Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1.    #61  
    Well, the preorders have sold out (200K), reviews are in (they are great), the App Store is stocked with new iPad apps (over 1000) and Steve Jobs is on the cover of TIME. Analysts are predicting 5-8 million units will be sold by the end of the year.

My iPad is sitting in a UPS warehouse getting ready to be delivered in about 48 hours. Life is good.

Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    It isn't a matter if seeing it better, but a matter of eye fatigue. I can read on a Kindle for 3 hours, without any more fatigue than reading a book. I can't say the same for every other device technology I have used to read eBooks.

The handicap of the Kindle is monocrome and very slow refresh. It would be great to have a fast screen from some applications.
    With the Kindle, I don't get eye fatigue until about 40 hours of reading, but I think that fatigue is do to lack of sleep.

The battery life is great, it keeps up with me.
    Last edited by slbailey1; 04/02/2010 at 09:17 AM.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    It's amazing how people are just looking for a reason to hate the iPad. I'm just going through the app store downloading free ipad apps and it's amazing how many are out already. And not crap, we're talking ABC, NPR, Netflix, Newspapers etc. I don't think the iPad form factor is nice because I much prefer Couriers more professional/portable design because I'll never be seen in public iPadding like a dork. But in the end that app catalog will make it tough for anyone to compete. So this will be a hit whether you like it or not.

Anyway, My biggest gripe is app costs. Charging $.99 for an iPhone app and $4.99-9.99 for the "same" iPad version is a scam. At least give us a discount if you are upgrading or something because I spent $15 on the iPhone MLB app and now I have to pay again for the far superior iPad version? Gouging loyal customers is stupid so I hope the Courier can knock Apple off it's throne (or at least make them compete and lower prices).
  4.    #64  
    Even before the release of the iPad, the App Store has a couple thousand iPad-specific apps not to mention all of the iPhone apps that are compatible via pixel-doubling. It's starting the tablet race so far ahead it's ridiculous.
  5. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Let me know when it will let me vpn and remote desktop into my desktop at work, run Autocad, send print jobs, do file-manager tasks across my network, connect with usb to my Pre, play Counterstrike, do skype with video, run MSOneNote, accept stylus input as well as multi-touch, play a DVD, output HDMI, run Adobe CS apps, etc.

Until then I'm sticking with the tablet I've got already. Although I must admit it is a bit annoying to have to fold the screen over and turn it around when I want to type on the full size physical keyboard, which does happen just occasionally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    It's amazing how people are just looking for a reason to hate the iPad.
    I think the difference in reaction to the iPad between some of the people here and people who have actually used it illustrates just how out of touch one side is.
    This is a funny thread to read, after the fact.
  8. rayhollister
    I'm definitely going to go play with it tomorrow, but I don't expect to be impressed. I just can't bring myself to buy Apple. You don't actually buy Apple products. You pay a fee to use them indefinitely. They still belong to Steve Jobs.
  9. rayhollister
    I do think the hardware is super hot though.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayhollister View Post
    I'm definitely going to go play with it tomorrow, but I don't expect to be impressed. I just can't bring myself to buy Apple. You don't actually buy Apple products. You pay a fee to use them indefinitely. They still belong to Steve Jobs.

Explain what you mean? I mean, it sounds pithy, but how is it different from any other tech company's products?
    People can knock this product all day long, the reality of it is, this thing will sell millions and its the iPhone all over again but this time the ground work is already there. It lacks multitasking, it lacks a SD card slot, a front facing camera, etc,etc. This was done purposefully, give the consumer a taste, get people dependent on this device like people depend on water (from apps), then add common sense components in future versions and updates.

We have no choice but to accept this control Apple has because other companies aren't doing anything on the level of Apple. HP really thinks putting a full OS on a tablet will be some kind of revolution, it won't because the ease of use is not there. Notion Ink Adam will do well with geeks, but with a user interface that could seem too cumbersome to the average Joe its market will be too low to continue development, or updates, something the iPhone OS has plenty of.
    I just don't see how fun it will be when you try and run Pandora and then go check an email or surf the net and Pandora closes. It becomes a digital boombox at the push of a button, but ONLY that. This would be acceptable on a phone, as I like the functionality of the iPhone as it is, but on a tablet, it desparately needs multitasking and full web support. Then I'd be interested.
    >>I just don't see how fun it will be when you try and run Pandora and then go check an email or surf the net and Pandora closes.>>

But they want you to run iTunes (with which you can multitask). Now if you are wedded to Pandora, this is not the product for you.

But more people care about their iTunes account than their Pandora account.

Doesn't make either consumer wrong; just means they just need a different product.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    >>I just don't see how fun it will be when you try and run Pandora and then go check an email or surf the net and Pandora closes.>>

But they want you to run iTunes (with which you can multitask). Now if you are wedded to Pandora, this is not the product for you.

But more people care about their iTunes account than their Pandora account.

Doesn't make either consumer wrong; just means they just need a different product.
    What happens when os4 hits and brings multitasking? Many people seem to forget all it takes is a software update to bring to multitasking, and everyone knows it's coming in os4.

Btw, this was typed on my iPad which I'm absolutely in love with. The netflix instant streaming and abc apps are amazing. The battery life is amazing too, I had a 6 hour flight today from Dulles -> San Francisco ... I played a bunch of games and watched a few tv shows and at 1:30am right now my battery is sitting at 60%. That's a 40% drop in almost 12 hours with heavy usage. Get that on a laptop or netbook.
  15. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    The netflix instant streaming...
    So did MS make a version of Silverlight that runs on the iPad browser? Or did apple make a deal with Netflix to stream something else to the iPad?

xtn
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234