Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Excellent...an expert has arrived...time to pack things up and give up hope when it comes to my beloved Palm Pre...

Yes...that may be Apple's plan, but then they already control the smartphone market. Apple could come out with a new device called iBox with an Apple Logo slapped on it and sell a million...Apple doesn't have to try to hard and I'm happy for them. At least they are trying and not sitting on their laurels.

Palm on the other hand needs to innovate like they did with the Palm Pre and webOS and create something different and ever so slightly better then everyone else so people will stop and say Hmm.

It's a great idea to be status quo when you have no competition or at least on top of the hill looking down on everyone.

Bill Gates supposedly uttered this statement, in defense of the just-introduced IBM PC's 640KB usable RAM limit: "640K ought to be enough for anybody."

I guess he wasn't thinking about the future and Windows Vista and 7, and I'm happy Palm doesn't take your advice. Sorli...
    I had always thought that webOS would make a great tablet OS - easy to use, intuitive, multi-tasking. And, I bet it would be less expensive than an Apple product.

Anyone at Palm thinking about this?
    Dave
    "Life moves fast. Don't miss a thing" > "Works like nothing else"

Palm IIIxe -> Tungsten T3 -> Lifedrive -> TX -> Verizon Centro -> Verizon Pre+ and TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by daveandcori View Post
    Anyone at Palm thinking about this?
    I think it would be a great idea

1. Prepod interface, tablet or otherwise
    2. Or maybe just an Oversized Pre 2 to make the screen more usuable
    3. A Docking Station for all webOS devices - with external interfacing, inductive charging, Multimedia interfacing, HDMI, Composite Output, etc would also be interesting.

I wish Palm and Rubi actually read Precentral Forums...but I've only seen him on Engadget forums and suspect Precentral is just too busy for Palm.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    It is amazing how many people here on precentral automatically say it shouldn't happen and Palm Should Pass...why would anyone discourage Palm from innovating???
    Google has about 20,000 employees. Apple has about 30,000 employees. Microsoft has about 60,000 employees. And Palm? Palm has about 1200.

"Innovation" takes time, money and resources. Apple, Google and MS have what is necessary to take high risks and churn out duds every few years. But Palm is barely able to survive and all they have is one product which is going to quickly be forgotten if they can't keep pace with the industry. So why the heck would anyone running WebOS want them to divert ANY time to making a tablet device in a market that has yet to establish any sense of "need"?
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Webos tablet coming soon - see image below

Love it...
  7.    #27  
    Da*m, I forgot I started this thread. I have to read through all of these posts so I can reply to them!!
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    I think this is my 48th time saying it, but i'd pay $600+ for The Joo Joo if it ran webOS.
    Hell YEAH~!!@#@!
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by babmike View Post
    First, a slate/pad device isn't meant to replace a phone or a computer, but rather work with a phone and a computer. This is why it's an MID (Mobile Internet Device).

Palm's opportunity here is to leverage the capability of WebOS in an MID form factor (again, think 8-10" screen / no buttons). Now I say this because I don't see the WebOS as a smartphone OS - instead, it's a mobile OS - an OS that you're meant to operate with your fingers/hands.

The application of such a device is:
    -Browsing
    -Reading
    -Streaming (TV, Music, Video, Audio, Amazon VOD, Etc...)
    -Socializing(VidConf, IM, )
    -Gaming?

Example: I'm in bed wanting to catch-up on the latest Precentral and engadget news, I would want to use a Prelate/WebPad.
    Example: I'm at an airport lounge and I want to catch-up on season 2 of Californication, again, an 9-10" MID would be perfect.
    Example: I'm on the subway, and I want to read today's paper (digitally) - again, MID.
    Example: I want to watch TV which I'm in the kitchen cooking - again, my trusty PreiSlatePad would be there with me.

Now, I'm sure there are devices that can already address some of my MID needs, but none of these devices have a user interface that is as thought out and flexible as what WebOS offers. So, if Palm builds a device like this, or lets someone build a device like this that runs WebOS, I would want to buy it (and I believe many others would too).

I should add that I don't believe that the PrePad should have connection ports other than an audio, microSD, and Sim card slot as it is not a computer. If you need to plug something in or attach something, you probably need to use a laptop. Anything else should be handled wirelessly, or via a dock (if you must connected to something else, like a TV)

-Mike
    Great post. For some strange reason nerds think taking out a 14in laptop or 10in netbook is still hip these days.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Yes I agree...

It is amazing how many people here on precentral automatically say it shouldn't happen and Palm Should Pass...why would anyone discourage Palm from innovating???

There are so many ideas I haven't touched on for a PrePad and look at all the buzz and interest for the ipad on Google News. Apple isn't scheduled to release anything for another 2 months (3 months if you want 3g) and Technology news is filled to the brim (top 10 apps for the iPad, reader polls, etc) with comments and speculation both positive and negative. Heck, it's getting more airtime then Obama's speech on the same day...bad day for a Presidential Address!

To be honest, I'm tired of the headlines saying ipad this and ipad that....would anyone like toast with their meal. You can't even buy the device, most people who have seen it think it is interesting, but won't buy it, and wish it simply would offer more like we're speculating here. Apple has been working on this for three (3) years...yikes they sound more like Microsoft everyday...standing back on their heals, trying to reinvent what has already been done, and not thinking out of the box.

Speaking of thinking out of the box and what more the PrePad can offer:

1. PrePad Dock that interfaces with our desktops as a second screen for icon control, preview window, etc. Asus is making something like this with a Keyboard and another company is making a 7" display to pair up with Windows, but neither is portable and thinking more like what a PrePad could accomplish.
    2. Software Interface and Enhancement through webOS to communicate and transfer data back and forth. This is needed for all webOS devices...the ability to drag and drop seamlessly from the desktop (Linux, Mac and Windows) right to our hand-held and tablets so users on the go can get up and go.
    3. A Docking Station also for all webOS devices - providing Touchstone Charging, WIFI and USB dongle interface for our computers to Sync Data Wirelessly and transfer info back and forth to and from webOS devices
    4. Touchpad Interface that allows input like the Wacom tablets, but is both portable and bound wirelessly to the desktop so I can sketch by hand and draw images on my PrePad and manifest on screen in Photoshop or otherwise. This isn't complicated and it can already be done with software like VNC...I just want it to be simple, with a pass-thru interface to use my desktop apps, media center controls, and provided on a 9" touchscreen. Speaking of Wacom, they already do this with their CintiQ devices that cost $1K+ for something less usable. Who would have thought a device like that would sell, may not in the millions, but their still innovating in this direction.
    5. Wow the options are endless - I could go on...but the last notion with VNC like interfacing would remove most if not all obstacles allowing Media Center Control, Home Automation Control, and the list goes on since most everything (XBOX 360, PS3, PC, Macs, etc) can now be controlled remotely via WIFI interfacing.

I don't expect Palm to do this, but I'm hoping they keep thinking out of the box and strive where Apple and Microsoft no-longer seem too.

I'm sure many people here will disagree with me, but how many of you really think Microsoft and Apple are innovating like they used too? I love Apple products and I'm typing on my Mac Pro workstation as we speak, but I won't have a iPad and even my wife who was initially excited hopes were dampered (no Mac OSx, no standard apps like Word, no Flash) when we realized how limiting and restrictive it would be. We were simply hoping for a tablet version of a Mac laptop, but instead we got an over-sized iPod Touch and iPhone.

Apple has two months to fix things, bring Flash, and enhance their offering...You never know.

We'll just have to wait and see what Palm does and if they are paying attention and continues to innovate.

Sorli...
    Amazing post. They need to throw you on the developing squad at Palm! But hell yes. Apple and Microsoft are doing nothing amazing. WebOS is a mobile OS that feels like a da*n OS. Even Joshua Topolsky (head dude at engadget) has the Palm PRe as one of his favorite devices. Not for its speed but for what its potential is and feel. I don't even touch my dell m1330 that I paid $1700 for because its slow compared to my 500 dollar dell 530s. I can't use a netbook because that is just torture for me. I don't want to get the iPad but I might since I will eventually need something portable and larger than my Pre.

Palm has a major opportunity here. If they don't have the cash to make one throw it on a joojoo, a dell mini slate!!, anything. They will sell that OS like hot pancakes. All the nerds that nay-say this idea will eventually get one and hide it from us. What do they have to lose!
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Not going to happen, slates are trying to create a market which doesn't exist. And palm wouldn't be dumb enough to jump into that game.

What do you use on the go? I use my Pre, it's small fits in my pocket and is fast. When I'm somewhere where I have time to do some work I open my laptop, not as fast to start as the Pre but gets a lot done. When I get home and need to do some heavy work I use a desktop.

Slates try to fit between a mobile phone and a laptop, but when would you have the need for something similar to a smart phone in capabilities but not nearly as powerful as your laptop?

The only way a slate could succeed is if it eats another market. Microsoft's Courier fits as it seems to be a very usable laptop. The iPad is a bad PDA, being way to large to have anywhere but on your coffee table, and a horrible laptop being uncomfortable and can only do one thing. A palm version could do multiple things, but I can't see it replacing a laptop, and they already do mobile devices amazingly.
    You are the minority my friend. The only place I see laptops opened are at coffee shops and libraries. I gave my laptop to my little sister because I hate them now. A tablet with a functional, fast OS such as WebOS with a larger screen real estate, mobile connectivity, microsd, and speed would dominate the market (willing enough apps come out in time to help it like a very functional and amazing word processor, and other desktop apps) and most definitely replace laptops and netbooks for on the goers that have no other choice but to lug that 5lbs laptop with them on the train.

Regarding Microsoft Courier, its not out, writing on tablets has not been improved since graffiti, and who really draws pictures of sneakers, or dreams of color palettes as the video suggests. That was a make believe video for designers and the last time I checked many of us aren't.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm sorry but your strategy misses the mark completely. Tablets have been a failure for over a decade because trying to turn a computer into a tablet is a significant compromise for the user and simply isn't compelling in practice. It's not about cramming as many features into a compact package.

Apple is really going after people who use netbooks and e-readers and offering them more ease of use, better graphics, better browsing, lots of apps at a comparable price. And, by introducing essentially a blank slate to the consumer markets they also allow the evelopment of vertical applications for students, pilots, healthcare, industry, etc., mirroring the success of the iPhone/iPod Touch. Taking a share of the content delivery allows the subsidization of the lower-end devices. Otherwise, how could you buy an iPad for less than an unlocked smartphone?
    The majority of the public use 4 major things on a computer, YOUtube, Facebook, Myspace, and Google. Thats it in a nutshell. Apple understands this and that's why they've made their iPad as ***** proof as possible and it doesn't hurt that you have access to use 150K apps either. Sure everyone wants extra crap on their device, like a nice desktop windows experience, but with todays tech, trying to do this only leads to failure because its too slow for society. Hence the iPad, a larger iPhone without the phone, and it will sell millions.

Palm on the other hand is on the brink of death with WebOS even though they've created a forward thinking futuristic OS. Why, because those who know Palm think of that old tired Centro OS, or worse no one really knows what the hell it is from those crappy commercials and they are just not moving fast enough with their OS. Soon Apple will get word of multitasking and take away from WebOS's current user base.

If Palm doesn't want to make a tablet they don't, they can always sell their OS to joojoo, or other tablet makers like dell. The more the OS is out there, the more people will get word of it and this will eventually lead to more sells. Its not like Palm has to start from scratch by doing this. They can have a small team dedicated to this and just continue working on their mobile devices.
    YEAH! .... And then we woke up!
    The Saint
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Google has about 20,000 employees. Apple has about 30,000 employees. Microsoft has about 60,000 employees. And Palm? Palm has about 1200.

"Innovation" takes time, money and resources. Apple, Google and MS have what is necessary to take high risks and churn out duds every few years. But Palm is barely able to survive and all they have is one product which is going to quickly be forgotten if they can't keep pace with the industry. So why the heck would anyone running WebOS want them to divert ANY time to making a tablet device in a market that has yet to establish any sense of "need"?
    I must have missed your post but yeah Palm isn't one of the giants but they've already created WebOS and Jon Rub said it can be thrown on anything. Selling an OS to a tablet will only help them. The leg work is done. Leave it to tablet manufacturers to figure out where a gesture area will fit.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    I must have missed your post but yeah Palm isn't one of the giants but they've already created WebOS and Jon Rub said it can be thrown on anything. Selling an OS to a tablet will only help them. The leg work is done. Leave it to tablet manufacturers to figure out where a gesture area will fit.
    Damn likeobama, you may like President Obama j/k, but you've got one hellova point. License the OS for tablet use only and let the hardware guys go nuts - who know they may even come up some cool innovations you can cross license for smart phones.
    PCWorld.com just released a news article 'iPad Killer' May be Palm's Last Hope that references many of our comparisons here.

Take a look when you get a chance and see what think about their notions and directions Palm should head if they "want to survive."

One of their points makes a lot of since and keys onto via options for webOS on this type of platform

While there are PC loyalists that feel the tablet PC should be defined by a "real" operating system such as Windows 7, the approach taken by Apple with the iPad has been to use the iPhone mobile OS. The result is more a portable media consumption device than a mobile computer, but it has instant-on and superior battery life among other things. Palm could leverage similar advantages with a WebOS tablet.
    I put my two cents in already
    I agree with many of your points and I've referenced multiple times on Precentral.net that Palm should come up with a PrePad and trump everyone (Apple, Microsoft, Google) out the gate. Apple can't do it with iPhone OS simply because it is to big and bulky - if they could they would have offered Multitasking years ago, Microsoft Windows 7 isn't much better and slows down quickly without beefy hardware and ram, and Google Android...yikes has anyone else noticed how slow Android can be).

The PrePad could easily excel with a 9 or 10" touchpad tablet display and clamshell keyboard interface running both native ubuntu Linux and webOS. The clamshell design allow users to interface and plugin devices via usb, SD cards, or otherwise like a regular laptop system for expandability and also provides a native keyboard for word-processing, texting, or spreadsheet entry. Running both Linux and webOS together gives the PrePad the ability to run 10s of 100k+ native apps designed specifically for linux world while keeping the front-end interface and usability of webOS so popular.

The clamshell design expansion ports, extra storage, and keyboard/touchpad interfacing could then separate from the touchscreen tablet interface and operated natively as a webOS mobile device for portability. Want to type a paper...use the clamshell interface and keyboard and if you want to simply read a book...switch to native webOS and interface with the best multitasking and mutitouch operating system alive.

All of this can be done both quickly and efficiently without wasting time and money on R&D trying to make things work. Palm's native webOS and Linux underpinning OS platforms can accomplish most of this already, but anything is possible with the right initiative.

I think it would rock and hopefully Palm is paying attention, Sorli...
    and hopefully those on this Thread and Precentral.net will also join in with some positive sentiment. Sorli...
  17.    #37  
    Palm can license out to Notion Ink Adam.
    Notion Ink Adam Tablet Caught On Video, Specs Finalized - ADAM - Gizmodo

It looks pretty fast, can run Ubuntu, Android, and Chromium, they just need a way to implement on-screen gestures which doesn't seem too hard.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12