Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    don't think so, I don't remember when you can flip iphone safari's tab page up to close it, nor is any of those tabs have live content.
    Hence me saying it is a DERIVATIVE of the concept and not a Xerox of it.
  2.    #42  
    lets face it though, even if multitasking is the worst out of the droid, google phone, pre, etc, apple will advertise the crap out of it and make it seem like the best thing ever and people will fall for it. in all honesty, i think palm needs to really make a push on flash since that's the only thing that will be missing on the iphone, and make those users realize what theyre missing. being able to stream videos on the go will be better than anything any phone could offer. unless there's already a phone that can do this and i just dont know about.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    One way I see them implementing multitasking is having a sliding icon tray of open apps on bottom of the screen.
    It just doesn't matter to me. Multi-tasking doesn't sell the Pre, the whole package sells the Pre: 3g that works in flyover country, a monthly price that doesn't require amputation, a unified inbox, simple notifications, a company that doesn't sell me an ecosystem, homebrew that isn't ***** upon by the company, all of this on a phone with the best multi-tasking interface there is.

Apple and Palm are not taking one another to court. They will play games with one another and rattle sabers, but they have, so far, seemed completely unwilling to engage lawyers.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    +1 on that ecosystem crap!
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    +1 on that ecosystem crap!
    You do realize this is one of the main reasons Apple is doing so well and Palm is failing as a company right now?
    Who really cares? Lets talk Pre...
    It'll be interesting on other companies take on multitasking. I for one won't be affected by the news.
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    Who started the smartphone touchscreen revolution?
    Actually it was the LG Prada, Apple copied them, but you seem like an Apple faboy diehard, so I'm sure you didn't know that. The whole design of the iPhone is actually a complete copy of the Prada, Google it sometime.

I've read your posts in a few threads now, do you even like Palm?
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    at this moment in time palm has done nothing to show that the palm pre can multi task
    palm ( -1)
    also, if iphone comes out with multitasking they will make another iphone for 100 more dollars and advertise the skadoodles out of it
    iphone( + over 9000)
    -1 < over 9,000
    I dont care what the magicians at Apple come up with next. Palm pwns!
    Quote Originally Posted by iRobot View Post
    Actually it was the LG Prada, Apple copied them, but you seem like an Apple faboy diehard, so I'm sure you didn't know that. The whole design of the iPhone is actually a complete copy of the Prada, Google it sometime.

I've read your posts in a few threads now, do you even like Palm?
    The LG Prada may have come out first but its performance was basically not anywhere as good as the iPhone. That's the point he was trying to bring. While the original was amazing at a lot of things it also had its flaws, I can admit that. Also you do know that product development cycles take quite a bit of time, so that design could have been done for quite some time before they revealed it in January. You can't deny the iPhone revolutionized the smartphone market because it's true. The iPod has done the same for the MP3 player market and now they're better products out such as the Zune HD. Now I am an Apple fanb0y but I do realize other awesome products as well, such as the Palm Pre, Nexus One, Nokia N900, HTC HD2, Blackberry Bold 2 and their respective OS's. Which as far as Android goes I think it still has a way to go and it will get there but Web OS is just simply an amazing OS. With Windows Mobile i feel that maybe Windows Mobile 7 will bring some innovation and the blackberry OS needs a serious reboot. While I was never an original Palm fan, I am now any company that can make an OS this amazing is worth following. I will continue to follow Apple and Palm and if an iPhone comes to Verizon I will own a Pre Plus and an iPhone.
    This thread belongs in CROSS PLATFORM
    Show me an mp3 player that performed as well as the iPod before 2001.

Show me a smartphone that performed as well as the iPhone before 2007.
    Not hard.

Archos Jukebox circa 2000 (plenty of others too but that's the one I had).
    Treo 600 circa 2003 (there were other Treos before but that was the one that really worked well).

Don't get me wrong, the Apple products are/were good but they were not groundbreaking or anything particularly new. They built on what had gone before, made it all look slick to the up and coming generation and then went for the jugular with the marketing. It worked, look where Apple is today.
    lets wait and see. Empty discussion don't really mean anything.
    Oh my good, it's raining blood right now, and I've seen four cadaveric guys riding death horses...
    Quote Originally Posted by omamamiA View Post
    at this moment in time palm has done nothing to show that the palm pre can multi task
    palm ( -1)
    also, if iphone comes out with multitasking they will make another iphone for 100 more dollars and advertise the skadoodles out of it
    iphone( + over 9000)
    -1 < over 9,000
    well, sprint and palms adds showed that, but not very focused.

apple's "multitasking" is just another way of managing "some background apps", its something like the android, BB, and WM.

Its a improvement for sure, but its not anywhere close to what Pre is doing.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Multitasking is overrated. As WebOS users we appreciate what it is, but for a large majority of iPhone users then they don't feel handicapped due to the lack of multitasking. It's like being born deaf. You don't know better so your quality of life isn't crippled by what other people feel is a "devastating blow"

Obviously being able to multitask is better than being forced to singletask. BUT, performing one task at a time isn't as crippling as some people feel it is because we are all intelligent enough to adjust our workflow and make changes as necessary. Sure, the handicap sucks sometimes but most of the time you don't even notice that you lost that arm in a woodchipper.

If they do multitasking on iPhone then its a big deal, but I doubt it's going to be the biggest new feature of 4.0. Like them or not, Apple has the ability to floor the technology market and they're long overdue for something shocking.
    Last edited by Urkel; 01/20/2010 at 07:57 AM.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    You do realize this is one of the main reasons Apple is doing so well and Palm is failing as a company right now?
    Really? You like the Apple ecosystem? Having to get your apps from one place. No customization of the phone, at all. Being tied exclusively to the itunes store for half near everything. I mean you can't even have a simple feature like a wall paper. The ecosystem works well for my Mother and many others who just need something to work, so I'm glad its been successful. But there are a lot of Android/WebOS users who need a little more freedom with their device and even with 4.0 they will not find that with an iphone. So if you're comfortable having Apple dictate the parameters in which you can use your device, have at it, however you won't find me there with you.
    Last edited by qst4; 01/20/2010 at 08:37 AM.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    The only thing I'm worried about is the way Apple is going to advertise it.
    They're going to act like they were the first ones to do it. Look at AT&T's advertisements about "multitasking". I feel like it's going to be like that.

Sprint's already done a stellar job, but people don't listen to Sprint because they still see the "old sprint"...
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast