Google. I really like the keyboard & I like the touchscreen. I would like to try a new OS & I really don't want to go to AT&T & try their iPhone. So I would like to try the Android OS. What do you think about it? I don't mind staying with WebOS if Palm has a new phone out to us soon. And I don't mean the Pre+, that's not exactly a new phone. It's an updated phone. So I would just like to get another opinion. Which Android phone would be best? Thanks!!
    Android is a very accomplished OS. It's not for me but it might be for you. You want to get either the Nexus or the Droid if you want the best of the best. Good luck
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. I appreciate it! I can't leave Sprint because of my contract. But I really would like the Nexus One. =)
    I tried the Hero and couldn't stand Android, but it's supposed to be getting 2.1 in March so maybe that would make it more useable. By June the Supersonic should at very least be officially on the horizon. I have also heard that Samsung has no interest in updating the Moment but that's obviously just speculation. If that's the case though I wouldn't be too happy if I owned a moment.
    I had the Droid since day one and recently came to the PRE +. The Droid is very nice, screen is beautiful, but I would take my Pre over it any day. As a matter of fact Im gonna put my DROID on ebay this weekend. Dont get me wrong, it is impressive, but is it light years ahead of WEBOS?? Not as far as I could tell. I guess it really depends on the user. Im a heavy business user, calender, tasks, email, sms, maps, navigation and then at the gym, pandora, timer, and web to access Gymtechnik, the pre is perfect and much easier to "truly multitask". I never really understood why mfg made such a big deal about multitasking untill the Pre. My thoughts were "so you can have more than one app oen at a time BUT, you can only see one app at a time on the screen". So on the Droid you hold the home key for last 6 apps and then select, and on my Blackberrys, you hold the menu key and get a similiar pop up. As we all know, on the pre the idea of flick the card up or advance gesture full left to right or vice versa make a HUGE difference! And now I see what multi tasking on this tiny device means. Especially at the gym, Im constantly going back and forth from the timer to the web to record my exercises and checking the occasional email that comes in is a breeze.

Sure the WEBOs is not as eye catching as the Android OS, but what can that OS really do that the web os cant??? That can only be answered by the user, but nothing would be my answer as it pertains to me.

The funny thing is, when the Pre first came out on sprint, I immediately dismissed it. Again, after my boredom of the Droid, I was waiting impatiently for the tour 2. Already had the tour and storms, and then VZW suddenly got the Pre +. I looked at it again, laughed and dismissed it again. THen decided, what the hay, I can try it out for 30 days and maybe theyll release the T2 during that time, and got it 2 days after. Glad I did it. No BB for me. i think this phone is the most dismissed out there with all the android phones coming out and bb's, and users are missing out. And whats with this "mom" phone campaign??? Makes me laugh, but they are totally marketing this thing wrong, sure it strong enough for Mom, but its made for the business man- LOL Good luck!
  6.    #6  
    Awesome! Wow! Thanks for the replies! Haha. I'm really considering just waiting until a new WebOS device comes out instead of switching to Android OS. Like I said. I want some change but if Android is pretty much the same, I rather say that I've been with the same OS since they began. (WebOS) haha. Plus I will miss multitasking if no other phones have it. Haha. Thanks again everyone.
    I am actually a professional android app developer so i get to see and use a lot of android devices (not just phones). I prefer WebOS. My personal phone is a Sprint Pixi.

Multi-tasking is not about the device. Its about the user. While android devices do run tasks in the background there is no intuitive way for the user to switch between which one they are interacting with. Like the iPhone, Android's main interaction screen doesnt really give you anything more than a way to organize app icons. While android (and jail broken iPhones) allow the device to multitask, WebOS is the only platform that really allows the user to multitask.

Here's my advice for anyone: Carry both a Pixi and an iTouch. The pixi is great for voice, text, mobile apps (maps, etc) and contacts. The iTouch fills in the gaps with a huge app catalog and a big screen. Both are small enough to fit in one pocket together. The Pixi is actually better than the Pre in this regard, because it is small enough to make carrying both devices easy and comfortable.

If you are on verizon then their wifi Pixi can run MyTether giving the iTouch a mobile wifi connection as well! Each device compensates for the weaknesses of the other. If having one single device do everything is not as important to you as most people make it out to be then this is the ideal solution.

But if you are dead set on getting an Android device then the Nexus One is very sweet. That screen just kills. However, it will set you back $500 more than a pixi (with rebate). Is it really worth it? You can get an iTouch on amazon for $150 that does everything the nexus one will.
    Last edited by xylenz; 02/11/2010 at 02:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by xylenz View Post
    While android (and jail broken iPhones) allow the device to multitask, WebOS is the only platform that really allows the user to multitask.....
    Very well put!

To the OP: I'd wait for the 'Pre2' and/or the MS-Pink/Zune phone.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Very well put!

To the OP: I'd wait for the 'Pre2' and/or the MS-Pink/Zune phone.
    MS-Pink/Zune phone? You have info on this? I'd like to see. And don't worry, I went to sprint & I played with the Samsung Moment & their other Android OS phones, not very interesting. So I WILL be waiting! Haha. =)
    -- Alexis Segura

**Check out my theme Suave on Prethemer.com**
    Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leathernuts View Post

Sure the WEBOs is not as eye catching as the Android OS, but what can that OS really do that the web os cant??? That can only be answered by the user, but nothing would be my answer as it pertains to me.
    Are you serious? Web OS apps look WAY better than their android counterparts. Even the popup menus look better. Android apps look flat and one-dimensional to me. The fonts and graphics in Web OS trump anything Android has.

I was a dedicated android user (still have my droid) up until I got fed up with how clunky the multitasking was. But aside from the multitasking, the eye candy is what drew me to Web OS. I'm not sure how you can say that Android apps look better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince_Basil View Post
    MS-Pink/Zune phone? You have info on this? I'd like to see. And don't worry, I went to sprint & I played with the Samsung Moment & their other Android OS phones, not very interesting. So I WILL be waiting! Haha. =)
    MS is supposed to announce WinMo 7 and perhaps the Zune phone at Mobile World Congress next week....stay tuned.
    Last edited by MilenkoD; 02/11/2010 at 06:42 PM.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    I would keep the Droid as a backup still. It doesn't hurt to have a very nice backup phone. Although I'm not sure how much functionality is still available without a phone connection.
    I too am now thinking about moving from the Pre to the Moment, maybe just temporarily. I've had the Pre for a week and while I love it, the one thing I hate is the keyboard! Went into a Sprint store and tried a Moment and the keyboard was excellent. But I'm concerned about losing WebOS. It's a great mobile OS and like others have said, it has by far the best multitasking interface in the business.

Anyway, I'm well within my 30-day return period from Best Buy so part of me wants to just trade the Pre for a Moment since I can always switch back to the Pre before my month runs out, but another part of me doesn't want to go through the hassle. The only thing I don't like about the Pre is the keyboard, but that's a pretty big thing.

There are a lot of Pre vs. Moment threads, but most are from last year when the Moment was still new and still had some major issues. Now that many of those have been resolved, is there anyone who's owned both phones who can comment on some differences between them?
    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    I tried the Hero and couldn't stand Android, but it's supposed to be getting 2.1 in March so maybe that would make it more useable. By June the Supersonic should at very least be officially on the horizon. I have also heard that Samsung has no interest in updating the Moment but that's obviously just speculation. If that's the case though I wouldn't be too happy if I owned a moment.
    What about the Hero couldn't you stand?

Quote Originally Posted by leathernuts View Post
    I had the Droid since day one and recently came to the PRE +. The Droid is very nice, screen is beautiful, but I would take my Pre over it any day. As a matter of fact Im gonna put my DROID on ebay this weekend. Dont get me wrong, it is impressive, but is it light years ahead of WEBOS?? Not as far as I could tell. I guess it really depends on the user. Im a heavy business user, calender, tasks, email, sms, maps, navigation and then at the gym, pandora, timer, and web to access Gymtechnik, the pre is perfect and much easier to "truly multitask". I never really understood why mfg made such a big deal about multitasking untill the Pre. My thoughts were "so you can have more than one app oen at a time BUT, you can only see one app at a time on the screen". So on the Droid you hold the home key for last 6 apps and then select, and on my Blackberrys, you hold the menu key and get a similiar pop up. As we all know, on the pre the idea of flick the card up or advance gesture full left to right or vice versa make a HUGE difference! And now I see what multi tasking on this tiny device means. Especially at the gym, Im constantly going back and forth from the timer to the web to record my exercises and checking the occasional email that comes in is a breeze.

The funny thing is, when the Pre first came out on sprint, I immediately dismissed it. Again, after my boredom of the Droid, I was waiting impatiently for the tour 2. Already had the tour and storms, and then VZW suddenly got the Pre +. I looked at it again, laughed and dismissed it again. THen decided, what the hay, I can try it out for 30 days and maybe theyll release the T2 during that time, and got it 2 days after. Glad I did it. No BB for me. i think this phone is the most dismissed out there with all the android phones coming out and bb's, and users are missing out. And whats with this "mom" phone campaign??? Makes me laugh, but they are totally marketing this thing wrong, sure it strong enough for Mom, but its made for the business man- LOL Good luck!
    WebOS does handle multitasking more elegantly than Android...no doubt about it. However, multitasking is still quite easy. Yes you can only switch to the last 6 apps, but launching an app is easier and faster on Android than it is on WebOS because you can access an app either from your desktop, the app drawer, or by searching for it.

You mentioned multitasking between a few apps when working...that's no problem at all.

What WebOS doesn't have is widgets or a desktop. Widgets are quite useful and can be fun as well. To check or do so many daily things, I don't need to launch an app. I just look at my desktop. RSS feeds, Gmail unread message count, Weather, facebook/twitter stream, to do list, wifi/bluetooth/gps/syncing/brightness toggle, CPU Speed, free sd card space, free internal space, led flashlight toggle, stock ticker, calendar/agenda and music control.

That's just what I access on my desktop...no launching apps. You could for example have a timer/stopwatch widget on one of your homescreens along with your workout apps and calorie counting app. So everytime you go to the gym, you only have to look in one place. I know WebOS has folders, but it's not quite as elegant.

Android is all about customization and while WebOS has some, on Android you can transform your phone to look and act completely different very easily. You can tailor your phone to your needs.
    maybe you want one of these....? HTC Supersonic = HD2 with Android 2.1 + SenseUI

HTC Supersonic

HTC Supersonic for Sprint possibly spotted in the very, very ugly wild -- Engadget
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike20PR View Post
    maybe you want one of these....? HTC Supersonic = HD2 with Android 2.1 + SenseUI

HTC Supersonic

HTC Supersonic for Sprint possibly spotted in the very, very ugly wild -- Engadget
    Running SenseUI on a 1 ghz CPU and plenty of RAM is awesome. I'm speaking from experience
    @Deathwish238:

I found Android to be "clunky", it feels like an update to WinMo more than a new operating system IMHO. I had issues with lag and memory leaks like you wouldn't believe which made it almost unusable for me. Turning on WiFi for example. Grab a Hero and open the browser. While browsing try to turn on WiFi. It's just complicated. There is of course the widget which admittedly makes it a bit easier unless you don't want to clutter your screen with a WiFi widget. I personally like the clean look of the Pre so maybe that's my issue. You will however need a dedicated task killer on pretty much any android phone. Hardware wise it was solid, and although I prefer a physical keyboard it wasn't painful to try and type. Not a bad phone, but a bad OS IMHO.
    @Deathwish238:

I found Android to be "clunky", it feels like an update to WinMo more than a new operating system IMHO. I had issues with lag and memory leaks like you wouldn't believe which made it almost unusable for me.
    What WinMo did you use? My previous WinMo phone was horrid compared to Android.

Yes, the Hero and similar hardware specced Android phones have speed issues. That's a RAM issue and a little bit of a CPU issue as well.

I had a G1 rooting it and running optimized ROMs helped that issue a lot.

And don't tell me the Pre is fast...because it's not. For the Cortex A8 in there, the Pre should be faster. And while it's not the biggest issue, I was surprised at how slow it was.

But the reason Android can slowdown is because it's too powerful for its hardware. It's doing so much at once(always multitasking).

The Nexus One and Droid which run hardware comparable to the Pre(Cortex A8 cpus and more RAM) help the "lag" issue immensely.

Turning on WiFi for example. Grab a Hero and open the browser. While browsing try to turn on WiFi. It's just complicated.
    There is of course the widget which admittedly makes it a bit easier unless you don't want to clutter your screen with a WiFi widget.
    Complicated? I at times have had WiFi managing apps. Having to open a single app to control your wifi and network selection is not complicated. Simpler yet is a widget. And finally you can just go to Settings and control the Wifi from there.

It's straightforward and intuitive.

Having a blank boring desktop is a waste. There is absolutely no advantage to it. If you want clean, just keep your central home screen rather empty. That's what I've done in the past. I like clean, my Windows 7 desktop has less than 10 icons on it...but a mobile phone benefits from the quick access a desktop with icons and widgets provide.

I personally like the clean look of the Pre so maybe that's my issue. You will however need a dedicated task killer on pretty much any android phone. Hardware wise it was solid, and although I prefer a physical keyboard it wasn't painful to try and type. Not a bad phone, but a bad OS IMHO.
    Having to have a task manager is not a big deal. They have auto ending features and ending apps as needed is very simple from a widget or app.

You don't need a task manager on the higher end Android phones. Your problem seems to be with Android's speed...that is not a problem on the Droid or Nexus One. Oh and Google is soon releasing an update for Android that will possibly triple its speed. Yes, triple.

The only thing Android needs imo is better switching between apps. The Google integration is unparalleled, nothing comes close to the customization, Android's app store is 57% free...double every other market and you can't ignore the widespread distribution Android is receiving. It has already tripled WebOS's distribution in the USA. Oh and Android is phone-geek heaven. Always too much to do.