Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    ...Palm does everything the Droid does, better.

And you thought I was a troll, c'mon, admit it :-)

Seriously, it seems we are within just a few more WebOS releases of Palm having implemented all of the expected features of a Smartphone, combined with all the cool new unexpected or improved features, all within one year of launching the phone on June 6, 2009.

Good plan, great execution

Now if we could just get them to nail the marketing campaign side of the house...
    Last edited by rlopin; 02/10/2010 at 10:01 AM.
    +1 on marketing campaign, at this moment they suck....

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    UGGG! I wound up and was ready to throw the punch and then I saw the post! It's 10:30am and now I need a beer. It's 5:00 somewhere.
    +1

When I show people some of the kick ***** things my Pre does they always ask "what kind of phone is that?". When I tell them its a Palm Pre 99% of them have never heard of it. With some improved marketing this phone could do heck of a lot better.
    im curious why palm, sprint, VZ altogether, seems unable to come up with a decent ads campaign.

Its very strange, I dislike apple's products, but they sure know how to make ads.
    It's going to take more than marketing to get people to see this. Palm needs a screen, keyboard, and a few other hardware features to compete with Droid. Call it the post or whatever, but it is time for Palm to drop the missing high-end part of the WebOS lineup.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    UGGG! I wound up and was ready to throw the punch and then I saw the post! It's 10:30am and now I need a beer. It's 5:00 somewhere.
    Sorry to get ya' all wound up...but it seems the negative posts get more attention than the positive posts around here. With Palm's marketing campaign gone awry in my opinion, it's up to us using word of mouth to get the message out on what WebOS can do.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It's going to take more than marketing to get people to see this. Palm needs a screen, keyboard, and a few other hardware features to compete with Droid. Call it the post or whatever, but it is time for Palm to drop the missing high-end part of the WebOS lineup.
    i disagree, i think we can do whatever you mentioned (some are good point), AFTER we make a decent campaign.

now for your point. I agree "other hardware features", namely, SD slot, front camera, projector.

I strongly disagree with screen, I dont want a stupid large phone at all.

Glass screen? maybe, maybe not, i like the shape of the Pre, if you know how to make a decent curved glass, let palm know.

I semi agree with keyboard, I do NOT want a horizontal keyboard!, I definitely need one hand operation, I will NOT buy a pre 2 with horizontal keyboard.

I would support a virtual keyboard, and a re-tweaked key pad like the one on pixi.
    Does the Pre do voice google searches?
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Man, a fellow colleague of mine just got a Droid instead of a Palm Pre. Even after I gave him a demo, showed him how easily he could install an SSH client (a specific requirement of his). Unfortunetly, I couldn't get the cursor keys to work correctly within the terminal app. The key combos described on the WebOS internals page just didn't work.

When I asked him why he chose the Droid he replied, "The SSH client on the Droid worked, and the phone just seemed cool".

Arghhhh. I feel like I failed on the SSH client front, and Palm failed on the marketing front.
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    no,

Precentral does say that voice operation is in the works.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    That's not really a feature I would call out as a fair comparison since it is partially up to Google to support this on the Pre. There is a conflict of interest going on here in my opinion, regardless of the additional advertising revenue Google can get by implementing this on the Pre.

Google is sure to give the google-specific features like the one you mentioned to the Android platform first before they support the competitor platforms.

Case in point: Google Lattitude, Google Buzz, Google Maps (not as feature complete as other platforms)

To be fair, Palm has to open up the Microphone API for Google to implement google voice search.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    Sorry to get ya' all wound up...but it seems the negative posts get more attention than the positive posts around here. With Palm's marketing campaign gone awry in my opinion, it's up to us using word of mouth to get the message out on what WebOS can do.
    +1
    We can only hope that the volume of sale that palm has at this time, allows money to be moved over to the marketing dept.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    I just listened to an Engadget Podcast. They said the multi-touch pinch-to-zoom feature just added to the Droid (or was it another Android based phone -- I forget) has been implemented better on the Pre.

When you pinch to zoom on the Droid it does so in stepped increments. On the Pre you can zoom in/out smoothly. That gives you more fine-grained control.
    Last edited by rlopin; 02/10/2010 at 10:03 AM. Reason: bolded a phrase
    That's not really a feature I would call out as a fair comparison since it is partially up to Google to support this on the Pre. There is a conflict of interest going on here in my opinion, regardless of the additional advertising revenue Google can get by implementing this on the Pre.

Google is sure to give the google-specific features like the one you mentioned to the Android platform first before they support the competitor platforms.

Case in point: Google Lattitude, Google Buzz, Google Maps (not as feature complete as other platforms)

To be fair, Palm has to open up the Microphone API for Google to implement google voice search.
    I didn't necessarily mean google and google only. Couldn't Pre have partnered with another search engine or developed a search engine that voice search would have worked with? I think the voice search is a great idea as there are times I need to search for something when I'm driving and entering in a keyboard is just not safe.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Man, a fellow colleague of mine just got a Droid instead of a Palm Pre. Even after I gave him a demo, showed him how easily he could install an SSH client (a specific requirement of his). Unfortunetly, I couldn't get the cursor keys to work correctly within the terminal app. The key combos described on the WebOS internals page just didn't work.

When I asked him why he chose the Droid he replied, "The SSH client on the Droid worked, and the phone just seemed cool".

Arghhhh. I feel like I failed on the SSH client front, and Palm failed on the marketing front.
    This same colleague of mine also told me the keyboard on the Droid was hard to use; that the keys were spread too wide apart. There is no way he can type with one hand (comes in really useful on public transportation where one hand has to be holding onto the pole).
    Here is the new campaign:

Android doesnt have the webOS!

Lets print it on t-shirts and plaster it on our vehicles. We'll market it on our own!
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    I didn't necessarily mean google and google only. Couldn't Pre have partnered with another search engine or developed a search engine that voice search would have worked with? I think the voice search is a great idea as there are times I need to search for something when I'm driving and entering in a keyboard is just not safe.
    Sure, Palm could have done that. With only 1000 employees they have to pick and choose which features they implement and their priority in the overall feature set carefully. Google is the top search engine too, so not sure how well received an alternate (like Bing) search engine would be.

I would argue that as great as this feature might be for you, it probably isn't a common enough use case to prioritize over, say, adding video recording for example.

Now voice dialing to support hands-free calling in a car is a much more popular use case, especially given how it is illegal in many states to even touch your phone while driving. (not sure how stand-alone touch-screen GPS devices get excluded). Once that is implemented the use case you described is more likely to get added.
    Last edited by rlopin; 02/10/2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: changed 'GPS apps' to 'GPS devices'
    Lol, OP: I was just about ready to take you down
    Last edited by SqyArc; 02/10/2010 at 10:18 AM.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Here is the new campaign:

Android doesnt have the webOS!

Lets print it on t-shirts and plaster it on our vehicles. We'll market it on our own!
    I like it -- especially since "WebOS" in Spanish sounds like "Huevos" which is slang for 'balls'.
    Cross-language puns are great!!
    Last edited by rlopin; 02/12/2010 at 08:35 AM. Reason: fixed my gringo spelling mistake. It's 'huevos', not 'juevos'.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast