Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok i just got this palm pre. the phone is cool and everything.

but with my touch pro 2 all I had to do to get the best of my phone was flash Mighty Rom and I was good to go.

Here with the pre it looks like is much more complicated. I updated the software to 1.3.5.1 and it doesnt seem I can tether FREELY and SIMPLY with this phone.

considering returning this baby.... unless you convince me I shouldn and why.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Bye.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    I think I remember you from PPC Geeks, anyway you should mess with it a little more. Here you can't really rely on cooks to make you ROMs with all the tweaks you wan't but you can basically patch a lot of things to make stuff work. I started making my own ROMs Windows Mobile and jailbreaking for an iPhone is very similar to patching on the Pre. With WebOS Quick Install and Preware all you have to do is add stuff without having to boot an entire ROM which is more convenient. Hopefully someone who is more well versed with the Pre will help you out as I am just beginning myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    Bye.
    LOL. Harsh!!
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    The phone does, or doesn't, do the convincing, not us.
    being a former winmo i can tell you homebrew on the pre is 100x easier on the pre than it is on winmo, and its customizable to what you want/need. however tethering is not simple right now. but, there is some speculation that once the verizon pre plus is released it will be much easier to tether since that pre webos will be tailored to allow tethering. once everything is in place for the verizon tethering, some people think it will be much easier/better to tether.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Guy walks into a bar. Says nothing. Has a drink. Then, first thing he says, "hey guys.. this bar sucks. Unless you guys convince me otherwise, I'm gonna leave."

i just got my pre about 4 days ago and ive already got tethering, and about 40 patches loaded up. its not hard
    WebOS quick install, Preware, mytether. If you try you can see the webos is very customizable.
    The problem with you (all Sprint users, I mean) is webOS 1.3.5.1

Here in Spain, is has easy has pairing the phone with the computer.

Maybe someone at webOS-Internals could extract the files from european rom, or you could doctorize your Pres with webOS 1.3.5.2
    Windows Mobile sucks. I will never go back to it, no matter how much they change it in version 7. I had it since the PPC 2000 days, and then Windows Mobile 2002, 2003, 2003SE, 2005, 6, 6.1, and 6.5. Too many problems, and the interface isn't intuitive enough.

For WebOS, all I have to do is press a button or swipe up to change programs, and it runs at a decent speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Guy walks into a bar. Says nothing. Has a drink. Then, first thing he says, "hey guys.. this bar sucks. Unless you guys convince me otherwise, I'm gonna leave."

Then, only a few minutes after all this happens, a horse walks into the same bar.
    Bartender asks it:
    "Why the long face?"
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Then, only a few minutes after all this happens, a horse walks into the same bar.
    Bartender asks it:
    "Why the long face?"
    Hah....

Anyway, the OP makes it seem too easy. There isn't sucha thing as simply flashing the perfect WinMo ROM and be done with it. A perfect ROM for one, might be crap for another. + There's new prefect ROM every day. When I had a WinMo phone I remember flashing multiple times a month. And after flashing I couldn't just sign into my Palm profile and relax, but had to reinstall/set all kinds of ****..
    As fun as it might be to flame this down, I'll drop some knowledge on to this thread.

Jason Robitaille has hinted his next project would be a ROM cooker. He tweeted a photo of Tux in a chef's outfit.

To the OP, there's no ROM cooking YET, there are actually 2 tethering projects, MyTether and FreeTether. And once the Verizon ROM goes public, the guys at WebOSInternals will know how exactly to call the mobilehotspot service for wifi tethering. Look into Preware and the patches available through it to mod your device. Patches kind of cook your ROM as you're using it. Also even if ROM cooking starts happening, it will be nothing like WinMo, because unlike WinMo we get an update to our OS every 20 some odd days that continues to have performance enhancements to our device. How often do you see an update to WinMo? Once a year?

Please don't compare WebOS to such a dead in the water OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Hah....

Anyway, the OP makes it seem too easy. There isn't sucha thing as simply flashing the perfect WinMo ROM and be done with it. A perfect ROM for one, might be crap for another. + There's new prefect ROM every day. When I had a WinMo phone I remember flashing multiple times a month. And after flashing I couldn't just sign into my Palm profile and relax, but had to reinstall/set all kinds of ****..
    Shoot, I used to flash almost daily. It gets tiring very quickly since 90% of the ROMs are junk, especially Mighty Rom.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Guy walks into a bar and finds out that the bar doesn't take cards. In the back room there is a no-fees ATM [no machine here]. Without cash he can either be shown where the machine is or he can leave and the handful of patrons in the bar can continue to have their space, unburdened by the masses that could possibly spend a little and support the bar.

Sometimes I think that a good many on this board like the fact that the Pre isn't as popular as other phones and they enjoy having something that only a few have.

Personally I want to see more and more Pres out there drawing more and more attention. A quick offer of help to the OP with tethering, even if it is just a link to another thread, may help keep him in the Pre.
    Last edited by J_Bone; 01/19/2010 at 10:06 AM. Reason: To remove "machine" after the TLA acronym "ATM" (sea what I did thar).
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Bone View Post
    Guys walks into a bar and finds out that the bar doesn't take cards. In the back room there is a no-fees ATM machine. Without cash he can either be shown where the machine is or he can leave and the handful of patrons in the bar can continue to have their space, unburdened by the masses that could possibly spend a little and support the bar.

Sometimes I think that a good many on this board like the fact that the Pre isn't as popular as other phones and they enjoy having something that only a few have.

Personally I want to see more and more Pres out there drawing more and more attention. A quick offer of help to the OP with tethering, even if it is just a link to another thread, may help keep him in the Pre.
    If it's "ATM machine", then what does the "M" in ATM stand for?
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    har har har..... Wanna get me on the grammar of the first two words while yer at it? Too lazy to edit right now.
    Why is my concern to convince someone to stay?

Its your personal opinion..you make the decision. If you like WinMo better go with WinMo.
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Bone View Post
    har har har..... Wanna get me on the grammar of the first two words while yer at it? Too lazy to edit right now.
    Yeah, I was wondering about that too.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast