Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Yeah, but even he isn't buying one. Just talking about it (while refusing to call it by name).
    I'll buy it, purely on the fact that it serves my current needs and I know it's made of quality and also on the potential that it will later serve.. just like the initial iPhone.

All of its "problems" are solvable by software releases which will come.. possibly even as early as OS4. Do you really think they would show off OS4 on this device before their iPhone announcement?
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    You missed the point. A netbook is a netbook, and iPad is and iPad (a cross between a tablet and a netbook) Something new...Please stop with the personal attacks. Just because I don't immediately dismiss the iPad before it has even been released, and I recognize how well Apple has been doing financially, doesn't make my brain programmed by Apple. They are objective observations, I like to use logic. You should too.
    Why are you even on this forum? I have nothing against Apple or the iPad, but it seems like you are bad mouthing Palm and the Pre in many threads and defending Apple every chance you get.

I'll give you one thing, people here act very immature and dog Apple like hypocrites (considering they hate it when Palm gets dogged or when Apple fans dog anything), but you are no different. I've seen you come in many a thread and make comments about the Pre like it is inadequate in comparison to the iPhone... if it is throw your away and go join an iPhone/Apple forum, this kind of bickering is really getting old between you and Apple-haters. It's a Palm forum after all.
    I can't understand what the iPad is supposed to do. I thought it would have a cam or camera for skype, etc. and it doesn't have one. I thought it would do flash for web browsing and it doesn't plan to at any point in the near future. It doesn't have expandable storage like an SD slot. WiFi is apparently coming later. Honestly... what gap is it filling? I'm a guy and think that the maxi pad is probably even more useful for the average man than the iPad is.... at least you can give it to someone who can make good use of it.
  4.    #404  
    Wow, I created a monster with over 400 posts. The tags are hilarious, thanks for the input... though I don't think I'm convinced that the C40 is not a web os version of the ipad. I can't help it, I thought it could be a very useful item (though I don't think that I would buy it unless Palm came out with it).
    C - Computer
    40 - 4G ???? I hope so!

Some of you take this feud a little too far, I don't hate apple, I just prefer palm.

BTW hParsons some still think the Pixi is "girly sounding" (though I don't). I pad may not be a great name, but it aint bad either JMO

Thanks again for the input guys
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    im not an apple hater just to clarify. im just dumbfounded by the fact they named it "ipad" and everyone is glorifing it because of the successful ipod and iphone. i have neither of those and dont even want one. i got my phone and it does everything in one device and im a tech junkie too. good job apple, but your not worthy or worship.the only business thats good enough to worship is the catholic church. hehe :-)

thank you mytether
    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    I can't understand what the iPad is supposed to do. I thought it would have a cam or camera for skype, etc. and it doesn't have one. I thought it would do flash for web browsing and it doesn't plan to at any point in the near future. It doesn't have expandable storage like an SD slot. WiFi is apparently coming later. Honestly... what gap is it filling? I'm a guy and think that the maxi pad is probably even more useful for the average man than the iPad is.... at least you can give it to someone who can make good use of it.
    See.. it's people like you (the uninformed and haven't taken the initiative to fully research something) that give such products a bad rep.

Wifi is available on ALL models, it's 3G that's optional. And it is expandable by SD or even an external HDD by USB. Camera, I could take it or leave it.. I wouldn't be taking pics with such a device, but a front-facing camera would be cool for Skype video calls.
    What people expected from Apple was a tablet computer. What Apple delivered was a tablet device. The distinction is you can do pretty much whatever you want on a computer, where a device is intended for only a limited set of functions (dictated by the manufacturer). People wanted Apple to apply some of their UI magic to somehow create a usable, fully-featured, flexible tablet. Instead, Apple produced a larger version of the iPod Touch and called it a day.

Some people are trying to draw parallels between the iPhone/iPod and the iPad. They think that since Apple has built it, it will be bought because its a smoothly integrated device. But this is not a good comparison. Ipod extended an already successful concept: MP3 players (which extended from the successful cassette players like Walkman). The iPhone extended an already successful concept, smartphones (which extended from the merging of cell phones(successful) and PDAs (successful)).

Where does the iPad come in at? Netbooks? Its to restrictive (in terms of hardware and software) and too expensive. Ebook readers? It has the wrong screen (reading a book on an LCD would be like staring at flashlight for a couple hours) and worse battery life. Ok, well, does it extend tablets? I say no, because all previous tablet attempts failed (even by Apple), and I'm having a real hard time finding distinctions in the iPad that would make it a must-have device (or even significantly better than other tablets).

In my opinion the iPad is a solution looking for a problem. I'm sure Apple's marketing team will do their best to fix that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    Where does the iPad come in at? Netbooks? Its to restrictive (in terms of hardware and software) and too expensive. Ebook readers? It has the wrong screen (reading a book on an LCD would be like staring at flashlight for a couple hours) and worse battery life. Ok, well, does it extend tablets? I say no, because all previous tablet attempts failed (even by Apple), and I'm having a real hard time finding distinctions in the iPad that would make it a must-have device (or even significantly better than other tablets).

In my opinion the iPad is a solution looking for a problem. I'm sure Apple's marketing team will do their best to fix that...
    Nailed it exactly. The product has a bad rep because I ask the same question. Great ending line.

Random is the new Order (which is why you should pay a premium for something you can't even get to play songs when you want them played.)
    In regards to flash ... it pretty much boils down to Apple tends to stick to standard formats for the web. SWF and FLV are proprietary, want to write rich apps then use the W3C approved HTML and Javascript. Want video, then stream H.264. There is no reason to coddle Adobe on the standard web.

Edit: Personally, I wish every single mobile device didn't bring flash onboard and pushed HTML5 more heavily. Why should Adobe be allowed to have a stranglehold on the web? If refusal to put flash on devices moves the process of transitioning to HTML5 then I say do it!

What if HULU moves to support HTML5 like Youtube and Vimeo have already done, would people still then ***** about such a device not supporting flash?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    What people expected from Apple was a tablet computer. What Apple delivered was a tablet device. The distinction is you can do pretty much whatever you want on a computer, where a device is intended for only a limited set of functions (dictated by the manufacturer). People wanted Apple to apply some of their UI magic to somehow create a usable, fully-featured, flexible tablet. Instead, Apple produced a larger version of the iPod Touch and called it a day.

Some people are trying to draw parallels between the iPhone/iPod and the iPad. They think that since Apple has built it, it will be bought because its a smoothly integrated device. But this is not a good comparison. Ipod extended an already successful concept: MP3 players (which extended from the successful cassette players like Walkman). The iPhone extended an already successful concept, smartphones (which extended from the merging of cell phones(successful) and PDAs (successful)).

In my opinion the iPad is a solution looking for a problem. I'm sure Apple's marketing team will do their best to fix that. How right you are!!

About not having Flash, it is not the 1st time that Apple did what they wanted instead of what everyone else wants.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by digink View Post
    Why are you even on this forum? I have nothing against Apple or the iPad, but it seems like you are bad mouthing Palm and the Pre in many threads and defending Apple every chance you get.

I'll give you one thing, people here act very immature and dog Apple like hypocrites (considering they hate it when Palm gets dogged or when Apple fans dog anything), but you are no different. I've seen you come in many a thread and make comments about the Pre like it is inadequate in comparison to the iPhone... if it is throw your away and go join an iPhone/Apple forum, this kind of bickering is really getting old between you and Apple-haters. It's a Palm forum after all.
    I don't know how many times I've answered posts like these.

I don't make personal attacks.

I don't "dog" Palm.

I own a Palm Pre.

I own an Apple iPhone.

I can compare the two based on personal experience and form opinions.

I have as much of a right to be here as anyone else.

When someone says, "Apple sux, the iMaxPad will phail becauze no body buys Apple anymore. It sucks like the ifone, who would ever want a phone with no keyz???...they should call it the iPoop...lolz, everyone is brainwashed by Apple and Stever Jobz. DErrrrr. Palm Pre is the best fone everrrr, if Palm made a tablet wit WebOS everyone would buy it thats what C40 iz gonna be"

One must take a subjective look at the reality of the situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I'll buy it, purely on the fact that it serves my current needs and I know it's made of quality and also on the potential that it will later serve.. just like the initial iPhone.

All of its "problems" are solvable by software releases which will come.. possibly even as early as OS4. Do you really think they would show off OS4 on this device before their iPhone announcement?
    1 down, 2,999,999 more to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    BTW hParsons some still think the Pixi is "girly sounding" (though I don't). I pad may not be a great name, but it aint bad either JMO

Thanks again for the input guys
    Oh, I know some people think that (I'm kind of middle of the road on it myself, kinda "girlie" sounding, but so what?". Hope you understand that I was making a nod to that when I said that whoever came up with iPad for a name makes "Pixi" sound like a stroke of genius (which it isn't).

There's no real way to put a positive spin on this. Everyone that watches the crazy Mad TV iPad video from two years ago, and most (meaning just about all of them) that have heard a funny reference linking "iPad" to feminine hygene is going to think about that when they hear the name. You won't be able to help yourself any more than I will.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    If you guys know anything about the psychology of language you would know words ending in "e" or "i" sound tend to sound smaller, which can be interpreted as "feminine"... tiny, cutie, itty-bitty, teeny-weeny...etc
    I don't make personal attacks. Sure you do, if your own standards are to be adopted. Earlier, a person made a statement:
    cool down, world class browsing experience means being able to run Flash , okay. What good is the iPad if I can't see videos on websites. Can't see any video from cnn to cnet. Oh wait a second , I have to download the APPs for these sites I suppose. Sorry my brain is not programmed by APPLE yet.

I say it loud and clear , I have a netbook, and the thing just werks.
    That was the full statement. You accuesed him of making a "personal attack". The closest thing to that was the implication of others being programmed by Apple (though he never said that). In the net world, that's pretty mild, though technically it could be called an attack. By that standard, you attacking him back for his attack is also one. Neither one is really drawing blood, so the "cool down" was probably the best advice

I don't "dog" Palm. Pul lease. Go back and look at what you've said. It may be your personal opinion, and it may be genuinly held, but you are indeed "dogging palm".

I own a Palm Pre. That's good.

I own an Apple iPhone. Interesting. So, do you keep both of them activated? Do you use both as your phone? If not, which one do you use? If so, which is your primary phone (I suspect honest answers on those would give a lot of insight to your posts on here).

I can compare the two based on personal experience and form opinions. Of course you can. And others can look at your posts and form opinions.

I have as much of a right to be here as anyone else. Yep, and along with that should come an expectation that this is a Palm Pre/Pixi forum, and the overwhelming majority of members are going to be folks that like the Pre. If I go to the DNC I have every right to express my opinions, but I shouldn't be surprised when I get shouted down (can you guess my political leanings?

When someone says, "Apple sux, the iMaxPad will phail becauze no body buys Apple anymore. It sucks like the ifone, who would ever want a phone with no keyz???...they should call it the iPoop...lolz, everyone is brainwashed by Apple and Stever Jobz. DErrrrr. Palm Pre is the best fone everrrr, if Palm made a tablet wit WebOS everyone would buy it thats what C40 iz gonna be"

Who said that? Are you exaggerating just a tad? Would that, could that, be construed as a "personal attack"... c'mon now, be honest. That's as much of an attack as the quote listed above that so offended you.

No problem wrasslin' in the mud, but don't complain that someone's gittin ya dirty.
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    If you guys know anything about the psychology of language you would know words ending in "e" or "i" sound tend to sound smaller, which can be interpreted as "feminine"... tiny, cutie, itty-bitty, teeny-weeny...etc
    C'mon now. Now doubt "Pixi" sounds femine. But, if you know anything about the internet, you'd know that the iPad cause "iTampon" to be the #3 trending topic on Twitter the day it was announced. Which of the two do you really think has a bigger naming problem?

That Time Of The Month: The Best Period-Related iPad Jokes - Ipad jokes - Jezebel
    Only if apple listened to this kid.

He made it in 07 for school.. kids in the marketing class said apple would never name it ipad.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    That acutally looks like a decent computer. A bit thick, but yea, that is the basic idea.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't make personal attacks. Sure you do, if your own standards are to be adopted. Earlier, a person made a statement:

That was the full statement. You accuesed him of making a "personal attack". The closest thing to that was the implication of others being programmed by Apple (though he never said that). In the net world, that's pretty mild, though technically it could be called an attack. By that standard, you attacking him back for his attack is also one. Neither one is really drawing blood, so the "cool down" was probably the best advice

I don't "dog" Palm. Pul lease. Go back and look at what you've said. It may be your personal opinion, and it may be genuinly held, but you are indeed "dogging palm".

I own a Palm Pre. That's good.

I own an Apple iPhone. Interesting. So, do you keep both of them activated? Do you use both as your phone? If not, which one do you use? If so, which is your primary phone (I suspect honest answers on those would give a lot of insight to your posts on here).

I can compare the two based on personal experience and form opinions. Of course you can. And others can look at your posts and form opinions.

I have as much of a right to be here as anyone else. Yep, and along with that should come an expectation that this is a Palm Pre/Pixi forum, and the overwhelming majority of members are going to be folks that like the Pre. If I go to the DNC I have every right to express my opinions, but I shouldn't be surprised when I get shouted down (can you guess my political leanings?

Who said that? Are you exaggerating just a tad? Would that, could that, be construed as a "personal attack"... c'mon now, be honest. That's as much of an attack as the quote listed above that so offended you.

No problem wrasslin' in the mud, but don't complain that someone's gittin ya dirty.
    I think someone responding to my post saying "their brain hasn't been programmed by Apple yet" is indeed a personal attack. I never said my brain hasn't been programmed by Palm yet. It also implies that I can't think for myself. Funny thing is the first smartphone I used was a Palm Treo, I was amazed. Then the iPhone came out the next year, I didn't really want it at first.

I don't dog Palm or the Pre, sure there simple little features that are missing on the Pre that I would like to see, I have a wright to compare the two. Don't be mad because I said the iPhone has something and the Pre doesn't. Like scrolling while typing in the browser, very annoying.

I also complained about on screen controls being more difficult to use than on the iPhone. Don't be offended. I did say racing games port over well though and that the color on the Pre's screen looks better.

I have my Palm Pre as my main phone, but I have yet to sell my iPhone. I play games, use WhatsApp (free international SMS for iPhone/iPods), and listen to music on my iPhone now. If I played games and listened to music on my Pre the battery wouldn't last long enough.

If you go to about any page in this thread you will see a similar post, I just made a slightly exaggerated example.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Only if apple listened to this kid.

He made it in 07 for school.. kids in the marketing class said apple would never name it ipad.
    That would be impossible to hold at certain places, making things awkward. How would battery life be on that anyway, not 10 hours...

This has been out for years anyway:

the modbook
    Last edited by rashad1; 01/29/2010 at 10:50 AM.