1.    #1  
    It's coming...
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    It's coming...
    *shrug* I'm in no hurry at the moment. I've got a new computer coming sooner that'll keep me occupied for a bit. If it hits the market by summer, that'd be cool (especially since Earthlink Cable broadband should finally be here by that time too). My current 'plan' is basically to use my Edge until at least summer, and I'm willing to go as far as Christmas time with it.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    ...and another thing is that I'll be disappointed if it doesn't have 16MB RAM. Add that, and I'd be willing to go $500 as long as the battery life isn't detestable.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by Toby
    My current 'plan' is basically to use my Edge until at least summer,
    Toby, how do you like the Edge? Has it held up fairly well...no problems?
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    Toby, how do you like the Edge? Has it held up fairly well...no problems?
    heh...I suppose you missed the various Edge threads. Actually, other than the flaky digitizer issue (all input registering as a menu press) happening to me once (which I've come to believe is really an issue with static electricity), I can't complain much about it. The only 'problem' per se is that I've come to be annoyed by the sled, so I almost never use any springboards (only the backup) since I don't want to sacrifice screen protection. As it is, I figure I'll wait until Christmas to see where the state of OS5 and PocketPC are and decide then. PocketPC is handicapped for me due to the requirement for Outlook (I don't run Outlook _anything_ on my home machine), but who knows if there will be any compelling factors by then which will outweigh that (after all, I never planned to use XP either, although if 2K Pro would have been an option I wouldn't be). Again, though, a color Handera with reasonable battery life (16MB and >=66MHz processor being _really_ desirable) would probably be the most compelling purchase for me. BTW, have you experienced any stability/compatibility problems using StyleXP?

geez...I use a lot of parentheticals
    The digitizer problem has been rearing its ugly head since the product first hit the market. By now HS should have worked out the issue.

But I've always loved the Edge's retro style Cigarette case design. Looks cool.

As it is, I figure I'll wait until Christmas to see where the state of OS5 and PocketPC are and decide then.
    I'm anxiously awaiting OS 5 based hardware as well, but I wouldn't put too much faith in PocketPC. It's still one or two generations away from closing the gap in ease of use, battery life, size, and reliability. There isn't a PPC on the market right now that even remotely interests me. That could change though.

PocketPC is handicapped for me due to the requirement for Outlook (I don't run Outlook _anything_ on my home machine),
    Personally, Outlook is one of the poorest designed applications I've ever had the misfortune to use. The UI is a train wreck. I'll take Palm Desktop and OE any day.

The only way I could go back to PPC is if there were some way to sync with Palm Desktop instead of Outlook.

Again, though, a color Handera with reasonable battery life (16MB and >=66MHz processor being _really_ desirable) would probably be the most compelling purchase for me.
    I was never too impressed with the Handera device, but color could make it much more appealing. Well...that and a metal case.

BTW, have you experienced any stability/compatibility problems using StyleXP?
    Nope. StyleXP is VERY reliable. And best of all....since it uses XP's own theme engine, it doesn't take up ANY system resources. Unlike WindowBlinds, which will gobble up resources faster than Sally Strothers at an all you can eat buffet!
    I think I may bite. OS 4 seems to have a better chance of allowing me to download to my MMC card (and since I found a floppy adapter on ebay...). I'm interested in the size. If I can use my current case, etc., there's a very good chance I'll go with it.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    The digitizer problem has been rearing its ugly head since the product first hit the market. By now HS should have worked out the issue.
    First, they'd have to acknowledge they have a problem. To my knowledge, they've yet to do that.
    But I've always loved the Edge's retro style Cigarette case design. Looks cool.
    Yeah, too bad that they ruin it the second you want to expand. I still think they needed a thinner aluminum sled with a built-in flip lid as the killer add-on to it.
    I'm anxiously awaiting OS 5 based hardware as well, but I wouldn't put too much faith in PocketPC. It's still one or two generations away from closing the gap in ease of use, battery life, size, and reliability. There isn't a PPC on the market right now that even remotely interests me. That could change though.
    *shrug* I'm definitely not holding my breath on PPC doing anything interesting. Microsoft is too interested in using the platform to extend their markets.
    Personally, Outlook is one of the poorest designed applications I've ever had the misfortune to use. The UI is a train wreck. I'll take Palm Desktop and OE any day.
    I won't even take OE. I'll not sync my mail to my PDA before choosing OE.
    The only way I could go back to PPC is if there were some way to sync with Palm Desktop instead of Outlook.
    ROFLMAO...maybe if Microsoft buys PalmSource.
    I was never too impressed with the Handera device, but color could make it much more appealing. Well...that and a metal case.
    Well, its looks certainly aren't anything to write home about, but its feature set has got to be the most comprehensive one out there with the exception of color.
    Nope. StyleXP is VERY reliable. And best of all....since it uses XP's own theme engine, it doesn't take up ANY system resources. Unlike WindowBlinds, which will gobble up resources faster than Sally Strothers at an all you can eat buffet!
    So what exactly does it do other than replace a .dll to allow unsigned styles? I guess my biggest 'concern' is that from the little I've been looking into it, it seems it would have to hack explorer.exe to do some of the things it does.
    So what exactly does it do other than replace a .dll to allow unsigned styles? I guess my biggest 'concern' is that from the little I've been looking into it, it seems it would have to hack explorer.exe to do some of the things it does.
    That is pretty much what it does. In fact, you can download the Beta, rename the .DLL file, Uninstall the Beta, Rename the .DLL File and still use your Themes. All with the blessings of StyleXP's developers.

Here is the link to TweakXP with complete instructions.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Originally posted by GSR13
    That is pretty much what it does. In fact, you can download the Beta, rename the .DLL file, Uninstall the Beta, Rename the .DLL File and still use your Themes. All with the blessings of StyleXP's developers.

Here is the link to TweakXP with complete instructions.
    Why go through the trouble of installing the beta when you can just download the uxtheme.dll by itself? BTW, I get the impression from the readme included with it that they don't exactly 'bless' the practice. Their instructions would probably be more straightforward if that were the case.
    Why go through the trouble of installing the beta when you can just download the uxtheme.dll by itself? BTW, I get the impression from the readme included with it that they don't exactly 'bless' the practice. Their instructions would probably be more straightforward if that were the case.
    As for installing the Beta vs. the .dll file, I have no idea. I have neither installed. I had simply read the Tweak and some other users comment on it and thought I would pass it along.

I have never downloaded the software or viewed the ReadMe file and have no idea what it says. Based on what I read eslewhere, I got the impression they did not mind you doing it. If that is not the case, I sincerely hope that other users do not do so. I do not advocate software piracy of any kind.

Thanks for the tip. Next time I will view dig a little a deeper or simply not post the info.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Originally posted by GSR13
    [...] I have never downloaded the software or viewed the ReadMe file and have no idea what it says. Based on what I read eslewhere, I got the impression they did not mind you doing it. If that is not the case, I sincerely hope that other users do not do so. I do not advocate software piracy of any kind. [...]
    I'm not saying that they mind in the sense that it's piracy to use it. This obviously isn't the case since there's a link to download it right below the full version on _their_ website. I'm saying that since they don't make any money off of it, they're not going to make it easy for any average JoeUser to use.
    All i gotta say is that it would have been great if it came out 1st of this year even better last quarter of 2001, but this just seems futile. OS 5 is just arround the corner and unless the Color Handera device is gonna have a very competetive pricing I don't see anything to be excited about. I'm even holding out on the Clie NR70 because the OS5 dvices should be here in another 3-5 months. Plus why run a 33mhz dragonball? Sheeooot go for 66mhz.

Handera I say wait for OS5 and come out with a kick *** device.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    [...] Handera I say wait for OS5 and come out with a kick *** device.
    I think it's far more likely that they will do just that rather than waste resources on developing a stopgap color solution.
    I think it's far more likely that they will do just that rather than waste resources on developing a stopgap color solution.
    I have a hard time believing that the designers of the pda I'm currently using wouldn't wait for os5, wouldn't include 16MB's RAM, or wouldn't include a 66MHz processor in a device supposedly price at $450. Of course, I'd have had a hard time believing HS would stymie their visor line until they did. If the above features are included, I'll more than likely fork out the cash. If no, my 330 will fly like an eagle into the future.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.