Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    physical, let's get physical (keyboard)
    I think Palm does a great job of making a great OS. The iPhone is ok, but webOS is much better.
    Now I'm thinking Dieter's idea of an ipad paired with a pre is not bad. I always wanted a phone paired with my TX, so the idea of two devices, one with a bigger screen works for me.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    I don't see the Plus models as a full version upgrade in hardware. They were mid year and it is like Pre 1.0 and Pre 1.5. I would not be surprised to see a nice shinny new device June/July on Sprint. (I hope, I hope.)
    I share this hope! My webOS phone (a Pre) works the way a phone should. I don't use that many apps simultaneously (2-4 is about as big as I go typically), but the multitasking is something I use constantly. I shouldn't have to abort doing one thing (e.g. browsing the web) in order to do another (e..g look up a contact). webOS gets it right!
    a physical keyboard is definitely a MUST for me...but it really wouldn't hurt to have a virtual keyboard as a secondary keyboard as well
    I love the Pixi keyboard! I had a Hero, and not having a physical keyboard was awful...though I've heard the iPhone's is better than the Hero's.
    ~Annie

I heart my Pixi
    Hey folks, Rene from theiphoneblog.com (TiPb if you're savvy) here to check out the new digs!

TreoCentral was my first SPE experience. I believe some heavy-handed mod named Septimus kept trying to ban me. But whatever. TC was there for me from the Treo 600 to the Treo 680, and last year when their Round Robin entry was the HTC WinMo Pro... er.... Treo Pro.

This year, however, the 2009 Smartphone Round Robin brings me to a whole new forum and even better -- and entirely new OS! webOS, to be specific, and you phenomenal folks here at PreCentral.net, whom I'm hoping can help me figure out this Palm Pre and Palm Pixi.

1. The multitouch part I'm okay with. Familiar territory. But the keyboard at the bottom of both, do I *really* need it? I've gotten to love virtual keyboards so much I've arrogantly proclaimed the era of physical keyboards is over. Was Ruby right though, and Jobs wrong, would none of you prefer a webOS slab with a huge screen and no keyboard? Like an HD2 or Nexus style webOS OGRE?
    Bigger screen means bigger device. I'd rather have a short but fatter phone in my pocket, instead of a large slate. One of the reasons I stick with the 3rd Generation(square) ipod nano. Also, a real keyboard is a MUST for me. I do the majority of my typing without looking at the keyboard(partially since i can't see through my thumbs) and there is no way to do this with a touch screen. without looking at the pre, i can tell where my thumbs are, and how to get to the next key in relation to the current key I am on. On another note, if there becomes a way to flash the iPad and load up a hacked version of WebOS, I will buy an iPad just for WebOS.

2. You totally kick Apple's **** on notifications and multitasking. The multitasking visual metaphor is so good, in fact, that it's making me mad I can drag between cards. I do that a lot on the desktop, click and drag between windows. Is that something you can see Palm adding to webOS, tap and drag between cards? Or is that even needed on a mobile device yet?
    Copy and paste works just fine for me. I see it as a double edged sword in terms of "flow." Sure it would be pretty to the eye to drag an image or block of text from one card to the next, but that comes with 2 problems. How do you tell the phone you want to drag something, instead of scrolling, or highlighting? I really hope it won't have to resort to the WinMobile/WinTablet method of holding your finger in place while a swirly circle appears, otherwise I think palm would lose more flow than they would gain.

3. Arguably, with almost no money and limited resources, Palm out-innovated everyone last year. I'll say straight out they clowned Google, who I'm sure wishes they thought of webOS first, and couldn't improve Android as fast as Palm launched an entirely new OS. How did they do this? Rubinstein's vision? California magic? And if it forces other companies to innovate just as fast, given that limited money and resources, how can Palm keep up with the Apple and Google types?
    I know a lot of motoDROID users who are now migrating to the Pre, because the Android OS has been very buggy and unreliable for them. I think some of the experience that had made the development of WebOS possible was the linux experience palm's developers had from the Foleo. Also, as I see it, Palm doesn't have to "keep up" with Apple and Google. Palm raised the bar farther than anybody expected, and Apple and Google have to play some catchup. Having a 1GHz processor means nothing if it can't multitask well.

4. What do you think about the Palm Pre Plus and Palm Pixi Plus? From last year to this, Apple went from the iPhone 3G/2.0 to iPhone 3GS/3.0, Android went from the G1/1.0 to the DROID/2.0. On the other hand, Microsoft went from Windows Mobile 6 to 6.5 and BlackBerry from the 9000 to 9700. How much of an improvement has Palm made over the last year, and blending into the previous question, is it enough for you? What are you happy they added, what are you sad they didn't?
    Palm had released the Pre in June, and it is now February. Just a little over 6 months, and Palm has released 4 phones, and if I recall correctly, 6 OTA softare updates. And by the end of year one (june 2010) we are already seeing 3D games, video recording/editing, full Flash support, along with all the groundbreaking software features the Pre shipped with.
    Also, you are comparing Palm(In their first year) to other companies who's software has been on the market for much longer. Remember, No apps for iPhone for it's first year...

5. What's next for Palm? They're getting on more carriers, so what else do they need 2010 to bring? Do they need webOS 2.0? Another device form-factor? Some huge app announcements? A content deal? Their own local sync software? What pieces do they simply have to add this year not just to survive, but to be one of the big players heading into 2011?
    Palm's software is outstanding, they are now on the USA's largest network and most affordable network, and they have an app store growing at a steady rate. The 2 things they should work on are advertising and hardware.
    Advertising- first off, palm, I know you like to be unique, and different, but ditch the damn creepy people. Do you want to make a sale? or give someone the goosebumps. Take a look at the iphone commercials. White background, and the focus is the phone. Showing a minute of actual usage! Imagine, if you will, with the multi-tasking abilities of WebOS, how much you can get done in a single minute. More than just looking at a map while on a phone call, that's for sure.
    Hardware- I would like glass screens. And a phone that "feels" sturdier. (Not saying the phone isn't sturdy, I haven't broken it.) Also, to complete the entire spectrum, how about a nice flip phone? I'm thinking something like the LG lotus, with a pixi sized screen. Possibly a small, 20-30 pixel tall screen on the bottom half, just above the keyboard for notifications only. It might need it's own version of WebOS in order to function, but would certainly be a huge thing for palm to announce.

6. If you could steal one feature of the iPhone and give it to webOS, what would it be? By contrast, what single feature does webOS have you'd miss most if you had to switch to an iPhone (like for the Round Robin). There's pros and cons to every device, so I'm trying to get the best sense of trade-offs I can.
    One feature of the iPhone... hmm... Metal Backing/Glass screen for sure.
    As for what I would miss the most, I would have to say the gestures for things like back, opening up the app cards, etc. Having used iPhones from time to time after my Pre, I twitch when I try to swipe in the home button area of the iphone and nothing happens, then wander hopelessly for a back button. A close second place is multi-tasking, of course

Thanks PC! Look forward to chatting with you, and remember this is an official Round Robin thread -- every day you reply to me right here, you're entered for another chance to win a Palm webOS device of your very own!
    when do they announce the contest results?
    analysts think at&t likely to keep exclusive on iphone for next few years so carrier preference will still be key in deciding which phone to get
  10. o14
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaHui623 View Post
    That would be AWESOME. Instead of highlighting text, pressing some keys to copy said text, switching between apps (which is elegantly done), setting the cursor and then hitting some key combos to past; how about highlighting text and then dragging it to the gesture area, which will bring up the minimized card view, allowing you to drag the text to whichever open app you want, or to it's icon in the launcher, and POW! Pasted text.
    That would be a very slick feature. I would love if they could add that in a future addition.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rene Ritchie View Post
    4. What do you think about the Palm Pre Plus and Palm Pixi Plus?
    I have to say that transitioning from Treo 700p to Pre Plus was was far from seamless. I hadn't set my Treo up to my work server, and transitioning directly from Palm Desktop was worthless. I had to do a complete erase and start over via Outlook. Setting up EAS with SBS 2008 SP2 was very buggy for me, too. I ended up linking through gmail. Not ideal, but it's working nicely. I'm sure a more technical user would have figured this out, but I am well above average.

After a week of monkeying around I'm very happy, but I regrettably had to admit that I'm sure iPhone users don't have to put up with this ridiculousness.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edgarwong View Post
    my favorite feature of the pre over any other phone is the ability to just start typing and do things. Almost like a command line or Quicksilver or Gnome Do (mac and linux). I love to start typing and get the option to open, search, txt, call etc. Thats how I work on the desktop and how I love my phone to keep up with me.
    Ditto to that. However, I would like to see it pick up partial matches within the middle of text, within contacts for example. I would also like to see more flexibility movement of the cursor as with my previous winmo treo 800w. For the most part, movement of the finger gets close, but precision would have been a nice feature.

Overall, love WebOS and the Pre. Would have liked more memory (I do run into "too many cards" still, every so often, I am sure I would hit that next uppper mem limit there too.
    Im In
    Palm has the perfect device. WebOS integrated into my life perfectly. In 1995 I described my perfect cell phone to the salesman a Cingular Wireless. The phone I described was the Palm Pre. With this device I am more organized and more connected than ever. To compare the Palm devices to Android or RIM is not even fair. Those are cell phones. The Palm and Apple devices are somthing more.
    smartphone round robin entry!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    analysts think at&t likely to keep exclusive on iphone for next few years so carrier preference will still be key in deciding which phone to get
    Carrier/service will always be key to the decision. What about the rumors of Verizon getting the iphone? (although I'll believe it when I see it) The best thing for the competition is for the iphone to stay on AT&T while Palm and Android expand to more carriers.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I couldn't agree with crawdaddct more. The Palm Pre integrates into our life so very well and it is the perfect smart phone. Just keep bringing on those quality apps!
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nt4cats View Post
    I share this hope! My webOS phone (a Pre) works the way a phone should. I don't use that many apps simultaneously (2-4 is about as big as I go typically), but the multitasking is something I use constantly. I shouldn't have to abort doing one thing (e.g. browsing the web) in order to do another (e..g look up a contact). webOS gets it right!
    that would be great
    The theme of my responses to the OP is, "It should just work."

1. The multitouch part I'm okay with. Familiar territory. But the keyboard at the bottom of both, do I *really* need it? I've gotten to love virtual keyboards so much I've arrogantly proclaimed the era of physical keyboards is over. Was Ruby right though, and Jobs wrong, would none of you prefer a webOS slab with a huge screen and no keyboard? Like an HD2 or Nexus style webOS OGRE?
    I've gone from Treo 600-> 650-> Centro-> Touch Pro (sorry, no Pre yet), so I have not gone slab, but I did have to work with my Touch Pro when the hardware keyboard failed. More importantly, I discovered that using an on-screen keyboard requires so much more of my attention. Even now that my keyboard works, occasionally I'm too lazy to slide out the horizontal keyboard, or there's a reason why I don't want to change the screen orientation. A nice, responsive hardware keyboard available for one-handed operation is indeed the nicest keyboard. It's available right away, and it requires less brainpower to find what I'm looking for.

2. You totally kick Apple's **** on notifications and multitasking. The multitasking visual metaphor is so good, in fact, that it's making me mad I can drag between cards. I do that a lot on the desktop, click and drag between windows. Is that something you can see Palm adding to webOS, tap and drag between cards? Or is that even needed on a mobile device yet?

Indeed, the visual metaphor appears to be so intuitive... it just works. Extensions to that metaphor should be carefully considered - it should remain intuitive. I suppose copy and paste between applications via some sort of drag might work, but there's a difference between recognizing a selection drag and recognizing a copy/paste drag.

3. Arguably, with almost no money and limited resources, Palm out-innovated everyone last year. I'll say straight out they clowned Google, who I'm sure wishes they thought of webOS first, and couldn't improve Android as fast as Palm launched an entirely new OS. How did they do this? Rubinstein's vision? California magic? And if it forces other companies to innovate just as fast, given that limited money and resources, how can Palm keep up with the Apple and Google types?

I dare say they selected their feature-set and design theme well. I think they need to extend that to the rest of the OS more completely. Again, I'm not currently a user, and a certain contest obviously goaded me into replying to this, but I'm basing this on what I've read. What has gotten me so interested in the Pre is not just what it can do now, but the potential of the design theme. Want to combine your work and home calendars? There they are. Want to easily go back and forth between a webpage or two, your navigation, and your password manager? Flick your finger and it just works. However, I don't get the feeling that the job is done. The notorious itunes/Pre spat does not work. Lack of voice control (built-in or 3rd party) does not work. A smartphone should be intuitive to the point where 'it just works' for the core features - phone, email, messaging, calendar, web browsing, multitasking, music, camera/video, alarms, system mute, and lasting a whole day (call it 18 hours, low to moderate usage, OK but not great signal) without recharging at all. That is indeed a lot to get right, and it should take time, but clearly they chose a good set of functionality as the foundation to build on quickly.

4. What do you think about the Palm Pre Plus and Palm Pixi Plus? From last year to this, Apple went from the iPhone 3G/2.0 to iPhone 3GS/3.0, Android went from the G1/1.0 to the DROID/2.0. On the other hand, Microsoft went from Windows Mobile 6 to 6.5 and BlackBerry from the 9000 to 9700. How much of an improvement has Palm made over the last year, and blending into the previous question, is it enough for you? What are you happy they added, what are you sad they didn't?
    I'd like to see more... I'd like to see better battery life (bigger battery is OK, really) and better storage options. I'm very happy to see the OS updates - 'bout time.

5. What's next for Palm? They're getting on more carriers, so what else do they need 2010 to bring? Do they need webOS 2.0? Another device form-factor? Some huge app announcements? A content deal? Their own local sync software? What pieces do they simply have to add this year not just to survive, but to be one of the big players heading into 2011?

Finish the job. What I mean is to complete the circle on the core components as I listed them above. Also, continue to cultivate the 3rd party development scene. Oh, and if the hardware team has any cycles, perhaps Pres with multiple memory capacities?

6. If you could steal one feature of the iPhone and give it to webOS, what would it be? By contrast, what single feature does webOS have you'd miss most if you had to switch to an iPhone (like for the Round Robin). There's pros and cons to every device, so I'm trying to get the best sense of trade-offs I can.
    Steal from the iPhone: multiple released memory capacities available on each carrier.
    Switch to the iPhone... hardware keyboard... though I suppose I would need CDMA more.

Bottom line: I've become rather frustrated with the difficulties of living with my Touch Pro, and how hard I've had to work to get things to work (never mind be intuitive and reliable). My theory is that webOS has the best chance to accomplish a fully-intuitive and consistent smartphone experience. It has drawn me to be more interested in the PreCentral articles than the WmExperts articles, despite the fact that I have no webOS device and I currently hold a Touch Pro. I'm pretty excited for what may come with webOS.
    Who's flying this thing?

As much as I want Palm to succeed, I keep wondering the same thing - do they have the resources to keep up? Looking back on the last year, it's amazing what they've been able to do with limited resources and Palm staff should be commended. But Android and Apple can drown out their message even if PalmOS is a better metaphor in many ways. I'd like to see them have a slightly larger portfolio of products, but this doesn't seem likely until they get the OS further along. Post February's update will we see more this summer than just a Pre2?