Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    A 10inch slate with WebOS makes sense after PALM supports Flash.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanlc2005 View Post
    I'm sorry I'm gunna flame apple here but really...? Ipad? More like imaxipad. It's a dumb idea, ugly looking, and even if it does well, I would never want to have my 3g relied on atts network with them complaining about network strain and unexpaned 3g. Apple didn't think well enough on what people need on a tablet and honestly I don't see many with tablets if barely any. Most people have notebooks and pdas from what I've seen. The ipad belongs exactly where, well, pads go. So congraulations ladies... Heres a chance to splurge on something more then shoes
    how many Mp3 players did you see in 2000?

How many capacitive touchscreen only smartphones did you see in 2006?

Only time will tell...
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    I love how apple haters criticize new offerings by apple, but then go waving palm's weak little flag around as if to say " oh yeah? well PALM'S toy will be BETTER! nahhhh!! This after a DECADE of underwhelming disappointing products from palm.

Bunch of annoying children playing sandbox games.
    Look I am not a apple hater or lover, to me the issue is it was so over hawked, that, I expected the ipad to run for prez! That is part apples fault for not helping to tone down the faux adulation. It is a niche product, period.

To me it is a baby boomers delite, (which I am a boomer) and itouch with a bigger screen for all of us who need reading glasses, LOL. (not me I had lasix surgery). Basically I would call it an Itouch on steroids.

Since I am disabled all of my reading audio thru a FREE program from the Library of Congress' National Library Service and I have no need for an overgrown Kindle.

These days in this economy, who have $500 to $825 for a prodcut that brings nothing new to the table.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    As all the girls screamed at "Carrie" in the shower seen: iPAD - plug it up plug it plug it up
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    They have loyal customers to support their R&D effort.
    APPLE will sell a million of these before upgrading it with real OSX. But with current specs ( no flash, can't watch CNN video whats up with that) the browsing experience is not so magical.
    I guess we'll have to see. I use my everything-Apple-loving sister as a gauge on these things, and she says she doesn't see the point of it and has predicted it will be the "biggest flop since the Newton". Her words, not mine.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Well, I disagree with you on that one. Apple's niche market in the pc (personal computer, lower case) game is that their products work. Right out of the box. Hardware is rock solid, software (no matter who it's from) almost as much so. They achieve that through tight control.

The PC world is totally different. Even those that consumers buy assembled really are just assembled "build a computer". Name brand computers (at the consumer level) have one set of chips on one production run, and the new lowest bidder on the next production run. The nature of the industry means there is less control, and thus less reliability.
    I guess you have not read much about all the new 27 inch iMAC's that have been opened from their brand new box only to be DOA or the screens were cracked.

Apple has a spotty record as far as quality goes these days.

I own two IMAC's and a MacBook Pro lap top, I like the OSX operating system, but I will in no way ever bow at the alter of Steve Jobs.

I love my new Palm Pre, my wife loves her new Palm Pixi, got the buy one get one deal from Verizon.

In my opinion Steve Jobs laid a big egg on stage with iPad, and Apple should have had Colonel Sanders on stage previewing that thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    You don't have to apologize. I was a teenager once, too.

By the way, it looks like Palm could have benefited from some lessons in how to implement backwards compatibility. The iPad runs iPhone OS apps right out of the box. No need to wait for the "Classic" apps you have learned to love.
    But will it run Macintosh software?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    But will it run Macintosh software?
    Why would I want to run apps that were not intended to run on a touch device? Ever use a Windows tablet? If you did, you would know what I mean.
    remember when the might OSX came out? Did it natively run OS9 applications? Or did you need an emulator. Same deal as WebOS and PalmOS, you need the emulator.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    I guess we'll have to see. I use my everything-Apple-loving sister as a gauge on these things, and she says she doesn't see the point of it and has predicted it will be the "biggest flop since the Newton". Her words, not mine.
    Well, I guess we shall see who is right. Steve Jobs, and the Apple board......or your sister.

I was not so sure of the device till I used it yesterday also. I'm still not 100 percent sure I need one, but it would be real nice to have.

On a side note, I have no desire to ever go to another Apple Event again. There were so many people there, I thought I was going to get crushed.
    cute... But amatuerish... I think that dehydration is really affecting your ability to think. I suggest you drink more of that apple kool-aid
    You don't have to apologize. I was a teenager once, too.

By the way, it looks like Palm could have benefited from some lessons in how to implement backwards compatibility. The iPad runs iPhone OS apps right out of the box. No need to wait for the "Classic" apps you have learned to love.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Well, I guess we shall see who is right. Steve Jobs, and the Apple board......or your sister.

I was not so sure of the device till I used it yesterday also. I'm still not 100 percent sure I need one, but it would be real nice to have.

On a side note, I have no desire to ever go to another Apple Event again. There were so many people there, I thought I was going to get crushed.
    I couldn't care less who is right or wrong, my point was that if Steve Jobs can't convince my sister, of all people, to buy one, this might not be the revolution he says it is. After many, many years of blind loyalty she's starting to see the man behind the curtain.

If you gave me one, I wouldn't throw it out, but I'm sure not going to pay five hundred clams for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    I couldn't care less who is right or wrong, my point was that if Steve Jobs can't convince my sister, of all people, to buy one, this might not be the revolution he says it is. After many, many years of blind loyalty she's starting to see the man behind the curtain.

If you gave me one, I wouldn't throw it out, but I'm sure not going to pay five hundred clams for it.
    Just perhaps you might want to try one first before you pass judgment. Who knows, maybe even your sister might change her mind after actually touching it.
    That's like saying the iPhone has no backwards compatibility with the Newton. PalmOS came out only a few years after the Newton. The only difference is PalmOS was successful for a very long time.

By the way, I think it was a brilliant move of Palm to let third party developers deal with PalmOS compatibility. Because that frees Palm to concentrate on making WebOS a superior OS. I want Palm to do nothing else but improve the new WebOS and not worry about an old dinosaur that will be less relevant as new apps come out for WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Just perhaps you might want to try one first before you pass judgment. Who knows, maybe even your sister might change her mind after actually touching it.
    I don't see how touching it is going to change a thing. I've read the reviews, watched the videos, and seen the specs. If I was looking for a toy, touching it might make a difference, but I'm not.

Look, I've owned a couple of Apple computers, and both were disappointments. But in my household there are currently eight iPods (and only four people) because they're really nice products that are good at what they do.

So if this had been the product it was hyped to be, or maybe more acurately, the product I was expecting it to be, I probably would've bought one. But it's not, so I'm not. It's filling a gap that ain't open, at least for me.

I know people will buy it and love it, I just have no use for it. That should be ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanlc2005 View Post
    I'm sorry I'm gunna flame apple here but really...? Ipad? More like imaxipad. It's a dumb idea, ugly looking, and even if it does well, I would never want to have my 3g relied on atts network with them complaining about network strain and unexpaned 3g. Apple didn't think well enough on what people need on a tablet and honestly I don't see many with tablets if barely any. Most people have notebooks and pdas from what I've seen. The ipad belongs exactly where, well, pads go. So congraulations ladies... Heres a chance to splurge on something more then shoes
    why in hell did they pick at&t when there have been so many problems with them in the first place?? Although many of the problems that AT & T is blamed for is also Apples fault. It also it not the big deal the press carried on about. you can do everything the ipad, (god I hate that name), on an itouch or Iphone.

This could have been a earth moving product but it is not. For all of Steve Jobs proclamations from the mount, I am very underwhelmed. No removable battery after he has been reamed out for years over this, what is he nuts?
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    The iPad is targeted at a more professional audience, but also includes non-professionals as well.
    How so, and what do you mean by professional? In my mind professional tends to mean busy, which means little time to screw around. But this still makes me ask the question, what does the iPad help me get done? It won't replace my smartphone and it won't replace my laptop.

I am still sticking to my guns that it is an extremely expensive coffee table book.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    apparently he's nuts and desires a pad. I guess that's why they have unsure on sat's when they ask sexual orientation...
    oh boy... So we have two successful products... Big deal. I don't think anybodys gunna want to carry a 10 inch mp3 player, internet device, or any of the fart apps you can download on there. If I want internet with a touchscreen, I have my palm which was first in the game with touchscreen internet. Now we rave apple doing it. Reminds me of the racial division we have here of a black guy and white guy doing the same thing, the white guy gets more success. If I want an mp3 player I have an ipod or my phone. If I want to watch movies?netflix and portable dvd player for like 70 bucks. And still spent less and have more capabilities then an ipad
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    how many Mp3 players did you see in 2000?

How many capacitive touchscreen only smartphones did you see in 2006?

Only time will tell...
    unless it had cupholders or a coffee brewer :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    How so, and what do you mean by professional? In my mind professional tends to mean busy, which means little time to screw around. But this still makes me ask the question, what does the iPad help me get done? It won't replace my smartphone and it won't replace my laptop.

I am still sticking to my guns that it is an extremely expensive coffee table book.