Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 05typesdc5 View Post
    lets make a checklist:

1. i can access itunes from my laptop
    2. i can listen to music from my laptop
    3. i can access google earth from my laptop
    4. i can see full webpages from my laptop
    5. i can multitask on my laptop (ipad can't)
    6. i can use camera on my laptop ( ipad can't)
    7. i can have 300+gb on my laptop (ipad 64gb max)
    8. i can edit and view photos on my laptop

Stuff i can't do:
    1. multitouch
    My laptop has multitouch. Of course it cost more than the iPad....
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    Multitasking hasn't been announced yet, I still am iffy about this "iPad"...the bezel kills me

Gizmodo has a negative article about the iPad

And they agree with me about the bezel, it takes way from the beauty.

read it here: http://i.gizmodo.com/5458382/8-thing...about-the-ipad
  3.    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It's just an ipod touch with 10" screen. Ebooks? My iphone has ebook apps.

However, it starts at 499. Starts. That's pricey for an ipod touch and that's all this is.

Besides, it'll eat at their existing ipod touch market.
    Maybe, but it will also draw a bigger appeal to the Kindle folks too. I can read books on my pre too, but the screen is too small.
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    Hp mini 311 for $399

1.6ghz processor
    160gb sata drive
    1080p playback
    Built-in camera

and i still have enough money to buy a 4g sprin network card.

so what can you compare it to, well i guess a cheap laptop can do everything but touchscreen/multitouch.....

who wants to pay $500 for something that does less?

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    Maybe, but it will also draw a bigger appeal to the Kindle folks too. I can read books on my pre too, but the screen is too small.
    Welp, what happens after all 100 kindle owners switch to this ipod plus? :P

Which is to say, that's not a very large market and it has more players in it now.

But you got the 3 different ipod touches. It's 6 versions now is all. If it kills anything it won't be the Kindle, but the ipod.
    link please
    Live from the Apple 'latest creation' event -- Engadget

scroll halfway down and it says...

10:30AM "What is the battery life like? We've been able to achieve 10 hours of battery life. I can take a flight from San Francisco to Tokyo and watch video the whole time. And it has over a month of standby time."

Welp, what happens after all 100 kindle owners switch to this

You may wanna check your numbers to Amazon's actual sales figures. Just sayin'.
  8.    #108  

Which is to say, that's not a very large market and it has more players in it now.

But you got the 3 different ipod touches. It's 6 versions now is all. If it kills anything it won't be the Kindle, but the ipod.
    How the Apple Ipad could kill the Kindle
    How the Apple iPad Could Kill the Kindle - Columns by PC Magazine
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    Just asking. Don't Flame me!!!

Ipad looks pretty cool though.
    Thats will be very big mistake. I think Palm Pre with mobile hotspot and iPad are ideal gadgets. I will get one soon.

I'm apple addict but when I see Palm Pre I quickly sold my iPhone 3Gs and took palm. I'm happy with Pre and not looking back or even missing iPhone.

Someday Palm will also release Palm Pad but not right now.
    LOL, I love some people and the tags they applied to this thread. I'm a Palm/Sprint guy with 3 pre's and looking for two more. I was just watching the apple presentation and I thought the device looks pretty cool. It's not much bigger than my wife's Kindle, smaller than a laptop and has 3G coverage. I was just asking a question and this thread gets tagged as apple sucks/apple troll... Too funny!
    +1

Absolutely agree!
    Quote Originally Posted by iverieli View Post
    +1

Absolutely agree!
    check it again

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Gizmodo has a negative article about the iPad

And they agree with me about the bezel, it takes way from the beauty.

read it here: 8 Things That Suck About the iPad - apple ipad - Gizmodo
    all valid points... and no USB port?! for $500, no thank you.
    will use the excuse everyone else does... 'It's first gen'

meaning it's a new product and IMO with the app and support and integration with iTunes and cheap 3G data plan is a good start.

i am disappointed in lack of multitasking and stuff. but you know how they are with software upgrades... will always improve on it.

but could definitely find a niche... people have DS and netbook and laptop and desktops and find a use for each.

for me i think it will be a very good nightstand unit or coffee table for quick email, browsing and running some apps as well as my daughter already using my phone for apps she can run them on a bigger screen. can take it out and use it kinda like a net book too now and then

it will be interesting.

14.    #114  
    I agree with Deiter on this one, a Palm Tablet with mobile hotspot is a winner. Plus if they use 4G! I like it.
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I am not sure what the fuss about this not magical not so original product.
    Ok, so before I get back to studying, I am going to share my thoughts. I am probably going to echo many on here, but I am gonna post anyway

So, this is not a tablet computer. This is not a communication device. This iPad is Apple's attempt to get in on the eReader business. Now, it is a fine thing to get in on the reader business, but video games and reading don't always go together. So including all these extra iphone apps on there seems really dumb. Also considering they are going to look very pixelated at the higher res.

Lets talk more about the game thing more. On a touch based device you need to put controls all over the screen, I get this. It isn't ideal, but it works considering the phone is designed to be held comfortably. How are you supposed to hold the iPad to use controls like those in NOVA or Assassin's Creed? On your lap? Seriously? I seriously predict only racing games will do well on this platform.

However, what really bothers me about all of this is, this isn't a tablet! The concept of a tablet is being able to write on your computer with a stylus all in a full fledged OS. iPad lacks all of this. You cannot use it to take notes in class or in a meeting. You cannot do very simple drawings to explain things to clients. You cannot have it interpret your handwriting into text. Does it even have a mic? I don't think you could even use it as a voice recorder. If this had a forward facing webcam and a mic, I would consider this as a skyping tool. But no.

I also have a lot of questions about why Apple decided to make their own chips again. The design of this chip probably jacked up the cost of R&D, which it turns means less features on the final product. I am sure there were other options of what they could have done. I mean a 1GHZ processor? Seriously?

This whole device reeks of failure. Not just for the iPad itself, but for the iPhone too. With no multitasking on this device, which appears to be substantially faster than the iPhone 3GS, I think there is little chance we will see it on the iPhone 3GS, but Apple is a large company and they might be able to pull it off in iPhone OS 4.0. In addition, it appears that Apple and AT&T are still bed-fellows, which I am sure every iPhone user out there is loving. To me this lowers the chance that the iPhone will leave AT&T this year.

What does all this mean for Palm? Well I think it means that Palm has a huge opportunity. If they can smooth out their OS a bit, get that PDK available to the masses and release a new device with good build quality (potentially a larger screen with both VKeyboard and a physical keyboard), then Palm will start to steal customers from Apple for both quality of product and service reasons.

This is the first time Apple has released something that seems truly out of place in a long time. Perhaps this is a sign of things to come for the company. Perhaps their cool image is wanning. Sorry for the novel.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    will use the excuse everyone else does... 'It's first gen'

meaning it's a new product and IMO with the app and support and integration with iTunes and cheap 3G data plan is a good start.

i am disappointed in lack of multitasking and stuff. but you know how they are with software upgrades... will always improve on it.

but could definitely find a niche... people have DS and netbook and laptop and desktops and find a use for each.

for me i think it will be a very good nightstand unit or coffee table for quick email, browsing and running some apps as well as my daughter already using my phone for apps she can run them on a bigger screen. can take it out and use it kinda like a net book too now and then

it will be interesting.
    I'm sure it will do fine. Just saying it'll eat into ipod sales is all because that's what this is after all.

My daughter would probably love it as well if its not too big for her to hold for long.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I am not sure what the fuss about this not magical not so original product.
    sounds familiar... didnt people say stuff like that about the iphone originally?
  19.    #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    What does all this mean for Palm? Well I think it means that Palm has a huge opportunity. If they can smooth out their OS a bit, get that PDK available to the masses and release a new device with good build quality (potentially a larger screen with both VKeyboard and a physical keyboard), then Palm will start to steal customers from Apple for both quality of product and service reasons.
    I hope you're right about that.
  20.    #120  
    Did anyone see Gamelofts presentation on the Ipad? I'm hoping we can get some of those things over to Palm.