1.    #1  
    I have a VDX and I am seriously considering selling it and switching to a Clie PEG-N710c. Particularly because HS just reported ANOTHER loss. I have a feeling that HS is going to go out-of-business, and if that happens, my VDX will be worth crap.

I'm assuming that with the cool looking NR series starting at $499, then the n710c would drop considerably in price, but Sony doesn't even list the product on its site anymore!

Wasn't it only sa few months ago that all of the PDA mags and sites were raving about the N710c's MP3 player, headphones, great screen quality etc. What happened? I'm figuring that if Sony discontinued the N710c then there must be some clearanced or special refurb deals somewhere. Any ideas where to find one 'cheap' besides Ebay and Ubid?
    The N710C was discontinued and replaced with the N760C some time ago. The N760C is identical except it has PalmOS 4.x. I'm not sure of the status of the N760C but I heard rumors that it too was discontinued.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    Another option is the Clie NR70
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Originally posted by RedSoxPDAer
    I have a feeling that HS is going to go out-of-business, and if that happens, my VDX will be worth crap.
    Relatively speaking, your VDX will never be worth any more or any less than it is right now. Its not as though your VDX will cease to function if Handspring sinks. Functionally, it will be no more or less "crap" than the day it arrived.
    Kinda like a collectors edition.
    Your Visor will continue to be useful long after the company dies. There will probably remain a hard-core group of fans that will maintain a stock of parts, keep writing software, and keep making some types of modules.

There is still a ton of good software being written for the older OS's (Palm and PC), and people that can help with questions.

There are still people out there using Commodore 64 computers and Apple IIs for crying out loud.

There is no reason for thinking that the whole thing will die just because the company does (IF it does!)
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are at!
    The N710C was discontinued and replaced with the N760C some time ago. The N760C is identical except it has PalmOS 4.x. I'm not sure of the status of the N760C but I heard rumors that it too was discontinued.
    Exactly. And the NR70/NR70V replaced the N760C. Makes sense considering N760C was Sony's multimedia device, it probably wouldn't sell very after the NR70 comes out.

I think sony will be staying at around 4 models for quite some time.
    S360: Low priced, entry-level PDA
    T415's successor: Super slim monochrome workhorse PDA
    T615: Super slim color workhorse PDA
    NR70: Drool-worthy, multimedia, everything including the kitchen sink PDA
    You know it's bad when your Calculus Professor uses the word "Unpossible"

"It's a long way from my thoughts to what I'll say, It's a long, long way from paradise to where I am today." -Switchfoot, Home
  8.    #8  
    At first I was amazed at the NR70, but then I saw how much bigger it is than the N760C. I like the big screen on the NR70, but I'll stick with the more compact N760C.

I'm still trying to ger reliable info about whether the N760C is upgradable to OS 5 because it does have Flash memory.
    I'm still trying to ger reliable info about whether the N760C is upgradable to OS 5 because it does have Flash memory.
    None of the current PalmOS machines will be able to run OS5. OS5 is built around a different CPU architecture.
    "Take me where my future's lyin', St. Elmo's Fire." - John Parr
    I have a N710C that was upgraded to a N760C via the Sony upgrade. I'm happy with it, although I must admit that since getting my Treo I mostly use the Clie for multimedia, reading e-books, games and the like.

Shop around online. If you really want to get a 710 or 760 there's plenty of them to be had - just not on Sony's website.
  11.    #11  
    I landed a Sony Refurbished Clie N760C at Ubid for the about the price of a new Prism. So guess what? I get it via UPS in only 4 biz days after the auction closed, and that's via UPS Ground!

I notice immediately that the Clie doesn't power on, but it is in near-new condition. I figure it needs to be charge before first use. I put it in the charging cradle for 4 hours. Take it out. Nothing. No power. It turns on in the charging cradle, but the battery is shot.

I called Sony. they registered me, I faxed them a receipt of purchase and they are sending my a box to ship it to them for repair. It will take 4-7 biz days for return once they receive it. Not bad, but as tech fans here, I'm sure you must understand the frustration I feel in not getting to use my new-to-me PDA. I can only turn it on while plugged into the wall! Its like the worse type of torture!