Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 121718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    I think someone responding to my post saying "their brain hasn't been programmed by Apple yet" is indeed a personal attack. I never said my brain hasn't been programmed by Palm yet. It also implies that I can't think for myself.
    If you go to about any page in this thread you will see a similar post, I just made a slightly exaggerated example.
    Are you reall that "me centered" that you don't see it??? He exaggerated. You exaggerated. "Personal attacks" most certainly can be implied, but what both of you did was exactly the same thing. He implied you were programmed. You implied he (and others) was a non-thinking fanperson.

Grow some thicker skin. Seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    This is an interesting question. Perhaps the iPad doesn't extend any electronic device, rather, it extends the paper pad, an already successful concept I think you would agree. Not just the paper pad but any stack of papers which can include a clipboard, a book, a magazine, newspaper, comic book, spiral notebook, 3-ring binder, portfolio, photo album, sheet music, etc.

Thus far, making it a full computer hasn't panned out (tablets). Making it black and white has been moderately successful (e-readers). This is just another attempt. I'm thinking that making it thinner and lighter and more interactive is more compelling than making it more computer-like. Tablets have failed not because they didn't have enough computer features but because they had too many computer features.
    Well, honestly, any tablet is an extension of the clipboard/book/(various thing with paper). Its the entire point of the platform.

The thing that gets me is this isn't the first tablet that tries not to be a computer. The Apple Newton MessagePad 2100 works very much like a digital clipboard/book/(various thing with paper). The software is pretty slick, and fits the paradigm. It's stylus-based, so one-handed text input is actually natural (unlike the iPad where you have to set it down to do any decent typing). Take a look at this video for a feature overview:

The problem with the MessagePad was it released in 1997 when the hardware just wasn't good enough. If the iPad was a hardware/software refresh of the MessagePad, then I could see it being an extension of the tablet concept. Instead, the iPad is ... an over-sized iPod Touch. Where that fits in The World of Devices I Need, I do not know.

For a modern view of a notebook-like tablet (or at least a work-oriented one), take a look at the Microsoft Courier:
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    i was a little bored and was wondering what a WebOS tablet might look like...

Last edited by mkv_wolf; 01/29/2010 at 01:31 AM. Reason: link
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    This is an interesting question. Perhaps the iPad doesn't extend any electronic device, rather, it extends the paper pad, an already successful concept I think you would agree. Not just the paper pad but any stack of papers which can include a clipboard, a book, a magazine, newspaper, comic book, spiral notebook, 3-ring binder, portfolio, photo album, sheet music, etc.

Thus far, making it a full computer hasn't panned out (tablets). Making it black and white has been moderately successful (e-readers). This is just another attempt. I'm thinking that making it thinner and lighter and more interactive is more compelling than making it more computer-like. Tablets have failed not because they didn't have enough computer features but because they had too many computer features.
    the problem is, it does not extend paper, because i can't write on it with a stylus, you need to use some special pan, that's as thick as your finger, so forget taking quick notes holding this thing in one hand. THE selling point of paper is not included in something that should extend paper.

and on the fun side, i can't even make a paper plane out of it.
    even with that I just don't understand the purpose of a tablet. If it can't fit in a pocket or holster it's not something I would use daily. And I'm not the the type to tote a man purse, especially to pull an ipad out. I truly think people using this in public will look weird (besides commuting, bus,train,plane etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by newone757 View Post
    even with that I just don't understand the purpose of a tablet. If it can't fit in a pocket or holster it's not something I would use daily. And I'm not the the type to tote a man purse, especially to pull an ipad out. I truly think people using this in public will look weird (besides commuting, bus,train,plane etc)
    backpack, laptop bag, briefcase, etc etc.

its one of those things where if youre not using it during a public transportation commute, then you will be using it at starbucks to be seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by mkv_wolf View Post
    i was a little bored and was wondering what a WebOS tablet might look like...

Nah, I can't see that. Palm wants a clean front, remove the button . Go for the clean Pixi/Pre Plus look. I would like to see a webOS tablet. The multi-tasking is what does it for me. I won't be getting one but sadly there are many apple fans out there so they going to make this a iPad a success. I'm pretty sure by now that even if apple released an apple logo polished turd and called it iS***, it would still sell. They would even market it to where it would sound good.
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post

In my opinion the iPad is a solution looking for a problem. I'm sure Apple's marketing team will do their best to fix that...
    +1,
    Now you have to find a problem. If you have a problem using any device not made by APPLE, then it is for you.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    You missed the point. A netbook is a netbook, and iPad is and iPad (a cross between a tablet and a netbook) Something new...Please stop with the personal attacks. Just because I don't immediately dismiss the iPad before it has even been released, and I recognize how well Apple has been doing financially, doesn't make my brain programmed by Apple. They are objective observations, I like to use logic. You should too.
    Okay, I am not in a war of words with you. My issue is simple , Why would I buy it if I have a smartphone and a laptop (either mac or PC) ? Does it do anything special or simply cool looking ?

If this cannot do a full WEB (no flash), then I am not willing to shell my $ 500.00. And I can bet there are large number of prospective customers who agree with me.
    Don't forget the sliding keyboard. Maybe a landscape one this time.
    I think the C40 will be a high end, large screen phone. No keyboard. Snapdragon 1ghz 640x480 resolution screen. A competitor to the Nexus one.

Pixi = low end
    Pre = Mid range
    C40 = High end
    Could C40 be Palm's iPad?
    Not a chance on Earth.

Off-world? Small chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    2. It's unlocked 3G so you can use any US GSM carrier and do prepaid or a monthly plan.
    yes its 3g unlocked but it cant be used on tmobile...only in international gsm carriers
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Okay, I am not in a war of words with you. My issue is simple , Why would I buy it if I have a smartphone and a laptop (either mac or PC) ? Does it do anything special or simply cool looking ?

If this cannot do a full WEB (no flash), then I am not willing to shell my $ 500.00. And I can bet there are large number of prospective customers who agree with me.
    Why is it so difficult for some people here to realize that while they may not find a need for a certain device, other people may?

I for one, would much rather use the Apple Tablet than the crappy netbook I have now for things like ebooks and browsing.

I for one don't ever video chat or really have a need for flash. Before GBP or hparsons attacks me (as they usually do), I admit this device may not be for everybody. However, I think plenty of people will like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Yeah, but even he isn't buying one. Just talking about it (while refusing to call it by name).
    I probably will buy one. Maybe not the first day, but I probably eventually own it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    Ebook readers? It has the wrong screen (reading a book on an LCD would be like staring at flashlight for a couple hours)
    laughable. I stare at my laptop screen all day. No problems at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Of course you keep repeating it. You went to the keynote. You've been programmed...
    This is why all threads in where you participate eventually break down into name calling. I guess we must all agree with you opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    which leaves with the question , who is buying this thing anyway ?
    I know mobileman wants to use is on the bus. Any more bus riders ?

Lets see who is right GBP (and his sister) or the analysts that predict 3 to 5 million sales first year.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Why is it so difficult for some people here to realize that while they may not find a need for a certain device, other people may?

I for one, would much rather use the Apple Tablet than the crappy netbook I have now for things like ebooks and browsing.

I for one don't ever video chat or really have a need for flash. Before GBP or hparsons attacks me (as they usually do), I admit this device may not be for everybody. However, I think plenty of people will like it.
    I understand people will want it, I just don't think it's an amazing device. There was a ton of hype and, just like the Segway, I think a huge let down, that's all. At least it was for me. For people who love everything Apple produces no matter what it is, not so much.

If HP had introduced the exact same device, nobody would care.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    laughable. I stare at my laptop screen all day. No problems at all.
    Staring at a computer screen all day is much different than reading a novel on such a device. Nothing beats e-ink aside from paper itself.