1. Dew
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I wrote an article about my thoughts on the recent launch of the Google Nexus One and the events surrounding it. I would appreciate if you all would read it and leave your comments in the article whether you like it or hate it.

Google Nexus One: A cunning move or a colossal mistake?

Thanks very much!
    Staff Writer, Top10
    Twitter @Dew_Top10
    Quote Originally Posted by Dew View Post
    I wrote an article about my thoughts on the recent launch of the Google Nexus One and the events surrounding it. I would appreciate if you all would read it and leave your comments in the article whether you like it or hate it.

Google Nexus One: A cunning move or a colossal mistake?

Thanks very much!
    Seems like a great device and if I was on T-Mobile, I'd seriously look at it but I DO NOT think it's a game-changer with the unlocked model.

The European mobile phone model just doesn't work here. We've got 4 different standards/frequencies and none of them are fully inter-operable with one another (AT&T and T-Mobile being "close"). So buying your hardware, then choosing your carrier separately isn't an option.

I don't know how this is going to work on Verizon either (when the Nexus One becomes available). I don't see an unlocked device on VZW at all...what would be the point? VZW's CDMA isn't operable on anything other than Verizon.

Furthermore, American are in love with their subsidies. This is a $550 device...subsidized it's $180...what price would the average consumer rather pay?
  3. Dew
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    All very good points. In fact, I agree that being sold unlocked for so much money is not really a great idea as some would lead you to believe. I'm from the UK and I would personally never pay for a phone, which is why I got my Pre for free on a 2 year contract with unlimited data plan included for 35/mo.

That said, I think Google's underlying aim behind letting people buy the N1 unlocked is not to allow them to go with any network but get more people onboard to start using its Google Voice software. I reckon that's one of the main reasons why they released the Nexus One as Google could and would not force the hands of its Android partners to do this. I also recently read about how some Google execs think that revenue generated through mobile phones advertising could someday make mobile phones free. If everyone starts using Google's phone for Google's products and services, it's not out the realm of possibility.
    Last edited by Dew; 01/20/2010 at 08:34 PM.
    Staff Writer, Top10
    Twitter @Dew_Top10