Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I am assuming by your sarcasm that it was mentioned on the sites front page. Have you ever considered that some people might have the Precentral forums bookmarked and never go to the front page?
    i believe plenty of people dont go to the front page judging by a lot of posts on here. but they should.

Sometimes its difficult to have a grown up conversation with the likes of some of the people on this message board.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    you made no mention of reading an ebook in that post. if you did prior to that, i didnt see it.

however, an LCD is an LCD. what makes you think reading an ebook on an iPad would be any easier on the eyes than a netbook? eInk is THE reason why kindles and the like are sooooooo nice for books.

again, not all keyboards on them are bad. but that's beside the point.
    Because I can hold the Apple Tablet in portrait mode, why reading off the netbook is horizontal (and a lot of scrolling). I guess you can hold a netbook on its side, but that's not a very good experience.

I read a LCD screen all day, I read ebooks on the iPhone kindle app, I never once had eye strain. Not a big deal to me.

Kindle might be good at straight books, but imagine big colorful magazine articles, or comic books on the Apple Tablet.
    ......but imagine big colorful magazine articles, or comic books on the Apple Tablet.
    And that is how the Pad should have been positioned. I will use a Pad to read magazines but I don't see it as the replacement for a laptop. A netbook, sure. But for now, I'm holding off on any e-reader/mag reader b/c many of the mags are taking diff directions, i.e. Conde Nast is using Adobe Air for their e-reader ready publications. The Pad won't do Adobe right now so its best to wait and see how the Pad and other e-readers are fleshed out as the year progresses.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    And that is how the Pad should have been positioned. I will use a Pad to read magazines but I don't see it as the replacement for a laptop. A netbook, sure. But for now, I'm holding off on any e-reader/mag reader b/c many of the mags are taking diff directions, i.e. Conde Nast is using Adobe Air for their e-reader ready publications. The Pad won't do Adobe right now so its best to wait and see how the Pad and other e-readers are fleshed out as the year progresses.
    Why would Apple market this thing as a laptop replacement? If you want to buy a laptop, Apple wants you to buy a $2000 MacBook. It is not intended to replace your laptop. I think that's what people were expecting yesterday though.

Again, I can see trading my netbook for one though.
    reading an ebook on the netbook is not a great experience.

Having a device that is instant on is great for doing things on the go (sleep mode works bad on my netbook)

OSX apps were not designed for a touch interface. iPhone apps were. You would need a complete rewrite of the UI for many OSX apps to work properly on a touch device
    Reading on an ebook on an LCD screen, especially a shiney LCD screen, is not a great experience.

I don't really care how much work it would've been for them to adapt OSX to a touch screen interface. Not my concern, not my problem. But that's what I was looking for, probably would've been "magical".

I'm thoroughly convinced that all of the creative people took a big wad of cash, packed up, and went somewhere else after the iPhone. The only thing creative going on is trying to find different ways to hook you into their ecosystem.

But like I said, more power to ya if it floats your boat. I'm done.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Reading on an ebook on an LCD screen, especially a shiney LCD screen, is not a great experience.
    in your opinion. I disagree. Your doing it right now.

I don't really care how much work it would've been for them to adapt OSX to a touch screen interface. Not my concern, not my problem.
    ...and not possible
    Why would Apple market this thing as a laptop replacement? If you want to buy a laptop, Apple wants you to buy a $2000 MacBook. It is not intended to replace your laptop. I think that's what people were expecting yesterday though.

Again, I can see trading my netbook for one though.
    I'm saying that it should have been positioned as a e-reader/mag reader WITH the capability to do more than a Sony Reader, Kindle DX or Nook. If they would have did that, then you wouldn't see all of the 'huh' monday morning quarterback type of reviews and articles.
    I'm saying that it should have been positioned as a e-reader/mag reader WITH the capability to do more than a Sony Reader, Kindle DX or Nook. If they would have did that, then you wouldn't see all of the 'huh' monday morning quarterback type of reviews and articles.
    Um, it is a ereader with the capability to do more.
    But I think that what people are saying about reading a e-book on a LCD is that the LCD screen has to be positioned correctly in order to avoid the viewing angle issues.
    Um, it is a ereader with the capability to do more.
    Ok, you were there at the keynote. I followed live blogging of the event. Steve's emphasis was on magical and revolutionary browsing and watching media on the Pad is and how its the best email experience bar none. His mentioning e-books was like and after thought, 'oh and we have e-books'.
    But I think that what people are saying about reading a e-book on a LCD is that the LCD screen has to be positioned correctly in order to avoid the viewing angle issues.
    The viewing angle on the Apple Tablet (its new official name in my book) are extremely good. I stood next to a buddy of mine, watching him demo it (while waiting not very patiently), and was easily able to see text at extreme angles.

The argument of a dedicated reader is e-ink. How much easier it is on your eyes. I say hogwash. I stare at a LCD screen all day. I browse, read docs, read PDFs, create spreadsheets, read books and never have a problem.
    Ok, you were there at the keynote. I followed live blogging of the event. Steve's emphasis was on magical and revolutionary browsing and watching media on the Pad is and how its the best email experience bar none. His mentioning e-books was like and after thought, 'oh and we have e-books'.
    I disagree. There was a dedicated part of the keynote to the new iBook app. He even demoed purchasing a book and reading it.
    This signature for rent
    This signature for rent
    This signature for rent
    Wrong. I'm not reading an eBook, I'm reading a forum. And the monitor that I'm using does not have a shiney screeen. And yes, that statement was my opinion. Because I think for myself.

Moreover, when I have something on my computer that I need to read that's longer than a couple paragraphs, I print it out. Because reading on an LCD screen sux, whether the Lord Jobs has created it or not.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    why are you so hung up on sales numbers?

and that's a whole lotta units for a luxury brand to be pumping out.
    1.If you were to look at the post before the poster sarcastically says two successful products are a big deal. The sales number are HUGE compare to anyother mobile product out there on the market.

2. Apple is a high-end retailer, never said it was luxury, you did. They do carry some affordable products with great build quality.
    Moreover, when I have something on my computer that I need to read that's longer than a couple paragraphs, I print it out. Because reading on an LCD screen sux, whether the Lord Jobs has created it or not.
    Then the Apple Tablet is not for you. I have no problems reading ebooks on a LCD screen. I dont print out things in order to read them ever.

You do know, that some people just might not agree with your opinion. The Kindle iPhone app has been downloaded over a million times. Lots of people disagree with you (and maybe even your sister)
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    1.If you were to look at the post before the poster sarcastically says two successful products are a big deal. The sales number are HUGE compare to anyother mobile product out there on the market.
    and he's right. the iPod and iPhone are the only two products in their respective categories that Apple has a foothold in. MY point, that you keep ignoring, is that the volume of their sales doesn't necessarily make their product a better product. it just means more people buy it.

2. Apple is a high-end retailer,
    high end retailer my rear end.

never said it was luxury, you did.
    last night you implied, and still are today, that they are some fancy schmancy brand....because they say so. their products, especially their computers, arent that much higher priced than their windows counterparts. they sure as heck arent spec'd any better.

They do carry some affordable products with great build quality.
    nobody is arguing about build quality. and if they have affordable products, how are they considered "high-end?"
    Im sure Palm would love to have that success though. Even though you don't want to admit it, Palm and Apple are direct competitors. For every iPhone sale, is 1 less potential Pre sale.

I was thinking that the Verizon Pre, with its MiFi would be the perfect companion for the iPad (I will only refer to it as the Apple Tablet going forward).
    Of course they would. I have no trouble "admitting" they are competitors, what makes you thinik I would have trouble admitting that? Competition is a good thing. Were it not for iPhone, we'd still be stuck with Treos.