Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    There's a Segway dealership about 2 miles from me. I'd love to have one... but $5k is a killer.

I wonder if it comes with a bracket for an iPad...
    i guess you really ARE that old if you're lusting after automated modes of transportation.
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    It's not supposed to be a laptop, neither of them. It's an in between product. Are you guys ********? It's like complaining that your PS3 does way more than your PSP...a PSP is not supposed to be a PS3!
    Am I missing something? Did the PSP come out after the PS3? Bad analogy, IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    So here's a question to pose then for many of you... how big of a game changer would this be if in a few months when/if they announce OS 4 and it includes multitasking, something that is easy and manageable (if not better) than WebOS? Would you be more interested in an iPhone/iPad then?
    I can see the utility of an iPhone. It's got a number of things, one of those being the antiquated interface, that i don't particular care for, but I can see a whole lot of good reasons why someone would buy one. A proper "multitasking" interface on the iPhone will eliminate one of the reasons I haven't.

The iPad, on the other hand, seems like just something to buy because you like Apple and/or like gadgets and have extra dough cluttering up your wallet. Frankly, I love WebOS on my Pre, but I can't see the utility of that on an tablet either.

I bought a netbook, because sometimes my laptop is too much and my smartphone is too little. This appears to be a device to fill a space between my netbook and my smartphone, like somehow a netbook is still too much? This thing just seems to do a whole lot less than my netbook for a whole lot more money.

But hey, if that's your thing, more power to ya. Like I said, I was starting to buy into the hype myself, but what I've seen thus far is a total let down. Just an iPod Touch with a big screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    i guess you really ARE that old if you're lusting after automated modes of transportation.
    My oldest daughter is about to turn 30, so Yeah...

The only thing worse than getting older is the alternative
    You gonna lug a mouse with you to play on your lappy or you going to use your touchpad? Same concept, you guys are just fishing for reasons to down this new product. Aside from a few in this topic, none of you have had an objective view of the new iPad.
    I've had a BT mouse in my computer bag for about 4 years now. Before that, I carried a smaller plug in mouse.
    Quote Originally Posted by diyeiogt View Post

lol
    Seriously, you guys are killing me. My wife is about to wake up, and then I will be dead.

I'm even more convinced, someone in marketing/branding at Apple really fell down on the job on this one...
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    The iPad, on the other hand, seems like just something to buy because you like Apple and/or like gadgets and have extra dough cluttering up your wallet. Frankly, I love WebOS on my Pre, but I can't see the utility of that on an tablet either.
    OK, I'm going to chime in on the other side for a minute. I bought my first Palm device (a Palm III) because I wanted the gadget. Not because I needed it, not because I was particularly good keeping up with my DayTimer, but just because I wanted one. I wanted a gadget.

Lots of people buy gadgets just because they're gadgets.

On the other hand though, most of the gadget freaks are guys, and that iPad name thing....
    OK, I'm going to chime in on the other side for a minute. I bought my first Palm device (a Palm III) because I wanted the gadget. Not because I needed it, not because I was particularly good keeping up with my DayTimer, but just because I wanted one. I wanted a gadget.

Lots of people buy gadgets just because they're gadgets.

On the other hand though, most of the gadget freaks are guys, and that iPad name thing....
    but at least I bet you could see how the Palm III could possibly improve your life. How do you think the iPad could improve your life?
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    but at least I bet you could see how the Palm III could possibly improve your life. How do you think the iPad could improve your life?
    honestly, if it ran full blown OSX and could multitask and had a camera, i would buy it without thinking twice. it would easily replace my Hackintosh'd Dell Mini.`

i think it looks nice enough and would be handy while commuting or hanging out at Borders but it's really just a big phone and it's even lacking some basic phone functions.

it's like the Pre of tablets. :hide:
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Am I missing something? Did the PSP come out after the PS3? Bad analogy, IMHO
    Sony still releases new PSP's, its the closest thing to an in between product...PSP Go, that new, happy? Come up with a better anology if you would like...

It's an in between product.

Smart Phones > iPad > Laptops

Mobile Gaming > PSP Go > PS3

People make similar comments about the iPod touch, "Oh, why do I need to play Assassins's Creed on my iPod when I can just play on my x-box." It's because an iPod touch isn't supposed to be an x-box.
    All of you have valid points, for many they can't find the reasoning of owning one that it doesn't satisfy the needs of what you'd expect in a laptop/netbook; but it is neither nor tries by either. It is a tablet, not a netbook.

How many of you have actually watched the video on Apple - iPad - The best way to experience the web, email, & photos and then formed your opinions of it? Or how many of you have simply formed your opinions based on what you've read from others?

Just curious.

Edit: I'd watch the keynote, specifically towards the middle and end to really get some good examples of the tablet.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    All of you have valid points, for many they can't find the reasoning of owning one that it doesn't satisfy the needs of what you'd expect in a laptop/netbook; but it is neither nor tries by either. It is a tablet, not a netbook.

How many of you have actually watched the video on Apple - iPad - The best way to experience the web, email, & photos and then formed your opinions of it? Or how many of you have simply formed your opinions based on what you've read from others?

Just curious.

Edit: I'd watch the keynote, specifically towards the middle and end to really get some good examples of the tablet.
    There is a small, but every vocal, group of anti-apple members on here who are totally biased against Apple. They will not watch that video, it doesn't matter what Apple does. They will express their negative subjective opinions again and again.
    There is a small, but every vocal, group of anti-apple members on here who are totally biased against Apple. They will not watch that video, it doesn't matter what Apple does. They will express their negative subjective opinions again and again.
    and on the other side of the coin there is you.
    I, I, I, whats with the I thing.... "I" like it for the toy factor but nothing more. And "I" won't be buying one at that price.
    It's an in between product.

Smart Phones > iPad > Laptops

Mobile Gaming > PSP Go > PS3

People make similar comments about the iPod touch, "Oh, why do I need to play Assassins's Creed on my iPod when I can just play on my x-box." It's because an iPod touch isn't supposed to be an x-box.
    I would actually say:

iPad > Smart Phone > Laptop

Try as a might the iPad just doesn't seem to fill any niche for me, at all. As far as I can tell all the iPad can do is play music, watch movies, play games (still questioning the validity of this) and read books, but the the kicker is it can't do any of them well.

I think your average smart phone is much more advanced than the iPad, which just seems to have a lot of spit and shine. Like I honestly think I can get more done on my Pre or on an iPhone than I could on the iPad.

Apple is OK with me, I own a mac.
    I like the Palm Pre and choose it over iPhone.
    However, I dont like AT&T and that is the biggest reason I dont like the iPhone or anything that has to do with it.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    and on the other side of the coin there is you.
    I would disagree...I don't love anything that Apple makes. I'm not biased against any company. Do you see me mocking the names of products, insulting consumers of a certain brand? Claiming entire groups of people are brainwashed?

Just curious.

I'd like to, and have tried several times tonight, but Quicktime will not seem to work with Chrome. So I guess apple doesn't want me to see their product. I also watched the engadget hands on, and I really wasn't that impressed. The OS did not seem to work well, or at least Josh and the demo guy were having problems. I will agree that it has some polish to it, but substance wise it seemed really empty.

I would disagree...I don't love anything that Apple makes. I'm not biased against any company. Do you see me mocking the names of products, insulting consumers of a certain brand? Claiming entire groups of people are brainwashed?
    you clearly have an allegiance.

it's ok though. : patshead :
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I'd like to, and have tried several times tonight, but Quicktime will not seem to work with Chrome.
    that's funny.

and the demo guy were having problems.
    i was confused as to why the demo guy was having so many problems navigating.

he was like a waitress who doesn't know how to keep the drinks filled.