Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts

O NOES!!! iphone will have multitasking!!!!1
    So 22 good apps, then?
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iRobot View Post
    According to the article you got that picture from: iPhone Prototype Hits eBay | Robert Accettura's Fun With Wordage

"There’s are 2 prototype iPhone’s on eBay. Apparently two models from late (49′th and 50′th week) 2006"

Prada already had won awards for their phones design months earlier. They were going to sue Apple over it for crying out loud. Anyone who has actually kept up with the mobile market for more than a few years, knows Apple copied LG on their design. The term "iphone" was even ripped off from another company. lol
    It takes way more than 3 months to develop something as sophisticated as the iPhone, LG never took Apple to court because they never had a case.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    So 22 good apps, then?
    I'm not sure i could handle any more than that since Palm Profile only reinstalls half of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    It takes way more than 3 months to develop something as sophisticated as the iPhone, LG never took Apple to court because they never had a case.
    I seriously doubt it took apple 3 months to come up with THAT prototype.

hahaha apply that same logic to the LG which was out, on display, and winning awards 3 months earlier. I'll take the word of the head of LG's R&D department. And as for the law suit, read this, it's from Macdailynews. MacDailyNews - LG undecided about lawsuit against iPhone over similarities to LG's Prada phone

Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webosuser View Post
    I seriously doubt it took apple 3 months to come up with THAT prototype.
    Thank you.

iPhone rumors date back to 2004, c'mon son:

iPhone Rumor Rebound? - Mac Rumors

Summer 2006:

iPhone Rumors Confirmed? » My Digital Life
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    OK. OK. Palm has better multitasking than anything on earth right now. The card motif is so fantastic that aside from Safari Mobile, TealPoint for Palm OS, and at least one other app, it simply can not be matched by any other company.

If the iPhone gets multitasking then it will surely not be as good or at least not be the original.

If I ever see someone actually using a Pre then I will know, inside, that I'm a sheep that feeds on whatever restrictive Apple allows and that the potential Pre user is free to access the unlimited potential of the device (unless Palm restricts the screen size by 40 pixels, restricts access to 3D gaming, restricts purchases to certain countries, restricts the newest model to a different carrier, restricts access to the PDK to certain companies, restricts wifi to certain models, or restricts webOS access to the GPU or microphone using its limited SDK.)
    why is it so hard for you to admit that all the bs aside, palm's webOS is simply a more open and inviting platform with less restrictions than the iphone os?

I'm not arguing about which platform is better (which is what you want to get into by marginalizing everything the pre does well or even half-way decent), I'm simply stating the indisputable fact that palm has developed and opened up webOS as a more inviting platform with their philosophy.

Pffffft. Palm is more open to homebrew-type development because THEY MUST BE. For months, it was the only thing propping up new options and apps for WebOS. Apple is more closed because they want to guarantee a unified, streamlined experience for all users regardless of technical proficiency. Either way, you can hack your device to do what you want without "being thrown out of the garden".

Jailbreakers have been able to exchange their phones, and there happen to be a kazillion locations across the US between Apple and AT&T where they can do so freely. Palm's "warranty" on the other hand requires you to either mail your phone in and pay extra, or go through Sprint's neverending carousel of nightmare refurbs, hence people being on their 6th and 7th Pre in LESS THAN A YEAR.
    and you, why are you also so unwilling to give props to palm where it is due?
    who cares the reason why certain decisions and inclusions were made?
    fact is, THEY ARE AVAILABLE.

did you ***** and moan when apple finally added official mms, video, copy&paste, notifications and other solutions due to competition?
    did you wring your hands and complain when apple finally opened up the sdk to native development and spout,"they're only doing this because web-only apps were pitiful!"

and by the way, palm's and sprint's warranty policies have no effect on how many phones one has to exchange throughout a year.
    that has to do with build quality, quality assurance and a bit of luck.

don't start throwing in non sequiturs.
    Thank you.

iPhone rumors date back to 2004, c'mon son:

iPhone Rumor Rebound? - Mac Rumors

Summer 2006:

iPhone Rumors Confirmed? » My Digital Life
    lol what does an article about Apple rumored to making a phone that plays iTunes have to do with them copying LG on their design? haha oh man.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayln View Post
    why is it so hard for you to admit that all the bs aside, palm's webOS is simply a more open and inviting platform with less restrictions than the iphone os?

I'm not arguing about which platform is better (which is what you want to get into by marginalizing everything the pre does well or even half-way decent), I'm simply stating the indisputable fact that palm has developed and opened up webOS as a more inviting platform with their philosophy.

did you ***** and moan when apple finally added official mms, video, copy&paste, notifications and other solutions due to competition?
    did you wring your hands and complain when apple finally opened up the sdk to native development and spout,"they're only doing this because web-only apps were pitiful!"

and by the way, palm's and sprint's warranty policies have no effect on how many phones one has to exchange throughout a year.
    that has to do with build quality, quality assurance and a bit of luck.

don't start throwing in non sequiturs.
    You see, apple ******* will dispute and argue anything that congradulates competition. They are in love with apple to the point where everyone else sucks. If no one else came out with multitasking they would be complaining about it....until someone came up with it....then they would say "oh well we didnt really need it anyways" (i know a ****** who has done this when i got my pre - he used to complain about having to close and open apps all the time. Then i get my pre and i show him the cards and hes like "well i dont need that anyways" - funny how that works) I give apple credit where its due. The iphone is a GREAT device. However its not THE ONLY DEVICE. consumers like options. I personally like the pre better because of the keyboard. I LOVE multitasking. Dont get all defensive because you need to be a little humble and clap your hands a few times for competition. Thats just being a bad sport. You can like a company but still give credit to another. I rarely uses the words "apple *******" however i will when people are acting like them and will refuse to even acknowledge something decent that competition does.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    The reason I will never get an iphone is the whole air of superiority thing that apple exude. Maybe I have a chip on my shoulder but I would rather be with a supplier who don't act like minor deities.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayln View Post
    I'm not unwilling to give "props" to Palm at all. But jailbreaking is just as "available" to any iPhone user as homebrew is to WebOS users. To use homebrew, you have to enter codes and download software to your desktop. To jailbreak an iPhone, you must do the same. Instructions for how to do both are but a plain Google search away and freely available.

Why are YOU so unwilling to admit that?

Actually, I didn't care because I didn't want an iPhone and still don't. I don't want to homebrew or jailbreak to be able to configure my phone as I want it or need it.

But those were certainly oversights/errors on Apple's part just as they are with Palm. I have no double standard between the two companies.

The fact is I am unwilling to accept substandard efforts from any company, be it Apple or Palm. Palm couldn't get the bugginess out of multitasking (I suffered far too many random "Too Many Cards" errors in five months) nor the crappiness out of their build quality as far as I was concerned, so I picked - FOR THE MOMENT - a device and platform that could (HTC Hero on Sprint running Android and Sense UI).

When/if Palm gets it together regarding those issues on Sprint, I'd be happy to give them another try. There isn't a single issue I have with WebOS or the Pre that cannot be fixed. They just have to get it done.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    lol what does an article about Apple rumored to making a phone that plays iTunes have to do with them copying LG on their design? haha oh man.
    Don't you know? Because to the iphone/Apple world that seems to show that iphone is GOD and Apple did nothing wrong!

FYI, just because a company does not proceed with suing another company does not mean they do not have the necessary evidence to back up a claim. For anyone that has ever owned a company and had to deal with the financial responsibilities and time that it takes to follow through with suing another knows that at times, the outcome may not be worth the time and money. My company spent over $650,000 suing a well known company (an ATT rival, but not the wireless division) and won a judgement of $500,000. Was the judgment worth the cost spent? Many would say no. However, proving a point to a bigger company was worth it to us. Point is, just cause no action was taken by LG does not mean there was no case.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    I'm not unwilling to give "props" to Palm at all. But jailbreaking is just as "available" to any iPhone user as homebrew is to WebOS users. To use homebrew, you have to enter codes and download software to your desktop. To jailbreak an iPhone, you must do the same. Instructions for how to do both are but a plain Google search away and freely available.

Actually, I didn't care because I didn't want an iPhone and still don't. I don't want to homebrew or jailbreak to be able to configure my phone as I want it or need it.

But those were certainly oversights/errors on Apple's part just as they are with Palm. I have no double standard between the two companies.

The fact is I am unwilling to accept substandard efforts from any company, be it Apple or Palm. Palm couldn't get the bugginess out of multitasking (I suffered far too many random "Too Many Cards" errors in five months) nor the crappiness out of their build quality as far as I was concerned, so I picked - FOR THE MOMENT - a device and platform that could (HTC Hero on Sprint running Android and Sense UI).

When/if Palm gets it together regarding those issues on Sprint, I'd be happy to give them another try. There isn't a single issue I have with WebOS or the Pre that cannot be fixed. They just have to get it done.
    I agree with you they did drop the ball in a few areas, they are picking it back up which is a good sign. My biggest gripe over the Pre is the build I for the life of me can't figure out how a company could release such a terribly made product. Even the Pres that dont really give any issues feel cheap when compared to most other phones.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    your saying that Apple copied the idea in September 06 then car out with a prototype less than 3 months later. The iPhone is something that had been in the works for over a year before. Can you comprehend that?
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts

except you refuse to acknowledge that:
    (a) no jailbreaking occurs on webOS. the ability to sideload apps or modify source files is available out of the box.
    (b) the iphone is certainly a more restrictive platform, jailbreaking voids your warranty.

before that rashad guy pops in again with a foolish comment, no. just because you can get away with jailbreaking and what have you, doesn't mean it's sanctioned/blessed by the company.

and now you're trying to spin the fact that webOS has such potential and so many options available to it into a negative characteristic.

if you're so satisfied with your hero, congratulations. you've found a phone that fits your needs and usage.
    I'm sorry you've had such a horrible individual user experience with the palm pre. too bad, so sad.

but the failings you've found aren't necessarily characteristic of the platform as a whole.

you don't like the multi-tasking on the pre? that's unfortunate.
    you think it's badly implemented? that's also unfortunate.

but y'know what, I and plenty others prefer having that option available even if it's not 100% yet than not at all.

go hang around android central.
    there's really no need for you to hover around these forums if you aren't willing to discuss things rationally and provide, at minimum, constructive criticism of the platform rather then bashing it with a white-hot rage.

edit:
    by the way, love the tags on this topic.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    your saying that Apple copied the idea in September 06 then car out with a prototype less than 3 months later. The iPhone is something that had been in the works for over a year before. Can you comprehend that?
    Your logic is extremely flawed. You have no idea what was in the works prior to 9/06, and you're making a lot of ASSumptions.

A company can come out and say they plan on designing something, that doesn't mean they are at the prototype stages or even if they ever actually finalized the research stages of development.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chino0131 View Post
    Don't you know? Because to the iphone/Apple world that seems to show that iphone is GOD and Apple did nothing wrong!

who said that, sounds like you're biased
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Actually,that link is referring to the Motorola ROKR which came out the following year. As you can see, the Motorola branded phone bears no resemblance at all to what was eventually released as the iPhone.

Motorola ROKR E1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

while I love your determination ralyn, I think you're being a bit too harsh on mikah, although I've seen him spouting his bad experiences across threads, even if he doesn't have a pre currently(got mine a few weeks ago, I see absolutely no problems with this too many cards thing, and build is great albeit it feels cheap compared to my solid centro)

I personally appreciate mikah's perspective from the android side of it, and I don't think someone should be "exiled" to their current OS's forum. Rashad on the other hand is a very close minded individual and only perceives iPhone as being the innovator of anything smartphone related.

overall, this can't be bad for either android or webOS, as competition will bring us more innovation down the road. Personally I can't wait to hear what they announce.

and fyi, it sucks typin on forums on the pre, no real autocorrection ftl =(
    Last edited by feyded1020; 01/20/2010 at 01:27 PM.