Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182324252627282930 LastLast
    You know, I think Apple makes good products, but at the end of the day, they are just computers and gadgets. I want to know how and when Apple became demi gods? People so vehemently defend everything they do as genius or near genius. And if we can't figure out the purpose of it, then we are stupid, and should buy it anyway....

I had to prove to my friend today that my Pre loads webpages faster than his 1st Gen iPod touch with iPhone OS 3.0. Sigh...
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    People so vehemently defend everything they do as genius or near genius. And if we can't figure out the purpose of it, then we are stupid, and should buy it anyway....
    duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh, the employees ARE geniuses! it says so on the job description.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh, the employees ARE geniuses! it says so on the job description.
    Seriously, I feel honored to meet a genius everytime I step up to the "genius bar" at an apple store.
    Quote Originally Posted by zullnero View Post
    Ha, Reubens probably needed drug money again. Someone at Apple is funding the man's habit.
    You think Rueuben and Rubenstein might be related?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    you think rueuben and rubenstein might be related?
    thats racist!!!!
    The iPad is a Comedy Gold Mine - CollegeHumor video

and the original video

lol sites are on a roll today with these videos.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    After 500 posts later ,I know what this thing is
    This is nothing but an ebook / e-reader that can half browse the internet.
    I think Steve J didn't want to market this as an e-reader or ebook simply because the issue of eink would be raised by everyone from cnet to cnn. So they tried to spin this as a magical internet device.

That's it ladies and gentlemen, its an ebook based on iPod Touch for folks who needed bigger screen.

PALM can do a similar one. If they really want to be in the game , they should partner with Amazon. A new C40 with Wimax / e ink, multitasking, cards and physical keyboard would practically kill many devices.

Can't really do that with e-ink right now (not at an affordable price). Still things are really coming along with Pixel Qi technology and other reflective/transflective LCD screens (which can be as good as the first gen kindle in readability, but not as good as the latest and greatest in e-ink). The good news is that pixel qi tech should be able to scale to pretty much any size for not that much money (it can be manufactured with regular LCD equipment) which means it'd be possible to make one much closer to 8X11", in other words you could have an e-reader that was actually about the same size as a sheet of paper, for probably around $700 (assuming it has a mobile/netbook processor). Why Apple didn't go with a Pixel Qi screen I have no idea (it's not quite as good at color rendition, but is possible to have a matte finish/is great in the sun/is easier to read on/is easier on battery life).

Not sure if a physical keyboard would be the best idea. One reason the kindle doesn't have one is that the e-ink it uses has such a slow response time it would be very difficult to give good visual feedback with an onscreen keyboard. It's probably be better to drop the keyboard/increase screen size if one were to use a display with an adequate refresh rate.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Palm could do a different form factor for phones but it would be a mistake to get into the tablet market now. Palm doesn't have influence with old media, new media; that takes real large players like apple, amazon.
    Quote Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
    Palm could do a different form factor for phones but it would be a mistake to get into the tablet market now. Palm doesn't have influence with old media, new media; that takes real large players like apple, amazon.

Yes and no. I still think there is a huge market for a larger screen e-reader that can handle 8.5X11" pdfs at a near native size (obviously HD screens aren't quite the same aspect ratios as a sheet of paper). So basically one with a 13" HD format LCD (will display a piece of paper sans a bit of the margins on the sides). Any academic would kill for one, and it would likely see usage in the business realm (the Plastique logic Que comes to mind, but that is overly expensive/runs windows CE, yuck). At this stage you couldn't create an affordable one with traditional e-ink (again look at the plastique logic que) plus you would be limited to black and white (color e-ink is really really expensive), but could easily create one with a Pixel Qi screen and have it have all the capabilities of the iPad in a much more readable and usable form (assuming it ran WebOS or android).

Someone will do this, and provided it has a descent UI and isn't too thick/heavy, it should sell quite well.
    Last edited by thehomelessguy; 01/29/2010 at 08:59 PM.
    Oh to see what I'm talking about with Pixel Qi, view this video. Basically it will soon be possible to have LCD w/touchscreens that can operate without their backlight on and are easily readable with reflected light (like e-ink)/can be used in the sun. The downside is a slight loss of color (more pronounced when the backlight is off) fidelity/brightness.

The tech is scalable from something the size of a palm pre (imagine a pre in which you didn't need the backlight on to use it and what that would mean for battery life) to an HDTV (the company plans on developing a 10W non-backlit TV for developing areas, usual HDTVs use 100+ watts).

Notion Ink (an Indian tech startup) is making a Pixel Qi based pad that seems to "borrow" a lot of design cues from WebOS (it uses android). For example it appears to handle multitasking in a very cards-like way. Not that that is terrible. It's good to know that if palm doesn't release a full-featured multi-tasking tablet, someone else will.

There area also other companies developing transreflective/reflective screens that can be manufactured using traditional LCD processes so expect to see more of this real soon, better battery life on our devices, and less strain on our eyes.
    Last edited by thehomelessguy; 01/29/2010 at 09:11 PM.
    ok... this is when the ipad reaches it lowest point among popularity that pee wee herman, yes... pee wee herman gets an ipad. look at what he says

Pee-wee Gets An iPad! from Pee-wee Herman and Eric Appel - Video

thank you mytether
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanlc2005 View Post
    ok... this is when the ipad reaches it lowest point among popularity that pee wee herman, yes... pee wee herman gets an ipad. look at what he says

Pee-wee Gets An iPad! from Pee-wee Herman and Eric Appel - Video
    Sorry I can't watch this on my iPad. I am seeing a blue square box.
    it's not funny. you're not missing anything.
    hah
    http://theflashblog.com/?p=1703#comment-640520

Looks pretty nice to me.........

does anyone else think that the Ipad and iphone will multitask (well just the newer iphones, not first gen) come the next OS update 4.0? I mean, that usually reveales in march right? and launches in june.

I just think that the ipad hasn't hit yet, and, while this itteration is a snoozer to be sure, apple is unlikely to be releasing it on the current software alone.

I would immagine apple will implement that album view thing where you can scroll through album covers, as a way to manage the multi-tasking.

it could functionally be nearly identicle to the pre, but still alow apple to take credit for inventing it (from a UI standpoint)

anyway, without flash and the ability to work with some standard plugs (USB is a big one obviously) its not something i would take over my netbook. but i am not going to count them out of this one yet.

again, i predict the OS 4.0 will multi-task using the album view style of app management.
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Looks pretty nice to me.........

thats not flash.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    does anyone else think that
    but, but, but only Palm would release a product with updates in mind. Apple would NEVER do such a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    does anyone else think that the Ipad and iphone will multitask (well just the newer iphones, not first gen) come the next OS update 4.0? I mean, that usually reveales in march right? and launches in june.
    Doubt it. Most likely it will be called the Iphone 3GSM and you will have to shell out another $500+. This IS Apple we are talking about.