Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    No Flash, no multitasking and most likely not cheap. Looks nice but the core is laking.
    Ipad is Ifail. It simply brings nothing new to the table. IMHO of course. They said it runs virtually every app..... Which ones don't work?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    I'm a bit curious about their 1Ghz Apple A4 chip.....
    Want to see the size of it compared to the Tegra and Snapdragon chips, and I'm wondering if this chipset is going to run future versions of the iPhone.
    Egh, apple about beauty over function. They don't know that ebook readers are good for the e-ink, less strain for the eyes.
    iphone xL....
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    It might be good for somebody, but pretty disappointing to me..

Exactly like I thought. On the road I'll use my phone. At home I'll use my laptop. Only thinking about laying it down to use the onscreen keyboard makes me cringe.
    on the run i use my phone, and have my laptop with me, at home i have a 22inch screen for working. i really don't see where i should use this. laying it down to type with 10 fingers? no, holding it up, tipping with one hand... too slow.

it's big iphone, period. as long as there are no new super functions this thing will blow.

but it will sell non the less because it's apple...
    AT&T is gonna hate Apple, 3G wireless on AT&T :O
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I know people will choose to go overboard on their LOVE or HATE with this. But personally I'm falling right in the middle as expected. It's something I WANT but not something I NEED.

My dopey opinion:

Pro:
    - Price. $499 vs Netbook Market isn't too bad
    - Size. 10" is good size for portability/function
    - App Catalog. That's HUGE (especially if youve invested)
    - Battery. 10hrs on an IPS screen is good
    - eBooks. Amazon, BN and Apple is a lot of choices
    - Couch. Cmon. This is simply perfect for couch surfing

Con:
    - No Camera. Cmon. What about Skype or iChat?
    - No Multitasking. Seriously Apple? I defend it on a phone but not on a netbook.
    - iPhone OS. It's not a full blown computer so heavy limitations in apps.
    - Screens. 10" just seems too easy to crack.
    - iPhone. In function it overlaps too much w my Pre/iPhone
    - Travel. As much as I thought I'd drag my Netbook around, I never do. Same with this.

So thats my thoughts.
    I'm wondering if my iphone (especially jailbroken) isn't more functional than the ipad. I can't see me buying this.

A netbook even kills this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I know people will choose to go overboard on their LOVE or HATE with this. But personally I'm falling right in the middle as expected. It's something I WANT but not something I NEED.

My dopey opinion:

Pro:

Con:
    - No Multitasking. Seriously Apple? I defend it on a phone but not on a netbook.
    - Travel. As much as I thought I'd drag my Netbook around, I never do. Same with this.

So thats my thoughts.
    Nice thoughts. About mirrors my own. Sure, i'd take one. Be nice to have. But its definitely nothing I need.

Disappointed with no mention of OS version.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I think the price is about right. At least better than I thought it would be. I was leaning towards $1000. If they're able to cut the price in half in a few months after release it might give Kindle a run for its money.
    What is wrong with Jobs? Is this seriously the best he could do? I mean come on, its a freakin big iPod Touch. Have you not heard the people groaning about the stale OS layout? Egh, at least come out with a better name. There is already the iTampons joke going around. -_-'
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Don't you see? It's all about their Apple's great great marketing, not any product attribute. Everyone who buys these things are like zombies waiting in line. They are drawn like moths to sparkly stores and bright colors.
    I think you miss Apple's targeted market entirely. Apple's not interested in the tech savvy crowd - they're already saturated with technology. Apple's not interested in the confirmed luddites of the world - they're hopelessly opposed to any form of change. Instead, Apple targets that vast portion of the population in between those two categories by dumbing-down the technology (simplicity), pairing it with a service that makes it useful out-of-the-box (utility), and making it look good (fashion).

The only reason their marketing is so good is Apple very accurately targets the demographic I just described with both their ads and their products.
  15.    #55  
    I think Apple hit the right target, here. Tablet computers have always failed because taking Windows, removing the keyboard, and adding a stylus isn't an optimal tool to do anything.

However some 70 million iPhones and iPod Touch sales have suggested that people want to do multimedia, browsing, and games on a pad. The vertical uses of an iPod Touch from students, to pilots,to neurosurgeons at a conference shows that the apps are just as important as the hardware.

And, at $500, it puts a hurt on the high-end Kindle ($450) and whatever netbook your mom is using to browse and send email. And, it will pre-kill whatever tablet competition might be brewing unless someone really thinks that the Ju Ju is going to look good next to one of these. That would be like trying to sell a Pre next to an iPhone.
    I agree that Apple did the right thing. It just needs developed now from 3.2. It wasn't an accident that they didn't mention anything OS specific. I could see it being released as we saw it and 4.0 to hit in the summer.

Jobs mentioned that millions are trained to use the iphone/ipod. Other non-owners have been trained through commercials. This is their market right now. Many have probably looked at the Kindle and thought..if it just did more. Well this does. And what's more, this market can bring their apps & itunes media over. And i never got the sense that anyone made the case that e-ink is essential.

I gave my 3yr old my old iphone. She's had it since she was 2. It's a must have to bring on trips and she's mastered it. I've also got a kindle. I can sell both of these and get an ipad to replace it. Just need to see if it's usable and would only know that through trying it out for a few days. Usable as in can my 3yr old handle the weight of it. Is it comfortable to not only read but to use for long periods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post

My dopey opinion:

Pro:

Con:

So thats my thoughts.
    I'd rather have the small factor of the Itouch because it does the same exact thing but it fits in my pocket. I also know I better get an extended accident warranty because that screen is going to break several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I agree that Apple did the right thing. It just needs developed now from 3.2. It wasn't an accident that they didn't mention anything OS specific. I could see it being released as we saw it and 4.0 to hit in the summer.

Jobs mentioned that millions are trained to use the iphone/ipod. Other non-owners have been trained through commercials. This is their market right now. Many have probably looked at the Kindle and thought..if it just did more. Well this does. And what's more, this market can bring their apps & itunes media over. And i never got the sense that anyone made the case that e-ink is essential.

I gave my 3yr old my old iphone. She's had it since she was 2. It's a must have to bring on trips and she's mastered it. I've also got a kindle. I can sell both of these and get an ipad to replace it. Just need to see if it's usable and would only know that through trying it out for a few days. Usable as in can my 3yr old handle the weight of it. Is it comfortable to not only read but to use for long periods.
    I agree with what you said. My 3yr old has mastered the iphone and enjoys gaming on it. Not sure if thats a good thing for a 3yr old.

I can see the market for the ipad. I think some of its shortcomings that people wanted like multitasking are just software issues and will come in future updates. When I see this thing docked on its keyboard I can see one in my kitchen.
    Tap...tap...more tap tap tap. Egh, finally saw the keynote and it seems like Jobs was forcing people to think it was something good. When he was sitting down his mouth looked all serious. Lol one funny thing I have to point out is how hilarious it is showing Leo Laporte holding up his macbook screen showing him recording the stage. 1:04:08
    From the reactions so far (both from the Apple and non-Apple crowd), this thing isn't going to do very well. Even the name is being parodied but that's not the worst of it. What's bad is its shortcomings are already well known and spreading like wildfire. Plus it seems to be competing with other devices other than e-readers (some more portable: itouch, some more versatile: netbook). It's a jack of some trades but master of none. I predict obscurity and eventual failure after the hype blows over and diehards have their crack at it.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast