Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    I couldn't care less who is right or wrong, my point was that if Steve Jobs can't convince my sister, of all people, to buy one, this might not be the revolution he says it is. After many, many years of blind loyalty she's starting to see the man behind the curtain.

If you gave me one, I wouldn't throw it out, but I'm sure not going to pay five hundred clams for it.
    Its not revolution, its "Magical" , like in "Magic" .

I agree , I wonder who gets convinced to buy this thing ?
    Folks already have a phone,laptop, camera, PC , another computer that can't run flash , but does the internet on your PALM ? hmm Steve forgot to take medication that morning. Really who buys this thing ? may be baby boomers who want to browse the net from couch sans flash. Yeah Right,
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    the more I read about it , it looks to me as belonging to the "Peek" family , just another gadget.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Its not revolution, its "Magical" , like in "Magic" .

I agree , I wonder who gets convinced to buy this thing ?
    Folks already have a phone,laptop, camera, PC , another computer that can't run flash , but does the internet on your PALM ? hmm Steve forgot to take medication that morning. Really who buys this thing ? may be baby boomers who want to browse the net from couch sans flash. Yeah Right,
    I'd buy it for $200. If it had RF, IR and a universal remote application I would consider paying $500 for it.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    why in hell did they pick at&t when there have been so many problems with them in the first place??
    Folks at Apple forgot to take their medication.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I'd buy it for $200. If it had RF, IR and a universal remote application I would consider paying $500 for it.
    Totally agree with you.
    I would buy in a heartbeat if this thing is $200.
    I recently bought a netbook for $270 that is more useful than this iPad.
    OBTW, it has Windows 7 starter with Flash , yes with Flash.
    I have the magical internet experience on it , I switch between Chrome / Opera / Safari / Firefox like Magic.
    Look Apple has a spotty record with these things after all remember the Newton, that was a dud. Then there was a Lisa, which was great until you realized you would need a 2nd mortgage to pay for it.

The Ipad doesn't do anything new,so why buy it. Nor is it small or lighter or much better than other products out there.

frankly they should have waited until Oleds came down in price and made a unit with a roll up or fold up screen. That would have worked as a phone and a tablet.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Look Apple has a spotty record with these things after all remember the Newton, that was a dud. Then there was a Lisa, which was great until you realized you would need a 2nd mortgage to pay for it.
    Lisa might be an obsession and that was long time back when Steve J was not the Steve J of today. We all know how bad ATT network is. Yet they went with ATT. Its like they do not care about their customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanlc2005 View Post
    oh boy... So we have two successful products... Big deal. I don't think anybodys gunna want to carry a 10 inch mp3 player, internet device, or any of the fart apps you can download on there. If I want internet with a touchscreen, I have my palm which was first in the game with touchscreen internet. Now we rave apple doing it. Reminds me of the racial division we have here of a black guy and white guy doing the same thing, the white guy gets more success. If I want an mp3 player I have an ipod or my phone. If I want to watch movies?netflix and portable dvd player for like 70 bucks. And still spent less and have more capabilities then an ipad
    Well, what if you want to read an ebook? Sure, you can do it on the Pre's 3.1 inch screen, but thats not a very good experience.

What happens if you want to watch movies on a bus ride? Sure you can do it on your Pre's 3.1 inch screen, but thats not a very good experience.

Instead of running fart apps, I can also use documents to go or iWork to view and edit a spreadsheet I am working on. Sure, you can do that on your Pre's 3.1 inch screen (not the iWork part), but thats not a very good experience.

I'm not saying the Tablet is for everybody, but I see where it might be useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Well, what if you want to read an ebook? Sure, you can do it on the Pre's 3.1 inch screen, but thats not a very good experience.

What happens if you want to watch movies on a bus ride? Sure you can do it on your Pre's 3.1 inch screen, but thats not a very good experience.

Instead of running fart apps, I can also use documents to go or iWork to view and edit a spreadsheet I am working on. Sure, you can do that on your Pre's 3.1 inch screen (not the iWork part), but thats not a very good experience.

I'm not saying the Tablet is for everybody, but I see where it might be useful.
    But why not just do that on your netbook? And have the ability to do all that and more? Why not have the iPad run OSX or some variation? I still don't see any advantage of a less capable and more expensive device of that size.

This thing is a Steve Jobs we-don't-do-netbooks ego trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The iPad will replace a netbook for whoever I would buy a netbook for or recommend a netbook to. Because if I take someone to the store to get a netbook or order one for them then I will surely be committing myself to hours of technical support. At least I know that an iPad will not have problems with drivers, graphics, software compatibility, hard drives, or bios.
    Which is exactly why I recommend a paper notepad and #2 pencil.
    Why would I want to run apps that were not intended to run on a touch device? Ever use a Windows tablet? If you did, you would know what I mean.
    Did you see what I was responding to? The other post was talking about how they were backwards compatible. I dont' know why you would want to do that, maybe there was an old program you liked. Kinda the way some folks like some of the old PalmOS apps. Even though there's a way to do it, seems UntidyGuy thinks they should be backwards compatible... Odd.
    But why not just do that on your netbook? And have the ability to do all that and more? Why not have the iPad run OSX or some variation? I still don't see any advantage of a less capable and more expensive device of that size.

This thing is a Steve Jobs we-don't-do-netbooks ego trip.
    reading an ebook on the netbook is not a great experience.

Having a device that is instant on is great for doing things on the go (sleep mode works bad on my netbook)

OSX apps were not designed for a touch interface. iPhone apps were. You would need a complete rewrite of the UI for many OSX apps to work properly on a touch device
    Which is exactly why I recommend a paper notepad and #2 pencil.
    I guess. But try browsing the net on your number 2 pencil.
    Just perhaps you might want to try one first before you pass judgment. Who knows, maybe even your sister might change her mind after actually touching it.
    Now wait a minute... Didn't you try one? You said yourself, you're not 100% convinced... Just sayin'
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Now wait a minute... Didn't you try one? You said yourself, you're not 100% convinced... Just sayin'
    I did try one.

I actually like some parts of it more than I thought I would (The hardware feels incredible in the hand).

If I was in the market for an netbook or a ebook reader it would be a no brainer

I presently have no extra money to spend. But if you bought me one, I would be very happy.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanlc2005 View Post
    oh boy... So we have two successful products... Big deal
    Big deal huh?

250,000,000 iPods
    40,000,000 iPhones

...is Palm doing those numbers?
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    Big deal huh?

250,000,000 iPods
    40,000,000 iPhones

...is Palm doing those numbers?
    Why would they? Are you under the misguided notion that Palm is trying displace Apple? They're not, they said so, and they don't see iPods or dedicted music devices.

Maybe this was just an opportunity to flex the virtual biceps a little?
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I guess. But try browsing the net on your number 2 pencil.
    Sure it sucks , so is browsing without flash support. Duh.
    I did try one.

I actually like some parts of it more than I thought I would (The hardware feels incredible in the hand).

If I was in the market for an netbook or a ebook reader it would be a no brainer

I presently have no extra money to spend. But if you bought me one, I would be very happy.
    So, as you stated, you were not convinced. You were impressed, but not convinced. Sounds like you're much like his sister, a non-buyer, except more impressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Why would they? Are you under the misguided notion that Palm is trying displace Apple? They're not, they said so, and they don't see iPods or dedicted music devices.

Maybe this was just an opportunity to flex the virtual biceps a little?
    Im sure Palm would love to have that success though. Even though you don't want to admit it, Palm and Apple are direct competitors. For every iPhone sale, is 1 less potential Pre sale.

I was thinking that the Verizon Pre, with its MiFi would be the perfect companion for the iPad (I will only refer to it as the Apple Tablet going forward).