Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 595
  1. #241  
    i havent said it is absolutely better than a netbook... have to wait until the ipad is actually out consider if it really meets my needs.

    i am shopping for a netbook actually and thinking asus or hp with the new intel cpu that people are getting 8-10 hours and can see having windows on it would be advantageous because there are more things i can do for work like be able to go wireless around campus and be able to remote into my servers and access my tools while taking care of users.

    but also will a really be doing that all the time or will i be just browsing and checking email and taking it for short trips where i dont need more than that and a dozen or so apps that i am using on my phone now (those apps are becoming harder to not live with which I think will help in the appeal of the tablet).

    just expressing my view on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    But how is that any better or different than a netbook? That's exactly how I use my Dell Mini now - I never turn it off, and when I'm ready to use it, I open the screen, it wakes up, and I get right to business. The products that do everything the iPad is capable of, and more, are already on the market. And they're cheaper. They just don't have an Apple logo on them.

    This is the one-button mouse all over again.
  2. #242  
    And here's the thing; I woke up this morning thinking, Apple has this new computer coming out that might be just the thing to replace my netbook. I'm not sure how, but knowing Apple, since Jobs is so dead set against the netbook, it's going to be better and maybe I'll buy one.

    Only Apple didn't introduce a computer today, just an iPod with a bigger screen.

    Seems odd, until you remember who you're dealing with. And you realize that if Apple develops a nice tablet computer, like I was looking for, they're not guaranteed to make money off every app I use on that computer, and every song I buy on that computer, and every movie I watch on that computer, and every book I read on that computer.

    So now Steve is going to convince me that that bigger iPod is really what I needed. Almost had me this time...
  3. #243  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    didnt say multitasking not needed... said i wish it did have it.
    but did say it's not as useless as you are also trying to make it with your excuses.

    your second paragraph... you are stuck with the notion that you exit the app and need to go to the home screen to go to another app as being non productive...

    to me its not any different in you taking the steps to get to your different cards on your phone and switching from app to app... especially when i said that going back and forth you are returning to where you last were.

    it's not true multitasking... wish it did have multitasking... but it's not totally useless where you close your app, closed all your data and going back and forth is a pain because you have to reload and continue on.

    anyways... i answered your question... i was being serious.

    and most likely in future version apple implement multitasking and we can move on to the next apple flaw. but as it is now... it doesnt have it.

    im not comparing this to my pre. its not a phone. its trying to compete with netbooks/small notebooks which have real (but flawed as well) Os' on them. SO when compared to simply clicking on the taskbar to switch apps, exiting to the homescreen to do the same thing is in fact counterproductive. Dont think so?? make it your goal from now on to make sure you always exit to the desktop before switching apps in your desktop from now on. It doesnt make thing impossible but with multiple apps open at the same time its just a waste of time, which adds up at the end of the day. and everyone knows time is money

    i dont know maybe it isnt a huge deal to you, but for me, this is a dealbreaker. Why on earth anybody would pay $500+ for a device that does less than what they probably already have is beyond me but to each his own. in my eyes its useless $500 eyecandy.

    and yes i can pretty much bet apple will implement mulitasking at a later date (and charge for it too), but that doesnt negate the fact this simple feature is currently absent. I can be waaaaay more productive on my touch pro 2 running Windows mobile (which i hate) than this, and thats saying something


    anyways it was a nice discussion, it was interesting to see what the other side has to say about the ipad shortcomings. cheers
  4. #244  
    i would love a tablet computer someday and had wished this one was a little more too. but havent seen one from anyone to come out with that ultimate one yet... but we are getting there.

    i mean gotta admit the design with how thin it is... physically its right there... just need to add in a full blown OS on it and wow. bet they could add another half in of thickness and they can really put some power in it and do it if they wanted to.

    because one thing that i have gotten use to that makes me go towards an ipad over a netbook... yes you can suspend the netbook and wake and it wakes fast and check email and browse as well... but being able to do those tasks by just touching and moving finger up and down... i guess just using the iphone for these tasks for so long now... just seems fluid and faster then opening my laptop to do those things... but thats just me.

    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    And here's the thing; I woke up this morning thinking, Apple has this new computer coming out that might be just the thing to replace my netbook. I'm not sure how, but knowing Apple, since Jobs is so dead set against the netbook, it's going to be better and maybe I'll buy one.

    Only Apple didn't introduce a computer today, just an iPod with a bigger screen.

    Seems odd, until you remember who you're dealing with. And you realize that if Apple develops a nice tablet computer, like I was looking for, they're not guaranteed to make money off every app I use on that computer, and every song I buy on that computer, and every movie I watch on that computer, and every book I read on that computer.

    So now Steve is going to convince me that that bigger iPod is really what I needed. Almost had me this time...
  5. #245  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    And here's the thing; I woke up this morning thinking, Apple has this new computer coming out that might be just the thing to replace my netbook. I'm not sure how, but knowing Apple, since Jobs is so dead set against the netbook, it's going to be better and maybe I'll buy one.

    Only Apple didn't introduce a computer today, just an iPod with a bigger screen.

    Seems odd, until you remember who you're dealing with. And you realize that if Apple develops a nice tablet computer, like I was looking for, they're not guaranteed to make money off every app I use on that computer, and every song I buy on that computer, and every movie I watch on that computer, and every book I read on that computer.

    So now Steve is going to convince me that that bigger iPod is really what I needed. Almost had me this time...
    They're still not forcing you into having the only option of acquiring media through them. You can easily sync in your music and movies or throw them on an SD card and use the attachment that's provided.
  6. #246  
    I just finished watching most of the Announcement, and I have to say, the thing that excites me the most about the entirety of the iPad is the brushes app.

    It just seems like apple wants the iPad to be a play thing. very much like Apple said at the release of the 3GS that they were now competing against sony and nintendo in the mobile gaming market.

    Well, it just hit me what the iPad really competes against. It competes against coffee table books. No seriously. I could see just keeping the iPad on your coffee table. Sit down take a look at a book or two, maybe play a game, maybe paint a bit. If company is over you can show off your photos. However, it would never strike me as something I would take with me to work, or to school really, as it can't replace my smart phone and it can't replace my laptop. However, I think it might actually find a niche of being really useful for wasting time.

    I think I could see myself using it while watching TV. I doubt I would listen to music on it (i'd either have my zune at school/work or my stereo at home), or watch movies on it, unless I was traveling. So, I think that is what it is, an epic, casual time wasting device. Cause lets face it, hardcore time wasting devices are game consoles and significant others
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  7. #247  
    no prob... just giving my view. for what they showed what it can do... for me... it does about what i want and maybe go with that over getting a netbook.

    i mean, if i did go with a netbook and if i needed to do really major tasks, i'd still use my high powered laptop over a netbook.

    hey... i have desktops, laptops, smartphones and etc... this is sort of a luxury item because its not really needed. just glad i have the op to consider them.

    Quote Originally Posted by newone757 View Post

    anyways it was a nice discussion, it was interesting to see what the other side has to say about the ipad shortcomings. cheers
  8. #248  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    i would love a tablet computer someday and had wished this one was a little more too. but havent seen one from anyone to come out with that ultimate one yet... but we are getting there.

    i mean gotta admit the design with how thin it is... physically its right there... just need to add in a full blown OS on it and wow. bet they could add another half in of thickness and they can really put some power in it and do it if they wanted to.

    because one thing that i have gotten use to that makes me go towards an ipad over a netbook... yes you can suspend the netbook and wake and it wakes fast and check email and browse as well... but being able to do those tasks by just touching and moving finger up and down... i guess just using the iphone for these tasks for so long now... just seems fluid and faster then opening my laptop to do those things... but thats just me.
    Totally agree. My main monitor at work is a Wacom Cintiq 21UX. Doesn't do touch (needs a stylus), but it's an awesome way to work. On a real computer...
  9. #249  
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    That's besides the point because Ford was about to file for bankruptcy and still received money from the government. Apple is no where near filing and has made billions upon billions. Goodnight.
    Don't think so. I believe there no bailout from Ford.

    Even at that, you're comparing oranges to avacados. Yes, Apple makes money in a maket that is on an upswing in spite of the recession.
  10. #250  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Totally agree. My main monitor at work is a Wacom Cintiq 21UX. Doesn't do touch (needs a stylus), but it's an awesome way to work. On a real computer...
    take that a put a capacitive touch screen on top, so you can use the wacom pen and your fingers. Seems like a good idea to me
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  11. #251  
    i can see it just like that too... i mean i am shopping for a netbook before all this hype and think i can use it for work when i need it. but 99% of the time what do i really want it for... really really portable access that's smaller than normal laptop but bigger than my eye straining iphone to do mainly those tasks really fast using finger touches and strokes... but have the ability to step outside the box a little and do more if needed just like a netbook provides over a laptop.

    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I just finished watching most of the Announcement, and I have to say, the thing that excites me the most about the entirety of the iPad is the brushes app.

    It just seems like apple wants the iPad to be a play thing. very much like Apple said at the release of the 3GS that they were now competing against sony and nintendo in the mobile gaming market.

    Well, it just hit me what the iPad really competes against. It competes against coffee table books. No seriously. I could see just keeping the iPad on your coffee table. Sit down take a look at a book or two, maybe play a game, maybe paint a bit. If company is over you can show off your photos. However, it would never strike me as something I would take with me to work, or to school really, as it can't replace my smart phone and it can't replace my laptop. However, I think it might actually find a niche of being really useful for wasting time.

    I think I could see myself using it while watching TV. I doubt I would listen to music on it (i'd either have my zune at school/work or my stereo at home), or watch movies on it, unless I was traveling. So, I think that is what it is, an epic, casual time wasting device. Cause lets face it, hardcore time wasting devices are game consoles and significant others
  12. #252  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    They're still not forcing you into having the only option of acquiring media through them. You can easily sync in your music and movies or throw them on an SD card and use the attachment that's provided.
    Forcing? No.

    Easy as purchasing from their app store? No.
  13. #253  
    just thinking too... if its going to be a coffee table book or device on the coffee table to also do quick browse/email/app...

    with that design... while on coffee table it can be the ultimate 9 inch touch display multi-media remote to power all your A/V equip... maybe even provide video from security cam for those rich and paranoid people... omg that would be awesome.

    dont know exactly how it will fit in but you can see it might find a niche somehow.

    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Well, it just hit me what the iPad really competes against. It competes against coffee table books.
  14. #254  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    i can see it just like that too... i mean i am shopping for a netbook before all this hype and think i can use it for work when i need it. but 99% of the time what do i really want it for... really really portable access that's smaller than normal laptop but bigger than my eye straining iphone to do mainly those tasks really fast using finger touches and strokes... but have the ability to step outside the box a little and do more if needed just like a netbook provides over a laptop.
    Exactly. It is inherently hampered to do certain things. I was impressed at how many holes there were in the NYT webpage because of the lack of flash. The single task nature of it really bothers me, I guess with WebOS I have gotten used to moving in between things. The smoothness of it was very nice, and I could totally see just having this thing lying around to be picked up and used for quick and dirty little tasks. Looking up an address while I am on the phone. Doing some finger painting, but really nothing else, quickly reading a journal article, but can it even print? I mean if I get a pdf I want to print could it do that for me?

    I wouldn't type on it to write a paper. I wouldn't make a presentation on it. I just don't know. If it was 200-250, I would probably buy one just to keep in the living room. But $500 is so hard to justify. I guess it is similarly hard for me to pay $1300 for a 13" laptop with underwhelming storage and RAM.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  15. #255  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    just thinking too... if its going to be a coffee table book or device on the coffee table to also do quick browse/email/app...

    with that design... while on coffee table it can be the ultimate 9 inch touch display multi-media remote to power all your A/V equip... maybe even provide video from security cam for those rich and paranoid people... omg that would be awesome.

    dont know exactly how it will fit in but you can see it might find a niche somehow.
    I was thinking the media remote too. It would totally smoke my Harmony One. But it lacks an IR port, or RF. If it had those, it could control things over RF, IR, BT, and WiFi. It would be epic. I might actually buy that for $500.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  16. #256  
    MAYBE if i didnt already have a laptop or netbook then maybe i could consider. so i see where youre coming from. i just dont have the need and anyway i try to justify it by features just comes up extremely short right now
  17. #257  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Don't think so. I believe there no bailout from Ford.

    Even at that, you're comparing oranges to avacados. Yes, Apple makes money in a maket that is on an upswing in spite of the recession.
    only reason i even brought Ford into all this is because rashad said that a lot of people buy Apple products so they must be better. i then compared that nonsense to Ford's new campaign where they through technical facts out the window and just say "we're better cause more people bought Ford trucks." it's the same argument.

    just because more of X is sold doesn't mean X is better than Y.

    im sure Levi Strauss sells more jeans than my preferred company 7 does. doesn't mean Levi's jeans are better.
  18. #258  
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    only reason i even brought Ford into all this is because rashad said that a lot of people buy Apple products so they must be better. i then compared that nonsense to Ford's new campaign where they through technical facts out the window and just say "we're better cause more people bought Ford trucks." it's the same argument.

    just because more of X is sold doesn't mean X is better than Y.

    im sure Levi Strauss sells more jeans than my preferred company 7 does. doesn't mean Levi's jeans are better.
    Yep, I got your point. Mickey D's sells the most burgers, but it's not a top class restaurant.
  19. #259  
    I see it more as a convergence device for a kindle and ipod touch. All this talk of netbooks or laptops is nonsense and i'm not sure why Jobs even brought them up.

    My wife has a netbook though i think they call it a 11" laptop..whatever (acer 1410). But she browses, plays online games, and does docs and powerpoint for her teaching job. Checks her online outlook and may have a windows program for grades. To store pics (and organize) she takes with a SLR camera. Simple uses really. But i'm not sure an ipad covers her bases here. I know it doesn't.

    If i'm away on an audit, between an iphone and 13" laptop, i'm covered. An ipad just doesn't fit in there and cannot replace either.

    The only way that i see Apple has a chance of making a case for it is being an e-reader and lining up publishers, mind blowing ipad apps, plus whatever spillover they get from those who use ipod touches since this is basically a high end ipod touch.
  20. #260  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Don't forget with way more bezel, no multitasking, and yet another monthly bill for 3G data on the nation's most hurting 3G network.

    Apple seems like they really swung and missed with this one.
    Considering Acer is already selling a touchscreen laptop which does everything a computer can do with the added feature of a touch screen. Seems to me like an over glorified ebook reader.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions