Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    hmm... you make me wonder how sensitive this touch screen is... i mean make an app to bring up a note pad and use a stylus to write and you would have a tablet. expand on the app to do handwriting recognition and would be cool. dragon app can already take voice dictation. The possibility of what can be made with apps is wide open.

gaming would be tough too as mentioned... but you saw the stand? opens up possibilities.... you have bluetooth so maybe bluetooth controllers will be developed... yes a lot to lug around but just tossing an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post

However, what really bothers me about all of this is, this isn't a tablet! The concept of a tablet is being able to write on your computer with a stylus all in a full fledged OS. iPad lacks all of this. You cannot use it to take notes in class or in a meeting. You cannot do very simple drawings to explain things to clients. You cannot have it interpret your handwriting into text. Does it even have a mic? I don't think you could even use it as a voice recorder. If this had a forward facing webcam and a mic, I would consider this as a skyping tool. But no.
    I want to add one more thing about the possibility of a Palm tablet. Good idea, but not yet. Palm needs to get stable first.

However, if they did decide to make a tablet at a later date I am not sure the current version of WebOS would handle it well. Looking at a single app at a time is great for a phone, but I have windows cascaded on my laptop all the time. I think Palm would need to implement a snap feature like in windows 7. Otherwise the card thing would work well too.

They need quality office software available that integrates into MS Office. Love it or hate it MS Office is the standard.

They need to allow for resistive input from a stylus so people can write on the device. This also means they need to get software that allows for handwriting interpretations.

All in all, this would be a pretty tall order for a company like Palm to do. They would need to grow significantly and even then it might be a gamble.

Right now I would predict the elusive MS Messenger Tablet to be released before a Palm tablet.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Also... i believe it does have a mic. and as far as simple drawings... there's an app for that
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=donm527;2182706][url= from the Apple 'latest creation' event -- Engadget[/url]

scroll halfway down and it says...

10:30AM "What is the battery life like? We've been able to achieve 10 hours of battery life. I can take a flight from San Francisco to Tokyo and watch video the whole time. And it has over a month of standby time."

[IMG]

I was talking about the slate PCs having 2 hour battery life, or so
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    hmm... you make me wonder how sensitive this touch screen is... i mean make an app to bring up a note pad and use a stylus to write and you would have a tablet. expand on the app to do handwriting recognition and would be cool. dragon app can already take voice dictation. The possibility of what can be made with apps is wide open.

gaming would be tough too as mentioned... but you saw the stand? opens up possibilities.... you have bluetooth so maybe bluetooth controllers will be developed... yes a lot to lug around but just tossing an idea.
    Basically they have the wrong screen implemented

Capacitive touch screens are not great at super precise point and click from what I know of. What you really want to do is get in touch with the Wacom people and get their tech for using a stylus. It is second to none. And in fact they have Wacom tablets that integrate a screen.

Make a 10" portable version of that with a capacitive touch screen on top that is running Win 7 premium and I think I would be sold. That I could use. Put a kick stand on the back and a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and I would be perfectly happy. Hell, make it 13".

I would probably buy that. Even if it cost more. The blend of touch and stylus is what I want in a tablet PC.
    Last edited by Complex Pants; 01/27/2010 at 04:28 PM.

my bad... Thought you were asking about the ipad

[QUOTE=rashad1;2182833]
    [url= from the Apple 'latest creation' event -- Engadget[/url]

scroll halfway down and it says...

10:30AM "What is the battery life like? We've been able to achieve 10 hours of battery life. I can take a flight from San Francisco to Tokyo and watch video the whole time. And it has over a month of standby time."

[IMG]

I was talking about the slate PCs having 2 hour battery life, or so
    .. but you saw the stand? opens up possibilities.... you have bluetooth so maybe bluetooth controllers will be developed... yes a lot to lug around but just tossing an idea.
    Really? You gonna drag a controller, stand and the Pad with you to the airport going through the tedious TSA checks so that you can play while you wait for your flight? What, you gonna connect the controller at home? If you do that, you don't have a PS3 or 360 that you game on? If you do, why are you playing games on the Pad at home with a controller? I just don't see it.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Basically they have the wrong screen implemented

Capacitive touch screens are not great at super precise point and click from what I know of. What you really want to do is get in touch with the Wacom people and get their tech for using a stylus. It is second to none. And in fact they have Wacom tablets that integrate a screen.

Make a 10" portable version of that with a capacitive touch screen on top that is running Win 7 premium and I think I would be sold. That I could use. Put a kick stand on the back and a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and I would be perfectly happy. Hell, make it 13".

I would probably buy that. Even if it cost more. The blend of touch and stylus is what I want in a tablet PC.
    I want this but smaller and more portable, but with a capacitive touch screen ontop of it.

9.    #129  
    So is there a chance the C40 will be the competition???
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Really? You gonna drag a controller, stand and the Pad with you to the airport going through the tedious TSA checks so that you can play while you wait for your flight? What, you gonna connect the controller at home? If you do that, you don't have a PS3 or 360 that you game on? If you do, why are you playing games on the Pad at home with a controller? I just don't see it.
    You gonna lug a mouse with you to play on your lappy or you going to use your touchpad? Same concept, you guys are just fishing for reasons to down this new product. Aside from a few in this topic, none of you have had an objective view of the new iPad.
  11.    #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    You gonna lug a mouse with you to play on your lappy or you going to use your touchpad? Same concept, you guys are just fishing for reasons to down this new product. Aside from a few in this topic, none of you have had an objective view of the new iPad.
    Agreed
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Maybe Jobs should have named this "Lisa 2"? Not hoping it flops, but I'm a PC/Palm guy...

Nice step in the right direction IMHO, but still a lot of work to do with it. Agree with others I do that we should look for Iphone 4.0 to possibly change this.
    I only mentioned controller and stand b/c it seemed as though Dom was digging using a controller while playing games on the Pad.

However, I've been objective about the Pad. I just don't see where it does things in a more magical and revolutionary manner when compared to lappers. If someone doesn't have a lapper, then I could see someone looking at the Pad as a viable alternative. However, you'll be paying more in comparison to what you get on similar devices.
    I carry around a mouse with my laptop at all times. Sometimes a track pad doesn't cut it and you need a mouse. I don't see a problem with this at all. Laptop mice are pretty small these days.

Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    I only mentioned controller and stand b/c it seemed as though Dom was digging using a controller while playing games on the Pad.

However, I've been objective about the Pad. I just don't see where it does things in a more magical and revolutionary manner when compared to lappers. If someone doesn't have a lapper, then I could see someone looking at the Pad as a viable alternative. However, you'll be paying more in comparison to what you get on similar devices.
    What about those that don't own an iPhone or iPod.. like myself? I have a MacBook Pro and a Pre/Hero (I develop for both WebOS and Android which is why I have both..) but I would I love having a device that fills my desires that fall in between those two categories, which this does.

I don't want to pull out my laptop which only gets 4.. 5 hours tops of battery life to watch a movie on a long flight and aside from battery life a laptop is very awkward to hold and watch for long periods of time anywhere. Netbook? Small yes, but still awkward because of it's design.

A slim and sleek single piece of hardware is great for such situations.

The only few downfalls I find with it are software related and can be resolved in future updates (like multitasking for example, which I full-heartedly believe will come in OS4).

I don't have the need for a netbook, I have my laptop which serves the same exact purpose; granted it may not be as light but then again, what would be the point of owning a laptop if I owned a netbook? None that I can find.

Not to mention the 140k apps that will work with this device -- you can't deny that iTunes is full of wonderful games and applications that serve almost every possible need.

Just my $0.02.
    what a fail!

I was hoping to like this new device as I have been thinking about a tablet PC recently after playing around with one a couple months back and being very amused by it and interested in it.

I am not a fan of the iphone due to its size and closed environment, but I do respect apple computers and so i thought they could create a killer tablet as others have failed to create a tablet pc that garners attention.

So i was hoping for some interesting news today, but instead, it was a pretty disappointing unveiling.

The lack of multitasking, and USB ports really completely make this product unacceptable. Besides that, the lack of a camera, no flash (really!?).

It just makes me think that apple is leaving out several features just to come out with second generation products in the upcoming months/years and have consumers update and spend another wad of cash just to have one or two new features that should have been there on the first place.

Of course, apple hipsters are going to drool and take whatever gimped shiny product apple throws at them, but im glad to see theres a consensus that this iPad in particular is coming up WAY short of people's expectations.

Nothing "magical and revolutionary" about it, steve jobs is tripping!

now about that microsoft courier....
    I think it's the folks that are excited that don't have the objective view. I was driving to work this morning thinking that this just might be the product that brings me back to Apple but, after seeing what it does, it's just a big iPod Touch.

It doesn't appear to do anything better (except maybe read books, which I ain't gonna do on any LCD screen) than my Dell Mini 10 that costs me less money. And the Mini is an actual computer, with storage and a multitasking OS that does more stuff.

I can see where people might like this, but if HP had introduced this EXACT SAME product today, it would just be a blip, not a "game changer".
    What about those that don't own an iPhone or iPod.. like myself? I have a MacBook Pro and a Pre/Hero (I develop for both WebOS and Android which is why I have both..) but I would I love having a device that fills my desires that fall in between those two categories, which this does.

I don't want to pull out my laptop which only gets 4.. 5 hours tops of battery life to watch a movie on a long flight and aside from battery life a laptop is very awkward to hold and watch for long periods of time anywhere. Netbook? Small yes, but still awkward because of it's design.

The only few downfalls I find with it are software related and can be resolved in future updates (like multitasking for example, which I full-heartedly believe will come in OS4).

I don't have the need for a netbook, I have my laptop which serves the same exact purpose; granted it may not be as light but then again, what would be the point of owning a laptop if I owned a netbook? None that I can find.

Not to mention the 140k apps that will work with this device -- you can't deny that iTunes is full of wonderful games and applications that serve almost every possible need.

Just my $0.02.
    Most of those wonderful apps aren't needed on a netbook or laptop though. Even the ipad's screen size makes safari more desirable and lessens the need for many apps. What makes sense on a 3.5" screen may not translate well..

Besides, on a netbook/laptop, you've got many more windows apps to choose from.

I wouldn't mind owning an ipad. Looks cool. But a replacement for a netbook or better? No way... Could replace my kindle..maybe..would have to try reading it awhile. But would have more features than a kindle to compensate.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    I think it's the folks that are excited that don't have the objective view. I was driving to work this morning thinking that this just might be the product that brings me back to Apple but, after seeing what it does, it's just a big iPod Touch.

It doesn't appear to do anything better (except maybe read books, which I ain't gonna do on any LCD screen) than my Dell Mini 10 that costs me less money. And the Mini is an actual computer, with storage and a multitasking OS that does more stuff.

I can see where people might like this, but if HP had introduced this EXACT SAME product today, it would just be a blip, not a "game changer".
    All valid points, but are those that that buy an iPad looking to buy another "computer" or a device that serves a market between computers and mobile smartphones?

If you have Macbook or any kind of capable lapper, why would one get the Pad? I don't even think that it has an internet browser. If you need a e-book reader then I can see someone getting the Pad b/c it offers more than the Kindle or Nook.
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast