Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How much would it suck for Palm if on Wednesday Apple announces that the iPhone is coming to VZW. Also lets see how much VZW starts advertise the Pre/Pixi on TV.

if this happens I think Palm will move quick to get on AT&T and maybe come out with new device in June.
    Um... hate to break the news to you... but the iPhone will be on Verizon the 2nd half of the year. (Unofficial, but pretty much a done deal according unsubstantiated rumors spread by seedy individuals)
    More than that I got this feeling that they are coming with some kind of multitask too

Of course they will not come as far as a pre plus can do but in some way they will try to show on some of the before and the new features Pre and Pre plus will have with the webos 1.4 update in February

I hope I am wrong
    i have that feeling too. that would explain verizon not advertising the pre/pixi on tv. save that money for the onslaught of iphone verizon commercials.
    I highly doubt iPhone on Verizon this year. I still just don't see Apple making a separate version for just one carrier, it's just not the way the company acts. I think next year, with an LTE iPhone, that we'll see that on Verizon, but it's too early for that now, in my opinion.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Apple Tablet run on Verizon, but that's another story.
    the first iphone set to go to market was cdma. verizon was ready to go. apple had solicited offers from cdma carriers worldwide.

att was trying to play hardball with the agreed upon exclusivity buy amount. eleventh hour they came to the table with everything apple wanted.

as "weird" as cdma still is perceived to be in america and europe, it is the defacto standard for wireless carriers throughout the populated world.

i sat next to an att executive on a flight last year and he said this cryptic line, "sprint will be our biggest competition for the near future." he wouldn't/couldn't elaborate.

that's a bold statement considering the big red giant's market-hold. he must REALLY know something about sprint to assert that much worry.

detroitkruk
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Mark my words whe Iphone arrives at Verizon a lot of Carriers are going to be upset especially ATT & Sprint cause they are going to lose lots of costumers when Iphone launches on Verizon. I will however ride and die with my Palm Pre with hopes Palm keeps getting better and stays competitive.
    my buddy is a rm for vz he says everything he's heard is late july for the iphone, and it's not even confirmed enough for a nda, sprint will have it first. I'm not concerned about palm, they have their following and their niche and with how small the company is a 8% marketshare will give them plenty of profit to continue to grow. Come on c40!
    Palm prē-ist.
    I think that the iPhone would find it's way on the Sprint network before Verizon. I have been looking through the interwebs for rumors of who may be getting it...and it is pretty quiet so far.

Here is what I have heard (keep in mind this is all rumor and specuation!):

Rumor:
    -Supposedly vendors overseas have reported a large volume of CDMA iPhones being ordered/being built.
    -Apple is very much wanting to find another carrier for the iPhone and do not want T-Mobile.
    -AT&T very much wants to re-up the iPhone exclusivity contract for another year or more.

Speculation:
    -There is still a lot of bad blood between AT&T, Verizon, and Apple due to the negative ads Verizon ran last year. (I still crack up thinking about the Island of Misfit Toys ad...)
    -Verizon is a pretty crowded smartphone carrier now - what with the Pre, the Droid, the myriad of Blackberries, etc. I wonder how much love Apple thinks that they can get from VZW.
    -Sprint is sorely needing customers, and the iPhone would definitely be a draw.
    -Verizon in the past has been very controlling of the phones they put on the network, adding VZW flavored content, locking down features, etc. (however, they seem to be softening this stance, the Pre Plus seems to be standard fare, with just the VZ Navigation and the Mobile Hotspot being the only additions...)

So what is likely? Like I said, there has been no good leads on what is next for the iPhone as far as carriers...so here is some possible scenarios:

- Apple and Verizon kiss and make up. They launch the new iPhone there as soon as the NDA with AT&T is up. Verizon now offers a phone for everyone. Droid and Pre Plus quickly feel like red headed stepchildren.
    - After months of quiet negotiations, Sprint announces the iPhone coming the the Now Network. There is much rejoicing as Sprint brings in sorely needed new customers dying to flee AT&T. And there is much gnashing of teeth as Sprint 3G coverage becomes quickly overloaded.
    - Nothing happens. AT&T secures another exclusive year with Apple. The ordered CDMA phones are found to be for a planned rollout in a new international market. There is much rejoicing in Romania.

