Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 141920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 480 of 595
  1. #461  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Make a phone call.... ooops. Never mind.

    Then I'd have to reach for my Palm Pre. That can do just about all of the other things listed above (I suspect spreadsheet and database is coming pretty soon)...
    really? reading ebooks, comic books, newspaper articles, magazines, watching video, editing spreadsheets is that great on a plastic 3.1 inch screen? Ofcourse not.
  2. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #462  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I for one don't ever video chat or really have a need for flash. Before GBP or hparsons attacks me (as they usually do), I admit this device may not be for everybody. However, I think plenty of people will like it.
    I am not attacking anyone , I am simply saying there are too many features missing in this tablet to justify the 500 dollar price for 16 Gig of space.
    I would be buying it for 250.00 but not for the 500.00 (hparsons is willing to pay 300 bucks is another story). Also we will see ( sure I know the analysts prediction) , how many of these gets sold and how satisfied folks will be.
  3. #463  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Unless I want to browse the web, read a color comic book, edit a spreadsheet, send an email, play a game, look at color pictures, watch a movie, edit a database, check my calendar, check my task list, check my Evernote Notes, use Instant Messenger, check twitter, talk to you on PreCentral, etc.

    can you see that?
    Yes, I can. But that's all stuff I can do on my netbook for less money.

    My point is any device like this is a huge compromise as an eReader. Like eating a salad with a spork. Even if it's running WebOS. You keep making like it's not, because you can't see past the Apple.
  4. #464  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    really? reading ebooks, comic books, newspaper articles, magazines, watching video, editing spreadsheets is that great on a plastic 3.1 inch screen? Ofcourse not.
    It's funny. Someone says that a Kindle is better than an LCD screen, and you say you have no problem. What about all of those that "have no problem" on a plastic 3.1 inch screen? For that matter, what's wrong with a plastic screen? I strongly suspect that LCD screen your reading this on is plastic.
  5. #465  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    It's funny. Someone says that a Kindle is better than an LCD screen, and you say you have no problem. What about all of those that "have no problem" on a plastic 3.1 inch screen? For that matter, what's wrong with a plastic screen? I strongly suspect that LCD screen your reading this on is plastic.
    because in my opinion, reading a ebook on a tiny screen is not nearly the experience as reading on a bigger screen. You might have a different opinion.

    Some people will say reading on an e-ink device is better than on a LCD screen. That opinion is fine, but its not my opinion.

    Reading ebooks on netbooks is not a good experience. I also don't want a device that just read ebooks and nothing else. Again, you may disagree.
    Last edited by mobileman; 01/29/2010 at 12:39 PM.
  6. #466  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Yes, I can. But that's all stuff I can do on my netbook for less money.

    My point is any device like this is a huge compromise as an eReader. Like eating a salad with a spork. Even if it's running WebOS. You keep making like it's not, because you can't see past the Apple.
    I disagree. I played around with the iBook app and I thought it was very nice.
  7. #467  
  8. #468  
    okay who put the Rashad 69's Steve Jobs tag in this thread? Thats clearly not true.....Right Rashad?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  9. #469  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post

    Some people will say reading on an e-ink device is better than on a LCD screen. That opinion is fine, but its not my opinion.
    i prefer the eink because when i read a book, it's usually at hours at a time. and that is real staring at the screen. when using a laptop or desktop or notebook for internet surfing or work or whatever else, it's not a constant staring and typewriter reading of text. there are a lot of unconscious breaks being taken.

    Reading ebooks on netbooks is not a good experience. I also don't want a device that juts read ebooks and nothing else. Again, you may disagree.
    im still of the opinion that we, as consumers, do NOT have an all-in-one replacement solution. too many devices make too many compromises to be the best at everything.

    i PERSONALLY, today, would still rather pay for the best of each device in it's respective category.
  10. #470  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    okay who put the Rashad 69's Steve Jobs tag in this thread? Thats clearly not true.....Right Rashad?
    haha, are the other two true?
  11. #471  
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    haha, are the other two true?
    I don't think so. I don't know him personally, but I am thinking we may need a bit of moderation with these tags.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  12. #472  
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    i prefer the eink because when i read a book, it's usually at hours at a time. and that is real staring at the screen. when using a laptop or desktop or notebook for internet surfing or work or whatever else, it's not a constant staring and typewriter reading of text. there are a lot of unconscious breaks being taken.


    im still of the opinion that we, as consumers, do NOT have an all-in-one replacement solution. too many devices make too many compromises to be the best at everything.

    i PERSONALLY, today, would still rather pay for the best of each device in it's respective category.
    I can fully understand your opinion. I just don't share it. I have read many novels on my iPhone Kindle App. I have absolutely no problems with it. Some might though and I fully understand that.
  13. #473  
    for those talking about using google voice on ipad that wont work because apple doesnt want a google voice app which is why they would have to use the site for text messages sure but for phone calls where would you route the call to on an ipad if the ipad doesnt have a phone number to forward to
  14. #474  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Are we trying to figure out what would happen if HP had licensed the iPhone OS from Apple, developed the iPad and introduced it at CES with the same specs? I probably would be pretty curious but not as immediately interested because HP makes iPaqs and Apple makes iPhones. One is faded away along with Palm Pilots, after a decade, and the other revolutionized mobile technology in two years.
    I'm trying to figure out how I can go stand up on a stage somewhere and get people to stop thinking for themselves and start throwing money at me for no good reason. Fully clothed.
  15. #475  
    This thread quickly degraded to an iPad discussion....

    I personally think the C40 will be a WebOS 4G device on Sprint. I can't wait! There is no reason Palm doesn't release a 4g device this summer or fall (as long as 4G doesn't hit battery life too hard). The technology is in place and the Pre needs to be replaced by something with better build quality, more storage & more memory by the end of the year. Throw in 4G on that device and it gives currnet Pre owners a reason to upgrade beyond just the evolutionary enhancements.
  16. #476  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    No, I'm not thinking it would be non-smartphone. Just be built more like a Droid ERIS. But that's just speculating. I think the more options they come out with the better.
    Sure the more options the better...but I don't think that Palm has the resources (manpower and financial) to provide them.

    If they were to do a slate, it would have to be evolutionary compared to the iPad. Something like on the grounds of the Folio concept where when in the vicinity of your Pre or Pixi, it assumes it's identity and capabilities on top of being an eReader, light computing device and media player.

    Palm already has a partnership with Amazon to deliver content and this would further help strengthen the Kindle, MP3 and Video stores to compete with iTunes.

    Secondly, I could see someone like IBM and Cisco wanting to get involved to make a webOS slate and smartphone enterprise-centric...think of a slate that can interface with Cisco's telepresence initiative. It would go against Palm's "fat-middle' market but enterprise could help drive this market. What market did smartphones come from after all?
  17. rashad1's Avatar
    Posts
    520 Posts
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    #477  
    Bar of soap:



    Palm Pre

    Last edited by rashad1; 01/29/2010 at 01:26 PM.
  18. #478  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Sure the more options the better...but I don't thisnk that Palm has the resourses (manpower and financial) to provide these options.

    If they were to do a slate, it would have to be evelotionary compared to the iPad. Soemthing like on the grounds of the Folio concept where when in the vicinity of your Pre or Pixi, it assumes it's identity and capabilitie on top of being an eReader, light computing device and media player.

    Palm already has a partnership with Amazon to deliver content and this would further help stengthen the Kindle, MP3 and Video stores to compete with iTunes.

    Secondly, I could see someone like IBM and Cisco wanting to get involvled to make a webOS slate and smartphone enterprise-centric...think of a slate that can interface with Cisco's telepresence initative. It would go against Palm's "fat-middle' market but enterprise could help drive this market. What market did smartphones come from after all?
    Iphone market?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  19. #479  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how I can go stand up on a stage somewhere and get people to stop thinking for themselves and start throwing money at me for no good reason. Fully clothed.
    Oh, that's just your opinion. I'm sure there are many folks out there who paid big $$$ to fly out there and listen to the presentation, get to see "da man" in person, touch the device for a few seconds, and then contemplate all the way home whether or not they can afford to buy one...
    Somewhere....
    Surely.
  20. #480  
    Quote Originally Posted by aewilliams View Post
    This thread quickly degraded to an iPad discussion....

    I personally think the C40 will be a WebOS 4G device on Sprint. I can't wait! There is no reason Palm doesn't release a 4g device this summer or fall (as long as 4G doesn't hit battery life too hard). The technology is in place and the Pre needs to be replaced by something with better build quality, more storage & more memory by the end of the year. Throw in 4G on that device and it gives currnet Pre owners a reason to upgrade beyond just the evolutionary enhancements.
    The loose rumor I read in some thread was that C40 was a bigger Pre-like device. I assume that this is a 4G device and the larger size is probably being driven by the size of battery.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions