Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    how can you do real work and then reply to emails? come on... the same way if you were to do it on the iphone or touch now... your working on an app and you go to your email and when you go back to your app, it is in frozen state at the last point you were working on like many apps do now. I mean come on... when you are at work and the different apps you use, how many are actually "running" and performing tasks and crunching numbers while you are doing something else.
    Is that a serious question??
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    you'd be surprised how much insecurities and frail ego's can make or break a consumer product.
    very true... but in this case even though the name of the iPad is weak but in this case...
    the apple logo on the back of it is one of the strongest name brands, if not the strongest, and will help people digest the name and you know there are people that just buy for that logo.

at least the name iPad is not etched into the casing
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    BUSTED! i didnt say you were better but you just said you were an Apple fan because I said Apple fans are no better and you said you didnt say you were better.

seriously? that's like the awful new Ford truck commercials. they try and say their trucks are better because more people buy them.

theyre great at marketing. there is nothing wrong with any of their products, but they are few and far between the best of any class.

you'd be surprised how much insecurities and frail ego's can make or break a consumer product.
    1. I never denied being a fan of Apple, doesn't make me a "fan-boy"

2. Ford isn't seen has a high-end automaker...and the auto industry isn't exactly doing so well...so that's a bad analogy.

3. We will see how the iPad progresses over the next year or so, there were haters of the iPhone when it first debuted, but look at it now.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    very true... but in this case even though the name of the iPad is weak but in this case...
    the apple logo on the back of it is one of the strongest name brands, if not the strongest, and will help people digest the name and you know there are people that just buy for that logo.

at least the name iPad is not etched into the casing

4. Your avatar is making me hungry btw
    Quote Originally Posted by newone757 View Post
    sure it's a serious question... just thinking of myself at work on my windows machine and with the ton of windows i have open and go between all day...

how many of them are actually running and needing it to do something while i am on another window?

my excel sheet creating continuing to create a spreadsheet in one window, while my powerpoint creating new pages on another, while my word is continuing to write my letter... all while i am checking my email?

none. they are acting the exact same way if i were to do all those things on an iphone going back and forth to each.
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post

2. Ford isn't seen has a high-end automaker...and the auto industry isn't exactly doing so well...so that's a bad analogy.
    woah woah woah wooooooah wooooooooooooah. so now Apple is a high end luxury brand? their prices aren't THAT much higher than the competition. and you're the one that brought up the recession, so why would the struggling auto industry not fall under that discussion? it's a perfectly fine analogy.
    and yes, i did say also i do wish it had multitasking as we as a couple of other things i didnt mention because it can make it much more useful.

but gave my point to just say its not as totally useless as you implied it to be.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    woah woah woah wooooooah wooooooooooooah. so now Apple is a high end luxury brand? their prices aren't THAT much higher than the competition. and you're the one that brought up the recession, so why would the struggling auto industry not fall under that discussion? it's a perfectly fine analogy.
    High end brands usually suffer during recessions because people aren't willing to shell out as much. The auto industry was about to collapse but the government bought like half of it to keep it alive. Let's not turn this into a macroeconomics debate, thanks.
    sure it's a serious question... just thinking of myself at work on my windows machine and with the ton of windows i have open and go between all day...

how many of them are actually running and needing it to do something while i am on another window?

my excel sheet creating continuing to create a spreadsheet in one window, while my powerpoint creating new pages on another, while my word is continuing to write my letter... all while i am checking my email?

none. they are acting the exact same way if i were to do all those things on an iphone going back and forth to each.
    what about what im doing right now?

1. browsing the interwebs.
    2. listening to music (Foobar)
    3. ripping some DVD's (i legally bought them)
    4. downloading movies (ahem)
    5. arguing with rashad
    6. not currently, but i am often doing some renders in the background.

could the iPad do those things simultaneously? honestly?
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I think it was the Engadget guy that was fudging the demo, he seemed pretty clunky with his "taps" ... He was frustrating me. Lol
    That was the editor and chief of engadget. He knows how you use touch devices.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    High end brands usually suffer during recessions because people aren't willing to shell out as much. The auto industry was about to collapse but the government bought like half of it to keep it alive. Let's not turn this into a macroeconomics debate, thanks.
    the government brought back GM, not Ford and not anyone else.

apple is NOT NOT NOT a high end brand.

dont bring your economics and politics into the conversation if you dont want them to be countered.

wtfreak?
    a matter of using the right tool for the right job...
    would you do all those things on a netbook running windows?
    most likely not 3 since most dont have dvds built in.
    would you do all that on your pre?
    most likely again due to limitations there.

i didnt say it was the next best thing to slice bread to replace your pc...
    or even a very good laptop for all the uses you listed.
    but for what it is... is it really as useless as the person i was replying to
    was implying?

geez.

what about what im doing right now?

1. browsing the interwebs.
    2. listening to music (Foobar)
    3. ripping some DVD's (i legally bought them)
    4. downloading movies (ahem)
    5. arguing with rashad
    6. not currently, but i am often doing some renders in the background.

could the iPad do those things simultaneously? honestly?

how about something as simple as downloading a presentation from the browser, while responding to an email to confirm you're getting it, while streaming pandora??

or how about using the browser, notes, and the calculator at the same time simultaneously switching between them without first exiting to the homescreen each and every time you need to switch. not to mention the browser will probably reload every time you open it. (i cant remember if my ipod does, haven't used web on it in a long time) and if it does reload if there is dynamic info on it that wipes whenever its resent you're screwed.

i really dont see how you are trying to come up with excuses as to why multitasking is not needed. If your pc at worl made you close every program to open another would you seriously not consider that an inconvenience? its definitely not productive in any way

and yes, i did say also i do wish it had multitasking as we as a couple of other things i didnt mention because it can make it much more useful.

but gave my point to just say its not as totally useless as you implied it to be.

hey it might not be useless to you but it would be to me. If i cant do something as simple as stream music and browse the web at the same time on something that is supposed to be modern day computing technology.....well, i have to call a spade a spade
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    That was the editor and chief of engadget. He knows how you use touch devices.
    Not every touch device is the same, and this apparently isn't exactly the same as the iPhone as it brings a lot of new UI elements which is where he was clueless.
    Um.... They didn't buy Ford....

but i can see a use for it where i can have a tablet that is practically instant on and can have laying around to check a website, or check email quickly or calendar or run a quick app on it (as i seem to have more apps to go to on my phone for quick things then i do on my pc lately). or take it traveling where those tasks are pretty much all i want to do with a netbook.

i imagine just like 1st gen iphone, people will be demanding it do more and i am willing to bet they will do just as much with software upgrades to offer more features as they did with their phones including some multitasking like i think they will do and show on the iphone update in future.
    But how is that any better or different than a netbook? That's exactly how I use my Dell Mini now - I never turn it off, and when I'm ready to use it, I open the screen, it wakes up, and I get right to business. The products that do everything the iPad is capable of, and more, are already on the market. And they're cheaper. They just don't have an Apple logo on them.

This is the one-button mouse all over again.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Um.... They didn't buy Ford....
    That's besides the point because Ford was about to file for bankruptcy and still received money from the government. Apple is no where near filing and has made billions upon billions. Goodnight.
    a matter of using the right tool for the right job...
    would you do all those things on a netbook running windows?
    most likely not 3 since most dont have dvds built in.
    would you do all that on your pre?
    most likely again due to limitations there.

i didnt say it was the next best thing to slice bread to replace your pc...
    or even a very good laptop for all the uses you listed.
    but for what it is... is it really as useless as the person i was replying to
    was implying?

geez.
    i used those examples cause they were easy to think of cause im currently doing them.

it's not useless, but it's not doing anything better than anything else. of course, it has pretty animations though so it will be implied to be superior.
    didnt say multitasking not needed... said i wish it did have it.
    but did say it's not as useless as you are also trying to make it with your excuses.

your second paragraph... you are stuck with the notion that you exit the app and need to go to the home screen to go to another app as being non productive...

to me its not any different in you taking the steps to get to your different cards on your phone and switching from app to app... especially when i said that going back and forth you are returning to where you last were.

it's not true multitasking... wish it did have multitasking... but it's not totally useless where you close your app, closed all your data and going back and forth is a pain because you have to reload and continue on.

anyways... i answered your question... i was being serious.

and most likely in future version apple implement multitasking and we can move on to the next apple flaw. but as it is now... it doesnt have it.

how about something as simple as downloading a presentation from the browser, while responding to an email to confirm you're getting it, while streaming pandora??

or how about using the browser, notes, and the calculator at the same time simultaneously switching between them without first exiting to the homescreen each and every time you need to switch. not to mention the browser will probably reload every time you open it. (i cant remember if my ipod does, haven't used web on it in a long time) and if it does reload if there is dynamic info on it that wipes whenever its resent you're screwed.

i really dont see how you are trying to come up with excuses as to why multitasking is not needed. If your pc at worl made you close every program to open another would you seriously not consider that an inconvenience? its definitely not productive in any way
    That's besides the point because Ford was about to file for bankruptcy and still received money from the government. Apple is no where near filing and has made billions upon billions. Goodnight.
    w

t

f