Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by JMRJosh View Post
    Now Palm is trying again. Palm is a small company with great ideas what they need is some support from a big company to focus on their products. The way I would do a marketing approach is close to the samsung instinct campaign. As bad as that phone was and is they got me to buy it. You do not need the best product to win just better thought out adds.

If I was palm(Jon Rubinstein) I would look at the most download or just the Essentials apps from android and iPhone, and get your best developers to work on Twitter, Facebook, ESPN, Browser, Calendar, and better mail. If your the best at just one look where E-mail got Blackberry.
    The problem is that WebOS actually IS the best at one thing - visual multitasking - but they tell no one about this. They've had several sets of ads - both by Palm and their varied carrier partners - that have flubbed getting this across in detail time and time again. Bell Canada were the only ones I think came close, and they did so by outright cloning the iPhone marketing.

I think Android has marketed multitasking moreso than Palm, and it's not because they have more money to spend. Verizon's ads mentioned it more than once.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    The problem is that WebOS actually IS the best at one thing - visual multitasking - but they tell no one about this.
    ...And no one has found a compelling story to convince the masses (potential customers) that this matters. The masses are probably more convinced the iPhone multi-tasks because of the "talk-and-surf" series of ads Apple has put up in response to the Verizon "there's a map for that" commercial series.
    Well, the "creepy lady" ads did show some of the mutitasking features of the Pre, believe or not, that's what sold me on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    Lol yeah - can you imagine? Palm says "Well we only need one hand to type!" and then Droid responds with "...Well we don't actually need hands at all..."
    Understanding voice commands is one thing, but can you type up an email with your voice on the Droid?

Until voice recognition technology advances, my physical keyboard will trump any other device for transcription, and in that department, the Pre is much better.

[Edit: @etnpnys However, that would definitely be one powerful marketing message]
    Last edited by rlopin; 02/12/2010 at 04:45 PM.
    forget an ad campaign, we need better word of mouth. I have got 6 people that I know to buy a palm pre. No one buy anything from an ad they seen on TV. but if they did want to campaign they need to show why they are better then all the rest
    oh make that 10 people I got, 4 people on twitter
    I always tell ppl thal the palm pre is the best phone I've always have (which is true), then I show them all the nice features and finally I say with this phone you can do anything, imagine that my pc broke and I haven't fixed it cuz I have my pre.
    Sometimes ppl say if I'm getting paid by palm lol
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fortes89 View Post
    ...Sometimes ppl say if I'm getting paid by palm lol
    Oh man, you hit the nail on the head.

If I had just $1 for every time someone said that same thing to me...

...oh wait -- my brain is going into a tailspin with some sort of circular reference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    ...And no one has found a compelling story to convince the masses (potential customers) that this matters. The masses are probably more convinced the iPhone multi-tasks because of the "talk-and-surf" series of ads Apple has put up in response to the Verizon "there's a map for that" commercial series.
    This is a good observation. For many people they don't even understand how MT might help them. The iPhone makes it simple and they have an operating system and computer system that works with the phone.

With regard to Android, everyone knows about Google and they probably don't need much more except to see that it has a few neat tricks. It also promises to be the best phone to work with all your Google stuff you use while on your PC.

Blackberry is the king of email. Hardware keyboard, has it's niche, incredibly stupid to go for the Storm instead of the Dakota which is taking them years to produce.

Palm has a challenge. They are just the fourth or fifth manufacturer who disappeared from the picture for years. They were known for awesome hardware and an OS that was quick and extensible. Now they want to do iTunes, do the Google thing, etc. They haven't really defined what they do well that will tempt a purchaser away from the above. But they committed one egregious crime - as much as the improvement in the Pre Plus, the hardware is mediocre and unimpressive. No matter how good the OS, if the hardware sucks, people won't buy it. We saw that with Android 1 - the hardware was terrible. Android 2 isn't blowing me away yet but the hardware is much better and they appeal immediately. The iPhone's glass looks much better than the Pre and refined versus a little awkward and small of the Pre.

Web OS could be great. Palm MUST find a way to sync the phone to the desktop (stupidest thing these manufacturers are doing is requiring wifi). You can see the comments at Verizon and elsewhere. But that is all moot. If the hardware doesn't impress then Palm loses. The Pixi is actually pretty cool and much more impressive. Make that bigger and comfortable and Palm has an impressive looking and useful product that flies off the shelves just like the Treo did. If they want a pre form factor then it has to be more refined. People will spend a little more to get hardware they love rather than buying something for a little less that they feel is somewhat lower tier, of questionable durability, and is easily trumped by the look and build of the new Android phones and the iPhone.

Palm has to find the story to tell consumers to make the differentiation quickly and immediately and without using the word "mutlitasking" as a self explanation.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsedated View Post
    Palm has to find the story to tell consumers to make the differentiation quickly and immediately and without using the word "mutlitasking" as a self explanation.
    Nice post. A lot of intelligent observations.

I quoted this last part of your post because one of the earlier posters suggested a tagline that spoke about multi-tasking without actually saying it.

It went something like this: "You do more than one thing at a time, shouldn't your phone?"
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    im curious why palm, sprint, VZ altogether, seems unable to come up with a decent ads campaign.

Its very strange, I dislike apple's products, but they sure know how to make ads.
    All they have to do is copy the merit-based ads that users have been producing for the contest over at Palmspot.com

If they quit hiring consultants and listened to the people posting on the laptopmag.com matchup, they would learn how to communicate the merits of the Pre, and how it makes everyday tasks better.

There was a wealth of pithy value propositions and practical use cases for the Pre. We need to all email the CEO of Palm...
    +1

Multitasking is the feature. More than one phone OS can do it. THe iPhone will eventually do it. The key is HOW they do it, and why that matters to the user. People buy benefits, not features.

Check out this fan-made commercial. It tells the m-word better than anything that has come from the oxygen-free boardrooms at Palm...

palmSpot Entry: “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More” by Adam Marks | webOSroundup

Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    Nice post. A lot of intelligent observations.

I quoted this last part of your post because one of the earlier posters suggested a tagline that spoke about multi-tasking without actually saying it.

It went something like this: "You do more than one thing at a time, shouldn't your phone?"
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 04/06/2010 at 07:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kanzlr View Post
    on the iPhone, most games save your status and quit, but not all (Civ for example doesn't).

on Android, it is like with webOS, as long as there is enough memory, the game pauses and stays in the background. If the system runs out of memory, the game in the background (or any app for that matter) gets a notification by the OS, that it has to quit. As a developer, you now have a chance to safe the current status/data, and basically every app does this. At least mine do
    That's a sign that Adroid is a first attempt at an OS from a company that hasn't ever build an OS. Can you imagine if your PC did that? Sorry Excel, too much RAM occupied by Word and PowerPoint so I'll just let you close by leaking out of memory as newer stuff is loaded.

The reverse is equally true (and bad) about Android. Telling it to close an app doesn't necessarily close the app if there is enough memory to leave it alone. That's why their home brew community builds "sweeper apps" to make sure stuff is closed properly.

I'm sure Google will continue to improve, but it seems like Adroid is the architectural equivalent of DOS with Windows 3.0 and Microsoft Bob running on top (each phone has it's own GUI).

According to recent reports, they have almost as many app developers as the iPhone now, so Google will have to grow up. Palm has been making blazing-fast operating systems for low-power handhelds since Al Gore invented the internet. That experience shows in the architecture and in the stability of the results...

And that makes Android's success seem more because of the Google name, just as the iPhone was a hit mostly because of the Apple name. That sort o market trust gives them time an momentum to fill the gaps. Palm has done so much better with so much less to work with. I wish they would take the money they were spending on TV ads and pay iPhone developers to port their apps...
    Quote Originally Posted by brandoncjr View Post
    I feel the creepy lady ads were Okay in showing the features, but they need to tweak them a bit:

Remove the creepy lady, or make her talk a bit more instead of being all spooky. They show some of the cool features about the pre, but they don't SAY what they are so the viewer sees the phone without knowing what is being shown to them. Show the universal search, the card switching, the gesture area ease, and the syncing.

When I think of the Pre, 3 things stick to out among all other phones in my mind...

1) Multitasking
    2) Synergy
    3) Gesture Area!

That last one might be overlooked, but I feel implementing the gesture area (or meta-tap as it's called now) is a really cool feature that helps reduce clutter on the screen.
    Palm needs to avoid the creepy lady, or ANY lady for that matter. They purposely tried to target the female audience. That was a total fail, and insulting to both genders.

Here is what Palm need to do. They need to use this guy's script and re-shoot it with professional-grade editing. This is a winner...

palmSpot Entry: “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More” by Adam Marks | webOSroundup

Probably the most effective tag line Microsoft ever had was "everyday tasks made simple" That's what Palm need to show. iPhone shows how easy it is to snap a photo and post it, or identify a task and buy it on i-tunes. Nothing multi-about those tasks, but it resonates with users as something they do (or want to do) with their phone. Same with the original MotoDroid ads (not so much with the new one about searching for stars and planets... who does that?)

Doesn't it make sense for them to promote the phone based on the reasons that we bought it, rather than on what some clown from madison avenue says about gender targeting and image advertising?
    Palm needs to hire the ad agency that does HP's marketing. How is it they are able to nail in one 30 second video everything that the HP Slate has that makes it better than the iPad????

Oh yeah with NO audio!! (Well I guess I mean no spoken audio)
    Last edited by completethought; 04/10/2010 at 02:17 PM.
    Droid does, not ....
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by completethought View Post
    Palm needs to hire the ad agency that does HP's marketing. How is it they are able to nail in one 30 second video everything that the HP Slate has that makes it better than the iPad????

Oh yeah with NO audio!! (Well I guess I mean no spoken audio)
    I don't know how I missed that video. Thanks for sharing. It was pretty cool. I like the fact they showed an iPod (presumably) plugging into the HP Slate via USB. The iPod can't even connect to an iPad!
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Global Posts
    1,700 Global Posts
    I just traded my Droid for a Palm Pre Plus. I had on before and really started to miss it. I missed the compact size and the app cards. I found it really fun to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    im curious why palm, sprint, VZ altogether, seems unable to come up with a decent ads campaign.

Its very strange, I dislike apple's products, but they sure know how to make ads.
    Palm's latest advertisement was actually pretty good. Why can't people just accept the fact that the mass public doesn't want a WebOS device [at least right now]? I know a lot of people that are aware of the Pre and more importantly the elegance of WebOS, but guess what? It doesn't interest them the least bit.

We live in a world of iPhone and Android. Other devices are like the weak dogs of the pack fighting for scraps.

Edit: You now have a large market of people that have learned their respective OS, are set with it (iPhone / Android) and don't even consider another device. The only thing they consider is the upgrade to the model they have when their renewal comes around. It's a vicious cycle.
    Last edited by barkerja; 07/19/2010 at 04:40 AM.
    Everytime I see that commerical, it's like... Yes, yes... yeah... yes... why would you need that... ? yes... yeah... in half the time... yeah... yeh... yah... ok... Well at least mine doesn't resemble a literal brick too.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234