Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Well, what if you want to read an ebook? Sure, you can do it on the Pre's 3.1 inch screen, but thats not a very good experience.

What happens if you want to watch movies on a bus ride? Sure you can do it on your Pre's 3.1 inch screen, but thats not a very good experience.

Instead of running fart apps, I can also use documents to go or iWork to view and edit a spreadsheet I am working on. Sure, you can do that on your Pre's 3.1 inch screen (not the iWork part), but thats not a very good experience.

I'm not saying the Tablet is for everybody, but I see where it might be useful.
    You have a point in saying its not for everybody. Its only for folks who want to watch movies,browse the net (sans flash) , read books and finally edit spreadsheets while riding the bus. But when they reach home they will jump back to their Mac/ PC.

The question really is who is that "folks" who wants to carry an iPhone/Smartphone/ iPod Touch , iPad and laptop?

I will not be buying another gadget just because it looks cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    So, as you stated, you were not convinced. You were impressed, but not convinced. Sounds like you're much like his sister, a non-buyer, except more impressed.
    If I had $500 extra and wanted an ebook, Kindle, Nook, or an extra Web Browsing device. I would most certainly buy one. I am trying to show some financial restraint (I will probably buy one anyway though).

My point is during the Keynote I didn't want one. When I had a few minutes playing with it I completely changed my mind. On the flight back to NY last night I was thinking about it the whole way (wishing I had it with me). I think its definitely not a device for everybody, but I think it will be very successful (not iPhone level success though).
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    oh well , I would be buying one if not for the FLASH thing. APPLE is brain dead to call it magical internet browsing.

This just came out from ADOBE

" It looks like Apple is continuing to impose restrictions on their devices that limit both content publishers and consumers. Unlike many other ebook readers using the ePub file format, consumers will not be able to access ePub content with Apple's DRM technology on devices made by other manufacturers. And without Flash support, iPad users will not be able to access the full range of web content, including over 70% of games and 75% of video on the web.

If I want to use the iPad to connect to Disney, Hulu, Miniclip, Farmville, ESPN, Kongregate, or JibJab -- not to mention the millions of other sites on the web -- I'll be out of luck.
    "
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    You have a point in saying its not for everybody. Its only for folks who want to watch movies,browse the net (sans flash) , read books and finally edit spreadsheets while riding the bus. But when they reach home they will jump back to their Mac/ PC.

The question really is who is that "folks" who wants to carry an iPhone/Smartphone/ iPod Touch , iPad and laptop?

I will not be buying another gadget just because it looks cool.
    I think you got it. Its for people that want a mobile device with a bigger screen than an iPhone, but still runs apps designed for a touch interface. I have grown to hate my netbook over the last few months. Mostly because it does nothing well. Its slow, the screen is low quality, and takes forever to boot. Yes it has a keyboard for docs and spreadsheets, but its way cramped and not a pleasant experience. I see a market for the Apple Tablet

Again, not the same size market for a smartphone, but big enough where I think sales will be good.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Imagine clicking on the video links only to be pointed to a blank form.
    Last edited by gbp; 01/28/2010 at 05:42 PM.
    I personally will be waiting for this:
    Microsoft's dual-screen Courier booklet emerges, isn't near production -- Engadget

I can think of so many ways this actually might be useful to me in school and in professional life. I could see myself paying somewhere between $1000-1500 for this.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Sure it sucks , so is browsing without flash support. Duh.
    I have to admit. I'm the wrong person to ask about Flash. I absolutely hate it. Then again, I don't use Hulu or the facebook farm game. Though, I can see why some people would want it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    Big deal huh?

250,000,000 iPods
    40,000,000 iPhones

...is Palm doing those numbers?
    why are you so hung up on sales numbers?

and that's a whole lotta units for a luxury brand to be pumping out.
    Imagine clicking on the video links only to be pointed to a black form.
    thats racist!
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I personally will be waiting for this:
    Microsoft's dual-screen Courier booklet emerges, isn't near production -- Engadget

I can think of so many ways this actually might be useful to me in school and in professional life. I could see myself paying somewhere between $1000-1500 for this.
    Does look nice. This is a prototype though. It may never come to the market and its priced out of most people budget.
    I have to admit. I'm the wrong person to ask about Flash. I absolutely hate it. Then again, I don't use Hulu or the facebook farm game. Though, I can see why some people would want it.
    My one issue, is if you are browsing the web and there is an embedded youtube video, I assume you click on the video and it will open up the youtube app. But once you are done with youtube, you need to close that out and go back to the webpage. I feel like after doing this for a while, it will get old and annoying very fast.

I have grown to hate my netbook over the last few months. Mostly because it does nothing well. Its slow, the screen is low quality, and takes forever to boot.
    i have no such issues with my two. not all of them are good.

Yes it has a keyboard for docs and spreadsheets, but its way cramped and not a pleasant experience. I see a market for the Apple Tablet
    youd give up a cramped physical keyboard for a lackluster touchscreen one?

Again, not the same size market for a smartphone, but big enough where I think sales will be good.
    good for them if the sales are good. i dont want them to fail. but this one will be interesting to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    My one issue, is if you are browsing the web and there is an embedded youtube video, I assume you click on the video and it will open up the youtube app. But once you are done with youtube, you need to close that out and go back to the webpage. I feel like after doing this for a while, it will get old and annoying very fast.
    I guess it never bothered me on the iPhone, but I guess to some it would.

I was thinking that the Verizon Pre, with its MiFi would be the perfect companion for the iPad
    GREAT IDEA!!!

you should write that up as an editorial for the front page of this site!!!

...............wait.................
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    i have no such issues with my two. not all of them are good.

youd give up a cramped physical keyboard for a lackluster touchscreen one?

good for them if the sales are good. i dont want them to fail. but this one will be interesting to watch.
    Then you use your netbook differently than I do. Have you tried reading an ebook on your netbook? Not very good.

A cramped netbook keyboard is not a keyboard I would miss very much.
    Does look nice. This is a prototype though. It may never come to the market and its priced out of most people budget.
    Maybe. I think the software will be the biggest trick. I can easily see something like this being integrated in to digital medical records programs and systems. As a medical professional, this looks like some I would love to have in a medical practice.

MS has proven they can make a nice touch device (Zune HD) that has nice build quality and feels great to use. What they haven't shown yet is that they will get the support software that will be needed to have this succeed. I would expect so see something similar to Tegra 2 on this, so the horse-power should be there.

Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    GREAT IDEA!!!

you should write that up as an editorial for the front page of this site!!!

...............wait.................
    I am assuming by your sarcasm that it was mentioned on the sites front page. Have you ever considered that some people might have the Precentral forums bookmarked and never go to the front page?

Sometimes its difficult to have a grown up conversation with the likes of some of the people on this message board.
    I guess it never bothered me on the iPhone, but I guess to some it would.
    It doesn't bother me on my Pre because ofthe multitasking. When I used my mom's iTouch the constantly opening and closing apps really got to me, so it might just be me.

Then you use your netbook differently than I do. Have you tried reading an ebook on your netbook? Not very good.
    you made no mention of reading an ebook in that post. if you did prior to that, i didnt see it.

however, an LCD is an LCD. what makes you think reading an ebook on an iPad would be any easier on the eyes than a netbook? eInk is THE reason why kindles and the like are sooooooo nice for books.

A cramped netbook keyboard is not a keyboard I would miss very much.
    again, not all keyboards on them are bad. but that's beside the point.
    Since the size is much closer to a netbook and not a smartphone, I would think that multitasking should have been a no brainer, since you can multitask on a net book.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group