Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I have said it before but...google = skynet

Someday it might be self aware!
    whoa, somebody is paranoid! Does this go back to childhood traumas? Did you think the wizard of oz could become reality?
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post
    whoa, somebody is paranoid! Does this go back to childhood traumas? Did you think the wizard of oz could become reality?
    I've seen water kill before.....
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    well,

looking back, there are several things google did that really bothered me:

1. sneaking in the permanent process into my system when I tried to install google chrome, I eventually removed chrome and never use it again.

2. the action of putting forward a patent restricted video format (H.264) in its test tube and calling it HTML5, I think its greatly misleading the general public and helping pushing the web backward into patent restricted ages.

3. spreading too wide, controlling too many aspects of a user's life, mail, search is all i would take from google, I can't put myself into a google world, with their OS, their phone, their mail, their browser, its apple all over again.

4. the mismatch between "reputation" and "quality" of many google products, the tech media has been positive on whatever google does, its really getting sick, it has good products, but it also has a lot of crappy stuff too, desktop search is extremely slow, chrome OS is incompetent, google mobile sites getting worse with each new version, ridiculous attitude expressed by its CEO regarding user privacy. etc

I might just dont like companies who constantly yelling "im cool" in your face.

just to add, before I switched to a mac in 2006, I was tired of MS and thought it was biggest control freak in the world, but once I stepped into apple's world, it really shocked me, I guess MS is much more moderate than apple or google in what they do, compare to what they claim.
    I'm glad I asked. I agree with much of your sentiment. I constantly fear having my webmail stuck on Gmail with all my personal info available to Google, the New Borg. I have recently been seriously considering making the switch to another email server. Anybody have any recommendations for email that works well on Pre and is not Gmail?
    Well you're in luck there because ALL email accounts work well with the Pre. IMAP IDLE enables push support for almost every IMAP account, unlike on Android where everything except for Gmail is a second-class citizen.

if you're looking for a killer email provider check out Fastmail.fm
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I tend to have issues with the smugness of Apple users. I would have fewer problems with apple if it acted less like a cult. Google hasn't hit that sort of vibe yet, so I am ok with them.
    That's a sterotype

and the 2nd is a socially constructed, by definition a almost any religion could be a cult, any brand could be a cult as well.
    if stereotypes weren't based on facts then they wouldnt be stereotypes.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post
    If you think that's bad I have a twenty year old brother with an unhealthy fear of a dolphin takeover... Yeah. Dolphins.

Back to the point of the thread. It's not the lack multi-touch that I dislike about the Nexus 1, it's the Operating system. I'm not a fan of android. Clunky and unrefined.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    if stereotypes weren't based on facts then they wouldnt be stereotypes.
    Not facts, partial truths...which makes them not true.
    I have both the Nexus One and Pre Plus, and I've got to say I love both of 'em. NX1 for it's hardware, and Pre+ for it's physical keyboard and of course, webOS
    Quote Originally Posted by intlbeans View Post
    Anybody have any recommendations for email that works well on Pre and is not Gmail?
    Yahoo Mail has been completely redone for Mobile web. It's so good that I un-synced my phone from my account to save on battery life and use their online mail application exclusively at this point.
    if the N1 is on sprint come the first week of June, I'll strongly consider it.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I'm glad I asked. I agree with much of your sentiment. I constantly fear having my webmail stuck on Gmail with all my personal info available to Google, the New Borg. I have recently been seriously considering making the switch to another email server. Anybody have any recommendations for email that works well on Pre and is not Gmail?
    I use Yahoo Mail Plus:
    • $20 yearly
    • No graphical ads
    • Offline access with POP
    • 200 Filters
    • No account expiration
    • Live customer care
    • Mail forwarding
    • AddressGuard / Disposable addressees

My Pre Synchronizes all of my folders and the spam filter works very well. Also, Yahoo and Palm's Synergy plays nice, so you can use Yahoo Calendar and Address Book (and let's not forget Yahoo IM).

As mentioned previously, Yahoo has made a big improvement of their mobile site, but I still would want to be notified of incoming mail.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
  13. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    The only problem with signing up to Yahoo now is that you'll be joe.bloggs1345646513651467897654654313216545646543132 becuase that many people have Yahoo accounts
    Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post
    The only problem with signing up to Yahoo now is that you'll be joe.bloggs1345646513651467897654654313216545646543132 becuase that many people have Yahoo accounts
    Actually you'd have to be joe.bloggs134564651365146789765465431321654564654313 because I'm joe.bloggs13456465136514678976546543...co-winky-dink.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post
    LOL

I've been using Yahoo since 1998. I would imagine that they've gotten quite a few new subscribers since then.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    I actually ordered a Nexus One recently, should arrive tomorrow, so I am happy with this update. But I would have gotten multitouch anyways cause I'm in the EU. So, why did I order a Nexus One, you might ask?

Well, simple, the Pre is lovely and WebOS is awesome. However for me, it is too much trouble getting everything to work without 'hacking' - it works, but every update breaks it again. Besides that it's just the feel, I don't have an oreo effect but it feels cheap and I am always afraid I'm going to break it. And then I also have 1 issue that might sound strange for a phone, but it's just too darn easy to call someone. I've had multiple occasions I was working on the phone and somehow dialed someone in my contacts.

I will however, probably, not get rid of my Palm Pre - instead I will use a two simcard solution, seeing how my network supports that, at no extra cost. So I'll just swap between the Nexus and Pre. I'll just be using it as the "fun" and "backup" phone until it get's a little more reliable.

Don't get me wrong, I've been a long long time Palm geek, even before I was an Apple geek, and I am not abandoning Palm. Because Palm, ftw! Too bad the Nexus doesn't support the TouchStone tho

-edit;
    Oh regarding the fear of Google; Yahoo does exactly the same stuff. If you are afraid of things like that, build your own server and get that colocated. Or just don't use the internet.
    Last edited by xioq; 02/03/2010 at 03:44 AM.
    My Palm History (in order): IIIe SE, m130, Tungsten|T, m505, Tungsten|T3, Zire 71, m505 (owned two different ones), Zire 72, Tungsten|C, T|X, Treo 650.
    After that I got a Apple iPhone 3G, Palm Pre (GSM), Google Nexus One.
    Anybody have any recommendations for email that works well on Pre and is not Gmail?
    i though pre support yahoo for free?

AOL email also supports IMAP,and Pre should be able to handle any normal IMAP service.
    Quote Originally Posted by xioq View Post
    I actually ordered a Nexus One recently, should arrive tomorrow, so I am happy with this update.
    -edit;
    Oh regarding the fear of Google; Yahoo does exactly the same stuff. If you are afraid of things like that, build your own server and get that colocated. Or just don't use the internet.
    please do let us know what do you think once you play with it for couple of days.

about yahoo and google, no, yahoo is not in the position of google, the whole discussion could be summarized as "diverse your service". rather than "avoid any of service provided by xxx".

I have set up forwarding of my important emails to yahoo for a copy for several months. Just for safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    Rashad1 its kinda funny. everytime someone has a bad thing to say about apple or an apple fan boi you chime in. defensive much?
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    lol, why don't you read anything you said first with this attitude before posting?
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    i though pre support yahoo for free?
    Yes, Yahoo Mail is free and works fine with the Pre. Yahoo Mail Plus, in my opinion, is worth the $20 for the spam control and the lack of advertising. The Pre wouldn't access your Yahoo Mail via POP3 anyways, even if you're paying for Plus service (IMAP is better).
    Funny enough, you can't access your Yahoo Mail through a desktop application unless you've upgraded to Plus, but you do get IMAP access for free through Pre, iPhone, Blackberry, etc.
    Last edited by RafRol; 02/03/2010 at 03:20 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast