Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Maybe its a blessing they didn't advertise it better. With the myriad of build issues it could have really been a PRPRPR $nightmare$ $for$ $Palm$ $if$ $millions$ $of$ $these$ $phones$ $sold$ $and$ $then$ $stories$ $came$ $out$ $of$ $phones$ $being$ $returned$ $for$ $being$ $faulty$, $etc$ ($admit$ $it$, $the$ $media$ $picks$ $up$ $on$ $that$ $crap$, $look$ $at$ $the$ $Xbox$ $360$, $how$ $many$ $RROD$ $stories$ $are$ $there$ $and$ $continue$ $to$ $be$?). $To$ $me$ $the$ $Pre$ $plays$ $out$ $as$ $Palm$ $beta$ $test$. $The$ $Pre$ $2$ $or$ $Web$ $OS$ $Treo$ ($or$ $whatever$ $they$ $will$ $call$ $the$ $next$ $one$) $with$ $Web$ $OS$ $2$ $will$ $be$ $the$ $real$ $phone$.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    This same colleague of mine also told me the keyboard on the Droid was hard to use; that the keys were spread too wide apart. There is no way he can type with one hand (comes in really useful on public transportation where one hand has to be holding onto the pole).
    True! It is very hard riding the subway and texting at the same time if you can't have one hand holding on! Thats why I love the vertical keyboard.

p.s. I just got my pre, and it's currently turning on for the first time - I'm so darned excited!
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vtboyarc View Post
    True! It is very hard riding the subway and texting at the same time if you can't have one hand holding on! Thats why I love the vertical keyboard.

p.s. I just got my pre, and it's currently turning on for the first time - I'm so darned excited!
    Welcome to WebOS!

A local commerical here in New York showing someone using the Pre on the subway with one hand while other phone users are in background, struggling to use their phone would be really funny.

You can almost see them swaying to and fro, back and forth, as the train stops, starts, and turns. Doing the quick 'grab-the-pole now' reflex. Oops. did I just drop my Droid?
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    I love when I get on the subway and see all the Apple/Blackberry users tethered with a wire to their devices -- all while I am using a wireless stereo-bluetooth headset.

When I reach up with one hand to tap my headset to raise/lower the volume people **** their heads like a dog that has just heard a strange sound.
    I love when I get on the subway and see all the Apple/Blackberry users tethered with a wire to their devices -- all while I am using a wireless stereo-bluetooth headset.

When I reach up with one hand to tap my headset to raise/lower the volume people **** their heads like a dog that has just heard a strange sound.
    Except that BlackBerry & Apple OS both support Bluetooth audio? (Apple recently, BlackBerry for ages).
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by madcow706 View Post
    Maybe its a blessing they didn't advertise it better. With the myriad of build issues it could have really been a PRPRPR $nightmare$ $for$ $Palm$ $if$ $millions$ $of$ $these$ $phones$ $sold$ $and$ $then$ $stories$ $came$ $out$ $of$ $phones$ $being$ $returned$ $for$ $being$ $faulty$, $etc$ ($admit$ $it$, $the$ $media$ $picks$ $up$ $on$ $that$ $crap$, $look$ $at$ $the$ $Xbox$ $360$, $how$ $many$ $RROD$ $stories$ $are$ $there$ $and$ $continue$ $to$ $be$?). $To$ $me$ $the$ $Pre$ $plays$ $out$ $as$ $Palm$ $beta$ $test$. $The$ $Pre$ $2$ $or$ $Web$ $OS$ $Treo$ ($or$ $whatever$ $they$ $will$ $call$ $the$ $next$ $one$) $with$ $Web$ $OS$ $2$ $will$ $be$ $the$ $real$ $phone$.
    Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines. It's a bit of a double edged sword.

I feel like Sprint was the beta-tester for 6+ months, and after giving it a few weeks on Verizon to flush out any carrier-specific issues (like the GPS issue being reported) it was time to launch a major ad push.

Well, they did do a push -- just not with the kind of commercials we here on Precentral were all hoping for.
    Last edited by rlopin; 02/10/2010 at 10:44 AM.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Except that BlackBerry & Apple OS both support Bluetooth audio? (Apple recently, BlackBerry for ages).
    Only the iPhone 3GS supports stereo bluetooth (A2DP protocol). Most of the folks I see on the subway still have the older iPhones and iPod variations. As for BB, I have never seen anyone wirelessly tethered to their Blackberry. Does BB support Stereo bluetooth?

Perhaps it is not easy and/or well known that it is possible for these users. On the Pre pairing is dead-simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    UGGG! I wound up and was ready to throw the punch and then I saw the post! It's 10:30am and now I need a beer. It's 5:00 somewhere.
    Well, technically, it's not. It would be 4:30 or 5:30 since time zones are in one-hour increments.

</nerd off>

Sry, i couldn't resist!
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sveilien View Post
    Well, technically, it's not. It would be 4:30 or 5:30 since time zones are in one-hour increments.

</nerd off>

Sry, i couldn't resist!
    Not true! India is 9.5 or 10.5 hours ahead of New York, depending on whether daylight savings is in effect or not. :-)
    </double nerd off>
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    On my commute home yesterday I was playing "Game X" (don't wanna get in any trouble) on my Visual Boy while listening to music when I got a call. I answered it and was about to go back to my game (which had automatically paused) when I realized what I had just done. After a quick Facebook status update to rub it in the noses of my iClone-toting friends I was back to VBVBVB $and$ $listening$ $to$ $my$ $music$.

I love this fracking phone!

@sveilien - given the arbitrary nature of man's division of time, I think it's fair to say it's always 5:00 somewhere.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendilon View Post
    On my commute home yesterday I was playing "Game X" (don't wanna get in any trouble) on my Visual Boy while listening to music when I got a call. I answered it and was about to go back to my game (which had automatically paused) when I realized what I had just done. After a quick Facebook status update to rub it in the noses of my iClone-toting friends I was back to VBVBVB $and$ $listening$ $to$ $my$ $music$.

I love this fracking phone!.
    So true! On the iPhone a call interrupts and ENDS the game. I am not sure if it saves the state so when you relaunch the game you are back where you were. Can any iPhone users confirm this? Same question for you Android users.

Quote Originally Posted by brendilon View Post
    @sveilien - given the arbitrary nature of man's division of time, I think it's fair to say it's always 5:00 somewhere.
    Well said! This emotional argument was so much better than my technical argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    i disagree, i think we can do whatever you mentioned (some are good point), AFTER we make a decent campaign.

now for your point. I agree "other hardware features", namely, SD slot, front camera, projector.

I strongly disagree with screen, I dont want a stupid large phone at all.

Glass screen? maybe, maybe not, i like the shape of the Pre, if you know how to make a decent curved glass, let palm know.

I semi agree with keyboard, I do NOT want a horizontal keyboard!, I definitely need one hand operation, I will NOT buy a pre 2 with horizontal keyboard.

I would support a virtual keyboard, and a re-tweaked key pad like the one on pixi.

+1 i love the idea of using 1hand to text. A h-keyboard i need two hands not cool
    Not true! India is 9.5 or 10.5 hours ahead of New York, depending on whether daylight savings is in effect or not. :-)
    </double nerd off>
    Oh snap, i got served!!
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
    All Palm needs to do is implement the most common and used patches and advertise that along with all the new stuff. Cause then we will officially be better than any cellphone out there. The average joe is more concerned about on screen keyboards, landscape view, and alot of other minial things. If they could just try that cause, Palm has attracted most people that aren't afraid to read and research. But the rest of these zombies out here just need something that they are used to from their previous phone. Palm has it but, it's not well known.
    Only the iPhone 3GS supports stereo bluetooth (A2DP protocol). Most of the folks I see on the subway still have the older iPhones and iPod variations. As for BB, I have never seen anyone wirelessly tethered to their Blackberry. Does BB support Stereo bluetooth?

Perhaps it is not easy and/or well known that it is possible for these users. On the Pre pairing is dead-simple.
    Sorry I don't want to turn this into an argument but BlackBerry was pumping A2DP Stereo Bluetooth long before anyone ever heard of WebOS - stereo bluetooth also works on the iPhone 3G (not just the 3GS) though I'm not sure about the original 1st Gen iPhone.
    Palm can feel free to hire me as a consultant, but here's my recommendation for a tag line:

"Your life is all about multitasking...your phone should do the same."
    or
    "You multitask...you should have a phone that keeps up with you."
    or even
    "How 'smart' can your phone be if it can only do one thing at a time?"

And for a TV spot, how about a funny ad with a guy doing various things at home, at work, and out with friends, but he can only do one thing at a time.

Simple, huh?
    Last edited by semprini; 02/10/2010 at 04:12 PM.
    Welcome to WebOS!

A local commerical here in New York showing someone using the Pre on the subway with one hand while other phone users are in background, struggling to use their phone would be really funny.

You can almost see them swaying to and fro, back and forth, as the train stops, starts, and turns. Doing the quick 'grab-the-pole now' reflex. Oops. did I just drop my Droid?
    +1 I love the commercial concept of everyone standing, swaying, jumbling around in a subway car with one person able to continue on with everything using his Pre, while others fall all over and drop their phones every time the train car bounces.

Without getting too graphical... there I was sitting on my 'throne' passing the time with my Pre the other day... and suddenly I realized something. I sooo take for granted the ease of use WebOS offers. Using cards is so dang intuitive, you don't even realize how simple this interface is. I was flipping through apps, checking mail, text messaging... all in a short span of time and without really even thinking about it. It's just to effortless. I've played with the Droid and the experience is NOTHING like WebOS. To me it's like using Windows 3.0 instead of Windows 7. You can get stuff done, but its just not as smooth or intuitive.
    Does anyone else listen to TWIG(this week in google)? It is supposed to be about cloud computing but it always seems to wind up being about android or iphone. I try to bring up webos and pre in chat or comments and rapidly get dismissed. Android is popular for apps and openness while apple has the apps. Look at their 'revolutionary' new device (name left out on purpose). Going to sell like crazy because of apps. Put the same hardware with webos with some apps for reading, flash, recognized ports (usb), etc and it would rock. I have thought about downgrading because of apps available but I love the phone and will I've it another year to develop.
    I agree that "WebOS" should be a focus of future marketing efforts
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    Palm can feel free to hire me as a consultant, but here's my recommendation for a tag line:

"Your life is all about multitasking...your phone should do the same."
    or
    "You multitask...you should have a phone that keeps up with you."
    or even
    "How 'smart' can your phone be if it can only do one thing at a time?"

And for a TV spot, how about a funny ad with a guy doing various things at home, at work, and out with friends, but he can only do one thing at a time.

Simple, huh?
    Me likes. Me likes a lot. The first and third one are my favorites.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast