Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    An iPhone with multitasking is like an old clucky car with a spoiler. It just isn't ment to be. Multitasking on the iPhone is an Addon. WebOS has built in multitasking that is connected to the core of the OS. iPhone is still just a shiny on clucky car with a spoiler, while the Pre is a Corvette with a spoiler. WebOS is just ment to have a spoiler while multitasking on an iPhone will look awkward and just isn't made to be on it.
    It's just that simple. It just isn't ment to be.
    Interesting point regarding multitasking. They will probably have to make some significant changes to the OS to get a good implementation so it doesn't have that add-on feel. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    An iPhone with multitasking is like an old clucky car with a spoiler. It just isn't ment to be. Multitasking on the iPhone is an Addon. WebOS has built in multitasking that is connected to the core of the OS. iPhone is still just a shiny on clucky car with a spoiler, while the Pre is a Corvette with a spoiler. WebOS is just ment to have a spoiler while multitasking on an iPhone will look awkward and just isn't made to be on it.
    It's just that simple. It just isn't ment to be.
    So does that mean every additional feature and function to WebOS will suck because it wasn't originally implemented in the release version? Video camera? Spell check? Soft keyboard? Voice dialing? Visual Voice Mail?

We're talking about enhancing the software, not gluing a credit card reader to the back of it and calling it a cash register. So the addition to major OS features is entirely possible.

(And BTW. Apple did attach a credit card reader to the iPodTouch and it works just fine. OMG. technology is moving forward exactly the way it's supposed to.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    So does that mean every additional feature and function to WebOS will suck because it wasn't originally implemented in the release version? Video camera? Spell check? Soft keyboard? Voice dialing? Visual Voice Mail?

We're talking about enhancing the software, not gluing a credit card reader to the back of it and calling it a cash register. So the addition to major OS features is entirely possible.

(And BTW. Apple did attach a credit card reader to the iPodTouch and it works just fine. OMG. technology is moving forward exactly the way it's supposed to.)
    There is big difference between a HUGE ground breaking feature and a Video Recording app, Spell Check, and Visual VoiceMail (leather seats). Software Keyboard and Voice Dialing are a step up from leather seats, like lets say spinners on your wheels. You can get it right and have it flow nicely with everything else.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post

Thank you, that was a terrible analogy. This thread has gotten off topic, and it's turned into "lets bash Apple thread"...
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    So more people want to buy old clunky cars with spoilers than Corvettes with spoilers? Terrible analogy, try again.
    Now don't tell me if you got offered a Chorvet or an old clunker, you choose the clunker. What I ment to get across is that you have an older car that used to be the top of it game, but now it reaching the end of it's peek. Cool old car vs. Brand new cool car... You choose. LOL!!!
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    Interesting point regarding multitasking. They will probably have to make some significant changes to the OS to get a good implementation so it doesn't have that add-on feel. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do.
    Me too!
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    Thank you, that was a terrible analogy. This thread has gotten off topic, and it's turned into "lets bash Apple thread"...
    I didn't mean to make it a huge apple bash post. Just didn't have allot of time to make it detailed. Adding onto it though, I do believe that apple can pull this off very well. However, it won't ever offer the same seemless experience the Pre does.
    - John Wayne
    It only takes 3 letters to explain why I will never have an iphone no matter how much it is improved:

at&t
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Now don't tell me if you got offered a Chorvet or an old clunker, you choose the clunker. What I ment to get across is that you have an older car that used to be the top of it game, but now it reaching the end of it's peek. Cool old car vs. Brand new cool car... You choose. LOL!!!
    Why is the iPhone reaching the end of it's peek? I remember people saying that in 2008, and 2009. Apple has been BOOMING is this recession, one of the few companies that hasn't been hurt by the recession. Palm on the other hand...I wish Palm and the WebOS much success in the future, but what they're currently doing is not working.
    I see more clunky cars with "rims" than I do corvettes with spoilers, here in syracuse NY. For what its worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    It only takes 3 letters to explain why I will never have an iphone no matter how much it is improved:

at&t

It might be coming to Sprint or Verizon later this year...
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    The best thing about the Pre Plus other than the upgrades is that it is going to be on VZ. That will give users a huge advantage over the iPhone. Also it will give Palm some much needed MONEY.
    The first iPhone was MEDIOCRE at best as found by the MANY non-affiliated tech site reviews. (see my sig for a good 200+ page read) Apple does two things really well, wrap "standard" technology in shiny white plastic adorned with a half eaten fruit, and advertise anywhere and everywhere. Archos and Creative had devices that were as good\better than the first iPod but you know what?? Those stupid florescent "silhouette" adds were in every magazine, tv commercial, bus stops, airports, train stations, that even if the iPod could hold 5 songs people probably would have tried it out.

Fast forward a few years (and millions of iPods later) Jobs decides to get into the smartphone game (nevermind Treo phones WERE mp3 players with Realplayer or PocketTunes) and announces the iPhone, marketed as an "iPod that makes calls". They already had a huge installed base so it's a NO BRAINER that the iPhone automatically is a success even if no other customers buy because they have essentially a "captive" audience. That's like DirecTv's next set top being a "media pc" also and them sellings millions and competing with Dell and HP because the subscriber base automatically upgraded to make the "media pc" successful.

iPod doesn't exist, no way the iPhone is on top of the smartphone game. The friggin thing didn't even launch with apps that Treos & WinMo had by the thousands before it was released. But as long as you announce new features on a big blue screen in white letters, you are "innovative" and "pushing the envelope".
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    The first iPhone was MEDIOCRE at best as found by the MANY non-affiliated tech site reviews. (see my sig for a good 200+ page read) Apple does two things really well, wrap "standard" technology in shiny white plastic adorned with a half eaten fruit, and advertise anywhere and everywhere. Archos and Creative had devices that were as good\better than the first iPod but you know what?? Those stupid florescent "silhouette" adds were in every magazine, tv commercial, bus stops, airports, train stations, that even if the iPod could hold 5 songs people probably would have tried it out.

Fast forward a few years (and millions of iPods later) Jobs decides to get into the smartphone game (nevermind Treo phones WERE mp3 players with Realplayer or PocketTunes) and announces the iPhone, marketed as an "iPod that makes calls". They already had a huge installed base so it's a NO BRAINER that the iPhone automatically is a success even if no other customers buy because they have essentially a "captive" audience. That's like DirecTv's next set top being a "media pc" also and them sellings millions and competing with Dell and HP because the subscriber base automatically upgraded to make the "media pc" successful.

iPod doesn't exist, no way the iPhone is on top of the smartphone game. The friggin thing didn't even launch with apps that Treos & WinMo had by the thousands before it was released. But as long as you announce new features on a big blue screen in white letters, you are "innovative" and "pushing the envelope".
    I very much agree.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post

biased much?
    I have to say this has been an interesting discussion on here. Complete with flame wars, passionate arguments, ect.

The One thing we all seem to miss here is that Apple implements very well. Now everyone here says how abysmal the 1.0 product was. It may have been, but at the time it was the first truly dead on simply product to use. That is what Apple does. Now over the years they have improved on it. Also just because they have not had a feature or product per say. That does not mean there is not a prototype or concurrent product that hasn't been released. Anyone here remember when they made the switch to intel procs. We found out that from day one OSX was running on intel just incase.

Now on to Palm. Yes WebOS is great and revolutionary. Great. It's also still a BETA OS! Palm has shown how desperate they were by having to release so early. 1.3.5 should have been what was on here to begin with. Oh and it took them 6+ months to realize that the TS cover should have been standard. Now saying that do I love this phone. On the whole I can say yes. Does that mean that if a better product comes out I will never jump? H3ll no! What is disturbing is not that we don't have 100k+ apps. It's that the apps that are needed are nowhere near coming to WebOS. I mean No banking apps, nothing in the way of big firm stuff ect. Just as a side note, recently Chevy was touting their Volt car. During this they mentioned that there would be a app that you could run with the car. Thing is it will only be out for Apple, Rim and Google. See who is the odd man out?

I understand that Palm is not as big as the other 3 mentioned. But in this game it's put up or shut down. I have a bad feeling that by the time they will be ready. The doors will already have been shuttered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Doesn't this thread belong in "Cross-platform?
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    This thread belongs in CROSS PLATFORM
    Yes it does.

I only just stumbled across it.
    Feel free to Report threads posted in the wrong forum.

Thanks,
    -Berd

<<moved>>
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    Who started touch screen this and that!

Forget about touch screen phones for one minute. First off Apple did clam they invented touch screen. They attempted to sue Palm (before it's release) over it and lost.

It wasn't Palm who started touch screen phones but, do you all forget that Palm has made touch screen PDAs for about 15 years? Take a PDA, add a phone, what do you have? Touch Screen Smartphone!
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    If you can remember before the release of the Palm Pre, Apple all of a sudden claimmed that the new version of iPhone, was going to be the first phone to multitask! Phone came out, without they so called multitask. Pre's release begain to close in. Apple claimmed multitask with update! Still no multitasking. Palm releases with first multitasking phone.

To me Apple got word of the Pre. Tried to beat Palm to the punch, but couldn't figure out how to get it to work. So what do they do? Attempt to beat Palm by sue them over stealing their so called invented "touch screen"!
    Last edited by Spikea4; 01/21/2010 at 04:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikea4 View Post
    If you can remember before the release of the Palm Pre, Apple all of a sudden claimmed that the new version of iPhone, was going to be the first phone to multitask! Phone came out, without they so called multitask. Pre's release begain to close in. Apple claimmed multitask with update! Still no multitasking. Palm releases with first multitasking phone.

To me Apple got word of the Pre. Tried to beat Palm to the punch, but couldn't figure out how to get it to work. So what do they do? Attempt to beat Palm by sue them over stealing their so called invented "touch screen"!
    Maybe that happened in an alternate universe
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast