Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    WM tether is indeed great, easy, and good

MyTether seems to interfere with some 3D games on Pre (is it fixed?).

Still, Palm shows that tethering is easy on the Pre, so the problem is with sprint. If sprint allows tether on their WM devices, they should allow it on the Pre too. com' on.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I'd be with ya if he just came on with nothing more than a "convince me" attitude but he actually had a specific issue that requires a homebrew workaround.

Maybe we are just focusing on two different parts of his fairly short post.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    If it's "ATM machine", then what does the "M" in ATM stand for?
    I hate it when people do that. That, and "my NIC card"...
    Oh yeah, and "hot water heaters". Why would anyone want to heat water that's already hot???
    That's like saying NIC card. What does the "C" stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    ... Oh yeah, and "hot water heaters". Why would anyone want to heat water that's already hot???
    What you need is a COLD water heater son.
    i hate it when people do that. That, and "my nic card"...
    Oh yeah, and "hot water heaters". Why would anyone want to heat water that's already hot???
    lol lol
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    WM tether is indeed great, easy, and good

MyTether seems to interfere with some 3D games on Pre (is it fixed?).
    The donation-ware version does when you enable wifi tethering. Ryan Hope, who is one of the top developers in WebOS-Internals community has an app called FreeTether in alpha testing. He has been trying to back engineer the new mobilehotspot service introduced in 1.3.5 for Verizon's tethering plan. He hasn't had much luck, and is slowly reaching the point where he will just get a Verizon ROM and look at the source for the Verizon Mobile Hotspot app to determine how it calls the service for wifi tethering.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cocochannel View Post
    Ok i just got this palm pre. the phone is cool and everything.

but with my touch pro 2 all I had to do to get the best of my phone was flash Mighty Rom and I was good to go.

Here with the pre it looks like is much more complicated. I updated the software to 1.3.5.1 and it doesnt seem I can tether FREELY and SIMPLY with this phone.

considering returning this baby.... unless you convince me I shouldn and why.
    if you can old on for a couple more weeks the pre plus is going to be launched it has the mobile hotspot app in there which i'm sure will be ripped for all to use.
    Ok i just got this palm pre. the phone is cool and everything.

but with my touch pro 2 all I had to do to get the best of my phone was flash Mighty Rom and I was good to go.

Here with the pre it looks like is much more complicated. I updated the software to 1.3.5.1 and it doesnt seem I can tether FREELY and SIMPLY with this phone.

considering returning this baby.... unless you convince me I shouldn and why.
    It's the attitude of entitlement, deliberate ir not, that's problematic about this post.

*Ask* us for help and I, for one, would be more likely to give it. Luckily, some nice people have taken care of the request.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Why is my concern to convince someone to stay?

Its your personal opinion..you make the decision. If you like WinMo better go with WinMo.
    I think this is the best answer to the OP.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by gladesmellzgood View Post
    I think I remember you from PPC Geeks, anyway you should mess with it a little more. Here you can't really rely on cooks to make you ROMs with all the tweaks you wan't but you can basically patch a lot of things to make stuff work. I started making my own ROMs Windows Mobile and jailbreaking for an iPhone is very similar to patching on the Pre. With WebOS Quick Install and Preware all you have to do is add stuff without having to boot an entire ROM which is more convenient. Hopefully someone who is more well versed with the Pre will help you out as I am just beginning myself.
    Yes this is me, the one and only, the famous and unforgettable cocochannel.

So after reading all of these posts. Some people just get it wrong.
    I said I like the phone and the OS is without question BETTER than WinMO.

However I dont see an easy way to tether. I am a google***** so before I asked I looked up for the tethering tutorial. It starts with "Yes its very easy to tether". and you end up with like 100 steps. With Winmo you can either install a cab or the customized roms already have it setup.

I am confused with the terms used here and I guess it's just a matter of getting used to it.

When you're talking about "patching" is it like like installing cabs with Winmo?

You're talking about "Preware" and "WebOsQuickInstall". What are they? What are the differences? Do I need both? Are they like some type of "Cydia" with iphone?

I tried to install the WebOquickInstall and its not working because I have windows 7 and it seems windows 7 have issues with this.

Thats why I say its just more complicated. I still have 28 days with this phone to judge.

PS: you dont need to be mean and defensive.
    Yes this is me, the one and only, the famous and unforgettable cocochannel.

So after reading all of these posts. Some people just get it wrong.
    I said I like the phone and the OS is without question BETTER than WinMO.

However I dont see an easy way to tether. I am a google***** so before I asked I looked up for the tethering tutorial. It starts with "Yes its very easy to tether". and you end up with like 100 steps. With Winmo you can either install a cab or the customized roms already have it setup.

I am confused with the terms used here and I guess it's just a matter of getting used to it.

When you're talking about "patching" is it like like installing cabs with Winmo?

You're talking about "Preware" and "WebOsQuickInstall". What are they? What are the differences? Do I need both? Are they like some type of "Cydia" with iphone?

I tried to install the WebOquickInstall and its not working because I have windows 7 and it seems windows 7 have issues with this.

Thats why I say its just more complicated. I still have 28 days with this phone to judge.

PS: you dont need to be mean and defensive.
    Man, WOSQI (WebOS Quick Install) works perfectly with win7.

Lesson 0:

Patching: installing packages that modify system or bundled apps files. You have to download it directly to your Pre (using Preware) or to your computer (using WOSQI).

WOSQI: Great utility that allows you to install homebrew apps and patches from your computer to your Pre.

Preware: Great app that allows you to install homebrew apps and patches directly to your Pre.

That's all the basic stuff you need to know before starting.
    The same thing that the "C" stands for in "NIC card"...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I hate it when people do that. That, and "my NIC card"...
    Oops, you beat me to the first one...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Patches are basically cabs but even easier to install and easier to totally delete most of the time.

WebOSQuickInstall (WOQI) is like software for your computer that helps you manage and install your app.

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...l-v2-96-a.html
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    Bye.
    Typical useless comment. So many of these nowadays on these boards.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Man, WOSQI (WebOS Quick Install) works perfectly with win7.

Lesson 0:

Patching: installing packages that modify system or bundled apps files. You have to download it directly to your Pre (using Preware) or to your computer (using WOSQI).

WOSQI: Great utility that allows you to install homebrew apps and patches from your computer to your Pre.

Preware: Great app that allows you to install homebrew apps and patches directly to your Pre.

That's all the basic stuff you need to know before starting.
    THANKS A LOT.

I got both to work! Im starting to fall in love with this phone already...

Now I need to get the the tethering to work. Is there a solution for 1.5.3.1 or would i have to downgrade the firmware?
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    The same thing that the "C" stands for in "NIC card"...
    The "M" stands for "Card"?

To the OP, PreWare and WebOS Quickinstall are the easiest to use. Unfortunately, many of the posts on installing patches etc have remnants from months ago when it was more convoluted than it is now.
    Study the wiki for a while, it's kept fairly current and the obsolete info is deleted regularly.
    THANKS A LOT.

Now I need to get the the tethering to work. Is there a solution for 1.5.3.1 or would i have to downgrade the firmware?
    I can't help you with this... I'm european, so I have tethering officially supported

Just wait a few weeks, I assume webOS 1.4 will have tethering enabled for all.
    THANKS A LOT.

Will you settle for USB Tethering and/or BT Tethering until the Verizon ROM is out?(January 25th)
    stick with it coco i promise after a few good patches and apps youll be deep in love. I know i am, havent touched my touch pro 2 since. This phone just works, beautifully.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast