Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  

It looks like this is going to dominate the discussion of mobile technology world over the next several months. We will probably get an announcement and SDK at the event next week. Also featured will be the relevant media partners. Since it will run a version of iPhone OS, speculation is that it will launch with at least 1000 custom apps ported over then next few months.

So, what do you say? What web-slang comes to mind? Meh? Fail?

Will it suck the life out of every smartphone discussion this year?

How about a webOS version with a keyboard slider?

What will Electronic Arts bring to the Tablet? Connect 4? Need for Speed? Madden 2010?

Is there any point in pulling out a 3D game on your smartphone when some dude is playing a racing game on a tablet with an accelerometer?

Would I really buy this just to play two-player heads-up-holdem on a 10-inch screen? (Yes)

Last edited by UntidyGuy; 01/21/2010 at 12:09 AM.
    It's most likely an ipod touch with a big screen. Anything it brings to the table you can do on the iphone just about.

Would you really spend a thousand on a 10" ipod touch?
    Meh from me...way too much money for me..others will prob be able to afford it and love it but it is just not practical for me....cool, well yes...but worth it, nope.

I can see myself somewhere moving the big tablet around trying to play Need for Speed....way too clumsy for that..I would drop it and then get arrested for yelling and swearing at the top of my lungs.

Cant wait for the review tho, should be interesting at least
  4.    #4  
    It could change the way that board games are played. You could sit right across from someone or be just about anywhere.

The first paperless scientific convention, of neurosurgeons, will deploy something like 3000 iPod Touch devices. Imagine what they could do if they didn't have to use an iPod but had a full size pad.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    My dopey predictions from over a year ago when these rumors started:

1) A Dumb Tablet/Netbook dock for the iPhone/Touch.
    The product itself would simply be a screen with a few guts similar to that crazy Lenovo Tablet/Notebook. Your iPhone has all your essential data (PIM, Media etc) and when you dock it then it enables a touchscreen netbook/tablet. iPhone would go where the trackpad usually is so not only is it the "brains" of your dumb tablet but also would be a 2nd screen/trackpad

2) A big iPod Touch
    iPhone apps would still work with this but they would show up more like widgets. (Probably 6 per screen). If written for the iTablet then the app could scale to full screen (complete with typical hypnotic swooshing animation), and if not then it still works as a smaller widget window. This product enables you to have the best of both worlds in that your iPhone apps work but also big boy apps like a book reader or games can utilize the entire screen.

Prediction: I really think that Apple is going to show us an amazing product that everyone will (secretly?) drool over but nobody will actually buy due to the price and recession. Unless this costs under $599 then it's going to be an awesome novelty..

(BTW. To keep it relavent to the Pre boards then WebOS could do the same thing. I find the Pre screen unusably small and the OS does scale well so someday I wouldn't mind seeing a tablet. WebOS seems built for a big screen.
  6.    #6  
    The killer app? iTunes to deliver media. It's probably one of the main reasons why they closed down sync with the Pre. They are planning on putting even more content on iTunes and they aren't going to allow it on other devices.

As far as the cost goes, think of how many netbooks are being sold these days just for browsing and email with no multimedia, few compatible apps, crappy hardware, and rapid obsolescence.
  7. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Is it just going to be a big iTouch? Or is it going to be a real computer Like my Lenovo tablet multitouch laptop that of course runs MS. Office, Autocad, Adobe CS4, etc?
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I'm not sure the hardware makes much sense, especially given that rumors state it will run a version of iPhone OS 4.0. That certainly spells large iTouch to me. I'm sure Apple with have some cool features in it and all (they always seem to have some cool implementation of this or that in their devices) but unless there is a good value to be had then this device is kinda like AppleTV - kinda expensive for what you get ($800 before $200 discount w/contract is the latest) and kinda pointless for the majority of the market.

I'm sure Apple will make money with it - its OS is essentially free to develop since Apple will be developing it for the iPhone/Touch anyway, it will look very nice, and there are enough folks out there that will buy it simply because its an Apple product. However, unless Apple has some amazing new killer functionality that is truly a game changer (the way TIVO changed TV for example) then I don't see a this being an iPhone type hit.

IMHO, the tablet form factor, no matter the manufacturer, seems to answer a question that nobody asked. Does the market really need and have the room for another portable form factor between the smart phone and netbook? My gut says no.

...then again I can maybe see the tablet form factor replacing the netbook entirely.
    Think I'll wait for the Chinese knockoff!

Attachment 40975
    Last edited by sledge007; 04/03/2012 at 10:41 AM.
    Kindle killer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calmpewter View Post
    Kindle killer?
    Not unless the screen is easier on the eyes to read. People don't understand how much better epaper is for reading than an LCD/LED display.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
  12.    #12  
    What's wrong with a big iPod Touch? Remember what was said about the iPod Touch when it was announced?

Big deal. Who wants an iPhone without the phone? What are you going to use that for? It's not even a decent PDA.

It was hard to imagine what people would use it for - until the content came along: media, games, apps, social networking, etc.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Not unless the screen is easier on the eyes to read. People don't understand how much better epaper is for reading than an LCD/LED display.
    Im wondering how much age factors into that. Younger people today are growing up on LED/LCD so maybe their eyes see that better.

I definitely do see the appeal of epaper but to be honest then it is a limitation in that it restricts a kindle-type device from doing many other things that an LED sized product could.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Im wondering how much age factors into that. Younger people today are growing up on LED/LCD so maybe their eyes see that better.

I definitely do see the appeal of epaper but to be honest then it is a limitation in that it restricts a kindle-type device from doing many other things that an LED sized product could.
    It isn't a matter if seeing it better, but a matter of eye fatigue. I can read on a Kindle for 3 hours, without any more fatigue than reading a book. I can't say the same for every other device technology I have used to read eBooks.

The handicap of the Kindle is monocrome and very slow refresh. It would be great to have a fast screen from some applications.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calmpewter View Post
    Kindle killer?
    I guess you have not been following the e-reader wars, Amazon and B&N have squeezed out Apple by increasing Royalities back to publishers. Apple will have to match these royalities or no e-books on iTunes. Currently iPhone has apps for Amazon and B&N but the major portion of the profits go to back to them and not to Apple.

Many of the now failing News outlets such NY Time want to get monies and will partner with Apple for a fee, Also many of the weekly magazines subscriptions for a fee via iTunes.

I read the forums on Apple OS 4 with multitasking and improved multitouch, these new features will more than likely break many of Apps, wait to you hear the screaming on that one.
    Last edited by dgraham98; 01/22/2010 at 09:17 AM. Reason: New Info
    Forgot to say - B&N Nook is Android and it just a matter of time that the Nook will be able to use the Android Store. Plus Amazon announced that they will have App Store for Kindle. Think Apple is to late to market for e-readers, but has a good chance at the business market.
  17.    #17  
    So you think that monochrome e-readers will win out among consumers over multimedia tablets? I guess you haven't be listening to the Engadget podcasts. Those guys think that e-ink is a technology who's time has come and gone.

This reminds me of the 1990's debate about whether PDA's needed color or not. I can't imagine carrying around any kind of tablet that can't browse a website as well as a smartphone.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dgraham98 View Post
    Think Apple is to late to market for e-readers, but has a good chance at the business market.
    In a product genre that has no reported sales figures and has barely even begun, then Apple is too late?

The trend in the last 5 years was that if a product had a headphone jack/speaker (GPS, Game System, Alarm Clock) then they built in an MP3 player. The same will go with ereaders. If a product has a screen (Tablet, Phone) then someone will make sure it has the ability to display a book. It won't be the primary reason you buy a product and you most likely won't use it, but it's an additional function they get to list on the side of the box.

Single task devices are fading away so adding a feature doesn't make them "too late" it just follows the trend of making gadgets more diverse in function. And thats a trend that applies to ANY company in the game (including the ones that people irrationally dislike).
    Last edited by Urkel; 01/22/2010 at 03:05 PM.
    I think it's going to be all about serving media. I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of integration with your TV as well to access movies, get online, etc. This would make a killer remote for your TV. At some point the convergence of TV and Internet programming has got to gain momentum.

It will be interesting...if it's going to really be $1000 that will be a monumental fail on Apple's part in this economic climate.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Engadget guys are the experts ? Give me a break. Amazon and B&N are going lock out Apple. At CES color LCD readers were announce or released by bucket load without content agreements.

Content is the game, you control the content, make it easy and cheap to get and you own the market (iTunes and iPod). Amazon and B&N went on a spending spree and bought up the content and are now introducing equipment. Amazon is also going to kick back royalities to publishers making it tough for others to get content.

Amazon has already started $0 on books

I love it, when you say anything negative about Apple, the covert Apple ******* hanging around this Fourm are flushed out.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast