Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    I unsubscribed from this thread once, but I just checked to see if anyone found redeeming qualities regarding the iPad that I had missed. I guess not, but mobileman's thought about using it on the bus gave me an idea: if you could somehow dock it with a ghetto-blaster, it would work well for bus karaoke.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I'm going to have to disagree with the majority here.

Okay so eInk is easier on the eyes but what else does the kindle do? Kindle is a one-trick pony. And don't a lot of us sit in front of an LCD all day anyways?

Yes one thing it doesn't do is multi-task so big deal. Apple's interface is still very user friendly and still one of the best.

What else out there has 64gig flash memory, 140,000 apps (still growing), 10 hours batter life, 3G as low as $14.99 and a vibrant 9.7" multi-touch as good as Apple can make for $829?

I'll take this over a Kindle and Netbook duo any day.

Don't get me wrong, I have been a loyal Palm customer since the Treo 600 days and I love my Pre but the iPad is just going to be a really fun device.
    Last edited by jdmitrswapped; 01/28/2010 at 06:33 PM. Reason: added text
    I don't get the iPad (jacked up iPod Touch) either. It really doesn't do anything that any decent smartphone will do. I'll keep my Pre for now. Although, the upcoming HTC Supersonic on Sprint looks to be pretty awesome.
    The Saint
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    I don't get the iPad (jacked up iPod Touch) either. It really doesn't do anything that any decent smartphone will do. I'll keep my Pre for now. Although, the upcoming HTC Supersonic on Sprint looks to be pretty awesome.
    it seems like I am repeating the same thing. Did you read through this thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    it seems like I am repeating the same thing. Did you read through this thread?
    Of course you keep repeating it. You went to the keynote. You've been programmed...
    CNET actually has a decent list of reason's why a netbook is better then the Ipad.

10 things Netbooks still do better than an iPad | Crave - CNET

The Ipad is more then underwhelming imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    CNET actually has a decent list of reason's why a netbook is better then the Ipad.

10 things Netbooks still do better than an iPad | Crave - CNET

The Ipad is more then underwhelming imo.
    Not all of what's said on the CNet article is true.. it comes with an adapter to use USB and SD. Also... you don't have to use the keyboard dock, you can use a bluetooth keyboard.

And I guarantee that when OS4 drops with multitasking this will be the hot commodity. The only thing a "netbook" would have over the current version of the iPad would be a camera.. wooopty-doo.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post

high end retailer my rear end.
    Good answer... :-/

Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    nobody is arguing about build quality. and if they have affordable products, how are they considered "high-end?"
    Do you know what the word some means"

Almost everyone can affrod an iPod shuffle, but only people with a higher income are going to buy their LCD screens that have similar models sold by other companies for much lower prices. Certain products are targeted at wealthier customers (Upper and middle class), but other products are affordable to middle and lower class people.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    The only thing a "netbook" would have over the current version of the iPad would be a camera.. wooopty-doo.
    All for about $300 bucks.....

So an over-hyped expensive piece of crap that will cost more will ALMOST do everything a netbook does....great.

Like it has already been mentioned...the fact that Flash won't be useable on it alone makes this complete **** imo.

P.S. You only named 2 things it had over an ipad and are assuming they won't make you pay for the ipad 2 with multi-tasking. =D
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    which leaves with the question , who is buying this thing anyway ?
    I know mobileman wants to use is on the bus. Any more bus riders ?
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    All for about $300 bucks.....

So an over-hyped expensive piece of crap that will cost more will ALMOST do everything a netbook does....great.

Like it has already been mentioned...the fact that Flash won't be useable on it alone makes this complete **** imo.

P.S. You only named 2 things it had over an ipad and are assuming they won't make you pay for the ipad 2 with multi-tasking. =D
    Hey, the iPhone was an over hyped piece of crap a few years ago. Look at it now. 40,000,000+ units sold...

The funtionality of that was somewhat limited at first, but it's flurished. Maybe we will see the same thing here, only time will tell.

Also HTML5 will rid the need for flash and is a lot more stable and secure than flash.
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    Hey, the iPhone was an over hyped piece of crap a few years ago. Look at it now. 40,000,000+ units sold...

The funtionality of that was somewhat limited at first, but it's flurished. Maybe we will see the same thing here, only time will tell.

Also HTML5 will rid the need for flash and is a lot more stable and secure than flash.
    Doubt it. Mainly because their wasn't any other phone that could be compared to the iphone at the time. Remember the iphone wasn't even considered a smartphone at first. The closest competitor to the iphone at the time was RIM and their UI imo has always been ridiculous as well as marketing. This is not true for the ipad. The netbook is here and can do everything an ipad can do and more all for 300 bucks or so.

Also when HTML5 is widely implemented then i'll care. Last I checked 70%+ of all video content was still using Flash. Not to mention all the games..etc.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Doubt it. Mainly because their wasn't any other phone that could be compared to the iphone at the time. Remember the iphone wasn't even considered a smartphone at first. The closest competitor to the iphone at the time was RIM and their UI imo has always been ridiculous as well as marketing. This is not true for the ipad. The netbook is here and can do everything an ipad can do and more all for 300 bucks or so.

Also when HTML5 is widely implemented then i'll care. Last I checked 70%+ of all video content was still using Flash. Not to mention all the games..etc.
    Netbooks are very cheap computers, they lack computing power(at least the cheap ones) and typically have a very poor build of quality. My buddy has been through 2-3 three of them in the past year... You wont be editing videos or photos on your Netbook, Imagine running Adobe Photoshop on the iPad. The form factor is also different, netbooks take the from factor of a laptop. The iPad is supposed to be similar to a book or a pad...only 1.5lbs .5" thin. Therefore the manner in which they are used are different.

I don't see the big deal about flash, it eats up a lot of resources and battery. All YouTube/Google videos are already viewable. Flash games? How about native games available.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmitrswapped View Post
    Kindle is a one-trick pony. ...
    The only people I've ever met in life who ever used the phrase "one trick pony" were from sales or marketing.

What else out there has 64gig flash memory, 140,000 apps (still growing), 10 hours batter life, 3G as low as $14.99 and a vibrant 9.7" multi-touch as good as Apple can make for $829?
    I'm not sure if anyone has told you, but that huge price tag does not include the 140,000 apps (sold separately, another marketing term)

Don't get me wrong, I have been a loyal Palm customer since the Treo 600 days and I love my Pre but the iPad is just going to be a really fun device.
    I'm still waiting to be convinced. Apple always introduces new products at ridiculous prices and some percentage of brainwashed people buy them. They gauge the real price by the percentage of all brainwashed people that took the bait, then they lower the price (to like $399) that the rest of us might pay.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    Netbooks are very cheap computers, they lack computing power(at least the cheap ones) and typically have a very poor build of quality.
    cool down, world class browsing experience means being able to run Flash , okay. What good is the iPad if I can't see videos on websites. Can't see any video from cnn to cnet. Oh wait a second , I have to download the APPs for these sites I suppose. Sorry my brain is not programmed by APPLE yet.

I say it loud and clear , I have a netbook, and the thing just werks.
    [QUOTE=jonathanlc2005;2185045]I'm sorry I'm gunna flame apple here but really...? Ipad? More like imaxipad. It's a dumb idea, ugly looking, and even if it does well, I would never want to have my 3g relied on atts network with them complaining about network strain and unexpaned 3g. Apple didn't think well enough on what people need on a tablet and honestly I don't see many with tablets if barely any. Most people have notebooks and pdas from what I've seen. The ipad belongs exactly where, well, pads go. So congraulations ladies... Heres a chance to splurge on something more then shoes[/QUOTE

OMG!!!! MY JOKE CAUGHT UP WITH MADTV!!! they couldnt agree more with me

thank you mytether
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    cool down, world class browsing experience means being able to run Flash , okay. What good is the iPad if I can't see videos on websites. Can't see any video from cnn to cnet. Oh wait a second , I have to download the APPs for these sites I suppose. Sorry my brain is not programmed by APPLE yet.

I say it loud and clear , I have a netbook, and the thing just werks.
    You missed the point. A netbook is a netbook, and iPad is and iPad (a cross between a tablet and a netbook) Something new...Please stop with the personal attacks. Just because I don't immediately dismiss the iPad before it has even been released, and I recognize how well Apple has been doing financially, doesn't make my brain programmed by Apple. They are objective observations, I like to use logic. You should too.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    which leaves with the question , who is buying this thing anyway ?
    I know mobileman wants to use is on the bus. Any more bus riders ?
    Yeah, but even he isn't buying one. Just talking about it (while refusing to call it by name).
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Since we are pretty much replaying the same basic discussion from two years ago, I think maybe they should have called it the iFoleo
    Last edited by fredc1; 01/28/2010 at 10:30 PM. Reason: typo