Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    nice review for webOS...although I think that you gave the hardware a bit of a negative review than it deserves. I happen to love the Pre just as it's designed!
    I am going to answer all of your questions in order.

1. The multitouch part I'm okay with. Familiar territory. But the keyboard at the bottom of both, do I *really* need it? I've gotten to love virtual keyboards so much I've arrogantly proclaimed the era of physical keyboards is over. Was Ruby right though, and Jobs wrong, would none of you prefer a webOS slab with a huge screen and no keyboard? Like an HD2 or Nexus style webOS OGRE?
    While I can use a virtual keyboard, I much prefer a physical one. I would like to see palm come out with a landscape slider phone eventually though (to allow for a larger keyboard). I do think they did a pretty good job on the shape of the buttons on the pre though to make it easier to type on the smaller keyboard.

2. You totally kick Apple's **** on notifications and multitasking. The multitasking visual metaphor is so good, in fact, that it's making me mad I can drag between cards. I do that a lot on the desktop, click and drag between windows. Is that something you can see Palm adding to webOS, tap and drag between cards? Or is that even needed on a mobile device yet?
    If you are talking about trying to drag a picture or highlighted text between cards, you can just copy and paste. I think actually dragging things between cards wouldn't work to well on a mobile phone mainly because of the limited screen size... but the copy and paste on the pre works pretty well.

3. Arguably, with almost no money and limited resources, Palm out-innovated everyone last year. I'll say straight out they clowned Google, who I'm sure wishes they thought of webOS first, and couldn't improve Android as fast as Palm launched an entirely new OS. How did they do this? Rubinstein's vision? California magic? And if it forces other companies to innovate just as fast, given that limited money and resources, how can Palm keep up with the Apple and Google types?
    I think the main thing that palm has over apple is having the phone on more than one carrier. The main thing they have over google is a more polished OS. While the Android os is a very powerful and capable OS, it just lacks the polish and small details that WebOS has IMHO.

4. What do you think about the Palm Pre Plus and Palm Pixi Plus? From last year to this, Apple went from the iPhone 3G/2.0 to iPhone 3GS/3.0, Android went from the G1/1.0 to the DROID/2.0. On the other hand, Microsoft went from Windows Mobile 6 to 6.5 and BlackBerry from the 9000 to 9700. How much of an improvement has Palm made over the last year, and blending into the previous question, is it enough for you? What are you happy they added, what are you sad they didn't?
    Palm has had a great track record of releasing an update to the OS about once a month (or two months). Each update has brought with it great new features. The best update so far I believe would have to be the addition of GPU support. I was sad that the same update didn't bring in a video recorder, but that is coming in Febuary so I can wait (same with Adobe Flash).

5. What's next for Palm? They're getting on more carriers, so what else do they need 2010 to bring? Do they need webOS 2.0? Another device form-factor? Some huge app announcements? A content deal? Their own local sync software? What pieces do they simply have to add this year not just to survive, but to be one of the big players heading into 2011?
    I think that so far Palm has been doing great with WebOS and they are driving it in all of the right directions. They have already taken the proper steps to ensure that they don't loose any ground in 2010. They released GPU support and announced the soon to be released PDK. I don't think we could ask for much more from them for 2010. Perhaps they need to look at what patches are commonly used and integrate them into the core WebOS in order to turn it into what the customers want it to be.

6. If you could steal one feature of the iPhone and give it to webOS, what would it be? By contrast, what single feature does webOS have you'd miss most if you had to switch to an iPhone (like for the Round Robin). There's pros and cons to every device, so I'm trying to get the best sense of trade-offs I can.
    To be completely honest, I can't think of anything that the iPhone has that I wish the Pre had. By that I mean everything I want that the iPhone has, the Pre has already got it, or it has been announced (like video recording).

The single feature that I would miss if I had to swap to the iPhone would probably be the ease of multitasking (with the excellent notification system in a close second).
    yes, thought the review was nice but I do think there will be virtual keyboard users and physical keyboard users for a long time--there is no need to just have one option
    still going!
  5. o14
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cryptk View Post
    To be completely honest, I can't think of anything that the iPhone has that I wish the Pre had. By that I mean everything I want that the iPhone has, the Pre has already got it, or it has been announced (like video recording).
    How about a 32 gb model? Everyone likes more space, right? Or at least the option of more space.
    Quote Originally Posted by trodecke View Post
    Gestures! I'm lost now when I use a smartphone that doesn't have gestures. I liken it to getting a DVR. Before you had one you laughed at everyone that says it'll change your life. After getting one you're constantly looking for the skip back button whenever anything happens, on TV or not. Since I've started using gestures to move around the phone I really dislike having to look for a "back" button or "home" button.
    This is EXACTLY right! And just like TiVo took forever to get that message out, and it didn't really happen until cable operators bundled DVR into their boxes, I fear Apple will "invent" gestures in OS 4.0.
    Palm history: II, IIIc, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, FrankenPre+, (legit) Pre+ & TouchPad.
    lets just hope apple doesn expand to verizon and sprint...that may hurt palm...palm need to ADVERTISE MORE what the webos is capable to do!! I only see pixie commercials!! Whyy! Ppl need to know about webos. Such a great os and pre is a killer phone...just wait til webos is around 3 years like iphones os..the rate webos is goin I can see it on top
    entry post
    Contest entry for SPE Round Robin smartphone giveaway.
    I'm lost when i move between my fiancee's Pre and my Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by Rene Ritchie View Post
    1. The multitouch part I'm okay with. Familiar territory. But the keyboard at the bottom of both, do I *really* need it? I've gotten to love virtual keyboards so much I've arrogantly proclaimed the era of physical keyboards is over. Was Ruby right though, and Jobs wrong, would none of you prefer a webOS slab with a huge screen and no keyboard? Like an HD2 or Nexus style webOS OGRE?
    I *LOVE* a great hardware keyboard (HTC TP2), but I also feel that a good software keyboard is acceptable (iPone). I don't feel as though the pre keyboard is anything to gloat over. I would not mind the pre being thinner and a bit bigger in screen real estate with a good software keyboard.
    I'm back!
    another day, another entry
    one more week!
    Posted this about the Pixi Plus yesterday:

forums.precentral.net/cross-platform-chat/227542-pixi-plus-iphone-3g-first-impression.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Rene Ritchie View Post
    I keep forgetting that while the Palm Pre was shown off at CES 2009 in January, and Pre Plus is shown off 1 year later at CES 2010, it's *shipping* far sooner than Pre did -- January vs. June so the 1/2 life refresh is spot on.

But then what device do we need to see from Palm in June? Pre 2 with webOS 2? Are Apple and Google setting the pace at one major OS upgrade per year, and is that reasonable?

@cardfan -- Verizon marketing is key. Look at DROID vs. BlackBerry Storm2. They threw Storm2 under the bus to market the DROID. Will Palm Pre be marketed as heavily as DROID, or as little as Storm2? I'm *guessing* somewhere in between. Will that be enough to sell units for Palm?
    I think Palm needs to release a new device this summer. I see the plus models as a good interim step. 1 major upgrade per year seems to be the norm now. You've mentioned how nice the glass screen is on the iphone. Do you think a glass screen would make a Palm device more responsive or just feel more solid? I'm not expecting Verizon to give Palm much support from what I have seen so far. Curious to see if they actually get the iphone this year.
    contest entry
  18. o14
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Is the contest still on?
    i thought it was...not sure now..
    Haven't seen anything new for this week, so I assume we still use this thread for now.
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast