Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    I've been lurking on PreCentral for 2 years and 5 weeks now... waiting for the day when AT&T will finally get a Pre (for me) and a Pixi (for her).

That's a long time comin' folks. I'm waaaaaaay past envy and nigh onto frustration at this point...

When do we get an AT&T Pre?

I'd like to see/feel a slab device b/f I'd confirm one way or the other. I think if the screen got much bigger it would be harder to handle the cards. I mean more area = longer swipes. My main gripe w/virtual keyboards is it's a lot harder to text and dive. Now that it's frowned upon, and illegal in most cases, that argument goes out the window, so I'd be fine with one.

2. That would be low on my priority list. I guess it wouldn't hurt though.

3. I think this was in palm's back pocket for awhile, and they were developing it slowly due to limited resources. I feel because of the openness of the platform, and the great community behind (internals) Palm will be able to keep up in the software dept. As for the hardware, only time will tell.

4. This feels like computers were in the early 00s. 6 months after one was released, double the ram and the hd space and sell for the same price. I didn't expect a full refresh after 6 months.

5. They'll get on ATT here soon, the apps will begin to flow (pdk), the flaws of webos will begin to be hammered out (speed speed speed), then they'll release a new device and blow the rest of their $$ on marketing. It'll either be a home run or strike 3.

6. The speed and the elegant hardware (glass/metal) would be great if palm could match that. The app store couldn't hurt either. Naturally the multitasking would be missed. And the iphone notifications would **** the crap out of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rene Ritchie View Post
    1. The multitouch part I'm okay with. Familiar territory. But the keyboard at the bottom of both, do I *really* need it? I've gotten to love virtual keyboards so much I've arrogantly proclaimed the era of physical keyboards is over. Was Ruby right though, and Jobs wrong, would none of you prefer a webOS slab with a huge screen and no keyboard? Like an HD2 or Nexus style webOS OGRE?
    the pre is my first smartphone. before I found the 2009 ces videos, I was looking for a smartphone that was smaller than the iphone or the g1. I liked the athsetics of the pre's design, and loved the pop out keyboard. being my first smartphone, I didn't want to go right to an only on screen keyboard, but on the other hand, I don't like the look of a landscape keyboard. its just a matter of personal preference, but I do recognize that the pre's keyboard isn't for everyone, and because of that, I think palm should introduce more various styles of phones to run webos.
    2. You totally kick Apple's **** on notifications and multitasking. The multitasking visual metaphor is so good, in fact, that it's making me mad I can drag between cards. I do that a lot on the desktop, click and drag between windows. Is that something you can see Palm adding to webOS, tap and drag between cards? Or is that even needed on a mobile device yet?
    it could happen. It might be just as easy to copy and paste, but I do find text selection to be different and weird through out the phone which makes it difficult to copy what you want. they could also get into dragging files as app icons into cards, or cards into cards, maybe in a 2.0 iteration of webos?
    3. Arguably, with almost no money and limited resources, Palm out-innovated everyone last year. I'll say straight out they clowned Google, who I'm sure wishes they thought of webOS first, and couldn't improve Android as fast as Palm launched an entirely new OS. How did they do this? Rubinstein's vision? California magic? And if it forces other companies to innovate just as fast, given that limited money and resources, how can Palm keep up with the Apple and Google types?
    I'm not sure when the creation of webos officially started, but they could have been working on it for a wile, wile palm os and their windows mobile phones were losing market share? just a guess, I don't really know anything about it. but the speed could also just be out of desperation to stop losing market share, before palm fell off the face of the earth.

I honestly don't know how they can keep up, and frankly I don't see much of it. the introduction of webos was phanominal, but we didn't see how many capabilities the platform was lacking. now they are adding those capabilities, and webos is becoming a me too platform. from the 2010 ces interview of rubenstein, it seems that his position is that apps will bring about the capabilities, and he wants to leave that up to app deveopers outside of palm. obviously, I think they are behind on some things because palm was almost dead, and because they started from scratch, and because this is rubenstiens project? and I guess he might not know all of palm os' capabilities that people want built into webos? again just a guess.

they need to be inovating to stay in the game, or atleast a major contender. more carriers may help a bit. they need to advertise, present, and brand better to get more mind share.

4. What do you think about the Palm Pre Plus and Palm Pixi Plus? From last year to this, Apple went from the iPhone 3G/2.0 to iPhone 3GS/3.0, Android went from the G1/1.0 to the DROID/2.0. On the other hand, Microsoft went from Windows Mobile 6 to 6.5 and BlackBerry from the 9000 to 9700. How much of an improvement has Palm made over the last year, and blending into the previous question, is it enough for you? What are you happy they added, what are you sad they didn't?
    I've only had my pre since november, so I've only heard about webos experiences at launch. alot of the improvements I've seen are things that I expected at launch. I'm typing this on my phone, and I can tell that the browser still lacks some basic functionality. I have to scroll side to side with each line if I want to see what I'm typing, because the view doesn't move with the curser. I was hoping that accessing the gpu also ment unloading the rest of the phones graphics and animation there, and not just 3d games. well, for the major operating systems, it looks like a full number upgrade of the os only came with brand new hardware. I don't know if the plus is a brand new phone, or if its just more of what the original pre had, wile the pixi is just less of what the pre had. so maybe webos 2.0 won't be out till we get a new slate or landscape keyboard phone from palm? and in a nutshell, all I want from I os upgrades is the functionality of every phone out there. this is when I wish palm had an empire. instead, they are taking the route of opensourceness so that I can patch up my phone, which probably provides more options, which is pretty cool.

5. What's next for Palm? They're getting on more carriers, so what else do they need 2010 to bring? Do they need webOS 2.0? Another device form-factor? Some huge app announcements? A content deal? Their own local sync software? What pieces do they simply have to add this year not just to survive, but to be one of the big players heading into 2011?
    all of the above! not to be too cynical, but that's why I don't think they're a "big player." market share speaks for itself, and palm needs to remain in a state of desperate inovation, and treding more carefully in the way of advertising, to compete with the big boys.

6. If you could steal one feature of the iPhone and give it to webOS, what would it be? By contrast, what single feature does webOS have you'd miss most if you had to switch to an iPhone (like for the Round Robin). There's pros and cons to every device, so I'm trying to get the best sense of trade-offs I can.
    I don't kno what's all on the iphone platform, but I love how polished the UI looks. I know that's steve being anal, but it works much better than on webos. for example, i think palm should have polished the launcher a lot better.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    by the way, trying to improve the look of the launcher, im trying to sort my app icons by how they are shaped on each page. the first has mostly squarified icons, the middle has round, and the last has all the system apps from palm. i could just put a theme on my phone, but i dont think that changes icons that are not palm stock apps.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

but, I can't choose a single good feature that I would miss from webos. they are all first gen, but they have so much potential: universalish search, notifications, gestures, etc. when my contract is up, I'll be looking for whichever platform will win my dollar. maybe a product from palm?
    Last edited by patricksmangan; 02/11/2010 at 02:26 AM.

1. The multitouch part I'm okay with. Familiar territory. But the keyboard at the bottom of both, do I *really* need it? I've gotten to love virtual keyboards so much I've arrogantly proclaimed the era of physical keyboards is over. Was Ruby right though, and Jobs wrong, would none of you prefer a webOS slab with a huge screen and no keyboard? Like an HD2 or Nexus style webOS OGRE?
    I have seen people that are just as fast on their virtual keyboard as I am on my physical keyboard. Virtual keyboards can be awesome, and some people prefer them. Because there are different preferences, Palm should add a virtual keyboard to WebOS. Happy for people that like that.

But personally, I dont want a bigger phone. I like the way this one fits in my pocket. And I was never patient enough to get through the learning curve of a virtual keyboard. I like the physical.

4. What do you think about the Palm Pre Plus and Palm Pixi Plus? From last year to this, Apple went from the iPhone 3G/2.0 to iPhone 3GS/3.0, Android went from the G1/1.0 to the DROID/2.0. On the other hand, Microsoft went from Windows Mobile 6 to 6.5 and BlackBerry from the 9000 to 9700. How much of an improvement has Palm made over the last year, and blending into the previous question, is it enough for you? What are you happy they added, what are you sad they didn't?
    Personally, I am very impressed with the improvements Palm made. 1.3.5 gave us 3D gaming, and 1.4 will give us a video camera, all without requiring new hardware. Plus, they fixed the app limit which android is still fighting with after all this time and version 2.0.

I do hope for more hardware upgrades and phones using WebOS. It would be great to catch up to the Droid in screen resolution. And I would love a better camera with macro mode. But overall, very happy.
    1 I LOVE having the physical keyboard, was one of the reasons i was drawn to the Pre.

2 dragging between cards may be useful at some point, esp if one could cut text from any source/any card.

3 Palm out-did the others, yes, but without more phones in more hands, they may still die. I would hate to see that!

4 Pre Plus...would miss the middle button for a varaiaty of reasons, and more RAM is always welcome. Push.

5 See # 3.

6 dont know what i would take from the iPhone platform, but would like to see a more robust physical body to the Pre. Feels too plasticy, not as solid as the iPhone.
    No, I personally do not want such a device, thought might I say, if Palm did a WebOS slab, it would put Apple's to shame. Multitasking and Flash are necessary for a tablet computer. Main problem with that though? Yet another resolution for devs. Though I guess a "Pre emulator" or "Pixi emulator" could be built in so any app could be run (just a card with margins to run at the Pre or Pixi's resolution).

2. You totally kick Apple's **** on notifications and multitasking. The multitasking visual metaphor is so good, in fact, that it's making me mad I can drag between cards. I do that a lot on the desktop, click and drag between windows. Is that something you can see Palm adding to webOS, tap and drag between cards? Or is that even needed on a mobile device yet?
    Not entirely sure what you mean here, so I will just assume you mean dragging links to other web browser cards, images from card to card, etc. This is something they should add, and it is a necessity for some business users. Palm should not forget the people that initially bought from them, and for that, I think they should add this for those business users who need it.

3. Arguably, with almost no money and limited resources, Palm out-innovated everyone last year. I'll say straight out they clowned Google, who I'm sure wishes they thought of webOS first, and couldn't improve Android as fast as Palm launched an entirely new OS. How did they do this? Rubinstein's vision? California magic? And if it forces other companies to innovate just as fast, given that limited money and resources, how can Palm keep up with the Apple and Google types?
    If Palm plays their cards (no pun intended) right, they can manage to outplay Google and Apple. To do this, though, they will need to get on more carriers, open the paid app catalog worldwide, fix the GPS issues that might still exist down under (of course, they don't actually have a device in Australia, but Rod Whitby has a Pre or two and had an issue with GPS, though he might not anymore). They also need to have the worldwide release of Pre2 to be synchronized. Release it everywhere on the same day. All of Europe, much of Asia, most of North America, and everywhere in between.

After that, leave ads up to the carriers, but require certain specifications to be met. No full on campaigns targeting the devices to only a portion of people (like Verizon's "Smart enough for Mom" ads). If Palm also outsources manufacturing to a good manufacturer, they can get the build quality issues behind them.

On top of this, they can release Pre2's with 4G radios in areas that can support them (WiMax for Sprint, LTE for everyone else) and for carriers willing to sell them.

I am happy about everything they have done to WebOS and to their line of devices. I am extremely happy to have the 3D gaming here as of one month ago, and I am happy to have a device that can handle it.

I am also happy that 1.4 is coming and will have video recording and flash capabilities.

I am not happy that they do not have desktop sync software and other software/apps more towards the power business user, because I believe they are leaving out a significant portion of their clientele from previous years.

5. What's next for Palm? They're getting on more carriers, so what else do they need 2010 to bring? Do they need webOS 2.0? Another device form-factor? Some huge app announcements? A content deal? Their own local sync software? What pieces do they simply have to add this year not just to survive, but to be one of the big players heading into 2011?
    Palm will need to bring WebOS 2.0 with support for 4G, no download manager throttling, a full on SDK/PDK combo, and capabilities for desktop to device software linking. Maybe using the device as a mouse/keyboard for the computer, a smaller screen for videos from Windows/Linux computers or game systems in the house. Having some sort of a link with desktop software will also help out the business users by allowing them to easily take their phone with them on jobs and have their whole software suite with them to order parts, diagnose, quote, etc. and then sync data when back at the office.

6. If you could steal one feature of the iPhone and give it to webOS, what would it be? By contrast, what single feature does webOS have you'd miss most if you had to switch to an iPhone (like for the Round Robin). There's pros and cons to every device, so I'm trying to get the best sense of trade-offs I can.
    Honestly, I don't think there is a feature of the iPhone I like over what WebOS has to offer. There are several features I would miss going to an iPhone, namely the MULTITASKING, as well as the amazing network with much more 3G coverage than AT&T. But multitasking (and the gesture area) are the main features I would miss going to an iPhone.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    I love the physical keyboard of the Pre and the form-factor. I don't want a rectangular clone phone.
    I would love to have faster processor, or software to maximize the processor. Less lag, a bit larger screen and more memory are my wants
    Quote Originally Posted by boydell View Post
    I have seen people that are just as fast on their virtual keyboard as I am on my physical keyboard. Virtual keyboards can be awesome, and some people prefer them. Because there are different preferences, Palm should add a virtual keyboard to WebOS. Happy for people that like that.

But personally, I dont want a bigger phone. I like the way this one fits in my pocket. And I was never patient enough to get through the learning curve of a virtual keyboard. I like the physical.

I do hope for more hardware upgrades and phones using WebOS. It would be great to catch up to the Droid in screen resolution. And I would love a better camera with macro mode. But overall, very happy.
    I couldn't have said it better myself...agree with all those points 100%
  9. ads
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I think they've got the platform to really shine. If they come out on AT&T, that will hopefully get them enough share to survive - I think that's the key.
    ADS
    Being Canadian, I think the biggest thing for us would be to change the Operator (Bell is not exactly the best out here) and give us access to paid app. With those 2 things, it would really help presenting the phone as a true alternative to popular phones.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Give me a real keyboard any day, many people feel this way, gotta have a real button to push.
    I am with you. Had a virtual keyboard on MS Mobile platform. It worked, but only if I pulled out a stylus to tap away. The PRE is a little small, but it still works.

My wife and daughter are considering a PRE...and the ONLY way they will upgrade to a smartphone is if it has a GEN-U-INE keyboard.

(Now..WINNING one would be sweet!).
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I don't think I want a device without a keyboard. It's nice to be able to see the whole screen while typing and it's one less thing to render. Any imrpovements to speed, batery life, and smoothness are always welcome.
    the physical keyboard is great, but at the same time, it would be very nice if a virtual keyboard was available to (should definetly be on an update since its already a patch...) but the best thing palm can do is market the crap of out the pre. it is a fantastic phone, but not enough people know about it.
    1. Virual Keyboards are nice and such but having owned a desktop PC, laptop, tablet Pc, and a mobile phone....A physical keyboard is just way better then a VK. I for one cannot type half as fast on a VK as a normal keyboard (even on my tablet Pc with a 12inch screen) plus I can get 99% accuracy with the speed on a normal keybaord, whereas I only get around 75% with the VK.

2. Tap and drag?!?! WebOS has implemented probably the smoothest easy to use multitasking needed on a phone. In this 90% of the daily duties you perform can be done one-handed. You add tap and drag etc you start adding hands....so now which hand is on the steering wheel when driving? <--j/k...but seriously...one hand simplicity is WebOS.

3. Palm has always been this way with their thinking. As Ruby mentioned...they dont have to beat Apple or Google, there is room for multiple contenders. BUT Palm has always took the simple yet powerful approach to mobile computing....and as you see with WebOS, it pays off for them.

4. First off....going from 1.0 or 2.0 to say 2.0 or 3.0 is MUCH EASIER then going from 0.0 to 1.0. ALSO on Palm's behalf it has only been 8 months this week since the launch of the Pre...R&D don't count as who knows Pre 2.0 might already be done just not out yet. What I can say is that they should have released the same version across all carriers...pre vs pre plus etc...as I would have loved a 512mb phone, or would have bought the wife a pixi already if the one on Sprint just had WiFi.

5. Palm just needs better marketing and get into the spotlight to show people what Palm really is. WebOS 2.0 to survive?!?....maybe...it could be 1.9 for all I care. They need to continue what they are doing...providing updates every few months to show everyone they care about issues and are working on making WebOS a dynamically growing platform.

6. WebOS need video recording, .wav playback on emails (some do, MagicJack ones don't), and little bugs worked on toi be as polished as IPhone 3GS...smooth fast app scrolling, no "too many card errors" with no cards open. And an alternative easy backup solution. All this would kick Apple where it should have been kicked years ago. Also a webOS "Foleo" tablet "IPad" would be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddpsyd View Post
    Agreed, they are losing mind share because no one is aware of the great device. Marketing is one was to remidy that.

My biggest grip at this point about the phone is the lagg, so if they work that out, I'll be one happy camper!
    Unfortunately Palm's lack of advertising goes back a long ways. The problem is now they are not the only game in town, so relying on grass roots/word of mouth is not enough. They are improving and trying different avenues with limited dollars, but could use a boost in marketing dollars. Also, they are more dependent on carriers to market their image and in how their product gets presented at point of sale. (eg Apple marketing budget and Apple retail stores)

I hope the Feb upgrade does a lot to solidify speed and performance, so they stay competitive with Apple, Android, etc. They said they are focusing on distribution, so let's hope sales improve as more channels open. I still think it is a little early to judge the affect of Pre/Pixi Plus.
    I'll hit the ones I have stronger feelings towards.

The only place a virtual keyboard can trump a physical keyboard is flexibility, ala the iPad context specific input. Maybe I haven't done it enough, but I can in no way touch-type on an iPhone keyboard. And that takes me back to 4th grade when I had to stare at my hands to type. It was hard enough to get used to dialing a phone number on a touch screen with only 12 keys (HTC Wizard aka T-Moblie MDA) without looking, typing whole emails and the like gets old for me. At least toss me some haptic feedback.

Improvement depends on your expectations. I would love to have the RAM of the Pre Plus, and I think it was an easy/good iteration for Palm, but it was about as revelatory as most of the iPhone "upgrades" out in the last year. Palm brought a whole new game to town, and I was hooked. To make a confession, I was utterly anti-Palm for most of the last decade. I was happy with Pocket-PC/WinMo and loathed graffiti. I was watching the Palm death watch with anticipation. But webOS and the Pre were a revelation for me. A modern interface that didn't require me to drink the iPhone Kool-Aid, in addition to a physical keyboard, and the Touchstone just sweetened the deal.

Looking back at the last year outside of Palm, I think Android gets the "most improved" award in software and hardware. You have the HD2 running on WinMo 5.4 essentially. Apple though a compass would impress us. BBOS is still pretty much an email phone .

What do I need/want from Palm? Voice in their IPK is #1. Voice dialing, Shazam, voice search, etc. App-wise, I have over 150 apps right now, I'm not sure how many more I need. I probably only actively use...50. They others are there for "just in case" scenarios. LDS scriptures are the only thing I'm eagerly awaiting. I have yet to see an iPhone app that I don't have an equivalent of, that I can't live without. I think by June Palm will need another flagship device. I hope they meet the current bar (Snapdragon, AMOLED High Res, decent 5+megapixel camera with autofocus, etc.) while keeping the physical keyboard. I wouldn't mind a horizontal slider, but actually type better w/ the vertical slider. It might be hard for them to do this, but if they can push a true, industry wide flagship, it might get them more market share than just catching up to the rest. We've seen a lot of innovation from Palm in the last year, I don't think they're out of ideas yet.

If I have to pick, I would want the iPhone hype/sales/familiarity for webOS devices. I honestly think the Pre is a better phone and wish more people knew about it, and would get excited about it. On the flip side, multitasking would probably be most missed if I had to go iPhone, but I think having to take it up the rear from Apple would annoy me more.

Well, those are my thoughts. If Apple is paying attention, it will implement multitasking via a coverflow-esque interface in iPhoneOS 4.0. We'll have to see what response Palm can muster up between now and then.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Entering for the giveaway, looking for a sprint pre. I have a hero now and I really want to switch to palm.
    Hey folks, Rene from theiphoneblog.com (TiPb if you're savvy) here to check out the new digs!

TreoCentral was my first SPE experience. I believe some heavy-handed mod named Septimus kept trying to ban me. But whatever. TC was there for me from the Treo 600 to the Treo 680, and last year when their Round Robin entry was the HTC WinMo Pro... er.... Treo Pro.

This year, however, the 2009 Smartphone Round Robin brings me to a whole new forum and even better -- and entirely new OS! webOS, to be specific, and you phenomenal folks here at PreCentral.net, whom I'm hoping can help me figure out this Palm Pre and Palm Pixi.

Thanks PC! Look forward to chatting with you, and remember this is an official Round Robin thread -- every day you reply to me right here, you're entered for another chance to win a Palm webOS device of your very own!
    1. If you can feel the keyboard you can type without looking at the keyboard!

2. Cut & paste work fine for me. I wouldn't hurt to add drag and drop, but I wouldn't make it a high priority.

3. Good question. They have one heck of a good OS to work with, if they keep going at the rate they have been, I think there will be plenty of surprises.

4. I'll wait to see what sprint gets next June or so. I really think memory comes in two types- finite (a fixed amount of internal RAM) or infinite (SD or similar expansion card capability) I really want to see some kind of expandable memory!!

5. Keep going with OS improvements at the rate they have been and expand the user base.

6. I guess the solidness of the hardware. It's tough to pick just one WebOS feature I couldn’t live without. First would be multitasking then synergy, then universal search. The ability to easily customize with homebrew, patches, Linux access from the phone or desktop is hard to beat too!
    Long Live Palm
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I'm a musician so more Musicentric apps specifically small based audio recording and editing also There's an Iphone app coming out for a line of Digital Audio Amplifiers Line 6 makes which includes a midi based interface and a GUI which is very nice I'd be interested in all this getting ported to WebOS.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I know it gets in the way, but Im just posting for the phone.

thank you for your time
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast