Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast
    assume the Round Robin entries are over but the thread is still open...
    1. The multitouch part I'm okay with. Familiar territory. But the keyboard at the bottom of both, do I *really* need it? I've gotten to love virtual keyboards so much I've arrogantly proclaimed the era of physical keyboards is over. Was Ruby right though, and Jobs wrong, would none of you prefer a webOS slab with a huge screen and no keyboard? Like an HD2 or Nexus style webOS OGRE?

I love my keyboard. Of course, I've never had a device without a physical keyboard... But even playing with other people's iPhones, I'm just not as comfortable without something to tap. I do wish I didn't have to slide to do it, but I prefer the form-factor of the Pre over the Pixi, so...

2. You totally kick Apple's **** on notifications and multitasking. The multitasking visual metaphor is so good, in fact, that it's making me mad I can drag between cards. I do that a lot on the desktop, click and drag between windows. Is that something you can see Palm adding to webOS, tap and drag between cards? Or is that even needed on a mobile device yet?

Probably unnecessary.

3. Arguably, with almost no money and limited resources, Palm out-innovated everyone last year. I'll say straight out they clowned Google, who I'm sure wishes they thought of webOS first, and couldn't improve Android as fast as Palm launched an entirely new OS. How did they do this? Rubinstein's vision? California magic? And if it forces other companies to innovate just as fast, given that limited money and resources, how can Palm keep up with the Apple and Google types?

Palm's been innovating for years - often way ahead of their time. Sadly, that seems to be the piece they lack - proper market implementation. The Pre had the potential to be THE iPhone killer, and had a slot before Google really got Android out to take second place by force. Palm made a few key mistakes in marketing and hardware, though, that really cost them that chance. Not sure how they can fix that just yet...

4. What do you think about the Palm Pre Plus and Palm Pixi Plus? From last year to this, Apple went from the iPhone 3G/2.0 to iPhone 3GS/3.0, Android went from the G1/1.0 to the DROID/2.0. On the other hand, Microsoft went from Windows Mobile 6 to 6.5 and BlackBerry from the 9000 to 9700. How much of an improvement has Palm made over the last year, and blending into the previous question, is it enough for you? What are you happy they added, what are you sad they didn't?

Not much. To be honest, there are several glaring flaws in the Pre and Pixi that Palm hasn't done anything about fixing. Not sure how much of that is the fault of their being a small company and how much is just them being oblivious to how big an issue they are...

5. What's next for Palm? They're getting on more carriers, so what else do they need 2010 to bring? Do they need webOS 2.0? Another device form-factor? Some huge app announcements? A content deal? Their own local sync software? What pieces do they simply have to add this year not just to survive, but to be one of the big players heading into 2011?

They either need to make substantial improvements on their hardware, or really step up the app catalog. Preferably both. If they can't add things like smoother operating in-OS, camera functionality, proper GPS, auto-focusing, etc... they'll never be able to compete with the iPhone/Android on its terms.

6. If you could steal one feature of the iPhone and give it to webOS, what would it be? By contrast, what single feature does webOS have you'd miss most if you had to switch to an iPhone (like for the Round Robin). There's pros and cons to every device, so I'm trying to get the best sense of trade-offs I can.

The iPhone's biggest feature is that it operates so smoothly. My Pre tends to hang when swapping around (sort of like a laptop); the iPhone doesn't really seem to have this problem. I'm not sure if the Apple OS is more stable, or if it just makes better use of memory, but it's a big annoyance for the Pre.

On the other hand, I think I'd miss the dev/patching community on Palm, and the ability to multi-task through cards. That feature alone has helped convince several people to switch to WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by ripcity00 View Post
    3. Arguably, with almost no money and limited resources, Palm out-innovated everyone last year. I'll say straight out they clowned Google, who I'm sure wishes they thought of webOS first, and couldn't improve Android as fast as Palm launched an entirely new OS. How did they do this? Rubinstein's vision? California magic? And if it forces other companies to innovate just as fast, given that limited money and resources, how can Palm keep up with the Apple and Google types?

As much as I want Palm to succeed, I keep wondering the same thing - do they have the resources to keep up? Looking back on the last year, it's amazing what they've been able to do with limited resources and Palm staff should be commended. But Android and Apple can drown out their message even if PalmOS is a better metaphor in many ways. I'd like to see them have a slightly larger portfolio of products, but this doesn't seem likely until they get the OS further along. Post February's update will we see more this summer than just a Pre2?
    I agree 100%
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. The multitouch part I'm okay with. Familiar territory. But the keyboard at the bottom of both, do I *really* need it? I've gotten to love virtual keyboards so much I've arrogantly proclaimed the era of physical keyboards is over. Was Ruby right though, and Jobs wrong, would none of you prefer a webOS slab with a huge screen and no keyboard? Like an HD2 or Nexus style webOS OGRE?

The Palm Pre Plus is only my second smartphone. Tooled around Dec to Jan with Samsung i760 (didn't like at all!) then FIRST in line for my Palm Pre Plus at Verizon on January 25th. LOVE this phone. Actually I find the actual keyboard easy to use. I have downloaded the VKB but rarely use it. If the VKB were more versatiile (options for personalizing, working more consistently) I might use it more. I still like the actual keyboard for now.

2. You totally kick Apple's **** on notifications and multitasking. The multitasking visual metaphor is so good, in fact, that it's making me mad I can drag between cards. I do that a lot on the desktop, click and drag between windows. Is that something you can see Palm adding to webOS, tap and drag between cards? Or is that even needed on a mobile device yet?

Agree with BraveMax: probably unnecessary.

Marketing, marketing, marketing. Although I am a Mom and their current ads target me, I feel they are condescending and defintely NOT targeting the Apple and Google types. Palm has to realize what the demographics for viability are!

4. What do you think about the Palm Pre Plus and Palm Pixi Plus? From last year to this, Apple went from the iPhone 3G/2.0 to iPhone 3GS/3.0, Android went from the G1/1.0 to the DROID/2.0. On the other hand, Microsoft went from Windows Mobile 6 to 6.5 and BlackBerry from the 9000 to 9700. How much of an improvement has Palm made over the last year, and blending into the previous question, is it enough for you? What are you happy they added, what are you sad they didn't?

Since I am just joining the Palm Pre family, it is difficult to comment. Palm probably needs to embrace the Homebrew/Preware community and make some of their software directly to the Pre and Pixi "out of the box." I am only in week 3 and although slowly improving as I tweak my settings, battery life is still very weak. The hardward on my Pre Plus seems stable, without some of the prior problems from the original and as I mentioned above, the keyboard is fine.

5. What's next for Palm? They're getting on more carriers, so what else do they need 2010 to bring? Do they need webOS 2.0? Another device form-factor? Some huge app announcements? A content deal? Their own local sync software? What pieces do they simply have to add this year not just to survive, but to be one of the big players heading into 2011?

I think Palm is listening. Another of my groups (Yahoo Treo) has a member who is on a committee looking at changes to the Pre and Pixi, and has requested suggestions, which have been offered by the dozens. Hopefully Palm WILL listen and make changes to keep up! Of course, we are all waiting for the promised 1.4 update AND Flash!

6. If you could steal one feature of the iPhone and give it to webOS, what would it be? By contrast, what single feature does webOS have you'd miss most if you had to switch to an iPhone (like for the Round Robin). There's pros and cons to every device, so I'm trying to get the best sense of trade-offs I can.

I really am NOT a fan of Apple, and would unlikely EVER change from Palm. I reckon multitasking is one of the most important aspects. I also like how smooth the WebOS is. I've never really tried an iPhone, so nothing to compare. I would definitely miss the active Precentral website and forum!
    Patrice
    Virginia
    Works like nothing else!
    Gotta have a real keyboard so I can type without looking.
  6. o14
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xylenz View Post
    So you can have both devices with a unified user experience. So why not just get an iPhone? The total cost of ownership on an iPhone over two years is $3800 vs. $1450 for the sprint pixi. Add the cost of an iTouch and its still only $1650.
    Is that the cost difference between AT&T and Sprint??? Would you still say the same thing if the Pixi plan was close to the same price, say $10 bucks a month cheaper? That's how it is in Canada (with the Pre at least, no Pixi's up here).
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I hope I win.
    I will admit, the only reason I don't get an iphone is because there is no real keyboard. I have always had phones with virtual keyboards and I cannot stand them anymore. Well, another reason why I don't have an iphone is because I like to make phone calls and not drop them all the time, but that is a network issue instead of a hardware issue. I wish a webOS phone would come to AT&T already. I'm curious to see if it will be the palm pre plus or something completely different.
    One of the reasons I chose Palm was because I wanted a device with a quality touch screen and a physical keyboard. Call me old school but I prefer it that way. That being said, it would be nice if Palm included an on-screen keyboard that you could easily enable/disable. That way everyone could be happy.

The main thing that is missing here is advertising. Palm has an AWESOME platform that I love. There are so many capabilities that need to be shown to the public in a way that doesn't make Palm look like idiots. (a.k.a. creepy lady and the smartphone for mom) We just can't seem to catch a break with that. Palm, please show the world what you're capable of.

(Love to win a new pre especially if it happens to be a plus?!?)
    ha lots of first time posters here.

not that its a bad place to make a first post, since they seem to be old registrants.

anyway, another day another entry?

honestly, my opinion is unchanged from my first post, but my understanding is a post a day?
    There are four lights.
    somebody gimme a phone!

Physical keyboard is a must for me. .

If I understand your questions correctly (having two cards appear on one screen?) I don't think this is necessary yet. A full swipe can bring you to the next card and you can put the cards in any order as to make this process more seamless.

Google is new to the mobile industry... Palm is not. WebOS has been under development surely longer than when the first displayed it nearly 2 years ago. I would argue the basics were in place during the announcement then the small company went hard to work over the past 2 years.

Palm doesn't have to over come Apple in the mobile industry, there are enough users to support both companies.

Palm should have launched the Plus models as their first models. They rushed production and perhaps lost market share because of it. Undoubtedly they did this to begin earning revenues, but Palm had to face some harsh reviews out of the gate. I think this reviews would have been lessoned by launch day pre having what the Plus does.

The things you mention only a handful of us care about... there are much more mobile users than those of us online. Palm needs to market their product to the public to contend.

I haven't personally used the iPhone enough to comment, because it lacks the physical keyboard, I gave the virtual keyboard a shot and didn't like it. Thus Apple lost me as a customer.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    1. But the keyboard at the bottom of both, do I *really* need it?

The advantage of a true keyboard is speed and space. You keep the entire screen without losing information due to a soft keyboard or fat fingers over the display.

2. Is that something you can see Palm adding to webOS, tap and drag between cards?

This is just visual copy and paste. With the limited space of a phone's screen and fingers doing the dragging ... I don't know which is more intuitive for a user. Have to implement it to compare. So why not.

3. And if it forces other companies to innovate just as fast, given that limited money and resources, how can Palm keep up with the Apple and Google types?

By leveraging the Linux community. Have a couple of employees with the sole purpose of keeping development open and active. I've been around the embedded Linux space for years now (started with the Agenda VR3 and Sharp Zarus devel version). Just give us the tools and let us do the work for fun. Help WebOS Internals PDK heavily. Do you have any idea how many cool apps are just a tweek+recompile away from the Pre?

5. What's next for Palm?

I'd like to see a stand alone palm based on WebOS. Not of phone, a wifi based device like the Archos 7. Also, add a digital compass ( Google Skymap like apps would be cool to have ).

6. If you could steal one feature of the iPhone and give it to webOS, what would it be?

From the iPhone ... Nothing. I just don't like living in a crippled world ( I'm a die-hard "Live Free" type Linux guy ). Hardware features: memory, processor, screen, etc. are simple things to compete against. Software features: The iPhone is a good first generation interface for a small touch screen.

Things WebOS does well ... Multitask and a just plain better UI for small touch screens.
    Iím planning on getting a Plus sometime in the next couple of weeks, changing from an AT&T iPhone. Iíve enjoyed the device quite a bit, but am kind of tired of dropping calls daily and being so locked down to the Apple platform. Hereís what Iím looking forward to.

1: Physical keyboard. Iím used to the virtual keyboard now, but I donít really like it. Iíve had keyboard/slider phones in the past and Iíve really enjoyed the experience.

2: Multitasking. I doubt Iíll have a million things open, but I wish my iPhone multitasked at least once a day.

3: Verizon network. Best rated network in my area. Canít wait!

4: Preware. I think Palmís willingness to let people play is awesome. Canít wait to get started with this!
    Quote Originally Posted by ripcity00 View Post
    As much as I want Palm to succeed, I keep wondering the same thing - do they have the resources to keep up?
    I'm not so sure. The reason they're losing market share is the lack of advertising. Verizon and Sprint aren't going to put a ton of money behind the Palm devices, so it's up to Palm to advertise the heck out of it, but I don't think they have the money for that. Too bad.

If you could steal one feature of the iPhone and give it to webOS, what would it be?

The insanely smooth and accurate touch screen capabilities.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I hope you don't win...cus that means I didn't win.
    Palm won't grab major market share based just on the OS features. There's just not a ton of difference between palm/android/apple and not enough people who care. They need to keep bringing a variety of interesting form factors and market them to specific segments. The pixi and pre are great physical designs. They also need a bigger, more treo-sized device for all those bigger guys out there who still want a good phone but want a usable keyboard.
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    I'm not so sure. The reason they're losing market share is the lack of advertising. Verizon and Sprint aren't going to put a ton of money behind the Palm devices, so it's up to Palm to advertise the heck out of it, but I don't think they have the money for that. Too bad.

If you could steal one feature of the iPhone and give it to webOS, what would it be?

The insanely smooth and accurate touch screen capabilities.
    Agreed, they are losing mind share because no one is aware of the great device. Marketing is one was to remidy that.

My biggest grip at this point about the phone is the lagg, so if they work that out, I'll be one happy camper!
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    lOST MY POST
    1. Prefer pixi keyboard, but if pre keyboard will try virtual if as good as iphone
    2. not needed
    3. Read and pay attention to what users request on forums
    4. Love web os , but should at least have the PIM capabilities of treo out of the box, the PIM is a step backwards and the apps don't make up for it yet.
    5. PIM as good as treo or better and wifi on sprint pixi
    6. glass and speed of iphone, form factor of webos devices (especially pixi)
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    1. I perfer the physical portait keyboard over either landscape or screen, althought a good screen keyboard which would automatically popup to enter stuff when the slider is closed could be nice.

for me the biggest improvement would be the time it takes to restart the phone and to start a app.
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast