Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Why would I want a Pre and not an Android?

Most people I talk to say that Palm is not doing well and that I should avoid it. I am thinking of either getting the Pre Plus when it comes to Verizon or waiting til the Android Nexus One comes to Verizon in late Spring.

How can I see all the apps in the app catalog for Palm? Are there a lot of them? Does ustream.tv have an app for Pre?
    All official app catalog apps are listed here, as part of Palm's free app distribution system.
    http://www.precentral.net/app-gallery/app-catalog/

you want a pre for its superior multitasking, superior notification system, superior OS upgrading system. One hand operation with physical keyboard that you can type with eyes off the screen.
    Well, you're comparing apples to oranges here. The Pre is a phone, Android is an operating system. There's TONS of different Android phones to choose from, so comparing that hardware to the Pre is pointless because there's just too many. The phone operating systems, webOS vs Android, I can comment on. I've used both extensively. Android imho, is a mess. The UI is inconsistent, some of the icon click areas aren't the same size, the onscreen keyboard is horrific. The music player is barebones at best. It's also well-supported with a large app store. WebOS is super easy to use, *constantly* evolving and improving with updates with a wonderful user support base and a great patching community. Both OSes have their flaws, but I think webOS is better than Android. YMMV.
    Just really quick...I was looking at the hero and the pre when I was getting ready to upgrade and i went with the pre based upon the notification system. i love the way the pre handles all of my notifications. It might not seem like a big thing but it makes answering/checking all my emails/texts/missed calls and such incredibly quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by livinofframen View Post
    Well, you're comparing apples to oranges here. The Pre is a phone, Android is an operating system. There's TONS of different Android phones to choose from, so comparing that hardware to the Pre is pointless because there's just too many. The phone operating systems, webOS vs Android, I can comment on. I've used both extensively. Android imho, is a mess. The UI is inconsistent, some of the icon click areas aren't the same size, the onscreen keyboard is horrific. The music player is barebones at best. It's also well-supported with a large app store. WebOS is super easy to use, *constantly* evolving and improving with updates with a wonderful user support base and a great patching community. Both OSes have their flaws, but I think webOS is better than Android. YMMV.
    Pretty much my sentiments exactly.

Android is solid, but inconsistent. I had the privilege of using a G1 since launch and other Android phones. I rooted, modded, added custom roms ,etc.

All in all, Android is good but I really feel WebOS has more of the overall package.

Notifications are spot on, gesture based OS, solid touchscreen, and general flow to the OS is much better than Android. It's younger and it's not without its kinks, however, I feel, having used both, that it's the best thing going.
    With the Pre you can get a new phone every 2 months...since that has been the average lifespan of my phones. Not damage, just stopped working for one reason or another.

Yay build quality!
    Quote Originally Posted by splitz View Post
    With the Pre you can get a new phone every 2 months...since that has been the average lifespan of my phones. Not damage, just stopped working for one reason or another.

Yay build quality!
    im still on my first Pre that is as old as any Pre out there.
    From all the newest Pre's I have seen the Hardware is much better and a lot more reliable.
    Preware & WebOS Internals Supporter
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Main_Page

IRC chat
    #webos-internals
    Get an HTC for the build quality. Palm's hardware is a joke. If you get a Pre, make sure you have an easily accessible Sprint store, you'll get to know those guys on a first name basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyp View Post
    Get an HTC for the build quality. Palm's hardware is a joke. If you get a Pre, make sure you have an easily accessible Sprint store, you'll get to know those guys on a first name basis.
    thats absurd.

you might be unlucky, but why exaggerating a personal bad experience to a universal level? every smartphone in the martket has hardware problems occasionally, if somebody want a guaranteed 100% perfect smartphone, he might well just forget about it.

I, for one, know nobody in sprint stores and Im on my first Pre I got on launch day.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    thats absurd.

you might be unlucky, but why exaggerating a personal bad experience to a universal level? every smartphone in the martket has hardware problems occasionally, if somebody want a guaranteed 100% perfect smartphone, he might well just forget about it.

I, for one, know nobody in sprint stores and Im on my first Pre I got on launch day.
    Well, I'm on my third and my wife's on her fourth. Go over to the Palm forums and see how many people are having problems. Considering the number of people having problems and the small market share, there's a huge QC issue at Palm.
    I've personally heard horror stories about HTC's build quality. I've only had 1 Palm device in my past before the Pre, but that lasted over 2 years and still is one piece and working. I have a launch day Pre and it still works just fine.
    Except for me who has never returned to Bell since I bought my Pre in July.
    Well, I'm on my third and my wife's on her fourth. Go over to the Palm forums and see how many people are having problems. Considering the number of people having problems and the small market share, there's a huge QC issue at Palm.
    i can say the same thing with iPhone based on my experience at macrumors. and I guess there will be just as many complaints at crackberry or android center.

The thing is, satisfied customers dont complain, and there are about 1m Pre users out there, how many of them have problems?

I said Im sorry for your bad luck, but thats extreme rare case and you can't possibly make a universal statement just based on that.
    I had 3 HTC hero's in three weeks. They tried to give me a 4th. I said keep it and went back to my 2+ year old centro till I decide what i want. HTC has the worst build quality I have ever seen in a phone. Do a search on all of the problems with the nexus one.

My wife has a Pixi, this has to be one of the best built phones I have ever seen.
    The slider phone doesn't feel as solid as the brick phone. Duh.
    It's been said before, but you should pick your carrier first, then the hardware (because without reliable hardware, the OS is useless), then the operating system.

If we were talking Sprint, I would say get any other phone besides the Pre based on unreliable hardware. But since we are talking a new revision on Verizon...give that Pre Plus a try.
    Go Pixi! Great build quality. Yeah, it's supposed to be the stepdown to the Pre, and is in terms of lack of Wifi, smaller screen, and lesser internals. But it's got a wonderful keyboard, a fine screen, and has all of the benefits of WebOS, and the build quality is fabulous! I notice little lag.
    Though if you're looking to watch tv on your phone, it may not be the one for you.
    ~Annie

I heart my Pixi
    Cracks my up, anytime you have a thread with "android" in it, it brings the trolls out.
  20. sko
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    I guess Palm needs to put a label on their phones: "Not to, under any circumstances, be used as a hammer."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast