Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1924252627282930 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    thats not flash.
    never said it was.
    This looks pretty nice. Couldn't do it right on a small smartphone screen..........

Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    Doubt it. Most likely it will be called the Iphone 3GSM and you will have to shell out another $500+. This IS Apple we are talking about.
    well even still, I just think apple will, (as they always do) go back on there initiall assesments from prior years (like steve saying nobody reads) and now will say with our more powerful hardware and advanced chip design bla blah blah

multitasking! as only apple can! we had great success with album view, and....
    others have even taken a "card" from our playbook (shows palm) but we think we have the best interface for browsing through applications already, shows album view)

anyway it seems like such a simple thing to do for apple, and such a win win, as
    1) they can claim they have already come up with a UI similar to cards, before cards were around
    2) get a buttload of press and retracted statments from the gadget press when they announce multitasking

3) put out another phone that has perhaps dual core processing (ala a4 chip) and say hey, we can do this even better with true multi tasking on multiple cores and still save battery....

Honestly, I hope they do, because it will help drive the industry forward, and i want more ability, more choices, and better products.

I don't want any apple devices personally, i just want them to push that envelope so others have to compete. I would rather have a courier style interface with the much larger and more robust app catalog available for windows, not to mention compatibility.
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    does anyone else think that the Ipad and iphone will multitask (well just the newer iphones, not first gen) come the next OS update 4.0? I mean, that usually reveales in march right? and launches in june.
    At this point, I seriously doubt it. Multitasking is a pretty fundamental feature to add to a software update to a device launched just a few months prior.

Here's my thinking. Jobs went on stage with a brand new device and showed it off, without multitasking. News/gadget sites RAIL on it for weeks because, in part, due to a lack of multitasking.

Then, lets say theoretically, Apple drops out a new iPhone that has multitasking. You don't just crap out something like that on the weekend, so Apple had to have known about it and been using it internally for months. But what about the iPad? They pushed it out without a fundamental feature just to not give hints at iPhone OS 4.0? They were willing to take the tons of bad press just to hide a future update?

Steve standing on stage showing off a new device that uses the same OS as the iPhone speaks volumes of what to expect out of the next iPhone. Multitasking still isn't in Apple's future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    but, but, but only Palm would release a product with updates in mind. Apple would NEVER do such a thing.
    I BET they have...hence no camera...why? so Jobs can sell you your second iPad that now has a camera and video iChat....then a third iPad Pro version later down the line with a faster cpu and more memory.

the iPod has reached a saturation point and Apple needs another device to keep the iTunes ecosystem rolling...the iPad is the new iPod.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    I BET they have...hence no camera...why? so Jobs can sell you your second iPad that now has a camera and video iChat....then a third iPad Pro version later down the line with a faster cpu and more memory.

the iPod has reached a saturation point and Apple needs another device to keep the iTunes ecosystem rolling...the iPad is the new iPod.
    Damn couldn't have said it any better.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    Damn couldn't have said it any better.
    +1

add flash to the second iPad
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    +1

add flash to the second iPad
    The phone in your avatar looks awesome!
    If they add flash it's fine as long as they also add clicktoflash so I don't need to see any flash ads.
    im curious... slingbox anyone?

thank you mytether
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by digink View Post
    The phone in your avatar looks awesome!
    Yup , that would be the iPhone form factor with BB keys on webOS.
    I wish PALM will do phone with a 3.5 inch glass screen with full qwerty. May be that's their next phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Don't forget with way more bezel, no multitasking, and yet another monthly bill for 3G data on the nation's most hurting 3G network.

Apple seems like they really swung and missed with this one.

I held it. The bezel is fine. If the bezel was any smaller, you fingers be putting pressure on the touch screen when holding it, and it would register as a touch. Believe me, when you have it in your hand the bezel will not be an issue.

I too dont want another monthly fee. This is why I am getting the WiFi only version.

If by swing and miss, you mean another multi million selling device. Then we agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    This looks pretty nice. Couldn't do it right on a small smartphone screen..........

I think It could be done on the right smarphone, heck, if you used the HD2 you would probably have the resolution to read the (tiny) text it would have.

but it wouldn't be as comfortable.

for me the more pressing question is, why would i want this instead of my wonderful net-book?

my net-book certainly can do that, and it can run multiple tasks, and flash, and well alot. it is under 2lb and under 1 inch thick, putting it in the same, cannot-put-it-in-my-pocket size class. plus my netbook has USB and standard peripherals, like a camera for video chat. I get 6 hours out of my extended battery which is not a big clunker by any means.

I am alot more interested in the U1 and other tablet/netbook hybrids that are coming in for the same price, but have, you know, an actual computer, and way more applications, than a giant iTouch.

the case has not been made why i would need this device, at least not yet.
    Last edited by windzilla; 01/31/2010 at 09:50 AM.
    There are four lights.
    I think It could be done on the right smarphone, heck, if you used the HD2 you would probably have the resolution to read the (tiny) text it would have.

but it wouldn't be as comfortable.

for me the more pressing question is, why would i want this instead of my wonderful net-book?

my net-book certainly can do that, and it can run multiple tasks, and flash, and well alot. it is under 2lb and under 1 inch thick, putting it in the same, cannot-put-it-in-my-pocket size class. plus my netbook has USB and standard peripherals, like a camera for video chat. I get 6 hours out of my extended battery which is not a big clunker by any means.

