Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    iPad: No multitasking, huge bezel, At&t, no e-reader ability, 1gz =Pass/wait till iPad 2.0. I was more intrigued with the rumors than the actual "iPad".

I think Palm can rule the tablet world if a tablet of webOS was created. It will be called The PRElet!!! Remember the Foleo nightmare? This will make up for those past mistakes and if Sprint gets this in the summer with similar stop and go data plans as the ipad data plan on At&t it will dominate.

It would replace, laptops, nettops, kindles, maxipads, and possibly desktops depending on the amount of apps we get. Docs2go can't be our flagship word processor however, we would need Microsoft Office or something totally different. Remember 50 cards on the Pre Plus? Imagine a 1000.

It also needs to use the entire screen unlike the iPad, 2 usb ports, 2 sd card slots, 5mp front and back camera, proximity sensors, thin, replaceable batteries, touchstone capable, and give some unheard of fast processing chip, some new color e-reader switch mode, and 24hrs of constant battery use. Hopefully Palm is reading this.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    Hopefully Palm is reading this.
    I hope they aren't. Apple can afford to take risks with niche products while Palm would die quickly if they entered questionable markets like this.

Palm needs to focus on making a good solid phone, and since they've yet to do that then I would prefer they keep their eyes on the road.
    no it cant use the entire screen unless youve never used a webos phone there NEEDS to be a gesture area
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I hope they aren't. Apple can afford to take risks with niche products while Palm would die quickly if they entered questionable markets like this.

Palm needs to focus on making a good solid phone, and since they've yet to do that then I would prefer they keep their eyes on the road.
    Die? They can always partner up with companies like Dell if that were to be a problem. WebOS is versatile meaning there wouldn't be that much change from a Pre screen to a 9in or less screen. They already created the OS, they can put this on anything they want. Palm should venture out. The Pre will soon be old news in a couple more months and to stay ahead they have to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    no it cant use the entire screen unless youve never used a webos phone there NEEDS to be a gesture area
    Well an on screen gesture area doesn't seem like a huge obstacle unless of course you've already tried making one and failed miserably.
    WOW! a "PalmBook" with a gesture area. Or would that be call a touchpad area. Think it's been done.
  6.    #6  
    I wouldn't even mind if this future tablet was half WebOS and half color e-ink similar to the Spring Design's Alex. Its half Android and half e-ink. It allows for a dual screen browsing experience. I don't know about the rest of you guys but I spend way too much time looking at LCDs, be it phones, computers, tvs, etc. I'd much rather browse sites like engadget or precentral through an e-ink display.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I'm sorry but Palm should give this a pass. The maxiPad, from a business perspective, is a stupid device so why should Palm even bother. Think about it. It doesn't do anything that a Touch or iPhone can't already do. Basically it's an eReader that can also play iPhone apps - and for that privilege you get to pay twice the price of a Kindle.

Palm doesn't need the distraction. A larger screen (3.5 or 3.7) on the next WebOS device will surfice to make a Kindle or Nook app worth while.
    people and their STUPID! Ideas
    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    It also needs to use the entire screen unlike the iPad, 2 usb ports, 2 sd card slots, 5mp front and back camera, proximity sensors, thin, replaceable batteries, touchstone capable, and give some unheard of fast processing chip, some new color e-reader switch mode, and 24hrs of constant battery use. Hopefully Palm is reading this.
    I agree COMPLETELY!!!

I'd love to see Palm make the iPrePad...all puns intended

1. OS - webOS Frontend and Linux Ubuntu backend capable of running the best of both words....webOS interfacing, software development, and Linux that handles standard distro and options not provided by any other device.
    2. Loaded with Hardware & Resources - memory, processor, storage, gfx power, OLED, etc...
    3. Obvious stuff Apple should have remembered - Mutlitasking, USB interfacing, Expansion, Camera (for photos and video), etc

Wow, Apple dropped the ball and I'd buy this system with the ability to do everything my Pre offers and more with the extra hardware and software.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love more access to Linux, a bigger touch screen, more resources, etc... Sorli...
    Not going to happen, slates are trying to create a market which doesn't exist. And palm wouldn't be dumb enough to jump into that game.

What do you use on the go? I use my Pre, it's small fits in my pocket and is fast. When I'm somewhere where I have time to do some work I open my laptop, not as fast to start as the Pre but gets a lot done. When I get home and need to do some heavy work I use a desktop.

Slates try to fit between a mobile phone and a laptop, but when would you have the need for something similar to a smart phone in capabilities but not nearly as powerful as your laptop?

The only way a slate could succeed is if it eats another market. Microsoft's Courier fits as it seems to be a very usable laptop. The iPad is a bad PDA, being way to large to have anywhere but on your coffee table, and a horrible laptop being uncomfortable and can only do one thing. A palm version could do multiple things, but I can't see it replacing a laptop, and they already do mobile devices amazingly.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts

I agree, I like my Pre but it does have a lot of room for improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Not going to happen, slates are trying to create a market which doesn't exist.
    First, a slate/pad device isn't meant to replace a phone or a computer, but rather work with a phone and a computer. This is why it's an MID (Mobile Internet Device).

Palm's opportunity here is to leverage the capability of WebOS in an MID form factor (again, think 8-10" screen / no buttons). Now I say this because I don't see the WebOS as a smartphone OS - instead, it's a mobile OS - an OS that you're meant to operate with your fingers/hands.

The application of such a device is:
    -Browsing
    -Reading
    -Streaming (TV, Music, Video, Audio, Amazon VOD, Etc...)
    -Socializing(VidConf, IM, )
    -Gaming?

Example: I'm in bed wanting to catch-up on the latest Precentral and engadget news, I would want to use a Prelate/WebPad.
    Example: I'm at an airport lounge and I want to catch-up on season 2 of Californication, again, an 9-10" MID would be perfect.
    Example: I'm on the subway, and I want to read today's paper (digitally) - again, MID.
    Example: I want to watch TV which I'm in the kitchen cooking - again, my trusty PreiSlatePad would be there with me.

Now, I'm sure there are devices that can already address some of my MID needs, but none of these devices have a user interface that is as thought out and flexible as what WebOS offers. So, if Palm builds a device like this, or lets someone build a device like this that runs WebOS, I would want to buy it (and I believe many others would too).

I should add that I don't believe that the PrePad should have connection ports other than an audio, microSD, and Sim card slot as it is not a computer. If you need to plug something in or attach something, you probably need to use a laptop. Anything else should be handled wirelessly, or via a dock (if you must connected to something else, like a TV)

-Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by babmike View Post
    First, a slate/pad device isn't meant to replace a phone or a computer, but rather work with a phone and a computer. This is why it's an MID (Mobile Internet Device).

Palm's opportunity here is to leverage the capability of WebOS in an MID form factor (again, think 8-10" screen / no buttons). Now I say this because I don't see the WebOS as a smartphone OS - instead, it's a mobile OS - an OS that you're meant to operate with your fingers/hands.

The application of such a device is:
    -Browsing
    -Reading
    -Streaming (TV, Music, Video, Audio, Amazon VOD, Etc...)
    -Socializing(VidConf, IM, )
    -Gaming?

-Mike
    I agree with most of what you said, besides not having output capabilities, but it did spure some interesting notions.

How bout a tablet system that does what you said to complement our environment and truly serve as a middle man device persay between our desktops and cell phones.

1. Remote Control for AV, Home Automation, or otherwise - How many of us buy $200 Remote Controls (I own two Harmony Remotes) to work their AV Systems in the living rooms? The PrePad would only need a way to control the system via IR or RF with a remote IR transmitter...and the right software interface to make it useful
    2. Audio/Video Conduit - would be great to play Pandora from our Multitasking PrePad and broadcasting the audio on our Stereo units in another room via a transmit module, IR, RF interface. Logitech and other companies have already created great software and could sell their Software IP to clients using PrePad or Pre for the that matter if they had an interface to link and control their entertainment environments
    3. Appliance companies - tried in the past to bring touch screens into the kitchen attached to appliances or otherwise, but failed because who can afford these innovations with limited use...PrePad could be a perfect complement between the kitchen, reading room, and Lanai where the traditional computer would not be found.

All of this is just speculation...but your notion about not having extra controls and ports makes since because these aspects increase bulk and size to accommodate. The Docking Station could serve as the link and allow for HDMI, IR/RF output, Audio and Video, etc to allow sending and receiving. We know this is possible because their are companies already producing these type of interfaces to control and link in AV room and systems. Same is being produced to link between AV racks and flat screens mounted on walls to remove the need for cables and conduits.

Interesting.... Sorli...
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    I'll buy an improved version of asus-eee-pc-t91-touchscreen-netbook before I waste the same amount of money for a less functional device..
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    I think this is my 48th time saying it, but i'd pay $600+ for The Joo Joo if it ran webOS.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I'm not trying to argue with you with these questions, but I'm just curious if it would be realistic to be carrying a MID in these scenarios:

Example: I'm in bed wanting to catch-up on the latest Precentral and engadget news, I would want to use a Prelate/WebPad.
    I agree with this one. As a home reader then it has tons of appeal... (pending the device has flash support)

Example: I'm at an airport lounge and I want to catch-up on season 2 of Californication, again, an 9-10" MID would be perfect.
    Again I agree and felt the same way about couch/travel video consumption. BUT, if you're at the airport then wouldn't you have your laptop also? A laptop has a bigger screen and is a no-handed device with an adjustable viewing angle keeping hands free for eating/smartphone/etc

Example: I'm on the subway, and I want to read today's paper (digitally) - again, MID.
    What bag are you carrying on the subway? For me, I'm either carrying a business bag which contains my notebook or nothing. On the train reading with MID's would be a joy, but once you get off a MID requires a purse sized bag so do you realistically see yourself carrying that?

Example: I want to watch TV which I'm in the kitchen cooking - again, my trusty PreiSlatePad would be there with me.
    A laptops built in stand and adjustable viewing angle has already been pointed out. But moreso, even our older notebooks have networking to stream files and give us access to an entire library rather than a portion that we had to previously sync to the device.

So thats my thoughts. I'm not slamming your ideas. I really want a MID and may likely buy one, but just like the Wii then its more enticing in theory than in practice. Because FOR ME there are better devices for the job that I already own.
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    With regard to the need for this product, I was recently at my branch bank. All of the supervisors were walking around with tablet laptops. They seemed to use them to access the bank systems from wherever they were, so that they didn't need to log in to a terminal every time. The laptops they were using were quite bulky - a slimmer, lighter slate might be just what they need. I think this is something that more and more businesses are doing. This may very well be a good niche for Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    1. Remote Control for AV, Home Automation, or otherwise - How many of us buy $200 Remote Controls (I own two Harmony Remotes) to work their AV Systems in the living rooms? The PrePad would only need a way to control the system via IR or RF with a remote IR transmitter...and the right software interface to make it useful
    2. Audio/Video Conduit - would be great to play Pandora from our Multitasking PrePad and broadcasting the audio on our Stereo units in another room via a transmit module, IR, RF interface. Logitech and other companies have already created great software and could sell their Software IP to clients using PrePad or Pre for the that matter if they had an interface to link and control their entertainment environments
    3. Appliance companies - tried in the past to bring touch screens into the kitchen attached to appliances or otherwise, but failed because who can afford these innovations with limited use...PrePad could be a perfect complement between the kitchen, reading room, and Lanai where the traditional computer would not be found.

All of this is just speculation...but your notion about not having extra controls and ports makes since because these aspects increase bulk and size to accommodate. The Docking Station could serve as the link and allow for HDMI, IR/RF output, Audio and Video, etc to allow sending and receiving. We know this is possible because their are companies already producing these type of interfaces to control and link in AV room and systems.

Interesting.... Sorli...
    I didn't think about Remote Control or Home Automation, but that's an excellent point - there should be an app for that . I had a chance to go to the interior design show here in Toronto and they had a home automation booth where you interact with your home through wall based LCD panels - but a portable interface would be way better (in addition to an integrated one). Plus, If I'm on the couch with my PrePadSlim, it would be nice if I could 'drag' a movie or something from the device into to a TV - for it to play on the TV (Streaming) wirelessly. Add to that light control and you're set

In terms of ports on the device bulk is exactly the reason why i would prefer for them to be on the dock.

-Mike
    I'm not trying to argue with you with these questions, but I'm just curious if it would be realistic to be carrying a MID in these scenarios:
    First, the MID that I'm talking about would be WebOS and all of its benefits, which includes flash starting from 1.4.

In regards to all of my scenarios, I could use a laptop. It simply becomes a point of convenience and preference. Given the following options, what device would I prefer to use:

-Laptop
    -Netbook
    -MID (PreSlatePad)
    -Smartphone

And in each of my examples, I would prefer the MID.

Now, again, I'm thinking about something the size/weight of the Kindle but with no buttons or keys - just display.

Also, my laptop is an 17" HP - I don't want to move if i don't have to! So on the subway, you're correct, I would need something to hold/carry the device in, and if i'm already carrying my laptop, there is room for the preSlate.

Also, laptop + rush hour + public transit - it's just not a good idea. So, standing, i woudn't be able to use a laptop, plus, with the boot-up time, etc... it's more trouble than its worth.

Airport + air travel: Lets assume that I didn't check the laptop in, and have it in the cabin with me. Coach seating doesn't provide much space for a laptop with more than 14" display. Plus, the battery life isn't that great, you're looking at 2-3 hours at best. True, my 12-cell battery did provide me with 4-5 hours for the first 6 months or so, but now, I'm lucky to get 2 hrs. Plus, a laptop tends to heat my lap (among other things) too much for my liking.

A Netbook would be too slow and probably annoying - mainly because it runs an OS developed for a personal computer.

So as I think about an iPad like device running WebOS, it simply makes sense. And yes, if Joo Joo did run WebOS, I would have probably 'pre'-ordered one by now.

-Mike
    I didn't think about Remote Control or Home Automation, but that's an excellent point - there should be an app for that . I had a chance to go to the interior design show here in Toronto and they had a home automation booth where you interact with your home through wall based LCD panels - but a portable interface would be way better (in addition to an integrated one). Plus, If I'm on the couch with my PrePadSlim, it would be nice if I could 'drag' a movie or something from the device into to a TV - for it to play on the TV (Streaming) wirelessly. Add to that light control and you're set

In terms of ports on the device bulk is exactly the reason why i would prefer for them to be on the dock.

-Mike
    Yes I agree...

It is amazing how many people here on precentral automatically say it shouldn't happen and Palm Should Pass...why would anyone discourage Palm from innovating???

There are so many ideas I haven't touched on for a PrePad and look at all the buzz and interest for the ipad on Google News. Apple isn't scheduled to release anything for another 2 months (3 months if you want 3g) and Technology news is filled to the brim (top 10 apps for the iPad, reader polls, etc) with comments and speculation both positive and negative. Heck, it's getting more airtime then Obama's speech on the same day...bad day for a Presidential Address!

To be honest, I'm tired of the headlines saying ipad this and ipad that....would anyone like toast with their meal. You can't even buy the device, most people who have seen it think it is interesting, but won't buy it, and wish it simply would offer more like we're speculating here. Apple has been working on this for three (3) years...yikes they sound more like Microsoft everyday...standing back on their heals, trying to reinvent what has already been done, and not thinking out of the box.

Speaking of thinking out of the box and what more the PrePad can offer:

1. PrePad Dock that interfaces with our desktops as a second screen for icon control, preview window, etc. Asus is making something like this with a Keyboard and another company is making a 7" display to pair up with Windows, but neither is portable and thinking more like what a PrePad could accomplish.
    2. Software Interface and Enhancement through webOS to communicate and transfer data back and forth. This is needed for all webOS devices...the ability to drag and drop seamlessly from the desktop (Linux, Mac and Windows) right to our hand-held and tablets so users on the go can get up and go.
    3. A Docking Station also for all webOS devices - providing Touchstone Charging, WIFI and USB dongle interface for our computers to Sync Data Wirelessly and transfer info back and forth to and from webOS devices
    4. Touchpad Interface that allows input like the Wacom tablets, but is both portable and bound wirelessly to the desktop so I can sketch by hand and draw images on my PrePad and manifest on screen in Photoshop or otherwise. This isn't complicated and it can already be done with software like VNC...I just want it to be simple, with a pass-thru interface to use my desktop apps, media center controls, and provided on a 9" touchscreen. Speaking of Wacom, they already do this with their CintiQ devices that cost $1K+ for something less usable. Who would have thought a device like that would sell, may not in the millions, but their still innovating in this direction.
    5. Wow the options are endless - I could go on...but the last notion with VNC like interfacing would remove most if not all obstacles allowing Media Center Control, Home Automation Control, and the list goes on since most everything (XBOX 360, PS3, PC, Macs, etc) can now be controlled remotely via WIFI interfacing.

I don't expect Palm to do this, but I'm hoping they keep thinking out of the box and strive where Apple and Microsoft no-longer seem too.

I'm sure many people here will disagree with me, but how many of you really think Microsoft and Apple are innovating like they used too? I love Apple products and I'm typing on my Mac Pro workstation as we speak, but I won't have a iPad and even my wife who was initially excited hopes were dampered (no Mac OSx, no standard apps like Word, no Flash) when we realized how limiting and restrictive it would be. We were simply hoping for a tablet version of a Mac laptop, but instead we got an over-sized iPod Touch and iPhone.

Apple has two months to fix things, bring Flash, and enhance their offering...You never know.

We'll just have to wait and see what Palm does and if they are paying attention and continues to innovate.

Sorli...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast