Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Sorry I don't want to turn this into an argument but BlackBerry was pumping A2DP Stereo Bluetooth long before anyone ever heard of WebOS - stereo bluetooth also works on the iPhone 3G (not just the 3GS) though I'm not sure about the original 1st Gen iPhone.
    No need to apologize. You are not being argumentative at all. I enjoy an intelligent debate and don't mind being corrected. You were right about the Blackberry and iPhone 3G and 3GS. The 1st gen iPhone does not support stereo bluetooth.

I Googled around and found a couple of articles/blogs that examine ease of pairing, quality of music, accessory control, etc. The articles supported my suspicion that the experience on the BB and iPhone are not as smooth as on the Pre.

Here are the URLs to the articles and a couple of excerpts...

Blackberry: BlackBerry Curve's enhanced Bluetooth: capable but a bit of a pain | The BlackBerry Beat | ZDNet.com
    "Pairing was pretty easy, once I figured out how to turn the Headset into Pairing mode. Then I just had to turn it on, and press play. However, the experience wasnít the best. Compared to regular iPod headphones, the HT820s gave of a very swishy sound, like you could hear the distance or interference between the headset and my Curve. Also, I was able to uncover a bug in the pairing: if you attempt to fast-forward a song while itís playing, your headset will become unpaired. This is easily fixed by pausing, then un-pausing the song, but is still kind of lame. For now, Iíd recommend sticking to cabled headsets."

iPhone: What to Expect: Stereo Bluetooth & iPhone 3G with iPhone OS 3.0 | iLounge Article
    Issues:
    • Small audio hiccups when apps launch, and infrequently mid-run
    • Small audio hiccups when toggling between multiple stereo Bluetooth devices
    • Greater potential for audio problems after the iPhone 3G turns off its screen
    • Limited accessory control of music playback

Conclusion
    For the iPhone issues, the first two are not a big deal, but the last two affect the whole experience and convenience. For the BB, I don't know if the BB issues were specific to the Curve or an issue with all Blackberries. I actually own a Curve but have never tried out its BT capabilities.

I would love to hear from from yourself or anyone else how their experience compares. Also, assuming this thread hasn't scared away the Android users, we'd love to hear from you as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    I like it -- especially since "WebOS" in Spanish sounds like "Juevos" which is slang for 'balls'. ('j' in Spanish is pronounced like an 'h' in English)

Cross-language puns are great!!
    don't wanna be mean here but it's not "juevos", it's "huevos".
    it's true tho that WebOs sounds like "Huevos" = Balls in Spanish.
    Ok, I've just joined the fold but I'm not a woman. Do I need to reconsider having a Pre because I am not enough of a man to have the huevos to own a Droid? And by extension does it mean that only real men own a droid?

Seriously, I looked at both the Pre and the other one and found that WebOs is so intuitive that it I always came back to that warm feeling of love, peace and understanding.

Oh Snap! I can feel the estrogen flowing, Verizon must be on to something!
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    im curious why palm, sprint, VZ altogether, seems unable to come up with a decent ads campaign.

Its very strange, I dislike apple's products, but they sure know how to make ads.
    True the ads stink, but then again 99% of al commercials end up insulting the customer in stead of making them want to run out and buy the product., This is why I have owned a TIVO, since the day they were first sold!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    This same colleague of mine also told me the keyboard on the Droid was hard to use; that the keys were spread too wide apart. There is no way he can type with one hand (comes in really useful on public transportation where one hand has to be holding onto the pole).
    I can second that.My bro made the mistake of going Android and it takes him 10 minutes to send a text due to the poor keyboard spacing.
    Quote Originally Posted by smoke93 View Post
    Ok, I've just joined the fold but I'm not a woman. Do I need to reconsider having a Pre because I am not enough of a man to have the huevos to own a Droid? And by extension does it mean that only real men own a droid?