I am alot more interested in the U1 and other tablet/netbook hybrids that are coming in for the same price, but have, you know, an actual computer, and way more applications, than a giant iTouch.

the case has not been made why i would need this device, at least not yet.
    Does the times make a Windows app? Im actually not sure, they might. There are features to this that their website does not have.

Also, reading something like this in portrait would be a lot better than in landscape. You going to hold you netbook on its side? If you did, would the picture rotate?
    Does the times make a Windows app? Im actually not sure, they might. There are features to this that their website does not have.
    Yep, they make a great application via adobe Air. plus, i can get the flash content if i want it!

Also, reading something like this in portrait would be a lot better than in landscape. You going to hold you netbook on its side? If you did, would the picture rotate?
    again, yes, works wonderful, just rotate and hold it like you would a regular book, my netbook dosn't have an accelerometer, so i have to press CTL+ALT+arrow to rotate screen, but it works great.

with that, i see no need for the tablet as it stands.

and with things like the t91MT out there, and others coming along, like the HP slate, apple will need allot more than just an app that is already available on my net-book to get me to cough up that cash.
    Last edited by windzilla; 01/31/2010 at 03:58 PM.
    There are four lights.
    is there any hardware out there like the HD2 with a keyboard? Specifically, I want a 4.3 in screen.
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    Quote Originally Posted by japomani View Post
    is there any hardware out there like the HD2 with a keyboard? Specifically, I want a 4.3 in screen.
    samsung mondi?

i have the n810 which is a little over 4.1 inches diagonal, but its a last gen device (n900 being the current gen) and so kinda slow. web browsing can be great though, and the resolution is wonderful, just kinda janky over all.

and in the future perhaps the K01
    Last edited by windzilla; 01/31/2010 at 05:18 PM.
    There are four lights.
    Yep, they make a great application via adobe Air. plus, i can get the flash content if i want it!

again, yes, works wonderful, just rotate and hold it like you would a regular book, my netbook dosn't have an accelerometer, so i have to press CTL+ALT+arrow to rotate screen, but it works great.

with that, i see no need for the tablet as it stands.

and with things like the t91MT out there, and others coming along, like the HP slate, apple will need allot more than just an app that is already available on my net-book to get me to cough up that cash.
    Well, if your happy with you netbook experience, then you shouldnt buy it. I have a netbook that I dislike.

1. I have absolutely no desire on holding a netbook on its side to read an ebook.

2. My netbook has a crappy display.

3. I need to boot up my netbook each time I want to use it. Coming out of sleep mode causes my netbook nothing but problems.

(Your netbook experience might be better than mine, but I will never buy another netbook).

As for the HP Slate, I have no desire to use a desktop OS on a touch device (whether its Windows or OSX). Neither the OS or the apps that it runs are designed for a touch interface. Also, on the Slate, I really have no desire to run an antivirus and spyware program on my tablet.
    Well, if your happy with you netbook experience, then you shouldnt buy it. I have a netbook that I dislike.

1. I have absolutely no desire on holding a netbook on its side to read an ebook.

2. My netbook has a crappy display.

3. I need to boot up my netbook each time I want to use it. Coming out of sleep mode causes my netbook nothing but problems.

(Your netbook experience might be better than mine, but I will never buy another netbook).

As for the HP Slate, I have no desire to use a desktop OS on a touch device (whether its Windows or OSX). Neither the OS or the apps that it runs are designed for a touch interface. Also, on the Slate, I really have no desire to run an antivirus and spyware program on my tablet.
    Definately feel you on the coming out of sleep thing. My netbook works great (thank god) but my old XP based HP laptop was a nightmare.

perhaps it is because i am using an SSD based netbook? not really sure.

I haven't used a multi-touch tablet running windows7 but my impression was that 7 was designed with multi-touch in mind, and a UI for that? the slate looks pretty touch friendly

I personally haven't had a virus for years, and I don't use an antivirus program. I think its because I am vigilant about what i install and how i use it.
    to that end, the iphone would be no different for me what with viruses on it, whats to say that the ipad wouldn't be affected by a virus for users that install things not pre-ordained by apple?
    Malicious iPhone Virus Takes Control of Your Phone - Tom's Hardware

it may be limited in scope, but iphone viruses exist, and are probably going to increase in number as the number of users also increase.
    There are four lights.
    Definately feel you on the coming out of sleep thing. My netbook works great (thank god) but my old XP based HP laptop was a nightmare.

perhaps it is because i am using an SSD based netbook? not really sure.

I haven't used a multi-touch tablet running windows7 but my impression was that 7 was designed with multi-touch in mind, and a UI for that? the slate looks pretty touch friendly

I personally haven't had a virus for years, and I don't use an antivirus program. I think its because I am vigilant about what i install and how i use it.
    to that end, the iphone would be no different for me what with viruses on it, whats to say that the ipad wouldn't be affected by a virus for users that install things not pre-ordained by apple?
    Malicious iPhone Virus Takes Control of Your Phone - Tom's Hardware

it may be limited in scope, but iphone viruses exist, and are probably going to increase in number as the number of users also increase.
    Can you supply a link detailing anybody ever suffering a virus on their iPhone? (non-jailbroken)

Maybe Windows 7 can have some multitouch elements, but the OS and almost every Windows 7 app was designed to use a mouse. Clicking on the little "X" on a window to close an app with my finger does not sound like fun. (Check how small that button is on your netbook)

Trying to use outlook with only my finger would probably be a nightmare.

There is no way I would ever run a Windows machine without a serious antivirus program.
    Last edited by mobileman; 01/31/2010 at 05:53 PM.