Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I dunno why everyones getting worked up.
    this can only be a good a thing

apple, along with other companies, have shown the tendency to rest on their laurels until forced to keep innovating and improving by the competition.

look at the development of their entire iphone os line.

when copy&paste was unavailable, many apple zealots argued it was a bit of a convenience but ultimately such a small thing, they were fine without it.

mms? they said,"who needs mms! I have less file restrictions if I use my phone's email!"

and now multi-tasking? head over to any forums, or even our sister tiPb site, and what'll you see? "multi-tasking slows down all processes, I'm fine with single-tasking!"

sure, that's not representative of all apple consumers but you'll find that attitude amongst many of them. when forced to deal with limitations, they adapt to them and eventually some even start justifying those.
    (not unlike many precentral forum goers I might add...)

so if this is what it takes, the looming competition of android and webOS, to force apple kicking and screaming into ever expanding modernity, so be it.

really, there's no need to look at it as an us versus them battle.

ultimately, the consumer is the one who wins when titans clash.

you can wager your backside this will keep google and palm on their toes and keep that roadmap looking sharp.

even microsoft is rushing to perfect and release their next mobile offering after being stagnant for so long.

the gloves are off now, boys. it's gonna be a wild west showdown at the ok corral. except instead of sharpshootin' cowboys, it's the a-team.

no one's gonna die I wager, their shots are gonna hit all over the place. but they'll be coming back for more time and time again.
    Webos' ability to multitask is cool with all that fancy card flicking and stuff and you know what?... Palm was not the first one to multitask!... they just made it look and feel better in a mobile environment... somewhat like how iphone changed browsing on a mobile phone. and in all honestly reading ongoing issues with "too many cards open" and memory issues in the past... it wasnt perfect.

And Palm can advertise it all they want to make it look like they invented it. They tried actually... remember "bing! bing! bing!?"

Apple never claims to invented all these things like cut/paste and video and stuff people keep saying they do. They just show how they implemented it on their phones and how they make it useful for their phone and have to say that when they do release a feature, they dont go half-*****... they design it to really work with their platform or take it to another level of usefulness like the built in editor on the video (such a good idea Palm liked it )

Apple is not going to claim they invented multitasking if it comes out on the phone... what ever multitasking feature they do release... they will show it in it's best light and show how it will make the experience on the phone better.

that's advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    The only thing I'm worried about is the way Apple is going to advertise it.
    They're going to act like they were the first ones to do it. Look at AT&T's advertisements about "multitasking". I feel like it's going to be like that.

Sprint's already done a stellar job, but people don't listen to Sprint because they still see the "old sprint"...
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    And waiting for apps to appear or having fewer choices among apps doesn't dictate the parameters in which you can use your device?
    +1
    First off we know the multi-tasking won't be as intuitive as Palm. Second, Palm, Android, and a few others EXCLUDING Apple will be getting Flash 10.1 soon. So Palm still has one up on Apple... flash games or video for iPhone? Denied! Full web browsing experience? Nope.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    And waiting for apps to appear or having fewer choices among apps doesn't dictate the parameters in which you can use your device?
    I guess that would depend on what apps and features are important to you.

I have all the apps I need on my Pre so I really don't feel I am missing anything there. With my iPod touch, I download tons of apps (that rarely if ever get used just like my Pre) but that stupid black background is driving me nuts and I hate that I can't listen to Pandora and do anything else at the same time. Jailbreaking helped with the stale interface but no matter what I did (backgrounder, proswitcher, etc...) I could not get apps to run reliably in the background. Also I am hesitant to jailbreak my iPod again because I almost bricked it last time I jailbroke it.

Customization is very important to me because a device becomes stale without it IMO. My Pre is a completely diffferent phone from when I purchased it and the openness of the OS allows this, without any fears of messing anything up.

Apps will come with time and are more likely to come then for Apple to change their approach to to devices that reminds me of the Ford Model T, which you could have in any color as long as it was black. With Apple devices, you can use them any way you want as long as love being chained to their ecosystem.
    Quote Originally Posted by strudel View Post
    I guess that would depend on what apps and features are important to you.

I have all the apps I need on my Pre so I really don't feel I am missing anything there. With my iPod touch, I download tons of apps (that rarely if ever get used just like my Pre) but that stupid black background is driving me nuts and I hate that I can't listen to Pandora and do anything else at the same time. Jailbreaking helped with the stale interface but no matter what I did (backgrounder, proswitcher, etc...) I could not get apps to run reliably in the background. Also I am hesitant to jailbreak my iPod again because I almost bricked it last time I jailbroke it.

Customization is very important to me because a device becomes stale without it IMO. My Pre is a completely diffferent phone from when I purchased it and the openness of the OS allows this, without any fears of messing anything up.

Apps will come with time and are more likely to come then for Apple to change their approach to to devices that reminds me of the Ford Model T, which you could have in any color as long as it was black. With Apple devices, you can use them any way you want as long as love being chained to their ecosystem.
    I agree I have an ipod touch and I don't use almost any apps besides slingplayer on it. But I have Need For Speed on it, among a bunch of other games that I never used while I play the same game on my Palm Pre because its my phone and I take it everywhere. I don't take my Ipod touch everywhere. So if I actually had a iPhone I would be using all these apps since it would be my primary device. Here is to hope that the iPhone does in fact come to sprint.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    no. not at all.
    you're free to create your own apps and freely download the sdk or use ares.

the webOS doesn't require jailbreaking or rooting.
    it's a pretty open and free operating system.

as long as you have a little knowledge, you can easily sideload apps or modify as you see fit.

and please don't come back with "and lack of this knowledge doesn't dictate the parameters in which you may utilize your device?"
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    Really? You like the Apple ecosystem? Having to get your apps from one place. No customization of the phone, at all. Being tied exclusively to the itunes store for half near everything. I mean you can't even have a simple feature like a wall paper. The ecosystem works well for my Mother and many others who just need something to work, so I'm glad its been successful. But there are a lot of Android/WebOS users who need a little more freedom with their device and even with 4.0 they will not find that with an iphone. So if you're comfortable having Apple dictate the parameters in which you can use your device, have at it, however you won't find me there with you.
    Just like people patch their phones on the WebOS, root their phones on Android, you can jailbreak your iPhone. Cusomtize, multitask, install unapproved apps, do whatever you please.

Quote Originally Posted by iRobot View Post
    Actually it was the LG Prada, Apple copied them, but you seem like an Apple faboy diehard, so I'm sure you didn't know that. The whole design of the iPhone is actually a complete copy of the Prada, Google it sometime.

I've read your posts in a few threads now, do you even like Palm?
    They were being built at the same time. LG announced their phone a few weeks ahead of Apple. You think Apple copied them within a month? They already had a built version of the iPhone by Janurary and it already had been in the makings for over a year. WAYY before LG announced anything.

The Palm Pre on the other hand is one of many iPhone imitators that have come after.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    Irony...it's a bummer...

Do we all remember how they talked down about multi-tasking and have been pushing Push Notifications and how awesome it is versus multi-tasking...Palm did it well, and most likely Apple will come out with something flashy and claim they have invented it and brainwash the smug apple owners that Palm copied Apple.
    How true. My manager owns an iPhone and when I talked about multitasking, he very smugly talked about how unnecessary a feature like that is in a phone and blah blah blah. Let's see what he and all the other Apple ******* say once they implement their version of multitasking in 4.0.
    Don't the Iphones cost about double the cost of Pre's?
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    it's also worth noting that the specific issue he was getting at is that palm is not nearly as restrictive in the use of your device as apple.

palm doesn't have a non-compete binding that limits the types of apps or functions officially sanctioned on device or forbids the use of certain APIs (save for those not yet released or possibly dangerous).

they've also made app development and deployment in general a very open affair and have embraced and acknowledged the homebrew community.

quite the difference, eh?
    Another thing I thought about. Jailbreak your apple, and if Apple finds out.. bye bye warranty. Palm doesn't care if you use preware.. phone breaks with Preware on it, they will just fix it. Now i'm not an Apple basher.. since I used to own an ipod touch and still use an ipod in the gym. It makes sense for Apple to implement multi-tasking as best they can in order not to look 'dated' compared to the competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayln View Post
    no. not at all.
    you're free to create your own apps and freely download the sdk or use ares.

the webOS doesn't require jailbreaking or rooting.
    it's a pretty open and free operating system.

as long as you have a little knowledge, you can easily sideload apps or modify as you see fit.

and please don't come back with "and lack of this knowledge doesn't dictate the parameters in which you may utilize your device?"
    Sooooo....any OS with an SDK is completely open and unlimited because anybody can download it, learn to be a developer AND a designer, and then create whatever they see fit, right?
    Doesn't this thread belong in "Cross-platform?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Sooooo....any OS with an SDK is completely open and unlimited because anybody can download it, learn to be a developer AND a designer, and then create whatever they see fit, right?
    maybe you missed the parts where:
    (a)you don't need to pay for the sdk.
    (b)there's no requirement to pay per app in order to receive a validation key and have your device accept it as officially granted
    (c)there's no jailbreaking or rooting required.

did you even follow the discussion and what it pertained to?

missing functionality!=non-allowed functionality.

simply because the app you desire isn't available is not the same thing as the app you desire not being allowed by palm.

your use of your device is not being dictated by palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by gladesmellzgood View Post
    The LG Prada may have come out first but its performance was basically not anywhere as good as the iPhone. That's the point he was trying to bring. While the original was amazing at a lot of things it also had its flaws, I can admit that. Also you do know that product development cycles take quite a bit of time, so that design could have been done for quite some time before they revealed it in January. You can't deny the iPhone revolutionized the smartphone market because it's true. The iPod has done the same for the MP3 player market and now they're better products out such as the Zune HD. Now I am an Apple fanb0y but I do realize other awesome products as well, such as the Palm Pre, Nexus One, Nokia N900, HTC HD2, Blackberry Bold 2 and their respective OS's. Which as far as Android goes I think it still has a way to go and it will get there but Web OS is just simply an amazing OS. With Windows Mobile i feel that maybe Windows Mobile 7 will bring some innovation and the blackberry OS needs a serious reboot. While I was never an original Palm fan, I am now any company that can make an OS this amazing is worth following. I will continue to follow Apple and Palm and if an iPhone comes to Verizon I will own a Pre Plus and an iPhone.
    My response was in regards to "Who started the smartphone touchscreen revolution?" not which company or product is better. Apple did not start the touchscreen revolution. Apple is a great consumer product for sure, but to someone more technical, there is a lot to be desired. I stand with my comment on the LG Prada being the groundbreaking touchscreen smartphone. I was unveiled almost a year before the original iPhone. It's not my opinion, it's not arguable, it's objective fact. Apple basically copied the whole build of the Prada, and it's funny now how any phone that comes out that looks even somewhat similar to the iPhone, the Apple drones yell "copycat" and are not gadget savvy enough to know that Apples build is almost a carbon copy of the Prada, which at the time there was no phones out with that form factor. Just because Apple markets its products to the layperson and they market the living crap out of their products, doesnt not make them innovative, or original. The iPhone hasnt changed really all that much in it's three builds even. They almost all look identical, and up until recently couldnt even perform a simple archaic MMS task, which my 7 year old LG VX600 was able to do. I dont like how Apple locks its phones either, or how you arent even allowed to replace your own battery. This is just scratching the surface of my disdain for Apple and it's products. If being popular makes a phone great, sure Apple is King of the Hill, but I prefer function over popularity. That being said, from the some of the responses Ive seen on numerous boards from Apple drones, I hardly doubt they'd have any use for many of the functions that are available for current phones, or able to change their battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayln View Post
    maybe you missed the parts where:
    (a)you don't need to pay for the sdk.
    (b)there's no requirement to pay per app in order to receive a validation key and have your device accept it as officially granted
    (c)there's no jailbreaking or rooting required.

did you even follow the discussion and what it pertained to?

missing functionality!=non-allowed functionality.

simply because the app you desire isn't available is not the same thing as the app you desire not being allowed by palm.

your use of your device is not being dictated by palm.
    Apple doesn't "allow" many of these things, and yet people are developing non-approved apps and using them anyway.

You cannot use homebrew in any official capacity either. That one voids your warranty and the other does not isn't much of a difference.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iRobot View Post
    My response was in regards to "Who started the smartphone touchscreen revolution?" not which company or product is better. Apple did not start the touchscreen revolution. ...I was unveiled almost a year before the original iPhone.
    Show me an unveiling of the LG prada in Jan '06....

They were being built at the same time. LG announced their phone a few weeks ahead of Apple. You think Apple copied them within a month? They already had a built version of the iPhone by Janurary and it already had been in the makings for over a year. WAYY before LG announced anything.

The Palm Pre on the other hand is one of many iPhone imitators that have come after.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    That's like saying that having limited variety of restaurants where you live doesn't restrict what kinds of meals you can enjoy because all of the ingredients are available at the grocery store. I love New York style pizza but I felt I couldn't get it even though tomatoes, mozzerella cheese, and ingredients for pizza dough are right here.
    stupid analogy.
    it's more like saying you've been allotted a credit card which is the only method of payment in your area.
    unfortunately, your company only allows you to use said credit card at the limited variety of restaurants nearby.
    there are many grocery stores offering myriad ingredients to create your own meals but your company does not allow payments to be processed with said grocery stores.

Either way, you don't get to use the app. Makes no practical difference as far as I can tell. I can't afford to own my own helicopter for fun. Whether or not it is allowed in my community makes little difference to me.
    you don't get to use the app yet because it hasn't yet been invented is a far cry from you don't get to use the app ever because it isn't officially allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Apple doesn't "allow" many of these things, and yet people are developing non-approved apps and using them anyway.

You cannot use homebrew in any official capacity either. That one voids your warranty and the other does not isn't much of a difference.
    right.
    these actions are not officially sanctioned by apple and void your warranty.

utilizing homebrew on webOS doesn't void your warranty.
    it's actually a big difference.

apple has a walled garden which if you leave the confines of, you're thrown out.

palm has a garden with many entrances and you're free to come and go.

I don't see how hard it is to understand the essential difference in philosophy with which these two companies develop their products and the practical applications thereof.
    I'm sticking with palm, I'm loving what they are doing with the phone market. The iPhone is such a sheep product. The fact that there likly adding half-*ssed multi taskin doesn't change me. Honestly I would be shocked if Apple added it without a hardware change. Thats how they do everything else. I like the open'ness that palm is giving its phone. That is why I'm staying.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast