Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Count my entry.
    contest entry
    What happened to week 6 updates?
    contest entry
    Quote Originally Posted by NPR_aficionado View Post
    I *LOVE* a great hardware keyboard (HTC TP2), but I also feel that a good software keyboard is acceptable (iPone). I don't feel as though the pre keyboard is anything to gloat over. I would not mind the pre being thinner and a bit bigger in screen real estate with a good software keyboard.
    I'm kind of thinking the same thing. There is room for both types of Palm phones and both would work well with the OS. While I like the pre, the keyboard is somewhat "sunk" below the edges and feels more cramped while the pixi keys are above the surface and easier to use.
  6. o14
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    entry
    entry
    1.Love physical keyboard. Even with the choice.
    2. Surf and talk.
    3. Great operating system.
    4. Sad not given opportunity to trade up on Sprint. Too quickly slights original Pre owners.
    5. Huge apps and updates to WEBOS.
    6. Surf and talk.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I am with a lot of individuals here in stating that I am VERY happy about having a hardware keyboard. I came from the HTC Diamond, software keyboard only, and was quite pleased with having a hardboard keyboard again. I still use the virtual keyboard at times, usually when I just want to send a quick and short text, it is then easier to use the virtual keyboard.
    -Sent from my Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    1. As long as the on-display keyboard works well (i.e., it reads between the lines), I have no problem with it.

2. Not sure what you're describing.

3. As long as Palm keeps adding carriers, fixing hardware and software problems and working closely with developers (which includes keeping the Homebrew healthy), I don't see why Palm won't continue to thrive. And I don't think a lot of advertising is necessary. Word of mouth will do wonders.

4. I want the extra stability (and slightly better hardware quality) the Plus models provide, but I want them on AT & T so I can do voice and data simultaneously. That would put me in heaven! The only thing missing from the Pre at this point is a compass; without it, the new "augmented reality" thing will be limited.

5. As I stated above, they need AT & T and a built-in compass. They also need a tablet. They also need a COMPLETE desktop sync function (i.e., so we can do a complete backup), and the ability to NOT use certain cloud functions!

6. I want the better hardware build. On the iPhone, I would miss the multitasking.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    In response to #1, I would love to have a Nexus One-sized display paired with WebOS and a good (i.e., iPhone quality) virtual keyboard. I've got no problems there, and I would love the screen space.

#4... I don't think we can say yet, as the Pre hasn't even been out a year. We'll see if Palm introduces a new model this summer. The Pre Plus is just a slight spec bump, and while welcome, won't be enough innovation to keep Palm going into 2011, IMO. We need to see a new device and probably a major OS revision this summer, or fall at the latest.
    Global Posts
    1,344 Global Posts
    Would love to win a Pre Plus...
    I still think the screen is too small for a virtual keyboard. The keyboard on the pre is OK but really should have been horizontal, not vertical.
    2. You totally kick Apple's **** on notifications and multitasking. The multitasking visual metaphor is so good, in fact, that it's making me mad I can drag between cards. I do that a lot on the desktop, click and drag between windows. Is that something you can see Palm adding to webOS, tap and drag between cards? Or is that even needed on a mobile device yet?

That would be AWESOME. Instead of highlighting text, pressing some keys to copy said text, switching between apps (which is elegantly done), setting the cursor and then hitting some key combos to past; how about highlighting text and then dragging it to the gesture area, which will bring up the minimized card view, allowing you to drag the text to whichever open app you want, or to it's icon in the launcher, and POW! Pasted text.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rene Ritchie View Post
    Hey folks, Rene from (TiPb if you're savvy) here to check out the new digs!

1. The multitouch part I'm okay with. Familiar territory. But the keyboard at the bottom of both, do I *really* need it? I've gotten to love virtual keyboards so much I've arrogantly proclaimed the era of physical keyboards is over. Was Ruby right though, and Jobs wrong, would none of you prefer a webOS slab with a huge screen and no keyboard? Like an HD2 or Nexus style webOS OGRE?

I *really* need the physical keyboard. And, the Palm keyboards just seem to work for me. I have an iPhone and have never really gotten used to the virtual keyboard on them. I use them, but it's just not very quick. I've also used a Droid Eris and like its keyboard a lot more than the iPhone. While I'm not much more accurate, it seems its correction utility work much better. My first choice, though, is my Palm Pre.

2. You totally kick Apple's **** on notifications and multitasking. The multitasking visual metaphor is so good, in fact, that it's making me mad I can drag between cards. I do that a lot on the desktop, click and drag between windows. Is that something you can see Palm adding to webOS, tap and drag between cards? Or is that even needed on a mobile device yet?

The multi-tasking on the Pre is the new standard to me. While there is limited functionality on the iPhone, WebOS does it right. I don't see any need, though, to be able to drag between cards. Yeah, I might use it some, but most of the time it would be unnecessary.

The idea of a Palm slate intrigues me. I think there might be real possibilities in this format. I hope Palm is looking at it.

Thanks for your commentary!

responses interspersed
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Well me and my wife were on T-Mobile and she was wanting more and more and ipod touch or iphone and I never did and at the last I started playing around with iphone demos and started wanting one myself. Was wishfully watching craigslist hoping to get a deal then jailbreak and unlock. Then T-mobile ticket us off enough with coverage where they gave me a 20 day grace to break contract without ETF due to coverage issues well on the last few days of that grace Sprint started Any Mobile Any Time and wil a corp discount we figured it would cost about the same as T-Mobile with a LOT more minutes. On the last day I stumbled across a great deal and wound up getting us both Palm Pre's (for free!). We haven't thought about the iphone since. Had to wipe her phone the other day and my wife was even able to copy her music over last night manually with some guidance.
    1. The multitouch part I'm okay with. Familiar territory. But the keyboard at the bottom of both, do I *really* need it? I've gotten to love virtual keyboards so much I've arrogantly proclaimed the era of physical keyboards is over. Was Ruby right though, and Jobs wrong, would none of you prefer a webOS slab with a huge screen and no keyboard? Like an HD2 or Nexus style webOS OGRE?
    The iPhone keyboard is still the best virtual keyboard, but it still takes way to many clicks to get to characters that can be chorded (shift, sym, etc.) on a hardware keyboard. Unless I will be doing almost no text entry, I would never get rid of a physical keyboard. I've tried to like the virtual one on the iPod Touch and just can't get into it.

I don't see that there is a huge need for that. What we do need is the capability to copy/paste in the same way that is possible on Web and Email, with other apps. I'm betting that will come soon.

3. Arguably, with almost no money and limited resources, Palm out-innovated everyone last year. I'll say straight out they clowned Google, who I'm sure wishes they thought of webOS first, and couldn't improve Android as fast as Palm launched an entirely new OS. How did they do this? Rubinstein's vision? California magic? And if it forces other companies to innovate just as fast, given that limited money and resources, how can Palm keep up with the Apple and Google types?
    I think a big part of it is that they realized that they didn't have the time or resources to develop this thing ground up. So they found what was out there in open source and figured out what would do the job well, then only built what they had to. The advantage of this is that it made other programs possible on the Pre much easier, because the used common technology. It is a testament to open source and open platforms.

4. What do you think about the Palm Pre Plus and Palm Pixi Plus? From last year to this, Apple went from the iPhone 3G/2.0 to iPhone 3GS/3.0, Android went from the G1/1.0 to the DROID/2.0. On the other hand, Microsoft went from Windows Mobile 6 to 6.5 and BlackBerry from the 9000 to 9700. How much of an improvement has Palm made over the last year, and blending into the previous question, is it enough for you? What are you happy they added, what are you sad they didn't?
    I don't see the Plus models as a full version upgrade in hardware. They were mid year and it is like Pre 1.0 and Pre 1.5. I would not be surprised to see a nice shinny new device June/July on Sprint. (I hope, I hope.)

5. What's next for Palm? They're getting on more carriers, so what else do they need 2010 to bring? Do they need webOS 2.0? Another device form-factor? Some huge app announcements? A content deal? Their own local sync software? What pieces do they simply have to add this year not just to survive, but to be one of the big players heading into 2011?
    They need some API support that is lacking. Shipping DB with App, Local File Access, etc. If I am not mistaken, the PDK will allow porting of iPhone apps rapidly. However, I am willing to be that the API support on the Pre doesn't cover all APIs available on the iPhone currently. Palm needs to address this.

6. If you could steal one feature of the iPhone and give it to webOS, what would it be? By contrast, what single feature does webOS have you'd miss most if you had to switch to an iPhone (like for the Round Robin). There's pros and cons to every device, so I'm trying to get the best sense of trade-offs I can.
    Other than performance that comes from refined software, the only thing I would like to have from the iPhone/iPod Touch is the slightly large screen at times. I don't use the iPod Touch near as much anymore, because the tap, tap, tap, tap to do anything drives me up the wall. So I am hard pressed to find a single feature that I would want.

It is also hard to pick between Multi-tasking or Notifications as the thing I'd miss the most on the iPhone. Those are just the killer features of WebOS.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    One problem with the mobile market is that we customers have unquestionably accepted the need for one device to do everything that we need it to do. While this is convenient and ideal, having every desirable feature in one device is not so important of a feature that it is implicitly at the very top of every user's feature evaluation stack.

Many users are blinded by this unnecessary restraint on their purchase. Why do I say "unnecessary"? Its completely intuitive that we could really only use one device at a time since multiple devices would require multiple mobile accounts. This would be true but for the existence of one thing... the iPod Touch.

Now, I'm no drooling apple fan (or I'd just get an iPhone). But the Pixi is so small that it is comfortable to also carry an iPod Touch in the same pocket! the touch compensates for all of the pixi's shortcomings. It has wifi. It has a large screen. It has a fast processor. It has a huge app catalog (like multi-track recording apps that are VERY alluring to musicians, and the killer app Simplify Media, which allows you to stream music from any itunes server to your iPod thereby eliminating the need for lots of device storage).

However, it does not have a hard keyboard and WebOS... or does it? The gargantuan apple app community has created a set of apps for jail broken iPod Touches that give full multitasking a la WebOS. So you can have both devices with a unified user experience. So why not just get an iPhone? The total cost of ownership on an iPhone over two years is $3800 vs. $1450 for the sprint pixi. Add the cost of an iTouch and its still only $1650. Not to mention WebOS's superior user experience for phone, text, contacts, etc.

Really ask yourself how important it is to have only one device do everything. Just because that is important for some people does not mean that it has to be important to you. Personally, I will get a Sprint pixi (not the Veri$on pixi plu$) and happily carry it my pocket cozy with my iPod Touch. Each device compensates for the weaknesses of the other, offering a complete solution, not a complete device.
    Last edited by xylenz; 02/04/2010 at 03:37 PM.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaHui623 View Post

That would be AWESOME. Instead of highlighting text, pressing some keys to copy said text, switching between apps (which is elegantly done), setting the cursor and then hitting some key combos to past; how about highlighting text and then dragging it to the gesture area, which will bring up the minimized card view, allowing you to drag the text to whichever open app you want, or to it's icon in the launcher, and POW! Pasted text.
    Love this idea... I bet it could be made to be really slick. Drag the text to the gesture area, and a dialogue window scrolls up from the bottom, which says either "Copy to" or "move to..." ... Tap one of those choices, and then the card view pops up. I love it! That would be awesome!
    I suppose the physical keyboard is not required. However, it does offer a fairly accurate typing experience, regardless of its ease of use. Just by typing on a Pre I could tell that while it wasn't a joy to type on, I barely made any mistakes. I like physical keyboards for this reason, although a virtual keyboard option could never hurt for tasks such as entering Web URL's.

I'm not really sure what you are talking about to be honest, but the card metaphor seems adequate right now.

3. Arguably, with almost no money and limited resources, Palm out-innovated everyone last year. I'll say straight out they clowned Google, who I'm sure wishes they thought of webOS first, and couldn't improve Android as fast as Palm launched an entirely new OS. How did they do this? Rubinstein's vision? California magic? And if it forces other companies to innovate just as fast, given that limited money and resources, how can Palm keep up with the Apple and Google types?
    Palm quite simply saw their imminent demise and decided to just rise from apathy and kick ****. They had something to lose, and as such were motivated to out-innovate all the rest (they also hired a great staff).

4. What do you think about the Palm Pre Plus and Palm Pixi Plus? From last year to this, Apple went from the iPhone 3G/2.0 to iPhone 3GS/3.0, Android went from the G1/1.0 to the DROID/2.0. On the other hand, Microsoft went from Windows Mobile 6 to 6.5 and BlackBerry from the 9000 to 9700. How much of an improvement has Palm made over the last year, and blending into the previous question, is it enough for you? What are you happy they added, what are you sad they didn't?
    In my opinion the plus series phones are not really a new model, just a revision. However, unlike many haters I find the Pre to still be great, and can't wait for it to arrive on AT&T.

5. What's next for Palm? They're getting on more carriers, so what else do they need 2010 to bring? Do they need webOS 2.0? Another device form-factor? Some huge app announcements? A content deal? Their own local sync software? What pieces do they simply have to add this year not just to survive, but to be one of the big players heading into 2011?
    DEVELOPERS,DEVELOPERS, DEVELOERS! Essentially, more good apps, an upgraded and faster (GPU acceleraion) OS, and maybe a new phone or two (although this isn't essential). Greater carrier support is a must as well, and with each launch the advertising must not be as crappy as what has been shown in the US as so far.

6. If you could steal one feature of the iPhone and give it to webOS, what would it be? By contrast, what single feature does webOS have you'd miss most if you had to switch to an iPhone (like for the Round Robin). There's pros and cons to every device, so I'm trying to get the best sense of trade-offs I can.
    Speed. WebOS can be pretty laggy from my experience, and by using GPU accleration and the like to speed up navigation and application loading the user experience would be greatly improved.

-Tofurkeymeister
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast