1.    #1  
    Hi Im new on here and just wanted some more info on the pre, ive read loads of reveiws, watched vids on youtube and joined here etc

So just wanted to know how great this phone is, cos my phone is so important to me and need to make the right choice?!! it never leaves my hand lol

I live in England and the pre NOT plus has just come out on a network (O2) so no one knows too much about it over here and everyone I ask says gei an Iphone but I kinda like the idea of something abit different.

So just wanted some advice tips etc on it?!

What are the apps like are there loads like the iphone

There's about a gazillion threads on here comparing the iPhone to the Pre already.. surf around a bit
    Also there is a GSM Pre forum where you can speak to experienced O2 users, the majority of posters in this section are CDMA Pre users.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekymonkey200 View Post
    Hi Im new on here and just wanted some more info on the pre, ive read loads of reveiws, watched vids on youtube and joined here etc

So just wanted to know how great this phone is, cos my phone is so important to me and need to make the right choice?!! it never leaves my hand lol

I live in England and the pre NOT plus has just come out on a network (O2) so no one knows too much about it over here and everyone I ask says gei an Iphone but I kinda like the idea of something abit different.

If phone is so important to you, which one are you using now and why are you changing phone now?
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Nope If it's millions of apps you crave then choose iPhone or Android. This time next year WebOS will have caught up, but it's still a young platform.

If you care about everything else the phone does, other than apps, then the Pre is superior in every category.

You might want to take a look at this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/general...hone-user.html
    The best advice that I or anyone can give you is to play with and research both, and then make a decision based on the one that you think meets most of your needs.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    for me the pre is working much better than the iphone i used last year from april to june. i'm a long time blackberry user and have had everything else from android to an old treo 650. the main benefit for what i use the phone for is multitasking. it's great to be able to use pandora while surfing the web, or being able to leave some of the great games available running in the background while checking a new email. the phone quality has been outstanding from call clarity, which is much better than my old blackberry storm, to reception in fringe areas. imo this is the best phone around from someone who has tried almost everything out there. but hey this is a pre forum.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    If phone is so important to you, which one are you using now and why are you changing phone now?
    I have a blackberry pearl at the moment, I do really like my blackberry but have had some promblems with it. But just thinking of having a change and they doesnt seem to be any great blackberry out there.

I was in the same boat as you. I'm also from the UK, and ultimately decided on the Pre. I have played around a lot with the Iphone 3GS (as my brother has one) and its safe to say i made the right decision. Obviously the app store is in its infancy, but come March we'll have paid apps, and sometime this month the new update.

Everyone was pushing me to get the Iphone, but the Pre is seriously the best phone i've owned. Its only available from O2 but they give you the wireless touchstone and back cover for free. Also if you sign up do it through Quidco and you'll get 35 cashback. Hope this helps!!
    I don't mean to be rude, but your logic baffles me. You come to Palm Pre forums to ask about our opinions versus your alternate choice, the iPhone. Clearly you've seen plenty of biased opinions here, and you will meet the same from an iPhone forum.

The only way for you to really make a choice is to go to the store that has either phone, play with it, and see which one feels right. I do NOT recommend the opinions of those in a forum, there's too much fanboyism, on both ends that can quite possibly lead you to the phone that you don't want.

I can easily tell you the pro's and con's on both phones, and just lead you to the phone I personally like. So do yourself a favor, and go out and touch the phone yourself. You wont regret that choice.
    If it's a choice between the Pre and the iPhone, I'd choose the iPhone. With the Pre Plus it's a little more difficult since the hardware is definitely better and I hated the 8GB limit of the first Pre. Gave it back. Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Nope If it's millions of apps you crave then choose iPhone or Android. This time next year WebOS will have caught up, but it's still a young platform.
    This should tell you all you need to know about objectivity. In six months WebOS will have 50,000 applications and will surpass the iPhone in sales.

While I could rag on the poor guy, some of the others did give a good point. Here everyone will tell you the iPhone isn't as good and that's why they are here. Some stuff I hated about the iPhone and love on the Pre. It's all about what means most to you and you haven't told us anything. Garbage in garbage out.
    Well, I don't think anyone can really put enough objective info in a reply here to help you make an intelligent choice ... you really just need to do some research and then go play with them both in a store. Having said that, here's my micro-comparison ...

In essence they are pretty similar ... very advanced, touchscreen phones, similar size screens and hardware, plenty of apps for business and entertainment, great web browsing from a mobile device. iPhone is "snappier" (no lag), has a million apps, and maybe an edge for entertainment (music player and games). Pre has multitasking and a very elegant UI, Synergy and good "cloud" connections for all of your contacts and PIM stuff, and a *very* open policy for tweaking the phone and creating apps.

I bought my Pre because of it's size/format (more pocket friendly), it was on Sprint (better than AT&T in the states), I was a previous Palm user, and it wasn't an iPhone (I liked that it was "different").
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I have a blackberry pearl at the moment, I do really like my blackberry but have had some promblems with it. But just thinking of having a change and they doesnt seem to be any great blackberry out there.
    Just to give a little personal experience here. We bought a 3GS for my mother-in-law, and I have Pre, my wife has 3G. I would say Pre beats 3G in all areas, except the number of apps. But like others saying, that's going to change, especially when $1,000,000 is on the line.

Feature wise, Pre with WebOS 1.4 (this month hopefully) will be on par with 3GS. 3GS UI is faster, smoother scrolling and all around a better feeling, but of course no multitasking. If you use emails and calendar a lot, Pre would be a good fit, because you can switch between very fast. On 3GS, is a few presses. Also without physical buttons, it is hard to build muscle memories on iPhone. No matter how many times you have done it, you still have to look at the screen looking for the icon or button.

Compare to BB, I think iPhone and Pre are quite different. I always liked the BB keyboard, even better than Treo's, but Pre definitely beats iPhone there, because it at least has a keyboard.

I think if you don't experiment with Pre too much like some of the people on this forum do, Pre is pretty stable. I don't have any patches installed and only have a few homebrew apps. I am a heavy app and web user, so I still need to reset from time to time. IPhone resets a lot less, but it does not both me. Because most of the time I have to reset because I was doing something very intensive, not casual use or on a phone call.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    My gal has the iPhone. WebOS is definitely cooler and more integrated if you like to have Facebook, linkedin, your contacts and stuff in one. But the iPhone apps do a lot of that stuff very well too. I still like WebOS better. If you do more than just contacts, phone calls and basic email, the iPhone apps make a really big difference. I have the Pre Plus because I can't live without the keyboard. I really miss the apps very badly but I can't type on anything else and better to have a phone that works for you than a ton of apps where you can't type. If the hardware keyboard makes a difference, there is no contest. If you live for a lot of apps that make life easier and extend just your contacts, calendar and sn stuff, the iPhone is for you. I really like my Pre for what it does but I realize I could be an exception. Good luck.
    Hi Cheeky - for me the choice had much to do with carrier. I'm on Sprint and very happy with the coverage; people here with the iPhone complain all the time about dropped calls. I wasn't about to switch to AT&T. I think you need to do your research on the carrier as well as the phone.
    That said, I truly love my Pre. It does everything I ask of it and does it well (except for voice dialing, which is the only thing I think it really lacks...don't care about video, and I have visual voicemail through Google Voice). I do wish the battery wasn't quite so quick to drain, but I make sure I have a charger at work and in my vehicle, just in case. And I'm hoping the 1.4 update will help to address that.
    This has been the best phone I've ever owned. Hope you feel the same about whichever phone you choose.
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post

If you care about everything else the phone does, other than apps, then the Pre is superior in every category.
    ]

I agree with SqyArc. But you should try both for your self and the 999,100 of the iPhone apps are total crap. I was an iPhone user before Pre and like the Pre much better. The only thing better on the iPhone is the browser. But the Pre browser is getting better.
    Quote Originally Posted by B_Rad View Post
    I agree with SqyArc. But you should try both for your self and the 999,100 of the iPhone apps are total crap. I was an iPhone user before Pre and like the Pre much better. The only thing better on the iPhone is the browser. But the Pre browser is getting better.
    I know why I like my pre but I wouldn't tell anybody that all the iPHone apps are total crap. If just 5% are great and that still is a few thousand great apps. The iPHone has the Pre beat like an olympic biker against a senior citizen. That's the way it is right now.

So why bother with the pre? You buy a pre because you like the efficient way the core system works like calendars, contacts, social networking sites and the way it is all integrated so well. it's probably where you'll spend a lot of your time and for many it's most of it. You also buy the pre because the keyboard is real. It's much better than typing on an iphone. you have confidence that apps will come soon and some are already in.

buy an iphone 3gs and jailbreak it!its the best thing that is out there. the iphone is the #1 smart phone in the world!