Seriously, I looked at both the Pre and the other one and found that WebOs is so intuitive that it I always came back to that warm feeling of love, peace and understanding.

Oh Snap! I can feel the estrogen flowing, Verizon must be on to something!
    Welcome to the fold fellow Chicagoan (even tho I only work downtown).
    Only real men can see the Droid for what it is and get the Pre! BUT..ever since I got one I've had the strangest urge to watch Sex in the City reruns while texting all my friends about what's happening on the show. Hopefully this will pass. heh heh
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fortes89 View Post
    don't wanna be mean here but it's not "juevos", it's "huevos".
    it's true tho that WebOs sounds like "Huevos" = Balls in Spanish.
    You are totally right. LOL!

This gringo should have asked his Spanish speaking wife before posting. :-)
    ...comes in really useful on public transportation where one hand has to be holding onto the pole.
    That's what she said! (sorry, had to be done.)
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    That's what she said! (sorry, had to be done.)
    LOL! There are way too many jokes to be made with a names like Palm, Pixi, WebOS (Huevos), Pre_____, etc.
    I feel the creepy lady ads were Okay in showing the features, but they need to tweak them a bit:

Remove the creepy lady, or make her talk a bit more instead of being all spooky. They show some of the cool features about the pre, but they don't SAY what they are so the viewer sees the phone without knowing what is being shown to them. Show the universal search, the card switching, the gesture area ease, and the syncing.

When I think of the Pre, 3 things stick to out among all other phones in my mind...

1) Multitasking
    2) Synergy
    3) Gesture Area!

That last one might be overlooked, but I feel implementing the gesture area (or meta-tap as it's called now) is a really cool feature that helps reduce clutter on the screen.
    So true! On the iPhone a call interrupts and ENDS the game. I am not sure if it saves the state so when you relaunch the game you are back where you were. Can any iPhone users confirm this? Same question for you Android users.
    I had an iPhone for 17 months, and for the most part, no, games wouldn't be saved! Some would, like rolando.

Also, my first day with the pre, I'm fascinated with how when I can switch from a web page to say, a text, and back, the web page doesn't refresh! With the iPhone, if you are on the web and go to a text, when you open the browser again, it re-loads...its so nice not having to deal with that now!
    Marketing for the Pre was epic FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the OP just stated is leaps and bounds better than what was done for the Pre. Very sad. WebOS rules! Marketing for it, FAIL!
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    I think the Palm Pixi - Give Fun, Get Fun ad was effective. Keeps you thinking about what it was used for, although not exactly showing its multitasking feats. Mix in the Pre and WebOS feats. and they should have a winner. Preferable a new ad with FLASH just to rub it in .
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SDash View Post
    I think the Palm Pixi - Give Fun, Get Fun ad was effective. Keeps you thinking about what it was used for, although not exactly showing its multitasking feats. Mix in the Pre and WebOS feats. and they should have a winner. Preferable a new ad with FLASH just to rub it in .
    I agree, that was an effective ad campaign. I like the idea about using Flash in the ad combined with another poster's idea about using the tag line 'You do more than one thing at a time, shouldn't your phone?"

Let's see, so far for an ad campaign we have...

Potential Slogans
    • The Palm Pre doesn't do everything the Droid does, it does everything the Droid does, better.
    • You do more than one thing at a time, shouldn't your phone?
    • Android doesnt have the webOS!
    • ...and its Spanish language cross-language pun "Android no tiene los huevos (WebOS)" [Android doesn't have the balls]
    • Palm Pre, the only smartphone that let's you see 100% of the Web's content (well, almost 100%. That darn Netflix is using Silverlight.)

Potential Commericials
    • Show a Palm Pre user on a subway using the Palm with one hand while the other hand holds onto the pole (get your mind out of the gutter). Other users in the background swinging to and fro with their Droids and iPhones because they have to use two hands.
    • Show two people playing a 3D game side-by-side. One on the iPhone, one on the Palm Pre. Then an incoming call rings both phones. The iPhone user loses all his progress as he was about to complete the most difficult and last level whilst the incoming caller asks him, 'so did you beat the game yet?'. Same scenario, the Pre user says 'almost', hangs up, and then goes right back to where he was.
    • Show side by side web pages on Palm Pre and other devices that don't have Flash. "There's a block for that" on the iPhone and Android (referring to the empty block you get where Flash content should be"
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    Actually, the Pre doesn't have a compass, either. So almost all of the useful augmented reality stuff is out of the question on our phones. You guys can flog me all you want for thinking that AR is useful, but it's in the very early stages and I think that there will be a lot of innovative things coming out for it in the near future - not just "I'm looking across the street at a Starbucks - now watch me as my phone tells me that there's ... a ... Starbucks there..."

Don't get me wrong: I absolutely love my Pre. But the lack of a compass was actually a slight deterrent for me.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    Actually, the Pre doesn't have a compass, either. So almost all of the useful augmented reality stuff is out of the question on our phones. You guys can flog me all you want for thinking that AR is useful, but it's in the very early stages and I think that there will be a lot of innovative things coming out for it in the near future - not just "I'm looking across the street at a Starbucks - now watch me as my phone tells me that there's ... a ... Starbucks there..."

Don't get me wrong: I absolutely love my Pre. But the lack of a compass was actually a slight deterrent for me.
    I too think it would be really cool to have Augmented Reality apps. Perhaps they'll embed a compass in the Pre2.
    over here in the uk thers now a car advertisment "multitasking made easy" is the (tag line) as such,the 1st time i saw it i was like yeah heres a add for the pre BUT no,insted the pre advert is about "everything flowing together" (or somthing like that) ther was no mention of webOS or multitasking which in my opinion is the main thing the phone has going 4 it

y dont they emphisie (prob not spelt right lol) on the things that will draw people in and make them want a palm pre
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ratchetjaw View Post
    I am really liking the Pre and want it to do well. I also like most of the commercial ideas people hhave been posting. I don't understand the one about others having to use two hands to type though. That's just not the case. Especially with the Droid. With the Droid you can voice to text or swype which is awesome. So that would be a commercial nightmare to challenge one hand typing
    Lol yeah - can you imagine? Palm says "Well we only need one hand to type!" and then Droid responds with "...Well we don't actually need hands at all..."
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    So true! On the iPhone a call interrupts and ENDS the game. I am not sure if it saves the state so when you relaunch the game you are back where you were. Can any iPhone users confirm this? Same question for you Android users.
    on the iPhone, most games save your status and quit, but not all (Civ for example doesn't).

on Android, it is like with webOS, as long as there is enough memory, the game pauses and stays in the background. If the system runs out of memory, the game in the background (or any app for that matter) gets a notification by the OS, that it has to quit. As a developer, you now have a chance to safe the current status/data, and basically every app does this. At least mine do
    I think one of the reasons why WebOS is not taking off the way it should is because there is no specific buyer. What I mean by that is the iPhone is for anyone on AT&T that wants Apps and the brand is Apple. Apple was huge before the iphone and it has been around for years growing bigger and bigger. I can turn on any TV in the past 2 years and in ten minutes find an iPhone. Android is big because its google which marketed to geeks. Black berry is for Business. Now Palm was the first mobile product with PDA's like IBM and computers they couldn't sustain that area.

Now Palm is trying again. Palm is a small company with great ideas what they need is some support from a big company to focus on their products. The way I would do a marketing approach is close to the samsung instinct campaign. As bad as that phone was and is they got me to buy it. You do not need the best product to win just better thought out adds.

If I was palm(Jon Rubinstein) I would look at the most download or just the Essentials apps from android and iPhone, and get your best developers to work on Twitter, Facebook, ESPN, Browser, Calendar, and better mail. If your the best at just one look where E-mail got Blackberry.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast