Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rayln View Post

right.
    these actions are not officially sanctioned by apple and void your warranty.

utilizing homebrew on webOS doesn't void your warranty.
    it's actually a big difference.

apple has a walled garden which if you leave the confines of, you're thrown out.
    I've had many jailbroken iPhones over the years and my warranty has NEVER been voided. Just backup then restore your phone before you bring it in, or hide your jailbroken apps. They will never know. In fact I got my jailbroken iPhone replaced that had a damaged headphone jack, without restoring it.
    The Iphone or as I recently saw it called the GOD phone, does not have a keyboard or a removable battery. Without either, they will be without me as a customer. In additon, you have to either send the phone back to them to have anew battery installed. Or litterally C RACK the case open. NO THANKS!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    Show me an unveiling of the LG prada in Jan '06....

They were being built at the same time. LG announced their phone a few weeks ahead of Apple. You think Apple copied them within a month? They already had a built version of the iPhone by Janurary and it already had been in the makings for over a year. WAYY before LG announced anything.

The Palm Pre on the other hand is one of many iPhone imitators that have come after.
    "Mr. Woo-Young Kwak, head of LG Mobile Handset R&D Center said to the press:

We consider that Apple copied the Prada phone after the design was unveiled when it was presented in the iF Design Award and won the prize in September 2006."

LG: Apple iPhone is a Prada phone copy - Mad4 Mobile Phones
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    Im sticking with palm, i'm loving what they are doing with the phone market. The iPhone is such a sheep product. The fact that there likly adding half-*ssed multi taskin doesn't change me. Honestly I would be suprised if Apple added it without a hardware change. Thats how they do everything else. I like the open'ness that palm is giving its phone. Thats why i'm staying.
    Apple won't fool with multitasking if its "half-***" Apple's had a lot of time to think about it and i'd be surprised if it didn't rival or pass Palm's implementation. This will be merely one of 4.0's new features. While for Palm, it's their bread n butter feature.

Just using Proswitcher, multitasking is much smoother than webOS, not nearly as laggy, doesn't throw "too many cards" at me, etc. I imagine Apple's implementation will be much more elegant.

I hear multitasking isn't too important to some. That's only because Apple hasn't properly marketed it yet (something Palm will never know how to do). The masses will eat it up and go buy iphones. Then it will become a feature people will wonder how they did without.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Apple won't fool with multitasking if its "half-***" Apple's had a lot of time to think about it and i'd be surprised if it didn't rival or pass Palm's implementation. This will be merely one of 4.0's new features. While for Palm, it's their bread n butter feature.

Just using Proswitcher, multitasking is much smoother than webOS, not nearly as laggy, doesn't throw "too many cards" at me, etc. I imagine Apple's implementation will be much more elegant.

I hear multitasking isn't too important to some. That's only because Apple hasn't properly marketed it yet (something Palm will never know how to do). The masses will eat it up and go buy iphones. Then it will become a feature people will wonder how they did without.
    This post is spot on. I hate to admit it, but the demo of Proswitcher made it look incredibly smoother than WebOS. However, that could just be the whole 'GPU not being enabled in the Pre' thing again. Once Apple gets their marketing going, it's over. Everyone will say Apple invented it. Furthermore, their implementation of most things, like you said, is usually very elegant and eye-catching.

I still think that WebOS can reign as the undisputed champion of mobile OS's if they continue to make the improvements, though.
    Last edited by THAANSA3; 01/20/2010 at 11:20 AM.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I've had many jailbroken iPhones over the years and my warranty has NEVER been voided. Just backup then restore your phone before you bring it in, or hide your jailbroken apps. They will never know. In fact I got my jailbroken iPhone replaced that had a damaged headphone jack, without restoring it.
    just because you got away with an illicit action doesn't change the status quo.
    right.
    these actions are not officially sanctioned by apple and void your warranty.

utilizing homebrew on webOS doesn't void your warranty.
    it's actually a big difference.

apple has a walled garden which if you leave the confines of, you're thrown out.

palm has a garden with many entrances and you're free to come and go.

I don't see how hard it is to understand the essential difference in philosophy with which these two companies develop their products and the practical applications thereof.
    Pffffft. Palm is more open to homebrew-type development because THEY MUST BE. For months, it was the only thing propping up new options and apps for WebOS. Apple is more closed because they want to guarantee a unified, streamlined experience for all users regardless of technical proficiency. Either way, you can hack your device to do what you want without "being thrown out of the garden".

Jailbreakers have been able to exchange their phones, and there happen to be a kazillion locations across the US between Apple and AT&T where they can do so freely. Palm's "warranty" on the other hand requires you to either mail your phone in and pay extra, or go through Sprint's neverending carousel of nightmare refurbs, hence people being on their 6th and 7th Pre in LESS THAN A YEAR.
    Last edited by mikah912; 01/20/2010 at 11:20 AM.
    Apple, to my knowledge, has never introduced a technical innovation, as in introducing a device that never exited before. They have, however, introduced products that have been well thought out and well marketed (Macintosh, iPod, iPhone, etc). Execution of the idea for the mass public is just as important as coming up with the idea yourself, if not harder.

Imagine if Apple never picked up Xerox's GUI interface for the PC. I wouldn't doubt that it would have never come along but Apple did a pretty good job introducing this "idea" which was passed over by Xerox execs. MP3 players have existed before the iPod but most of the interfaces on other devices were too much like a CD player. They worked well for a dozen+ songs, not for hundreds or thousands of songs. As for the iPhone, I doubt Apple led the way in the development for capacitive touch screen technology. They probably heard about this new hardware and thought maybe it's good enough to be used on a small device like a phone. With that possibility, they were able to introduce you to a new way to navigate and interact your phone.

I suppose you could call Apple a leader in bringing forth ideas which can actually be used by many instead of being passed up as a gimmick by company execs. In that respect, you have to give it up for Apple. If not for them, do you really think Palm would have introduced webOS or Google with their Android? It might have come later on, but certainly not as quick as it did.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    just because you got away with an illicit action doesn't change the status quo.
    Bottom line is if you restore your phone after a backup, then your warranty is valid again.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

Yup. +1000000.

WebOS has the best CONCEPT of multitasking, but the day-to-day reality has plenty of limitations and bugs that less elegant solutions (e.g. Android) do not. I fully expect Apple to only offer this feature when they can offer the same or better elegance with none of the performance issues that still plague Palm.

Maybe the 512MB of memory on the Pre Plus will negate this. Maybe not. But there will always be a million plus (and counting) WebOS devices out there that will continue to suffer memory leaks and randomly restrict the number of apps you can have open at one time.
    BTW..before i get slammed, Palm has only admitted on multiple occasions that its NOT trying to compete with Apple. Palm is a gnat to Apple and will stay that way for the current time.

What can Palm do to spur enough of its own sales to survive? Be different. As an iphone owner myself, i don't download 3D games that are clumsy to play because its touchscreen only. Palm's main staple is physical kb integration. This should be fully implemented into its gaming which only begs for a new unique Palm landscape large screen slider.

Put that front facing camera on it. I won't use it but its something unique still and probably something Apple won't fool with right now. Get those native google apps going..google won't care..its what they want.

Palm really has to nail down that hardware and making themselves unique.
    Well clearly. THe phone market had stagnated.

In the smart phone world, you had blackberry's and Windows Mobile. By this time PalmOS was struggling...i still had it, but it was clear it was a dying OS. Who can say for sure what Palm had up their sleeve before Apple came along but it probably would've been a minor upgrade over PalmOS.

So yes the idea of making a smart phone user friendly/fun was def. Apple'd doing. They saw a huge hole in the market and took advantage of it.

But the form factor was nothing new at that point. I had this phone for a bit:

Hush it looked good at the time.

You know what apple's great at? Taking chances and not following the market. They often define where the market is going (which i guess why everyone is gaga over this rumored tablet) but it would be great for another company to step up and show innovationin design and UI before Apple does.

But even with WebOS and Palm you can tell some of that Apple design philosophies made their way over.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iRobot View Post
    "Mr. Woo-Young Kwak, head of LG Mobile Handset R&D Center said to the press:

We consider that Apple copied the Prada phone after the design was unveiled when it was presented in the iF Design Award and won the prize in September 2006."

LG: Apple iPhone is a Prada phone copy - Mad4 Mobile Phones
    iPhone prototype from 2006, it had been in the makings for over a year by 2006

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Yup. +1000000.

WebOS has the best CONCEPT of multitasking, but the day-to-day reality has plenty of limitations and bugs that less elegant solutions (e.g. Android) do not. I fully expect Apple to only offer this feature when they can offer the same or better elegance with none of the performance issues that still plague Palm.

Maybe the 512MB of memory on the Pre Plus will negate this. Maybe not. But there will always be a million plus (and counting) WebOS devices out there that will continue to suffer memory leaks and randomly restrict the number of apps you can have open at one time.
    I don't run into the too many cards error too often. If i have multiple browsers open sure...but if its less intensive apps? I can juggle 5-7 all day.

I'm sure as we get more updates and what not the memory leaks will be plugged. iPhone is a mature OS at this point....for 8 months, I think Palm is doing real good for my needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    OK. OK. Palm has better multitasking than anything on earth right now. The card motif is so fantastic that aside from Safari Mobile, TealPoint for Palm OS, and at least one other app, it simply can not be matched by any other company.

If the iPhone gets multitasking then it will surely not be as good or at least not be the original.

If I ever see someone actually using a Pre then I will know, inside, that I'm a sheep that feeds on whatever restrictive Apple allows and that the potential Pre user is free to access the unlimited potential of the device (unless Palm restricts the screen size by 40 pixels, restricts access to 3D gaming, restricts purchases to certain countries, restricts the newest model to a different carrier, restricts access to the PDK to certain companies, restricts wifi to certain models, or restricts webOS access to the GPU or microphone using its limited SDK.)
    The thing that i KNOW will happen though is that when Apple announces the ability to multi-task (after they publically denounced it for battery concern) all of a sudden people are going to think they did it first even though every other smart phone has the ability to do it.

Its the way Apple products seem to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I don't run into the too many cards error too often. If i have multiple browsers open sure...but if its less intensive apps? I can juggle 5-7 all day.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...hing-open.html

One of the many threads on the subject regarding an error STILL affecting the chief attribute of WebOS - multitasking - after many months and several updates. By the time Palm gets this perfected, Apple will be trumpeting multitasking in 4.0 in all of their commercials and have mindshare ownership of the concept.

How many Palm commercials have explicitly shown the idea so far? Zero.
    This is just one of many things that Palm can do:

1) Next build of Palm Pre that will be coming out this summer to Sprint, it should have SnapDragon that can run single cpu or dual with at least 1-1.5Gighz

2) increase RAM to 768-1Gig

3) release 32 and 64 Gig Pre's

4) make the screen just a bit bigger by 2-4mm

5) make keyboard tad bigger also

6) Get more developers to produce apps/games

7) be in peoples faces just like iPhone is.

8) make pre with WiMax,CDMA and GSM all in one.

Once all the above is done run commercial that pins pre VS iPhone.

Just a thought.
    iPhone prototype from 2006, it had been in the makings for over a year by 2006

According to the article you got that picture from: iPhone Prototype Hits eBay | Robert Accettura's Fun With Wordage

"There’s are 2 prototype iPhone’s on eBay. Apparently two models from late (49′th and 50′th week) 2006"

Prada already had won awards for their phones design months earlier. They were going to sue Apple over it for crying out loud. Anyone who has actually kept up with the mobile market for more than a few years, knows Apple copied LG on their design. The term "iphone" was even ripped off from another company. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    Not when 99% of them are garbage. And tell the truth how many of them do you use regularly?
    Of the 125K or so iPhone apps, only 1,250 or less have any worth? Really?

So WebOS, then, has 11 or so decent apps after seven months, or are the developers of this platform magically better than everyone else despite having the least capable SDK out there?
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Of the 125K or so iPhone apps, only 1,250 or less have any worth? Really?

So WebOS, then, has 11 or so decent apps after seven months, or are the developers of this platform magically better than everyone else despite having the least capable SDK out there?
    I would say yes. Amazing isn't it.