1.    #1  
    SOME GOOD NEWS FOR THOSE OF US WHO DO NOT WORSHIP AT THE FEET OF STEVE JOBS:

February 1, 2010, 2:18 PM ET
    IPhone Loses Market Share in Fourth Quarter
    In the last quarter, Apple Inc.’s iPhone did something it’s rarely done before: lose market share.

Worldwide, the iconic device accounted for 16.6% of smartphone sales in the fourth quarter, dropping from 18.1% in the third, according to data compiled by ABI Research.

Apple’s sales still grew, just not as quickly as everybody else’s. Apple sold 8.7 million iPhones in the fourth quarter, which is 18% more than in the quarter before. But the overall smartphone market grew 26% in the same period of time, as Motorola Inc. introduced its first devices on Google Inc.’s Android platform and Nokia Oyj boosted its sales by 4.6 million alone.

The last time the iPhone took a dip in market share was in the fourth quarter of 2008, according to ABI Research. Michael Morgan, an analyst at the firm, says Apple could be running into a case of “Razr burn.” In 2004, Motorola launched the Razr phone, which shot to the top of the charts. But after a little over two years of selling the same device with the same look, it dropped in popularity.

That of course is a little rich. The California device maker still enjoys profit margins among the industry’s highest. And the attention it commands is unrivaled (see the frenzy around the iPad unveiling last week). An Apple spokeswoman declined to comment.

The iPhone is still the measuring stick for new phones and has influenced the industry quite disproportionate to its share, however that may fluctuate. But for Apple, says Mr. Morgan, “To lose market share in a record quarter, that’s got to sting a little bit.”
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Even though this article doesn't mention Palm (and it probably would if Palm had posted meaningful numbers), this is positive from two perspectives:

1. The smartphone market continues to grow. Even if Palm maintains share, they'll increase volume and revenues.

2. The more that the iPhone's dominance (mind share, market share, or both) is diluted, the more people will start noticing alternatives. Android might blaze the path here, but given its own weaknesses it actually might be making some room for Palm. Verizon's new ads are great in this respect--they show how _practical_ the Pre is for the "average" person, vs. the geekiness of the Droid.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    ATT is saturated
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Even though this article doesn't mention Palm (and it probably would if Palm had posted meaningful numbers), this is positive from two perspectives:

1. The smartphone market continues to grow. Even if Palm maintains share, they'll increase volume and revenues.

2. The more that the iPhone's dominance (mind share, market share, or both) is diluted, the more people will start noticing alternatives. Android might blaze the path here, but given its own weaknesses it actually might be making some room for Palm. Verizon's new ads are great in this respect--they show how _practical_ the Pre is for the "average" person, vs. the geekiness of the Droid.
    Well said and high time someone said it, take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Even though this article doesn't mention Palm (and it probably would if Palm had posted meaningful numbers), this is positive from two perspectives
    Dammit... I appreciate the positive spin but it isn't good news. It means that Android is growing like crazy and that Palm didn't post meaningful enough results to even warrant mentioning it at all and let people know that the phone exists. Dammit. Where's the endless ad campaigns???? This also means that Palm has to compete with at least two dominant players in the market and not the iPhone and everything else. Now behind the two clear leaders Palm has to convince people they are better than Blackberry which everyone knows and whatever Microsoft has coming out in the future. We need press!
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsedated View Post
    Dammit... I appreciate the positive spin but it isn't good news. It means that Android is growing like crazy and that Palm didn't post meaningful enough results to even warrant mentioning it at all and let people know that the phone exists. Dammit. Where's the endless ad campaigns???? This also means that Palm has to compete with at least two dominant players in the market and not the iPhone and everything else. Now behind the two clear leaders Palm has to convince people they are better than Blackberry which everyone knows and whatever Microsoft has coming out in the future. We need press!
    You're missing the point here. Android is taking share away from Apple, showing the iPhone to be vulnerable and increasing awareness of _alternatives_ in the marketplace. But, Android's not so great a competitor among the less technically savvy--the Pre simply competes better against Android than it does against Apple. So, it's great that Apple's stranglehold might be weakened because the makes room for everyone else, not just Android.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    i just want to see a number of Pre. anybody has any?
    let's not hate
  9.    #9  
    Hi, the only 2 reasons, I could see going with an andriod:

The fact that google designed the software with google voice in mind, which for me would mean free calls from home, including USA long distance, no matter the time of day.

It is an issue for me, b/c cell coverage in my house is spotty at best and I get completely free long distance nationwide, on my home phone, along with my DSL service.

In fact, as long as I maintain local service and DSL service with EMBARQ, (now called century link), my DSL service will NEVER increase in price and my long distance will continue to be FREE, as long as I live in this house and maitain my service with them for local phone and DSL.

However, now google voice is coming to the Pre. I might drop home phone service completely and just keep the dsl. Now if I go with Sprint I should be able to get the airave for free with no monthly fee. Or go with V and their version of the airave is $200, with no monthly fee but it eats into your minutes.

Now google voice will get around both of these choices.

The only other issue, is that I would prefer it if the next genertion of Pre, which I woudl think will come to Sprint first, (perhaps in the fall), I hope with a larger keyboard. I am only 5' 7" so my hands are not huge, so the keyboard on the Pre is OK, but I would prefer it if the keyboard was bigger.

Take care, Jay
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Wait till the new one comes out lol
    You're missing the point here. Android is taking share away from Apple, showing the iPhone to be vulnerable and increasing awareness of _alternatives_ in the marketplace.
    You think people don't know there are alternatives in the marketplace? The iPhone's share is like 35-40%, not 90. People know that alternatives exist in the share of desktop computer operating systems too and what kind of market share does Windows have? And here's a cure - walk into to a store!!!!!

But, Android's not so great a competitor among the less technically savvy--the Pre simply competes better against Android than it does against Apple. So, it's great that Apple's stranglehold might be weakened because the makes room for everyone else, not just Android.
    Do you really think that 99% of people will sit there carefully comparing the merits? It's pretty easy. Go into the store and the Verizon rep tells you that you don't need an iPhone because Android has tens of thousands of apps and a free turn by turn GPS. You think anyone is impressed with a number like "Palm's store doubled the number of apps in the last three months!"

No, this sucks. You can spin it any way you want. The two players at the top are pushing everyone out and the fringe players are Blackberry and Microsoft, two companies everyone knows are still in the game. We need the ads!!!!

PS - Samsung had a record quarter too.
    You guys do know that the iPhone 3gs was released in June right? Without a meaningful update since then while android being the open system that it seems to release a new handset once a week.

To me it's amazing that the iphone has a 16% market share this late in the course of the 3gs which has become outdated compared to devices like the nexus one.

like the previous poster said, wait til the 4.0 comes out then talk about market share