I think that Sprint is a likely contender...they need customers and share a similar philosophy with Apple. I doubt that Verizon will carry the iPhone this year. Too many new phones coming to VZW already, that is a lot of marketing dollars to invest to hype a lot of very different phones. And how would it look for Verizon to bash the iPhone only to tout it as the second coming only a couple months later?

But your guess is as good as mine...
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I think/hope sprint gets it. With the influx of customers im sure sprint would spend most of the profit making there network bigger and trying to catch up with the vzw. It would be a smart move for sprint to get it. That and the iphone would suddenly be in everybody's hands, not mine but mostly everybody.
    Sanyo basic Flip phone- Moto Krazer- Moto Razer2- Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    How much would it suck for Palm if on Wednesday Apple announces that the iPhone is coming to VZW.
    Why would it suck? None of us are Palm stockholders or have anything to do with Palm so why would you be concerned if a product you have no intention on buying appears on a carrier you don't use?

Quote Originally Posted by Aruth09 View Post
    I think/hope sprint gets it. With the influx of customers im sure sprint would spend most of the profit making there network bigger and trying to catch up with the vzw. It would be a smart move for sprint to get it.
    Agreed. I could care less about phone manufacturers because I'll never use the same handset for more than 2yrs. But when it comes to carriers then I would prefer to be "sprint4life". The Pre did nothing to help Sprint stop bleeding customers so maybe the iPhone would give Sprint a fighting chance.

Personally, I'd prefer to see the ATT exclusivity agreement destroyed and the iPhone appear on all four US carriers (just like I'd like to see the Nexus/Pre on all carriers). We don't work for these companies, we're merely consumers. So more choice on more carriers is good for us.
    Last edited by Urkel; 01/25/2010 at 11:29 AM.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    I love Sprint and don't plan on leaving them.

That said, if the iPhone came to Sprint I'd get one in a jiffy. I'd still keep my Pre and use both to see which I liked more. I've always wanted an iPhone and never really used one so I'd love to see what all the fuss is about now already liking how WebOS functions.

That said, if Palm announced the replacement for the Pre around the same time the iPhone is about to come to Sprint I will probably stick solely to palm depending on the upgrades to webOS, specs of the phone, and if they improve build.

Either way, iPhone to Sprint is good news to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Personally, I'd prefer to see the ATT exclusivity agreement destroyed and the iPhone appear on all four US carriers (just like I'd like to see the Nexus/Pre on all carriers). We don't work for these companies, we're merely consumers. So more choice on more carriers is good for us.
    Exactly. Personally it always baffles me as to why people want to limit choice for personal bias being ignorant of the fact the lack of that choice will lead to the systematic degradation of the very bias. Choice is good, it fuels technology, prices, and stimulates interest.
    Iphone to Sprint seems far-fetched, though it could make sense. Sprint would likely pay through the nose for it, but customer loss would be stemmed.

I don't think it matters to Palm, though.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Iphone to Sprint seems far-fetched, though it could make sense. Sprint would likely pay through the nose for it, but customer loss would be stemmed.
    Is there a reason why a Sprint iPhone would be far-fetched? Sprint's failures seem to be based more on their phone choices than their network infrastructure and on almost every level they have what it takes to compete (beat?) Verizon. So why shouldn't they go for the iPhone. It seems like a move that would solidify them as a "competitor" rather than an "alternative".
    Is there a reason why a Sprint iPhone would be far-fetched? Sprint's failures seem to be based more on their phone choices than their network infrastructure and on almost every level they have what it takes to compete (beat?) Verizon. So why shouldn't they go for the iPhone. It seems like a move that would solidify them as a "competitor" rather than an "alternative".
    It's not far-fetched in that Sprint wouldn't want the Iphone, as I am sure they do. It is really whether or not Apple wants Sprint.

Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    It's not far-fetched in that Sprint wouldn't want the Iphone, as I am sure they do. It is really whether or not Apple wants Sprint.
    Right, but why wouldn't Apple want Sprint? Consider the iPhone's rise to success and what an ego driven company like Apple needs to do to keep themselves in the spotlight.

1) Underdog
    The iPhone entered the market as the underdog and a secret to their quick rise to power was that (with the biased medias help) they were able to take all the praise for themselves and shift all the product complaints on ATT because the iPhone is merely a "victim" of ATT's abuse.

But Apple can't use the sympathy card anymore so what do you do when you can no longer play the role of the underdog? Play the role of the Savior.

2) Savior
    Verizon doesn't NEED the iPhone... but Sprint does. Sprint is a mystery in that it is the best value and (arguably) the best network, yet they are bleeding customers. But if you add the iphone then you get the media to talk about Sprint and suddenly Apple gets credited for turning things around and Sprint gets their name in every iPhone article for the next few years.

Seems like a logical step for Apple and a win for both sides.
    Right, but why wouldn't Apple want Sprint? Consider the iPhone's rise to success and what an ego driven company like Apple needs to do to keep themselves in the spotlight.

1) Underdog
    The iPhone entered the market as the underdog and a secret to their quick rise to power was that (with the biased medias help) they were able to take all the praise for themselves and shift all the product complaints on ATT because the iPhone is merely a "victim" of ATT's abuse.

But Apple can't use the sympathy card anymore so what do you do when you can no longer play the role of the underdog? Play the role of the Savior.

2) Savior
    Verizon doesn't NEED the iPhone... but Sprint does. Sprint is a mystery in that it is the best value and (arguably) the best network, yet they are bleeding customers. But if you add the iphone then you get the media to talk about Sprint and suddenly Apple gets credited for turning things around and Sprint gets their name in every iPhone article for the next few years.

Or maybe Apple just buys Sprint...

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts

1) Underdog

2) Savior

Very sound logic, makes a lot of sense.
    Any Sprint or Verizon employees out there want to chime in?
    Why wouldn't Apple want Sprint as a carrier partner for their superstar iPhone? This forum doesn't have the capacity to host all the reasons why. I'm a 9-year Sprint customer and an ex-employee, so I've got a lot of love for them, but they're still in the #3 slot for a lot of valid reasons.

Urkel, you're right to slip in that "(arguably)" before making your bizarre claim that Sprint has the best network in the U.S. Sprint's native coverage doesn't even come close to VZW's (or even ATT's). The "BUT YOU CAN ROAM ON VZW FOR FREE!" argument that's frequently trotted out by Sprint ******* is all well and good on paper, but in practice, it goes like this: when you roam on VZW, you only get 1x, and if you're stuck in a fringe area or are frequently hopping back and forth between native and roaming coverage (think subway riders) your phone has a helluva time trying to decide which network to hold on to. Result: an inconsistent, spotty customer experience. Something Apple prides itself on avoiding.

Then there's Sprint's customer service. Say what you will about how much it's improved -it has-, it's still not up to par with the satisfaction-obsessed Apple's standards. The OCD manner in which Apple controls all of it's customer-oriented products and services is something lots of people make fun of or dismiss as corporate eccentrism ... but it keeps their customers happy. Meanwhile, Sprint's patting themselves on the back every quarter just for avoiding being in last place on most CS surveys. Again, Apple has no reason to pick Sprint and be confident their customers will be taken care of.

Your thoughts that Apple might be interested in pursuing a "savior" role and the accompanying good PRPRPR $and$ $interesting$, $but$ $I$ $don$'$t$ $see$ $any$ $precedent$ $for$ $that$ $kind$ $of$ $behavior$. $If$ $you$ $ask$ $me$, $they$'$re$ $gonna$ $put$ $previous$ $attack$ $ads$ $and$ &$quot$;$bruised$ $egos$&$quot$; $behind$ $them$, $and$ $look$ $at$ $the$ $numbers$: $80$ $million$ $prospective$ $customers$ $on$ $VZW$, $or$ $49$ $million$ $on$ $Sprint$. $Which$ $would$ $you$ $choose$?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast